Comptech Headers In!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:47 AM
One who Laps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Headers In!

My god, I can't believe the overall fit and finish of these headers compared to the OBX's. Night and Fuckin' day!
Every weld is perfect, as the inside is finished as nicely as the outside. Flanges are heavier and piping is heavier, unbelievable.
Comptech has no equal when it comes to quality, not to mention that they are all ears when you have a question.
Now I know why they are so expensive, the OBX's aren't even in the same ballpark!
I still can't believe I purchased the OBX's, garbage.
I will post a new dyno soon which compares the Comptech's and OBX's on my car, as I can't see how the Comptech's won't dyno higher, but we'll see as they go on today.
Anyone in the market for headers should buy the Comptech's without a second thought.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are willing to spend $1000+ for less than 2 meter of SS pipes,you would expect that... however, to be frank with you the stock headers is junk compared to the OBX or Stone Headers!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
if you are willing to spend $1000+ for less than 2 meter of SS pipes,you would expect that... however, to be frank with you the stock headers is junk compared to the OBX or Stone Headers!
What Nash said!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Banned

whatever tickles your pickle dude....

there is absolutely NO justification for the 700 dollar difference in price. comptechs are superior, no doubt. but NO WAY IN HELL is it worth 700 dollars MORE than OBX....

you just wasted 700 bucks for prettier welds (which youll never see) and MAYBE 2 more hp on a dyno.

for 1100, the price of the comptechs, you could have OBX headers, comptech springs, comptech ICEBOX, and UR pullies. i will never understand how anyone witih an auto CL-S, in the present day, would buy anything other than OBX or STONE headers. it makes no logical sense whatsoever. but again, thats my opinion.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by jimcol711

there is absolutely NO justification for the 700 dollar difference in price. comptechs are superior, no doubt. but NO WAY IN HELL is it worth 700 dollars MORE than OBX....

you just wasted 700 bucks for prettier welds (which youll never see) and MAYBE 2 more hp on a dyno.

for 1100, the price of the comptechs, you could have OBX headers, comptech springs, comptech ICEBOX, and UR pullies. i will never understand how anyone witih an auto CL-S, in the present day, would buy anything other than OBX or STONE headers. it makes no logical sense whatsoever. but again, thats my opinion.
You are correct, he just had ugly welds with his OBX.....

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=110222

Old 08-07-2003, 09:07 AM
im back

or you could be a hick from wisconsin with a pick-up truck that has a funny accent. thats just my opinon...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by I am RobG
or you could be a hick from wisconsin with a pick-up truck that has a funny accent. thats just my opinon...

puhhleeeeeze as if youve ever even talked to me...in which case youd know i dont have a lame ass accent.

i HAD OBX headers, dumbass. they fuckin dropped .5 sec from my 1/4 mile and gave 4mph gain in trap speed, im not talking out of my ass. sure, i had to drill out one of the holes on the front header bank to get it to go on the studs, but the gains speak for themselves, and i was one of the first handful of people to get the OBX so no doubt, it was from the first batch. quality issues have gone way down in the last year. sorry youre salty for wasting 700 bucks when ya coulda saved all that for other mods, that sure is a pretty comptech plate welded on your front headers, isnt it?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

said it once... say it again... "yo uget what you pay for"... the overallquality of the Comptechs are better from the sets I've seen compared tothe OBX. I don't kow but those stone headers. OBX was made like shit though the CTs are a bit pricey for the extra attention to detail and well performed workmanship.

CONGRATS ON THE BADASS HEADERS...

Hopefully I'll have some for xmas...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Racer

So the quality issue with OBX was for the first batch? Are they any better now? Thinkin of gettin headers but not wanting to shell out 1K for headers!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mushutofu
So the quality issue with OBX was for the first batch? Are they any better now? Thinkin of gettin headers but not wanting to shell out 1K for headers!

if you have an automatic CL-S, dont be a fool like some others around here, go OBX or STONE. they give EQUAL GAINS (within 3 wheel horsepower MAX) and are less than a THIRD or the price. you wont be dissapointed. save that money for additional mods instead of sinking it into comptech headers, then go race one of the guys who blew their wad on comptechs and couldnt afford an intake, pullies, springs, or any other mods
Old 08-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Way Fast Whitey

Guys you are all overlooking the fact that Comptech won't void the warranty. It is worth ever penny not to have to rip that shit out if there is a problem.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

comptech=bolt on

obx=drilling etc.,

take your pick.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Banned

my OBX didnt void SHIT....

comptech parts not voiding a warranty is a complete and total MYTH. some dealers do, some dealers dont, it all depends on the dealer, not on whether you have comptech parts. PERIOD.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

CARB CERT is one reason...just not to have to mess with it later.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
$30K car
$1200 headers

jimcol I don't see a problem.

