Is the Comptech Ice-box worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Comptech Ice-box worth the wait?

Im considering buying the K&N drop-in filter for my stock box without the resonator.
I wanted the Ice-box but who knows when its coming out, personally that bullshit story about the resonance Im not buying. Comptech claims they compared the idle sounds between the AEM with the Ice-box and AEM is quieter......come on how can that be true if the Ice-box is almost completely covered. In my opinion they compared the two setups and which one do you think posted more HP that's right AEM. This is only speculation but it happens all the time when a new product comes out it has to outperform the current market and I think it didn't in this case. What do you guys think..... fawk the Icebox and get the drop-in or hold out for the so called quieter Ice-box?????thx
Old 12-09-2002, 07:31 PM
The Liquidator

well i just purchased the aem for my 6 spd TODAY..it jus came out for the 6 spds and i havent installed it yet....The guy told me Dont get the icebox as it will have lesser gains then the AEM..i dont know how credible that guy is but he is running a performance shop so i dont know..i have no clue!

PH
Old 12-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Drifting

I doubt the Icebox would have lesser gains. Most likely similar gains. But I can see a few reasons for getting the Icebox. 1) Much easier to change and clean the filter and 2) Not as much fear of hydrolock as from a CAI.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by peiqinglong
I doubt the Icebox would have lesser gains. Most likely similar gains. But I can see a few reasons for getting the Icebox. 1) Much easier to change and clean the filter and 2) Not as much fear of hydrolock as from a CAI.
easier than a drop-in? wouldn't it be similar access? The only advantage with the Ice box over the stock-box is the cone filter which will only help in very high RPM. In moderate RPM....very little difference between panel and cone filters. Same material in both so I don't know

I'll even consider the Comptech drop-in since I heard that foam filters better than cotton.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:57 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by purplehaze
well i just purchased the aem for my 6 spd TODAY..it jus came out for the 6 spds and i havent installed it yet....The guy told me Dont get the icebox as it will have lesser gains then the AEM..i dont know how credible that guy is but he is running a performance shop so i dont know..i have no clue!

PH
What vendor?

Are you referring to this AEM part number?
    I cannot find anyone that has it and I was doubting that it exists.
    Old 12-09-2002, 08:59 PM
    Drifting

Originally posted by lou
    easier than a drop-in? wouldn't it be similar access? The only advantage with the Ice box over the stock-box is the cone filter which will only help in very high RPM. In moderate RPM....very little difference between panel and cone filters. Same material in both so I don't know

I'll even consider the Comptech drop-in since I heard that foam filters better than cotton.
    Actually sorry...I wasn't very specific about what I was comparing. This is the Icebox compared to the CAI.
    Old 12-09-2002, 11:43 PM
    Pro

Originally posted by purplehaze

PH
    Where did you buy it?? I tried every AEM website and none of them are available.
    Old 12-10-2002, 01:00 AM
    Under the radar

So for "real" day-to-day driving the Ice Box won't offer much for $300 or so it will cost?

I am beginning to doubt I will be adding ANY engine mods to my car. Why bother if I am not cruising around at 4000+ RPMs all the time.
    Old 12-10-2002, 02:30 AM
    werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
    4000+ cruising rpms are fun =/
    Old 12-10-2002, 07:20 AM
    cor
    MR O'NEAL

the dynos on icebox are suppose to be equal to or greater than the AEM all across RPM board
    Old 12-10-2002, 09:48 AM
    Drifting

Originally posted by CLSter
    So for "real" day-to-day driving the Ice Box won't offer much for $300 or so it will cost?

I am beginning to doubt I will be adding ANY engine mods to my car. Why bother if I am not cruising around at 4000+ RPMs all the time.
    I don't think there is much mods that can help you with low end torque, but as far as "real" day to day driving, unless your foot only know 45mph, I seem to put into use my headers and CAI quite a bit.
    Old 12-10-2002, 10:50 AM
    Revving at 9K...

I agree with peiqinglong, I at least kick in the Vtec once a day when I get on the highway. It's like music to my ears.
    Old 12-10-2002, 11:56 AM
    Cost Drivers!!!!

Lou,

I'm waiting for the Ice-Box. I believe the design is solid. There are advantages over the AEM pipe.
    Old 12-10-2002, 12:10 PM
    Drifting

Originally posted by Zapata
    Lou,

I'm waiting for the Ice-Box. I believe the design is solid. There are advantages over the AEM pipe.
    For example...better dissappation of heat.
    Old 12-10-2002, 02:56 PM
    Do it! U Only Live Once!

