COMPTECH Headers... are they worth the $$$$'s !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002 | 02:38 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

COMPTECH Headers... are they worth the $$$$'s !?!?

I would like to hear from the people that have them... are the Comptech headers worth the cash? How much of a difference did you feel?

Any idea when another (cheaper) alternative may become available????

What's your guys' Recommendations???
?

THANKS!!
Old 01-18-2002 | 02:40 PM
Old timer

Nope.

They're worth what most other headers are worth - $600-800. Comptech puts a nice premium on them because they're the only ones making headers for our car right now.

Comptech headers have probably the lowest bang-for-the-buck out of any CL-S mods. That said, you will notice a nice difference in the high end.
Old 01-18-2002 | 02:40 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I witing for the RES and MM#2 and cheaper alternative headers.
Old 01-18-2002 | 02:42 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
I witing for the RES and MM#2 and cheaper alternative headers.
Same here. I'm waiting for cheaper alternatives.
Old 01-18-2002 | 02:46 PM
Drifting

Just got them put on and I got them used for 900. I think they are woth the 900 used so if you can get them used go for it. If you have some extra cask and you really want them pay the full price and get them new. I do notice a difference so I am happy.
Old 01-18-2002 | 03:39 PM
Drifting

I got them new for 900 and they are awesome. The headers and springs pretty much did it for me. After that nothing else was really a noticable inprovement
Old 01-18-2002 | 03:43 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by WebToker
I got them new for 900 and they are awesome. The headers and springs pretty much did it for me. After that nothing else was really a noticable inprovement
Get the CT sways and new Nitto or Toyo tires and you will feel more usuable power!
Old 01-18-2002 | 03:47 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

Do the CT Sways make the car "feel" faster ???
Old 01-18-2002 | 03:50 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Yes if you are taking corners... with sways and summer tires HUGE difference....
Old 01-18-2002 | 05:48 PM
Banned

Re: COMPTECH Headers... are they worth the $$$$'s !?!?

Worth the Retail Cost ? No. But if you can afford them, or can get them used, You'll love the Extra Top-End on your Car !
Old 01-18-2002 | 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

IMO -- they are worth my money...

They sure make the car pull from 5K up… They torque peek moves to around 6000 RPM and really helps in third gear pulling to fuel cut-off.

People keep complaining about the price (yes, they are expensive). However, if you have lived in the days before ceramic coatings and aftermarket stainless steel headers, you could have enjoyed some of the less expensive headers that required a semi-annual welding visit (among other problems). I spent so much time at muffler shops, that I got my own welding setup to add bracing (in about 3 places) and fix the cracks from the exhaust ports all the way down to the collector. There is just nothing like having a hairline crack in a tube to drive you nuts (especially fun when it only makes noise when the tubes are really hot).

IMO -- the expression, "you get what you pay for" applies here.
Old 01-18-2002 | 07:07 PM
Old timer

That is funny.. especially considering how heat makes things expand, you would think the hot headers would close up the crack more than cold ones.
Old 01-18-2002 | 08:11 PM
Subie Dubie

The headers have been a great mod. Yeah it's in the higher end, but when you get there you can feel the extra power push you back in the seat. I love them. For those waiting, good luck. I'm enjoying mine NOW.
Old 01-18-2002 | 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock
That is funny.. especially considering how heat makes things expand, you would think the hot headers would close up the crack more than cold ones.
Well, there is a problem with that... As a tube heats up it expands and if the crack happens to be at just the right angle it would "seem" to close about the time I was playing "Doctor" with my home made stethoscope... It is funny now. Wasn't funny then -- I had dreams about making (or being able to buy) stainless steel headers back then
Old 01-19-2002 | 12:54 AM
Blown LS6!!

The headers were worth every dollar spent. Try someone else's car with the headers installed and see it you can tell the difference. I drove the Lynnwood (Seattle) Acura's TL-S w/ headers b/f I bought mine. WARNING: Once you get the headers, all the other mods (SC exempt) seem like a bargain and you will soon find yourself a very poor, but happy, car owner.
Old 01-20-2002 | 07:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EricL

Well, there is a problem with that... As a tube heats up it expands and if the crack happens to be at just the right angle it would "seem" to close about the time I was playing "Doctor" with my home made stethoscope... It is funny now. Wasn't funny then -- I had dreams about making (or being able to buy) stainless steel headers back then

You think a coating like this would be beneficial ???

http://www.swaintech.com
Old 01-20-2002 | 07:45 PM
Z
Racer

do the headders make fourth feel more powerful?
cause right fourth gear sucks..
Old 01-20-2002 | 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by cnatra

