Comptech Sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002 | 02:37 PM
Got BOOST????

Comptech Sucks!!!

Just put in my sways and the front are the same as stock!!!!! What a waste of $300 bucks. i would of known they were the same size, i would of just of bought just the rears from newspeed. I'm going to write to them and complain. How do u guys feel about the situation?
Old 04-21-2002 | 02:39 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Are you sure? Rumour has it that the front bar is of thicker sidewall. Weigh them in to verify for the rest of us.
Old 04-21-2002 | 02:42 PM
Got BOOST????

i put them in already. the felt the same weight and i compaired them side to side. of course the might be a little heaver since i didn't weigh them(my arm dont have scales on them) but the def looked the same
Old 04-21-2002 | 02:44 PM

Just checking because the front Neuspeed bar also looks the same. The only real difference is in weight were the Neuspeed bar is at least 2x the weight of the stock bar (VERY NOTICABLE).
Old 04-21-2002 | 02:45 PM
Got BOOST????

in the sways or the strut bar?
Old 04-21-2002 | 02:48 PM

Originally posted by bnavarro
in the sways or the strut bar?
we are talking about the sways no? so yeah...im sticking to the subject and keeping it focused on the sways.
Old 04-21-2002 | 02:51 PM
Got BOOST????

k
Old 04-21-2002 | 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Although they are the same size as the stock ones, they are most likely made from better materials and are not as hollow as the stocks...Haven't heard anything bad from them before. Have you driven with the sways yet? Just know that they don't necessarily have to be bigger in size always.
Old 04-21-2002 | 04:35 PM
Got BOOST????

i just put them on today but i haven't really felt a difference. i also got the ebaich strut bar. my coilovers are on there way. i sure i should feel a big difference with all that on my car.
Old 04-21-2002 | 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by edgalang
Just checking because the front Neuspeed bar also looks the same. The only real difference is in weight were the Neuspeed bar is at least 2x the weight of the stock bar (VERY NOTICABLE).
It's called solid vs hollow.

The stock bars are hollow while the aftermarket ones are solid. That is why they are so much heavier.
Old 04-21-2002 | 06:43 PM
Instructor

both the stock and the Comptech FRONT bars are hollow; the difference is in the wall thickness and if memory serves me correct the wall thickness on the Comptech front bar is about 40% greater than the stock. Hence it flexes less, but looks about the same from the outside.

rear bar however, in both cases, is solid and you can easily see that the Comptech bar is thicker overall...

I found that the addtion of both bars made a major difference in flex and roll of the car.....
Old 04-21-2002 | 06:52 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

i just put them on today but i haven't really felt a difference. i also got the ebaich strut bar. my coilovers are on there way. i sure i should feel a big difference with all that on my car.
go faster and you'll notice it. like a freeway onramp or something
Old 04-21-2002 | 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

it sucks to not know stuff.
Old 04-21-2002 | 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Now apologize to Comptech:P
Old 04-21-2002 | 07:43 PM
Got BOOST????

i'm still not impressed with Comptech. A company has to impress me to win my confidance. The rear sway bar impressed me, but not the front. Plus, $1300 for headers, i think not.
Old 04-21-2002 | 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Well..

I think (I could be completely, and utterly wrong, but it sounds good to me) that the Comptech sways were balanced by Comptech to induce a certain amount of understeer, or oversteer to the vehicle.

It was originally designed for the Accord, but Comptech found that it could be used on the CL as well (and I commend them for keeping the prices the same, instead of marketing it as a 'CL' specific sway kit, which they could have done, even though the prices are a little more).

I definetly felt a serious difference in the cornering ability of my car with the addition of the sways (even after having had driven the car around with springs for a good 6/7 months). The differences as reported by Comptech are kind of interesting, and hopefully someone can shed more light onto this; but it was reported that the fronts are 60% stiffer than stock, and the rears are 140% stiffer than stock. How can you have anything over 100%, unless the % given is less rigid than stock (using this philosophy the fronts may be less rigid than stock).

-I would assume having everything stiffer would not necessarily be a good thing, but again what do I know??

I love my Comptech mods, but if you're unhappy with them, I am pretty sure you'll be able to find someone on the board to take them off of your hands
Old 04-21-2002 | 09:44 PM
Safety Car

Plus, $1300 for headers, i think not.
Hey, don't talk crap about the headers, I def notice them at high rpm. Try them and you'll know...
Old 04-21-2002 | 09:54 PM
Darth Chocolate

Re: Well..

Originally posted by JSuppi
The differences as reported by Comptech are kind of interesting, and hopefully someone can shed more light onto this; but it was reported that the fronts are 60% stiffer than stock, and the rears are 140% stiffer than stock. How can you have anything over 100%, unless the % given is less rigid than stock (using this philosophy the fronts may be less rigid than stock).
60% stiffer means take the current stiffness of the front sway and add 60 percent:

Comptech = Stock + ( .60 * Stock)

OR

Comptech = Stock * 1.60

The percentage is relational and has nothing to do with how close to perfectly stiff they are. 140% stiffer means they are 2.4 times as stiff in the rear.

Man... Beavis and Butthead would have a good chuckle over this conversation...
Old 04-22-2002 | 01:13 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Well..

Originally posted by Sypher

60% stiffer means take the current stiffness of the front sway and add 60 percent:

Comptech = Stock + ( .60 * Stock)

OR

Comptech = Stock * 1.60

The percentage is relational and has nothing to do with how close to perfectly stiff they are. 140% stiffer means they are 2.4 times as stiff in the rear.

Man... Beavis and Butthead would have a good chuckle over this conversation...
you can also think of it like this.

say stock takes 5 pounds of pressure to bend it. now if a bar takes 10 pounds to bend it, that means it is 100% stiffer. now if it takes 15 pounds to bend then we got 200% stiffer. Get the idea?
Old 04-22-2002 | 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

8i don't know about that...i think the sways are worth their weight in gold.

sounds like a case of choosing a book by its cover.
Old 04-22-2002 | 10:36 AM

Originally posted by SilverBullet

It's called solid vs hollow.

The stock bars are hollow while the aftermarket ones are solid. That is why they are so much heavier.

Yeah I know what's the difference between solid vs hollow...I have them for god's sake (The solid ones...unlike the Comptech hollow ones) I just wanted him to verify the weight so no longer can people say that XYZ brand is 215% thicker than stocks yata yata yata without any data to proove the statements. I for one am not specifically against Comptech...I just want hard data and not guesstimates about how much thicker the Comptech bar is. The only way we can know for sure is if people either cut open then Comptech bar...or weight the stock ones side by side.

Now whether or not they are both made of the same material is a whole nother subject.
Old 04-22-2002 | 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Yeah I know what's the difference between solid vs hollow...I have them for god's sake (The solid ones...unlike the Comptech hollow ones)
What sways do you have that are more solid than the comptechs??
Old 04-22-2002 | 11:36 AM
Safety Car

says on his sig he has Neuspeed sways
Old 04-22-2002 | 11:53 AM
Old timer

I thought I remember there was a change of doing chasis damage with the Neuspeed sways because they were TOO strong for our car. Just what I vaguely remember hearing.
Old 04-22-2002 | 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by JRock
I thought I remember there was a change of doing chasis damage with the Neuspeed sways because they were TOO strong for our car. Just what I vaguely remember hearing.

Screw that if its the case, we've got enough rattles and noises as it is...
Old 04-22-2002 | 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
says on his sig he has Neuspeed sways
whoops..all i saw were the struts Too early i guess..
Old 04-22-2002 | 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

That rumor was squashed when someone got into an accident
with them on. I believe the bar broke before the joint on the
car that they were bolted to.
Old 04-22-2002 | 12:48 PM

I thought I remember there was a chance of doing chasis damage with the Neuspeed sways because they were TOO strong for our car. Just what I vaguely remember hearing.
Possibly...but it has yet to happen to anyone...so until it does...it will remain as a rumour. I dont' really baby my car in turns but then again I have yet to enter a turn and go over a sidewalk at the same time. I've heard the chasis breaking rumour since last year (that's when I first was thinking about the sways) but let me tell you first hand that the chasis will not be the one that breaks....but its the endlink rods that will since the innards are made of plastic and will give waaaaaay before you do any chasis damage. People with Comptechs have already broken their endlink rods pushing their cars to the limit in a track...and just like any sway setup, that is what will break before anything (kinda like a fuse in a circuit).

