CompTech Supercharger Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 06:05 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CompTech Supercharger Questions???

CompTech claims they have put alot of consideration in their design of the SC to provide high reliability. So what does this really mean?

Those of you who have installed a CT SC or know someone who has, how reliable is the SC?

Have any failed?

Does it required any maintenance? If there is any maintenance required, how often and what parts need servicing or replaced?

Can you just install the SC and forget about it like it's part of the factory engine that's highly reliable?

After looking at the picture of the SC, I noticed that the battery is no where in view. This makes me think that servicing or replacing the battery could be a major undertaking. How would you jump start the car in the event of a dead battery?
Old 06-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech has spent a lot of time in R&D with the S/C to make sure everything is ok with it. The consideration they are talking about is making sure the S/C was not too big or too small for the car and still be efficient.

The S/C is very reliable---the unit itself has a 100,000 mile warranty on it. To the best of my knowledge Comptech has not had any S/C's fail for the CL/TL/Accord.

The only maintenance required is to change the S/C oil about every 35,000 miles or so....other than that, just get in and enjoy. The belt would probably need to be changed about that time as well. Both of these are pretty inexpensive.

The battery has been relocated down on the frame rail. You also need to obtain a smaller battery in order for it to fit down there. In the event that you do have to jump the car, it will be a little more difficult than to jump a stock car---but not impossible.

Thanks
Dean
Old 06-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when I get my S/C dry cell battery right in the trunk problem solved not only that but will help with balancing the added weight of the S/C

I cant wait but I need to see some ### before anything is considered...not that it doesn't perform but more performance to $$$ equation
Old 06-15-2003, 07:35 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't the replacement battery a Honda 51R? Also, have there ever been any known engine failures (rod or main bearings) as a result of the SC?

Originally posted by Deansbluesi
Comptech has spent a lot of time in R&D with the S/C to make sure everything is ok with it. The consideration they are talking about is making sure the S/C was not too big or too small for the car and still be efficient.

The S/C is very reliable---the unit itself has a 100,000 mile warranty on it. To the best of my knowledge Comptech has not had any S/C's fail for the CL/TL/Accord.

The only maintenance required is to change the S/C oil about every 35,000 miles or so....other than that, just get in and enjoy. The belt would probably need to be changed about that time as well. Both of these are pretty inexpensive.

The battery has been relocated down on the frame rail. You also need to obtain a smaller battery in order for it to fit down there. In the event that you do have to jump the car, it will be a little more difficult than to jump a stock car---but not impossible.

Thanks
Dean
Old 06-15-2003, 08:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The spark-plugs thing is the gotcha with this kit... other than that I think its a slam-dunk (especially the CARB stuff for us california folks!).
Old 06-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Not Fast Enough

what do you mean is the gotcha do the stock plugs not hold up, if not what plugs would you need to run with this kit?

6-spd
icebox cai
Old 06-15-2003, 09:52 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The battery is a 51R (Integra battery)

Yes the supercharger must be removed to access the front plugs however this is not the drama it is made out to be it is actually quite easy to take out plus it need only be done every 60 k miles so no big deal there.

There have been no reported cases of engine damage that I am aware of .

Accessing the battery is straightforward ,remove airbox loosen terminals remove the hold down out it comes .

Other than an occasional oil change and maintaining belt tension there is little that needs attention .I believe the service interval for the oil is 30 k miles but I would have to go reread that before I get qouted on it .The belt is a small one locally obtainable .

Honestly the biggest pain in the ass is changing the left side high beam bulb as it is very close to the overflow bottle for the cooling system so some manual dexterity is needed for that .

Jens
Old 06-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

cls6sp03,......The spark plugs in the front bank are not accesable without removing the blower, which will be an hour or two total with the plug change. Change the plugs at 35k, and the blower lube at 70k. Yes you can install it and forget about it, but you may want to add a few gauges. The 51R battery is the one you need, but it doesn't have to be Honda brand, if that's what you meant. As far as jumping goes, there is plenty of room, you just have to watch the + handles if they're not insulated.

lou,..... When you're figuring out the "more performance to $$$ equation", make sure you can mathamaticaly figure the difference of "all the area under the curve". I'm not sure of the equation, but I'm pretty sure the SC will suprise you if you can do the math that way, and compare it to the other mods, I/H/E, the same way.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SLY1TYPES
what do you mean is the gotcha do the stock plugs not hold up, if not what plugs would you need to run with this kit?

6-spd
icebox cai
The kit comes with new plugs. They are colder plugs, and shoud be changed at 35k miles per the manufacturer. You can check the rear bank and stretch the change if they look good.