Comptech CAI or the ICE box thing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 10:23 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech CAI or the ICE box thing....

The Whole idea from Comptech for their CAI design is to have short ram intake where the Air filter is housed in a plastic box that has a tube that goes down to the just where the Injen/AEM/Xephyr CAI's air filter would be.

Does this Configration works?

Any comments?

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards
- Winter mats
- Trunk liner
- Acura Spoiler
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
Old 03-27-2001, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested also since they say you don't need a bypass valve. They say they same power gains with no water ingestion worries.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-27-2001, 01:17 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
The Whole idea from Comptech for their CAI design is to have short ram intake where the Air filter is housed in a plastic box that has a tube that goes down to the just where the Injen/AEM/Xephyr CAI's air filter would be.

Does this Configration works?

Any comments?

</font>

Can I ask where you got your information from? I have an AEM CAI and I want to swap it out as soon as the Comptech intake comes out.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Denso Spark Plugs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI

[This message has been edited by WebToker (edited 03-27-2001).]
Old 03-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
went to the comptech site on the web, couldn't find any CAIs for the CLs. where'd you get this info from? i'd be very interested in getting this too....if it is already available!!
Old 03-27-2001, 01:29 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, this is what Mike B. has to say:

By Houston_TypeS on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 10:12 am:
Mike,
I had heard previously that Comptech was not going to make an intake for the 01' CL Type S. Is this still Comptech's stance on the topic?? I know that the initial problem was with a very low resonation that had stopped Comptech from going further on any type of intake, is this still the case?

Thanks for your outstanding support for the Type S, the car is great from the factory but with Comptech mods the car is just awesome. Keep up the good work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Mike B at Comptech on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 09:12 am:
We haven't developed one yet, but we plan to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Adam M on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 10:48 am:
When?

AEM & Injen both just released theirs... and we have small companys producing CAIs for the CL-S.

The smaller guys managed to go through the R&D process in less then a week... can Comptech do that?

CAI's seem to be the hot item for that car right now (read: www.acura-cl.com)... hope you guys can catch the wave!

Oh, and would you be packaging a Bypass Valve with the intake to prevent water entering the engine?

By Mike B at Comptech on Thursday, March 1, 2001 - 12:50 pm:
So far, the air intakes that we've developed don't need a bypass valve. The development of the air intake is progressing along with the supercharger development so it will take a while. Also, our intake will incorporate a box surrounding the filter element. One the design is finalized, it takes about a month just to make the tooling to manufacture the box. Obviously we don't just weld up some tubes and brackets and call it an intake kit.

Now the pic of an ICE box:

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards
- Winter mats
- Trunk liner
- Acura Spoiler
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
Old 03-27-2001, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can't tell by the pic, but there must be a hole in the front of the icebox to draw air. I don't see how this would stop water ingestion unless it is just a short ram and located high up.

I think we could accomplish the same thing by just removing the resonator off our current airbox and add a k&n filter. Someone on the list said they were going to try this, but I never heard any results.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-27-2001, 01:50 PM
Drifting

As long as they can show the same increase in power I am game. I am trying to keep as much Comptech as possible.
Old 03-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry I was sopose to take out the resononator but the weather was shitty here that day. and now PhiTL who was sopose to help me is going to out of the country. so I gotta wait a couple weeks.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-27-2001, 02:10 PM
Who's Your Daddy

presently the ice-box made by comptech is available for the integras'....it has two tubes and an air-filter which sits in the box...the outer tube fits behind the corner light and sucks up cold air from there, resulting in alot better chance from hydro-lock (explains no need for bypass valve)...and of course the inner tube goes into the motor...they do not have one available for the Type-S yet....basically same function as a CAI...

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 03-27-2001, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

In an email to Comptech about them developing a CAI for the S, here is their reply:

"NO WORD AS OF YET. PLEASE CHECK BACK ON OUR WEBSITE PERIODICALLY FOR ANY NEW
UPDATES FOR IT. THANKS."

Obviously not a big help. My personal decision is to buy an AEM as I'm sick of waiting. If they are not into tooling yet, it will be at least 6 weeks AFTER they start tooling.

------------------
Silver w/ everything but wind deflector and navi. Aftermarket wood trim package, polarg M6, PIAA 19170 on doors, Zaino shine.
Waiting on headers, CAI, sways and new tires (which ones??)
Old 03-27-2001, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

It is the same concept as with the stock air box not ingesting water. It can happen but is less likely normally due to seep holes and drain holes somewhere in the tract. Plus, the chamber area would also first need to fill before the filter would ingest.

As for benefits, they typically look better, more stock looking. But I have yet to see one that dyno'd better or the same as an open element CAI. The reason is based on flow direction changes. The first issue come in with the inlet its self, some sort of curved funnel is need to bring the air into the pipe as smoothly as possible. It appears that in the pics this is handled. But most cone filter has this internally also. And so this is where the difference in HP gains changes.

In the open element CAI there is normally a constant diameter and path to the TB. Whereas in the cone'n'box style the air flows into a chamber and then must flow into the filter. From there the path would be the same.

But this has now caused multiple pressure drops and hence varying velocities. Will there be a HP difference between Comptech and the likes of AEM, favoring AEM, I expect there would be. However, these may be on the order of 1-2 HP or so, not very measurable or substantial. But one nice part with the Comptech system is the stock appearing quality.