Cly Misfire puts 2 Dents in Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cly Misfire puts 2 Dents in Hood

OK on Fri my 01 CLS started skipping when at Idle when I came to a stop. I still had lots of power but was idling rough and shaking at stop lights. 15 mins later the CEL came on. I called a very close Acura dealer and asked if they could check it out. Service writer said come on over.
He pulled code and said showed Misfire on # 1 cly. I asked why and he said had to be a bad plug or coil. I advise to fix and tech said he replaced plug and reset computer to clear code. Tech retest rode and as he went out I advised that I only felt problem at Idel. Tech says yea, yea let me drive to see and off he went. Came back and said fixed. I paid a $56 bill for 1 plug and installation. 15 min later before I got home I felt same problem and CEL light comes on again. I park car at home and get up early Sat AM to go back to dealership.
On the Highway at about 60 MPH I hear 2 hard knocking noises under hood and car loses power. Still running but running like out of gas. I pull to side of Highway and have car towed to local shop. Guy calls me and says take car back to dealer. Plug has blown out of head. I go down there and No plug in head and coil is off and cracked in half. Plug is no where to be found. Hood has to big dings and cracked paint where plug or coil blew out. WTF is going on. This is on the # 6 Cly.
I have car towed back to Acura dealer and Mon he calls to say they replaced # 1 not # 6 cly. Go figure ????
I start think Tech started the replace Wrong plug and then goes to correct Cly and forgets to retigthen # 6.
I asked 2 other Dealership service managers and they say same thing before I tell them what I thought. I've blown 2 motors before a 14:1 Built Motorcycle engine and a V8 with NOS on start up. Never have I seen a plug blow out. Service Manager is out all week and they gave me a crappy TSX 4 dr to drive. I'll talk to him next Mon.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm here in spirit...

I missed the part about the hood dents????
Old 11-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chriskh
I missed the part about the hood dents????
" I go down there and No plug in head and coil is off and cracked in half. Plug is no where to be found. Hood has to big dings and cracked paint where plug or coil blew out. WTF is going on. This is on the # 6 Cly. "
Old 11-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Oh! LOL, sorry, I'm blind and I can't read!

Damn, man! That really sucks!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by jgscott
Service Manager is out all week and they gave me a crappy TSX 4 dr to drive. I'll talk to him next Mon.
hey hey i understand you must be frustrated but dont take it out on the tsx its a good car.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
hey hey i understand you must be frustrated but dont take it out on the tsx its a good car.
Sorry
Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
buy my car

if the #6 plug was tightened down, and it should have been cause he didn't touch it - allegedly-then when it blew out, wouldn't it have stripped the threads on the engine? its not going to unscrew its self and shoot at your hood. i could be wrong, and i drank a few beers watching the game, but i don't think the plug could come out without damaging the threads on the engine-right?!

I thing the mechanic may be to blame here, you should bring it to another dealer and have them look at it
Old 11-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I hope they take care of you, man. It would be REAL shitty if they didn't. Good luck with everything and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a tsx as a loaner too. it was THE SLOWEST thing I've ever seen. 4dr auto 4cyl.
but hey hope those plugs in tsx stay in place , sorry bout the cl my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your motor.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Racer

Update- The service writer called today to say that the car was fixed and tested. He asked me if they took care of the engine repair totally would I just let the hood damage go. I asked him if he saw the hood and he said no. I told him that I could not let the hood damage go that it had flaked off paint and 2 hammer size dents. I advise him that I would be by tomorrow to talk to him. What BS. Here we go !
Old 11-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Something sounds really fishy here. I don't see how a plug will just fly out unless te service guy messed up. Either way, that's nuts. Hope all works out for you. Keep us posted.

And stop flaming the TSX. I'm driving one now. Personally, I think if it had a little more balls in the acceleration department, it would be my next car. And as it is, it still may be my next car. It's not CL, but I like them. Just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with the service department and if you dont get a satisfactory result from the dealer you should call Acura Customer Service and then go to another dealer.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Something sounds really fishy here. I don't see how a plug will just fly out unless te service guy messed up. Either way, that's nuts. Hope all works out for you. Keep us posted.

And stop flaming the TSX. I'm driving one now. Personally, I think if it had a little more balls in the acceleration department, it would be my next car. And as it is, it still may be my next car. It's not CL, but I like them. Just my opinion.
Thanks to all. Hey when I put up the post, I was pissed. I think if they had given me a New RL to drive I would have bitched about them giving me a 4 Dr Family car. I also have a Lexus SC400 and I blew the motor on NOS about 2 months ago. The CLS is my baby and this mistake had me with 0 cars to drive. The TSX is a great car and my sorry for saying anything about it.

Got my CLS back today and now we are waiting on the estimate from the body shop on the hood damage.