Comptech Headers & Warranty as Acura sees it ... Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 01:36 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech Headers & Warranty as Acura sees it ... Help

Went to my local Acura dealer today and the factory rep told me that Acura's policy is very black and white regarding warranty and aftermarket mods. If in their opinion, a warranty problem is in any way related to the headers (for example), they won't cover it, period. He's in favor of mods, dealer even does them, but he hinted that I should be putting stock exhaust back on (nod nod wink wink) before visiting for repair should I buy/install Comptech headers. This despite Comptech's close relationship with Honda. What gives?? Don't ask, don't tell? Seems redundant if the same dealer did the install. Warranty or not? I'd like to get the headers but don't want to lose warranty. Acura just denied a kid there with a blown GS-R "due to mods" and saved themselves $10,000 in engine/trans warranty work. Any thoughts from you "higher ups"?

------------------
CL-S PDG, TR Typhoon Wheels, Comptech Sways, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 hard wired & remote.
Old 06-21-2001, 02:24 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats what happened to me. My engine was blown because they didnt fix it right, and they did not cover it, beacause of my mods. I/H/E and Pulleys.

Spiro
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bc01cls:
Went to my local Acura dealer today and the factory rep told me that Acura's policy is very black and white regarding warranty and aftermarket mods. If in their opinion, a warranty problem is in any way related to the headers (for example), they won't cover it, period. He's in favor of mods, dealer even does them, but he hinted that I should be putting stock exhaust back on (nod nod wink wink) before visiting for repair should I buy/install Comptech headers. This despite Comptech's close relationship with Honda. What gives?? Don't ask, don't tell? Seems redundant if the same dealer did the install. Warranty or not? I'd like to get the headers but don't want to lose warranty. Acura just denied a kid there with a blown GS-R "due to mods" and saved themselves $10,000 in engine/trans warranty work. Any thoughts from you "higher ups"?

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-21-2001, 02:45 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
Thats what happened to me. My engine was blown because they didnt fix it right, and they did not cover it, beacause of my mods. I/H/E and Pulleys.

Spiro

</font>

Really?? What exactly happened? Did you have to pay for a new engine out of pocket?

------------------
--&gt; RUVZ
2001 3.2CL Type S - Satin Silver - Polarg M6 roadlamps, 35% tint
Coming VERY soon: Eibach Springs, AEM CAI, Brembo Rotors
Old 06-21-2001, 03:14 AM
Drifting

My timing belt snapped. It was under warranty. When it snapped a lot of engine work needed to be done. The car wasnt the same after that. What happaned was it was burning oil. I was driving, and all of a sudden..boom. They told me the reason why the car was burning oil is because of the mods. We tried fighting it lawyers BBB, and I had no luck. I ended up trading in my Integ for the CL. It was a 97.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ruvz:

Really?? What exactly happened? Did you have to pay for a new engine out of pocket?

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-21-2001, 04:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
My timing belt snapped. It was under warranty. When it snapped a lot of engine work needed to be done. The car wasnt the same after that. What happaned was it was burning oil. I was driving, and all of a sudden..boom. They told me the reason why the car was burning oil is because of the mods. We tried fighting it lawyers BBB, and I had no luck. I ended up trading in my Integ for the CL. It was a 97.

</font>
I notice it didn't stop you from putting mods on your new car.

A timing belt going has nothing to do with mods. I would expect a lot of these low life dealers and Acura Care to at least try to punt the problem at the customer.

Let's face it, it would help to come in as a 70 year old, on crutches complaining about all those numbers on the tach, and why they can't just make a version that only goes to 2500 rpm (since that is all that you need)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-21-2001, 07:03 AM
Advanced

the first dealer i went to told me the same thing...however....a acura dealer in valencia said they will do the installation on aem intake, neuspeed springs, comptech header, comptech exhaust. And if they do it, u will have a 2 year warranty on those parts, and all ur warranty will still be valid after that, but the only catch is that they charge around $3500 for everything, its ur call....i was thinking about it but the price seems be to high......

</font>
Old 06-21-2001, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting ! So, when I take my Car to the Acrua Dealer tommorrow or Next week for my 7,500 Check up, what can I expect them to tell me ? Of course, everthing's running smoothly, but it sounds like its a "DENAIAL waiting to happen" where there to be in future problems that could even have the SLIGHTEST HINT of association with a MOD !

Troubling INDEED !

</font>

------------------
2001 CL-S Silver
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
14 % Tint
Viper 550 Alarm
Old 06-21-2001, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Search on warranty topics there are lots of posts from Wayne the Park ave service mgr on this. fyi...

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:04 PM
Drifting

No it didnt stop me. When I get my headers installed, it will be done by a dealer that will cover under warranty. Otherwise I would NOT modify my car.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
I notice it didn't stop you from putting mods on your new car.

A timing belt going has nothing to do with mods. I would expect a lot of these low life dealers and Acura Care to at least try to punt the problem at the customer.

Let's face it, it would help to come in as a 70 year old, on crutches complaining about all those numbers on the tach, and why they can't just make a version that only goes to 2500 rpm (since that is all that you need)

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps