Coilovers for best ride...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers for best ride...

What are the best coilovers for ride quality. My comptechs bounce too much and I am ready to swap.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i can't imagine you getting a better ride quality out of coilovers rather than the comptech springs. if bouncing around is your concern, you need new struts. if you want more performance, height adjustability and (most likely) a stiffer ride, get coilovers.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:34 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by mattg
i can't imagine you getting a better ride quality out of coilovers rather than the comptech springs. if bouncing around is your concern, you need new struts. if you want more performance, height adjustability and (most likely) a stiffer ride, get coilovers.
I also bounce around quite a bit. What can you tell me about struts?
Old 05-02-2002, 01:44 AM
Drifting

I also would like to ajust the drop, guess I should have mentioned that. I agree, my stock shocks do need to be replaced. Coilovers are the best all round solution as far as I can see.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:24 AM
Senior Moderator

i talked to a guy at a local shop and he told me that the stock honda struts were some of the worst. combine that w/ a drop and they wear out quick. so i decided to get struts before wheels. putting the koni sports (yellows) in tomorrow. lower perch mount in the front.

btw, that local shop wanted $808 for the struts, i got them from www.autocarparts.com for $583 shipped.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

If you're looking for best ride quality, don't get Zeal B6s... you'll bounce all over the place.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:09 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can't believe you guys don't replace your dampeners when you change out your springs. That's a no-no.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Banned

mattg:
You may as well have gotten adjustable Zex's or something for that price.

Webtoker:
The teins will ride softer than the CT's on the softest setting.

Austin519
Old 05-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Austin519
mattg:

Webtoker:
The teins will ride softer than the CT's on the softest setting.

Austin519
Who sells them?
Old 05-02-2002, 12:29 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Zex

How are Zex Coilovers? Will the ones from the Accord fit our car? What can be adjusted on them? I really don't know much about them at all. Help.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:54 PM
The Slim Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Zex

Originally posted by Titand19
How are Zex Coilovers? Will the ones from the Accord fit our car? What can be adjusted on them? I really don't know much about them at all. Help.
Zex Coilovers are quiet a stiff ride and bouncey b/c I have them. They are from the Accord 98-01. You can only adjust the height on them.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

mattg:

Austin519
i'm happy w/ my decision. my car will perform as well as coilovers with a better ride quality. plus the firmness is completely adjustable and the perch height is also adjustable.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:18 PM
East Coast Boost.!

CL Type Slim:

How stiff are they, do you regret getting them? How much did you pay for them? I'm having a hard time deciding if i should get springs or coilovers.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:09 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

I believe the coilovers you guys are referring to are called NEX Street Spec.

I am probably going to purchase a set on my next pay check. They run $650 + s/h from this place out in Kent, WA.

JRock currently is running a set with a 2.5" drop. His remarks about them so far have been pretty positive.

http://forum.dtmpower.net/showthread...641#post334641
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...&highlight=nex

or simply do a search for NEX, Apexi, Tein, Zeal
Old 05-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Racer

Why don't you guys find out the spring rates of these setups? That will tell you how soft/firm the ride is instead of having to rely on other peoples' experiences.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:01 PM
The Slim Member

Originally posted by Titand19
CL Type Slim:

How stiff are they, do you regret getting them? How much did you pay for them? I'm having a hard time deciding if i should get springs or coilovers.
The ride is not bad but I used to have a lower civic with Tokico and H&R Sports Springs, my current ride is a little more stiffer than that ride. I am getting a little older therefore I like the stock ride. I got a great deal from Moomaster, I can't tell you the price but a price that no one can beat. If you have the dough and I mean some major dough, you should get the top of the line tein where you adjust height and spring rate.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CL Type Slim

The ride is not bad but I used to have a lower civic with Tokico and H&R Sports Springs, my current ride is a little more stiffer than that ride. I am getting a little older therefore I like the stock ride. I got a great deal from Moomaster, I can't tell you the price but a price that no one can beat. If you have the dough and I mean some major dough, you should get the top of the line tein where you adjust height and spring rate.
Tell Chris to raise that mofo off the damn ground...and maybe it'll ride better...
Old 05-02-2002, 05:08 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by EricS
Can't believe you guys don't replace your dampeners when you change out your springs. That's a no-no.
Whatever man, my stock shocks/struts/dampeners did just fine with my Comptech springs for the ~14k the Comptechs were in there. Just like I didn't need an alignment after installing comptech springs/sways even though you insist you need one (it is you that insists that, isn't it?). Face it, your car just sucked if you had all those issues.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Banned

JRock:
I totally agree...it isn't a no-no..psssh. It will only cause problems if you drop your car more than 2" or so...per Jens' (works at park ave acura) comment a long time ago. And besides...if you did...why the hell wouldn't you just pay the extra bill or two and get coilovers???

Austin519
Old 05-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Drifting

JRock:
And besides...if you did...why the hell wouldn't you just pay the extra bill or two and get coilovers???

