Comptech's new CAI vs AEM's

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech's new CAI vs AEM's

I talked to a Comptech employee in California who told me that they designed, built, and were in the final testing phase of their custom CAI for our CL-S. I was told it has a foam filter type unit, and that will bolt on and look like it came from the factory -- easy to believe, as Comptech designs and manufactures quality stuff.

However, it seems that almost everyone in this forum swears by the AEM CAI (which has a K&N paper filter). I've seen the posted dyno results with the AEM and I'm impressed as well. However, I recently heard from an Acura mechanic, who builds and runs slammed boy-racer cars, that the Integras and Civics with AEM CAI's have been known to inhale water and blow an engine. BTW, he didn't think much of the bypass valve.

I was wondering what you gurus think of Comptech's approach, especially in light of the old "foam vs paper" filter battle.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

2001 3.2 CL-S
NAVI
Satin Silver
-
Comptech Headers
H&R OE Sport Springs
Koni Yellows
Comptech Anti-sways
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie Bar
-
JL Audio 300/4, 250/1 monoblock
JL Audio 10W6 sub in custom enclosure
Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.5's
Boston Acoustics RM9's
Old 08-09-2001, 02:25 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

From the posts I've read on the Comptech site, this thing ins't supposed to be out until AFTER the infamous supercharger comes out.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DELETED -- god I wish the delete function was back and the Insync network didn't have a 1 second latency!

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]
Old 08-09-2001, 02:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>I talked to a Comptech employee in California who told me that they designed, built, and were in the final testing phase of their custom CAI for our CL-S. I was told it has a foam filter type unit, and that will bolt on and look like it came from the factory -- easy to believe, as Comptech designs and manufactures quality stuff.

However, it seems that almost everyone in this forum swears by the AEM CAI (which has a K&N paper filter). I've seen the posted dyno results with the AEM and I'm impressed as well. However, I recently heard from an Acura mechanic, who builds and runs slammed boy-racer cars, that the Integras and Civics with AEM CAI's have been known to inhale water and blow an engine. BTW, he didn't think much of the bypass valve.

I was wondering what you gurus think of Comptech's approach, especially in light of the old "foam vs paper" filter battle.

Thanks!

</STRONG>
The foam will let in silica (I know that for a fact -- I've used it in previous engines.

The K&N is gauze, not paper.

The bypass valve in its as it is now fixed would work just fine. Go check out the test they did in Sport Compact Car with the Acura NSX. I reported this first on the site (about the aricle), then someone found the online article about a month later.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys, and sorry about calling the K&N filter "paper" instead of "gauze."

BTW, what's the scoop on the infamous Comptech supercharger now undergoing testing that everyone's drooling over. Won't it cost like a gazillion dollars?

In the meantime, should I still assume that our Acura CL forum's conventional wisdom recommends the AEM CAI?

C'mon, guys -- let's hear from you!

-----------------------------------------

2001 3.2 CL-S
NAVI
Satin Silver
-
Comptech Headers
H&R OE Sport Springs
Koni Yellows
Comptech Anti-sways
-
JL Audio 300/4, 250/1 monoblock
Boston Acoustics RM9's

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-09-2001, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

If I get teh comptech icebox or I wouldn't use teh foam filter, instead i'd switch it out w/ a K&N and just keep the rest.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:52 AM
Instructor

Hmmm...swapping in a K&N filter sounds like a good solution (providing one would be available to fit). I noticed that you called the new Comptech CAI an Icebox. Isn't that the name of a CAI already in production?

I really don't want my CL-S to sound like a ricer-mobile--we got waay too much class for that. However, I still would like to squeeze out a few more "stealhy" HP now that I've got headers. I heard the .wav files of the late "ZipHead" CAI, and it wasn't too obnoxious; but, he's history now.

I've noticed that a couple of members have the Injen CAI, and I was wondering how that compared with the AEM CAI-- noisewise and performance-wise.

thanks

------------------------------------

2001 3.2 CL-S
NAVI
Satin Silver
-
Comptech Headers
H&R OE Sport Springs
Koni Yellows
Comptech Anti-sways
-
JL Audio 300/4 amp
JL Audio 250/1 monoblock amp
Boston Acoustics RM9's

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-10-2001, 12:32 PM
Instructor

The AEM isn't loud. You don't really notice it until you floor it. With the audio setup you have, I'd think you'd only hear bass
Old 08-10-2001, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Get the AEM, it makes a diff and only has a sweet sound over 3500 rpm or so. Plus, it so perty!
Old 08-10-2001, 02:14 PM
Prez & GC, .Net

Lovely...lots of replies but no real answers.

Ok..here are some info.

As some of you know, bunch of us Accord V6'ers have been in constant contact w/ Mike B, the GM of Comptech. One of our moderators Momoney, aka Maurice have extensive talks with Mike and one of the engineers of the whole SC project.

The Comptech "Icebox" NOT to be confused w/ the Iceman Cold air intake, was designed to work hand in hand with the SC. When the SC comes out (by now..its almost a certainty) It will include the Icebox. SO..for all you folks salivating at the prospect of the SC coming out next year....save your money for now. Wait for the whole package to come out next year...cuz You'll have to take out your AEM CAI anyways (chances are very likely that it won't fit in there once the SC is installed) Those of you who went on the Comptech Open House tour that Maurice organized, know some of this already.

Rumor has it that it will outperform the AEM CAI (w/o the SC) so it depends on whether you want to wait or not. It's all due out next Spring or Summer....just my estimate. Also keep in mind that Comptech designed the Icebox to compete against the AEM CAI.

Dizzy
Old 08-10-2001, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
369$ is steep
Old 08-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Banned

It's design is similar to any other CAI..with the exception of a molded tube that leads to the front of the car..aka ram air...just look at the one they have for the Integra..it's not going to be any different.
I have ram air too...just doesn't look as nice...
Old 08-10-2001, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Thanks, guys!

Diz, Good info, thanks! I'm gonna wait until the Icebox comes out next year and make my decision then.

In the meantime, dlew308, I'll listen to my JL Audio-tuned exhaust.

typeR, Is $369 a suggested "retail" price (MSRP) for the Icebox, just like $350 is the MSRP for the AEM CAI or $290 the MSRP for the Injen?

------------------------------------

2001 3.2 CL-S
NAVI
Satin Silver
-
Comptech Headers
H&R OE Sport Springs
Koni Yellows
Comptech Anti-sways
-
JL Audio 300/4 amp