Oh and I still got plenty of money for mods. :pfawk:
Old 08-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
my OBX didnt void SHIT....

comptech parts not voiding a warranty is a complete and total MYTH. some dealers do, some dealers dont, it all depends on the dealer, not on whether you have comptech parts. PERIOD.
Agreed 1000% I know first hand with the crappy non mod friendly dealers by me.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:22 AM
im back

it must be rough being an ignorant douche. Sorry allmighty jim Mr. OBX headers are the best. See us 6 speeders have no choice but to go comptech. And mine went in no hassle, no drilling and not made of cheap shit. Sometimes your stupidity boggles my mind. And as for dumbass, please jim i'm half your age and know twice as much
Old 08-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Banned

it must be rough being an ignorant douche. Sorry allmighty jim Mr. OBX headers are the best. See us 6 speeders have no choice but to go comptech. And mine went in no hassle, no drilling and not made of cheap shit. Sometimes your stupidity boggles my mind. And as for dumbass, please jim i'm half your age and know twice as much

i never said a thing about 6 speed drivers, obviously, they have no choice, im not an idiot. as a matter of fact ive been around here alot longer than you (even prior to joining, i lurked for months gathering info for my CL-S purchase.) i know i have alot more knowledge about the CL-S than you do, whether youd admit it or not is another story.

regardless, my point is very simple. from the standpoint of the actual POWER GAINS (which is the point of modding anyhow) the OBX are no worse than Comptech. dyno's are ALL OVER THE MAP constantly between comptech and obx headers even comptech compared to comptech, its all over the place. due to temp, location, elevation, the individual car, the dyno shop, etc. over all, OBX make no less or no more power than comptech. yeah the fitment can be a pain with OBX...SO THE FUCK WHAT???!! when i got 700 bucks left over in my pocket, i dont mind one bit that i have to run a drill press through one of the holes on the flange, big deal!. as far as durability...well thats yet to be seen, however what i can say is that my OBX were installed last sept. and were on the car through a harsh wisconsin winter, and they STILL looked cleaner, and newer than my other freinds comptech headers did (all copperish, lost the glossiness)

half my age and know twice as much? my god, what a joke, i wont even touch that beyond saying that if youre half my age, that makes you 11 and a half years old!! how the hell old do you think i am?? im 23.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:41 AM
im back

you're only 23 fuckin years old and you think your king fuckin shit! I obviously had no idea how old you were, nor did i really care. 2-so because you've been a member of this forum longer, automatically means you know more about the CL-S than i do?? And if you know so much how come you pay to have all your shit put in and dont do it yourself? and 1 more thing....if the gains are equal, how come every CL-S that is in the 13's on this board has comptech headers...Me, Type R, Allmotor, Zootking, etc etc etc
Old 08-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Banned

umm, i installed the headers myself. i did the CAI (when i had it) myself, ive done all of my truck mods myself, aside from the gears. the only thing i paid to have done was the springs in the CL-S because i didnt have the proper tools. and you guys in the 13s either have nitrous, turbo, 3.5, s/c thats how its done, it has nothing to do with comptech headers vs. obx.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Racer

bottles are for babies
Old 08-07-2003, 12:29 PM
BOOOOOOsted

OBX is garbage , I dont care if they are close in gains!!!
I have seen both products side by side and its like night and day!
I would rather have the better quality for more money!

Buying OBX hdrs is like buying a GEO Metro instead of the CL and saying hey they both get you from point a to point b!!!

OBX SUCKS
Old 08-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have OBX and have had no problems whatsoever and $700 in my pocket to boot.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
put in and dont do it yourself? and 1 more thing....if the gains are equal, how come every CL-S that is in the 13's on this board has comptech headers...Me, Type R, Allmotor, Zootking, etc etc etc
Probably because You, Allmotor & Zootking have 6sps and Comptech is the only maker of 6sp headers and Type R has the 3.5 upgrade so he doesn't count.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Revving at 9K...

Oh man... not this family feud again....

Come on.. we are all CL owners, I can't remember how many times we fought over this SH*T already....

OBX, Comptech... who the hell cares!!! As long as the owner of the car is happy with their purchase, that is good enough right?

Sonor, I'm sorry that you got a sh*tty product, and am glad that you are happy with what you have now..

btw, I bought comptech, and I made sure it was the one for the six speed... why?? Cause that is what I wanted, and it makes me happy. (That and when one day I decide to sell the header, my customer base could be a little bigger.)
Old 08-07-2003, 12:56 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if the gains are equal, how come every CL-S that is in the 13's on this board has comptech headers...Me, Type R, Allmotor, Zootking, etc etc etc
That was a pretty ignorant statement and you should know better! I know you are arguing with Jim but don't make silly comments like that to make an argument.

I agree that CTs are better quality but some people arguing for CTs are just plain ignorant. To some the difference in price is worth it and I respect that but OBX did not void my warranty (except for possible the O2 sensor that I could have damaged during install) but the same thing is true for comptechs. OBX and CTs give the same power (maybe a couple more with CTs) on an auto. Most people have the money for CTs but just feel its not worth spending all of it on headers. Like some have said the longevity of the OBXs is yet to be determined so we'll see.

Peeps in Cali have CARB issues so CT is their only option. Obviously 6-speeders don't have a choice either.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:09 PM

Buying OBX headers to save money is a risk. You may spend additional time and money to get acceptable results.