Austin519
Thats what I was thinking...
Old 05-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Racer

Originally posted by JRock
Whatever man, my stock shocks/struts/dampeners did just fine with my Comptech springs for the ~14k the Comptechs were in there.
Don't you realize that 14k for stock dampeners is horrible! Those bad boys should easily last 50k...

Just like I didn't need an alignment after installing comptech springs/sways even though you insist you need one (it is you that insists that, isn't it?).
not sure if I insisted it, but I prolly recommended it. Anytime you change the car's suspension geometry it's a good idea to get an alignment. If you guys are so worried about performance it's a good thing to have done.

And besides...if you did...why the hell wouldn't you just pay the extra bill or two and get coilovers???
ride quality, usually coilovers are alot stiffer (unless you get some pansy spring rate :P ). plus it is more expensive.

If you get springs & dampeners at the same time you only have to spend your time/money installing things once. There should not be any extra labor cost in doing dampeners at the same time as springs.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Banned

This is actually true...stock dampeners should last 100k...that is the standard for most hydraulic devices on vehicles. Alignment might not be required, but it never hurts to have it...and if you think $40 is too much...then you are in for a world of pain for how much tires are gonna cost you.

As for ride quality, all depends on what you want...some people do prefer a stiffer ride, I for one do...and with coilovers.....the manufacturer is trying to give you the best of both worlds by matching their dampening with the spring rate, an opinion yes...but for most people its good enough....and with dampening adjustable coilovers...best of both worlds.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Banned

EricS:
"ride quality, usually coilovers are alot stiffer (unless you get some pansy spring rate ). plus it is more expensive.

If you get springs & dampeners at the same time you only have to spend your time/money installing things once. There should not be any extra labor cost in doing dampeners at the same time as springs."

Nah I disagree...coilovers are not always a lot stiffer than other aftermarket springs...take the H&R Race versus the tein coilovers...the teins can drop just as low while still being softer. That's why I want adjustable coilovers for myself

And it's not more expensive. Getting a good set of springs/shocks, versus getting a set of coilovers (the Zex for instance are $600) is about the same price.

And you wouldn't have to worry about the cost of install at all if you did what I did and installed it yourself! :P

Austin519
Old 05-02-2002, 07:43 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

i'm happy w/ my decision. my car will perform as well as coilovers with a better ride quality. plus the firmness is completely adjustable and the perch height is also adjustable.

No no no. The konis are not height adjustable if you are using lowering springs. Plus, I don't think the clearence is there anyways to use the lower perch without modifying the surrounding structure. Didn't you read your instructions?
Old 05-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Got BOOST????

Remember, u get what u pay for. if u gonna just buy springs and not replace ur shocks, that's a dumb move. the suspencion is the most important part of ur car. spend the extra $$$ and get the shock and springs. I just bought the Tein and orderd the Camber kits. lots of $$, but i'm sure i'll be happy with the results. gonna put them in this weekend.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JZ

No no no. The konis are not height adjustable if you are using lowering springs. Plus, I don't think the clearence is there anyways to use the lower perch without modifying the surrounding structure. Didn't you read your instructions?
i guess we'll know for sure tomorrow...
Old 05-02-2002, 10:50 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Nah I disagree...coilovers are not always a lot stiffer than other aftermarket springs...take the H&R Race versus the tein coilovers...the teins can drop just as low while still being softer. That's why I want adjustable coilovers for myself

And it's not more expensive. Getting a good set of springs/shocks, versus getting a set of coilovers (the Zex for instance are $600) is about the same price.

And you wouldn't have to worry about the cost of install at all if you did what I did and installed it yourself! :P

Austin519
I LOVE MY TEIN and nuff said.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:45 PM
Drifting

Ok, I have decided on the Teins. Now to find the best price...
Old 05-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

go here for best price on tienS!!!http://www.tribalpacific.com/
Old 05-03-2002, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by evolaerok
go here for best price on tienS!!!http://www.tribalpacific.com/

I noticed they had a promo code option. Got one by chance ;-)
Old 05-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Old timer

Don't you realize that 14k for stock dampeners is horrible! Those bad boys should easily last 50k...
They weren't worn out, my comptech springs were only in there 14k before I bought my coilovers. Try to pay attention.

ride quality, usually coilovers are alot stiffer (unless you get some pansy spring rate :P ). plus it is more expensive.
My coilovers were $650 shipped. I'd love to see you get Comptech springs and Koni yellows for much better than that. Last time I checked, a full set of Koni yellows alone from ACP would have cost me as much as these coilovers did. So for me I was getting three things for the price of one thing: shocks, springs, and adjustable height&ride all for the same price a set of Konis would have cost me.