You think a coating like this would be beneficial ???

http://www.swaintech.com

If you're talking about mild steel headers -- yes! If you can keep the gas hot and keep carbon from "infiltrating" the low-carbon steel, the headers won't get brittle (or get brittle as fast). Brittle is not a great thing with tons of vibration and dramatic changes in exhaust gas temperature occurring

IMO -- the stainless headers are good-to-go as is (others may disagree with me here...)
Old 01-20-2002 | 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Z
do the headders make fourth feel more powerful?
cause right fourth gear sucks..
If you are talking AEM CAI, light wheels, headers (as currently set up) -- YES, with the following caveat: you're at sea level and at 70º F and below.

I added a note in another topic on how the acceleration still sucks (from the top of 3rd to 4th) at 3000+ feet and 90º+F temps. In the case of cold weather and sea level, the run to 130 is rather quick. At high altitude and high temps, it's just to slow for me (too much exposure time)...
Old 01-21-2002 | 08:52 AM
Drifting

Z I like them...we will have to hook up and I cna show you..I PM'ed you so I will get in touch
Old 01-21-2002 | 12:31 PM
So I am rich, big deal!

I have them on my car and think they are great.

By far they are not cheap. If you are on a budget go for RES and Intake.

But if you got the Cha Ching then blow it, you wont be sorry.

I feel, however, that if you have to ask yourself if you can afford them that usually that means you can't.

I can tell you if I was an average 'Joe' making just enough to pay my bills I wouldn't buy the headers.

In the time it took me to write this email, I made enough to buy another set.
Old 01-21-2002 | 12:57 PM
Banned

!

Don't you just love being " Be-littled "

Signed: Average Joe !

Originally posted by 01blkCL-S
I have them on my car and think they are great.

By far they are not cheap. If you are on a budget go for RES and Intake.

But if you got the Cha Ching then blow it, you wont be sorry.

I feel, however, that if you have to ask yourself if you can afford them that usually that means you can't.

I can tell you if I was an average 'Joe' making just enough to pay my bills I wouldn't buy the headers.

Old 01-21-2002 | 01:04 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 01blkCL-S

in the time it took me to respond to your post, i made enuff to super size my #2 meal at mcdonalds :sqnteek:
Old 01-21-2002 | 01:14 PM
Banned

ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperSize ME !

Originally posted by Cee eL eS

in the time it took me to respond to your post, i made enuff to super size my #2 meal at mcdonalds :sqnteek:
Old 01-22-2002 | 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

My friend put comptech headers, exhaust and cold-air intake on his TL. He doesn't have a type s. I would say that at least seat of the pants, it feels as fast as my S4. We have never compared them on the road, so I cannot say for sure, but his car does pull much harder now then when it was stock. I could only assume that opening up the engine to breath better will have the same effect on a type s as it does on his. If you do decide to get it, you might want to think about exhaust and cold-air intake to fully take advantage of the headers. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-22-2002 | 02:34 PM
Banned

The headers may not be the best bang for the buck mod for our cars...but then hp gains and price are not linear. And you show me comparable headers for the 300zx or 3000gt non-turbos from stillen or a similarly respected brand and you will see that their headers cost about $1K+....so for all those still thinking that the CTs are a rip....guess you'll have to stay slow. The 1/4 mile times are about a .3 sec improvement...I have them on...and if you are interested in headers...it means you probably wanna gun it every once in awhile...then you'll feel your money's worth.
Old 01-22-2002 | 02:42 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by moomaster_99
The headers may not be the best bang for the buck mod for our cars...but then hp gains and price are not linear. And you show me comparable headers for the 300zx or 3000gt non-turbos from stillen or a similarly respected brand and you will see that their headers cost about $1K+....so for all those still thinking that the CTs are a rip....guess you'll have to stay slow. The 1/4 mile times are about a .3 sec improvement...I have them on...and if you are interested in headers...it means you probably wanna gun it every once in awhile...then you'll feel your money's worth.
Could not have said it better D!

Now get back to them phones:P
Old 01-22-2002 | 03:20 PM
I've seen this before...

A quick fact check...

What are the HP/TQ gains on a CL-P with the headers? I heard that Greddy is also fabricating headers for our cars. Any information on that? How well will they perform? One more thing, do you guys know any CL'ers with the 5 Zigen or Tanabe exhausts (as advertised on acura-tl.com) on their rides?

One Love
Old 01-22-2002 | 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NOLACLS

Could not have said it better D!

Now get back to them phones:P
get on AIM bitch!!!