To some 5AT people the $700 is not worth the risk.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:12 PM
im back

me and allmotor definitely didn't have F/I of any kind. 2-you get what you pay for, everyones right this topics been covered many times, im' done here
Old 08-07-2003, 02:37 PM
6SPDCLS

damn, I'm no mechanic...but from a lame person's point of view on this shit, I'd have to say the following:

Aren't headers invisible? Literally, you don't get to display them publically. Aren't headers made of metal? Isn't that metal suppose to melt at a very very high temperature? If the OBX header metal has the same melting point as the Comptech ones, what is the difference in build quality? Not like the welding spots are going to break, etc.?

So in summary, why pay $700 more for something I can get $700 cheap and especially when it performs identically? I see the only issue of complaint is the "build quality"...but if both don't melt at normal header temperatures, I don't see why i need to get comptech. Fitment issues is a different story..if you need to drill a hole to get it to fit, then shit, OBX headers are not really advertising what you pay for is what you get. I guess if you had the tools to drill a hole to fit it, I don't see why I need to get Comptech headers really..

My biggest gripe is paying so much for some metal part that is hidden.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When its time to get headers i'm going with Comptech no questions asked. If ya can't afford or justify paying $700 more for a superior product on a $30k+ car then thats your choice. I've already made mine.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tool462
OBX is garbage , I dont care if they are close in gains!!!
I have seen both products side by side and its like night and day!
I would rather have the better quality for more money!

Buying OBX hdrs is like buying a GEO Metro instead of the CL and saying hey they both get you from point a to point b!!!

OBX SUCKS
TOOL I DEMAND justification for these timeslips!

oh, and I didn't need "headers" to run those times!
Old 08-07-2003, 04:31 PM
mister D

you're only 23 fuckin years old and you think your king fuckin shit! I obviously had no idea how old you were, nor did i really care. 2-so because you've been a member of this forum longer, automatically means you know more about the CL-S than i do?? And if you know so much how come you pay to have all your shit put in and dont do it yourself? and 1 more thing....if the gains are equal, how come every CL-S that is in the 13's on this board has comptech headers...Me, Type R, Allmotor, Zootking, etc etc etc
your observation if fucken gay. type r is 3.5L, and the others have 6 speeds, does obx even make a 6 speed header?? wheres your argument. they did have the dyno #'s out, and they werent much different.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:14 PM
im back

My argument is better build quality and better material. Example...would you get lets say volk wheels like i have...lightweight, nice build quality...expensive though...or would you get imitations that look like it, not quite as strong or light?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:21 PM
One who Laps

Headers went on like stock according to Honda, less than 1 hour to install.
The Comptech's sound beautiful and feel solid. The OBX's were noisier and leaked, so it feels and souds the way it should now.
Top end in each gear seems to have more pull but we'll verify that at the track.
Dyno on Comptech's to come soon, so I can compare to the OBX's.
If those with OBX's could swap for Comptech's for a day, they wouldn't want to go back and would seriously think about spending the extra money to get them.
When you see the long racing history Comptech has with Honda and the research that goes into making their products, you begin to understand why they are so much more money.
These are the headers that were meant to be on our CL's and the build and fit quality is second to none.
Thanks again to the guys at Comptech for showing me the light, I'm sorry I ever bought a cheap imitation, which ultimitely caused me problems.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I seriously don't get some of the comments here. I had OBX. No problems whatsoever. Fit right on, and I was the second fastest CL at Acura Wars, so the performance gains are there.

Who seriously gives a crap about the quality. Headers are pretty much invisible and expel exhaust gas. It's not like it's a moving part that can do internal engine damage. They are both made of Stainless steel. Yes, the OBX might not last 7 years, but are most of you going to have your cars in 7 years? The $700 can be better spent on other mods. Would I but OBX pulleys or cams? (if they made them) No. But headers, who cares????

To each his own. It's your $$.. I just get sick of all the OBX/Stone bashing.

Sonor Kid? Are you sure you don't work for Comptech????
Old 08-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
broken record
Old 08-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
Aren't headers made of metal? Isn't that metal suppose to melt at a very very high temperature? If the OBX header metal has the same melting point as the Comptech ones, what is the difference in build quality? Not like the welding spots are going to break, etc.?

So in summary, why pay $700 more for something I can get $700 cheap and especially when it performs identically? I see the only issue of complaint is the "build quality"...but if both don't melt at normal header temperatures, I don't see why i need to get comptech.

My biggest gripe is paying so much for some metal part that is hidden.
some of the early batches had leaks, or were not welded all the way around. nobody is worried about the steel or welds melting.

BTW, why do the C/T headers still cost soo much?!?!?! I thought with all the competition, the price would go down! I just ordered, and I wish I could have done so when they were under $1000, but for now, no choice for us six speeders.
But my headers are on their way!!!
I'm glad you are happy with your product sonor kid!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:36 AM

Old 08-08-2003, 05:29 AM
BOOOOOOsted

I wouldn't mind working for Comptech as parts would come cheaper.
The sound of these headers is what I really like but I think my OBX's leaked from day one and so I believe I never saw the true performance of the OBX's.
I won't regret the Comptech purchase though and an extra $700.00 isn't enough to make that big a deal over, think about how much people spend on other stupid shit.