If you get springs & dampeners at the same time you only have to spend your time/money installing things once.
I only wanted springs and sways as my first suspension upgrade. Then when I realized I wanted to drop the car a lot more, it was a good thing I hadn't wasted money on Koni yellows since my coilovers replace all of that.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Rod
Drifting

My coilovers were $650 shipped.....So for me I was getting three things for the price of one thing: shocks, springs, and adjustable height&ride all for the same price a set of Konis would have cost me.
JRock,

What's adjustable with the NEX coilovers, height and spring rates? Where did you get them for $650 shipped? And how's the ride, is it that much worse/stiffer than the Comptechs? I'm also thinking about changing out my Comptechs for coilovers, but am still undecided. I'll wait to see how the rims I'm getting will look with the Comptechs.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:08 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
JRock hasnt had his coil-overs long enough to fairly judge the ride quality.

they all start off nice... within 6mo turn into shit.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:14 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by soopa

What do you mean? The ride just gets to bouncy or what?
Old 05-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by soopa

All I'm judging is how stiff they are compared to stock/comptech. I am qualified to judge that right now they are a hell of a lot stiffer than either stock or Comptech springs.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Racer

They weren't worn out, my comptech springs were only in there 14k before I bought my coilovers. Try to pay attention.
What I'm saying is who's to know they wouldn't go out at 15k? Just cause you had them on there for 14k doesn't mean they'd last 50 or more.

My coilovers were $650 shipped. I'd love to see you get Comptech springs and Koni yellows for much better than that. Last time I checked, a full set of Koni yellows alone from ACP would have cost me as much as these coilovers did. So for me I was getting three things for the price of one thing: shocks, springs, and adjustable height&ride all for the same price a set of Konis would have cost me.
way to compare the best/most expensive dampeners with the cheapest coilover setup. You can get a good set of non-adjustable Tokico Blues for half the price of the adjustables. (Also, why are the Zeals $2k while the Nex are $650? I really don't know, so fill me in if it's comparing apples to oranges)

Then when I realized I wanted to drop the car a lot more, it was a good thing I hadn't wasted money on Koni yellows since my coilovers replace all of that.
You could've gotten GC coilovers and then dropped in the Koni Yellows that you had if you had bought them. So no money wasted there. Just the money wasted on buying/installing the springs you didn't like.

BTW, I'm not arguing the economics of buying separates vs. coilovers. That wasn't the intent of the original post. Just saying, if you guys are so worried about performance and ride quality, you should've gotten performance dampeners the same time as performance springs.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so, how would one Compaire the Stock Ride with that of the Konis & that of Coilovers ?
Old 05-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Old timer

What I'm saying is who's to know they wouldn't go out at 15k? Just cause you had them on there for 14k doesn't mean they'd last 50 or more.
Uhm. Nice try changing the argument but NO.

Here, let's start from the beginning:

You: Can't believe you guys don't replace your dampeners when you change out your springs. That's a no-no.

Me: Whatever man, my stock shocks/struts/dampeners did just fine with my Comptech springs for the ~14k the Comptechs were in there. (I had the stock struts in a total of 24000 miles. I still have them, they're not on my car, but they're still just fine.)

Here's you starting to go off-topic: Don't you realize that 14k for stock dampeners is horrible! Those bad boys should easily last 50k...

Here's me trying to stick to the topic: They weren't worn out, my comptech springs were only in there 14k before I bought my coilovers. Try to pay attention.

Here's you off in Neverneverland: What I'm saying is who's to know they wouldn't go out at 15k? Just cause you had them on there for 14k doesn't mean they'd last 50 or more.

The statement was "I can't believe you guys don't replace your shocks when you replace your springs." I said, "I don't see why it's such a big deal - my stock shocks worked fine with my Comptech springs."

End of story. Go take your mileage issues elsewhere.

As for this crap:

way to compare the best/most expensive dampeners with
the cheapest coilover setup.
I go by what I experience first-hand. I experienced JZ's Koni yellows and I liked them. If I was getting just shocks, I would have gotten Koni yellows. I experienced Mark's Nex coilovers first hand and liked those. I ended up wanting coilovers so I got the Nex. They are excellent and more adjustable than some more expensive ones. I have no interest in cheap shocks or expensive coilovers. Enough of your issues, just read what is said and try to comprehend it instead of creating side arguments.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Racer

heh, i don't care no more, there's no use with you. Hope you enjoyed the toed-out-bouncy ride while you had it.

Others are smart enough to see my point that its a good idea to replace the stock dampeners with performance ones when you switch to a higher spring rate/lower height spring. Same with getting an alignment
Old 05-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Old timer

heh, i don't care no more, there's no use with you.
Yes, I refuse to accept idiocy.

Hope you enjoyed the toed-out-bouncy ride while you had it.
Because you rode in my car and you know how it rode.

Others are smart enough to see my point that its a good idea to replace the stock dampeners with performance ones when you switch to a higher spring rate/lower height spring.
Your actual words were that NOT replacing the shocks is a "no-no". That's not the same thing as saying "it might be a good idea". CLEARLY it's a good thing to do, but it's not NECESSARY.

Same with getting an alignment
Again, a good idea, but not NECESSARY.

Quick Reply: Coilovers for best ride...