I have the K&N drop-in on my CL-S and have been pretty happy with it. I am also considering the Icebox as well.
    Old 12-10-2002, 03:15 PM
    Where is my super sauce?

I'm probably going to wait for the ice box as well. I'm just curious if the AEM part #21-509 for the six speeder is real or not.
    Old 12-10-2002, 03:21 PM
    Drifting

Here is a link from the AEM sight...the 6 spd CAI IS OUT. It just came out. I just got an E mail from the someone at AEM telling me it is on the shelfs. This is from the guy who was on here a few months ago trying to get some pics of OR get a 6spd to AEM so they can get one to fit. It looks like the have one that fits both and one that is for the MT only?!?! Maybe yeah maybe no but it is out. http://www.aempower.com/application/6_10_02.htm

Old 12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
    Suzuka Master

Re: Is the Comptech Ice-box worth the wait?

Originally posted by lou
    personally that bullshit story about the resonance Im not buying. Comptech claims they compared the idle sounds between the AEM with the Ice-box and AEM is quieter......come on how can that be true if the Ice-box is almost completely covered.
    Would you believe that my custom box is noticeably louder at idle and WOT than the AEM setup?? There is a noticeable difference and the humming at idle is not desireable which should be corrected soon:
    Old 12-10-2002, 03:50 PM
    Drifting

Have any of you heard the Weapon R Ice Box? Moomaster has it and I've been in his car a couple of times. Even at idle you can still hear that thing...it might have to do with the filter being located so close up near the hood. I know the short rams are generally louder than CAIs due to that design. And also with the box encasement, think of a subwoofer...unidirectional sound...so I can see how scalbert's and the Icebox can be slightly louder....IMHO...maybe scalbert can chime in on why that can be or something. I heard from a TL dude on ATL who has the icebox for his TL-P and he says it's slightly louder than stock, but not as loud as a CAI. It has a deeper grumble on VTEC also.
    Old 12-10-2002, 03:58 PM
    Suzuka Master

I have several theories as to why it is louder and the humming is so pronouced and plan deteremining the solution soon. I just want to get in on the dyno better investing the time and money which will take place on Saturday.
    Old 12-10-2002, 06:29 PM
    Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by NOLACLS
    Here is a link from the AEM sight...the 6 spd CAI IS OUT. It just came out. I just got an E mail from the someone at AEM telling me it is on the shelfs. This is from the guy who was on here a few months ago trying to get some pics of OR get a 6spd to AEM so they can get one to fit. It looks like the have one that fits both and one that is for the MT only?!?! Maybe yeah maybe no but it is out. http://www.aempower.com/application/6_10_02.htm

I guess I'll reiterate what I said above -
    Originally posted by Slimey
    I'm just curious if the AEM part #21-509 for the six speeder is real or not.
    Yes, AEM has a six speed only part number on their site. I cannot find ANY vendor that has this item in stock, and really only one vendor that lists this part.
    Do you know of a vendor that has this part?
    Old 12-10-2002, 06:49 PM
    Pro

Originally posted by Slimey
    I guess I'll reiterate what I said above - Yes, AEM has a six speed only part number on their site. I cannot find ANY vendor that has this item in stock, and really only one vendor that lists this part.
    Do you know of a vendor that has this part?
    I called "Optauto" 5 mins ago, the guy told me is not released yet. Told me to call again 3~4 weeks later.

Then called AEM HQ in Hawthorne, CA. The sales person said they suppose to release today, but there is some technical problem and cannot put on the market yet (sounds like what Mike B @ Comptech told us ) Told me to call again this Friday for more details.

Is that mean so far there is NO CAI is special made for 6 speed on the market we can buy??
    Old 12-10-2002, 06:53 PM
    Where is my super sauce?

Thanks for the update. Just what I thought. All six-speed-only intakes are still just fantasies.

It looks like more waiting...no biggie though.
    Old 12-11-2002, 12:51 AM
    Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
    The icebox has better gains than the aem from what i've heard 14hp at 6000rpm, 12ft/lbs at 3000rpm, and the icebox from what i know mounts in the factory holes i believe and it's a cold air intake can't beat that!
    Old 12-11-2002, 11:50 AM
    Way Fast Whitey

Purple, how much did you pay for the AEM CAI?
    Old 12-11-2002, 01:11 PM
    Sick Spd Owner

AEM CAI Install instructions here, by yours truely: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ht=cai+install
    Old 12-11-2002, 02:53 PM
    Suzuka Master

I have the Weapon-R short ram intake. It makes a distinctive humming sound. I think it's unavoidable with a shorter intake.