The night of January 27 is the day I pushed my car to the limit and hit a concrete divider. I spun out and my rear end was crushed along with some major suspention damage. Needless to say the sways and the custom brackets they came with held on strong and it was the endlink rods that broke away. (I heard about miatas running with really thick sways and tearing their chasis up before...but I really dont know if they have any safety net like we do. Maybe they connect the the sways directly to each end without breakaway parts...but I'm 100% sure that we don't)

Here's a test for all you Comptech users....enter a hard turn then all of a sudden go up a sidewalk on one side. I can assure you that even with the stock bar setup that the endlink rods will break first before anything (well maybe a popped tire and/or a bent rim). Having a stiffer bar will only push the stress limits of the rod further...but it wasnt until my collision did my rods break.

I have pics just in case anyone wants to look at the rods up close. I am not denying of the possibility of underbody chasis damage with larger sways, but if it wasn't for the plastic end pieces then maybe I'd start worrying.

Here is a pic of the endlink rods I was talking about. Inside each tip is made up of plastic if you look real close.
Old 04-22-2002 | 12:54 PM

Now here is a pic for you non believers

The circle shows the broken endlink rod.

BTW this is a picture of the entire rear suspention taken out along with the extremely flexible gas tank.

Oh and Closer...that somebody was me
Old 04-22-2002 | 01:36 PM
Safety Car

So then, is your TL a gonner?

Now here is a pic for you non believers

The circle shows the broken endlink rod.

BTW this is a picture of the entire rear suspention taken out along with the extremely flexible gas tank.

Oh and Closer...that somebody was me
Old 04-22-2002 | 01:44 PM

So then, is your TL a gonner?

Nope...apparently 20k can make your car rise from the dead!

Still in the bodyshop as we speak.

Initial quote was for 17k...but they found further damage like the transfer case is cracked....and my HIDs were stolen...so that should shoot me to the 20k range. I'll post total costs once I get my baby back.
Old 04-22-2002 | 01:48 PM
Safety Car

Initial quote was for 17k...but they found further damage like the transfer case is cracked....and my HIDs were stolen...so that should shoot me to the 20k range. I'll post total costs once I get my baby back.
the money is no object right ...Just glad to hear shes alive...
Old 04-22-2002 | 01:53 PM

the money is no object right ...Just glad to hear shes alive...

Far from the truth. Insurance has me covered...phew! I am the farthest thing from a baller. (because if I was...youd see headers and rims in my sig) :P
Old 04-22-2002 | 06:13 PM
Pro

$20k to replace a car worth $32k new ??

Why didn't the insurance company total it ???
Old 04-22-2002 | 07:34 PM
My other car is a 350Z

i'm still not impressed with Comptech. A company has to impress me to win my confidance. The rear sway bar impressed me, but not the front. Plus, $1300 for headers, i think not.
How can you be impressed by 1 of 2 matched sway bars and not both?
Old 04-24-2002 | 02:59 PM
Got BOOST????

Mike B at Comptech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The front bars are the same OD but have a different wall thickness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Posts: 724 | Joined April 2001 | Posted on: 11:40 am on April 24, 2002 | IP

That's what comptech has to say about it
Old 04-24-2002 | 06:46 PM
DJF
Instructor

Comptech, at the risk of ridicule, distrust and loss of business, would NOT make sway bars with identical characteristics as stock bars. On the other hand, I installed Suspension Techniques sways on my old '95 Accord. They are 27mm Front, 22mm rear and SOLID! What a difference they made! Too bad S/T does not make bars to fit the CL.
Old 04-24-2002 | 08:56 PM
Got BOOST????

i think they do
Old 04-24-2002 | 09:59 PM

i think they do

Dude, I think its really gay to come on and bash comptech!

At least they give a damn about making performance parts for our car...
Old 04-24-2002 | 10:35 PM
Retired Post Whore

Originally posted by TypeSKid

Dude, I think its really gay to come on and bash comptech!

At least they give a damn about making performance parts for our car...

Quick Reply: Comptech Sucks!!!