Clutches. Want a clutch that will hold power and drive nice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Clutches. Want a clutch that will hold power and drive nice?

I have (or believe I have) the solution. In conjunction with Clutch Specialties, I have formulated a solution to the clutch problem.

We have assembled a kit which will hold up to 500 ft-lbs of torque, have a mild increase in pedal effort, and engage smoothly. It is slippable, and it is poppable. There are two different disc options, and an aluminum flywheels is included.

I don't have pics yet. We have not made these yet. I can get stuff together, but the only catch is we need to get the flywheels made in batches of 5. So for selling we are going to do them in batches of 5 for now. You can call it a group-buy if you want. I refuse to but you can. Ultimately the goal is to make them so they are in stock items ready to ship when we need them.

So here is the kit's contents:

Pressure Plate
Full-face organic disc: Sprung hub or Rigid hub option
Aluminum flywheel with replaceable friction disc, pilot bearing preinstalled
Genuine Honda throw-out bearing
ARP Flywheel and Pressure Plate hardware
Clutch Alignment tool
...And if you are all good, I should be able to toss in a Stainless Braided Clutch Line from Fastline Performance (no, we don't make one yet, but we will make one for this kit), $29 retail.

Here is the cost of the kit:
$1499

Shipping, $20 within continental USA.

I know it is not inexpensive. But it is the only way we can make a kit that people will like. The amount of inginuity involved in the kit necessitates the cost. This is definately the most expensive kit I have had to sell, but it is also the trickiest one.

No, these parts will not be interchangable with stock parts. I highly doubt the pressure plate will fit the Comptech wheel. At any rate, we will only sell it as a complete kit.

For more information on what disc to choose look here:
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1164569449
Scroll to the middle for organic disc description and to the bottom for solid or sprung hub information.

I really want to get these made. For the First 5 people who order up will get a set of upgraded shifter bushings free of charge. If you don't know about these then hit me up. They make the shifting feel more direct and generally awesome.

The best part is, no waiting. We need about 2 weeks to make them once we get the orders.

How to order:
We need 50% as a deposit to get started, and 50% when they are done.
Paypal@heeltoeauto.com
Or
949-295-1668 with a credit card.

Marcus
Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, and I will be taking care of the gb on my own site....Posting a link soon.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Good news on that. Gotta see pics, and Just a question or two.

What is the clamping force of the PP your using.

The PP, is it an existing one for another model car and your flywheel was machined so that PP would meet the geometry/measurements of our car?

thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
this is exciting and thanks for the R&D.

Another Question.

Have you been able to test this on one of our cars yet? If so, what were the results?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Former Sponsor

I am not going to release any nity gritty about the kit because it did take some trickery to get it together. I can say the clamping force is well over 3000lbs.

We have not tested yet, but we are confident of fitment and effectiveness. Clutch Specialties' owner has been around the block a few times and is good enough to know what to and what not to sell. If we needed more R&D, he'd tell me.

Marcus
Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

73 views and one poster......

I thought this was something we were in need of.....
Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I'm still in sticker shock.........

Cool option though
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm interested. Just that 1500 is alot more then I thought a kit would run
Old 01-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Well, as it turns out, that $1300 comptech flywheel is $1300 for a reason....these are not off the shelf bits.

I am pretty sure I can get the price lower if we can get 10, but I knew it was expensive and I didn't think I could get 10 in a reasonable amount of time. Should I look into it?

If you guys are ok reusing oem stuff (there is no issue with doing so) I am sure taking out the arp parts, bushings, and clutch line will help a little.

Marcus
Old 01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
THE J35A2...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
defenitely looking forward to this... 3000lbs of calmping force is pretty decent, but i don't feel like a guinea pig as of now
Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 AM
THE J35A2...

is this the same company?

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/melting-pop-cupholder-184565/
Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SIRSIG

Yes, I mentioned it was Clutch Specialties in my post. I have been working with them for about 5 years. He's awesome. Single most knowledgable clutch guy I know.

Marcus
Old 01-19-2007, 11:52 AM
THE J35A2...

do you have CL-S 6spd R&D car already? i want to see this in person how it performs, i'm just curious. not dissing the product.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Former Sponsor

do you have CL-S 6spd R&D car already? i want to see this in person how it performs, i'm just curious. not dissing the product.

We don't really need an R&D car...

I am sure you have read comments about the Comptech flywheel...all those comments are going to be pretty similar here, except add the ability to hold power!

Marcus
Old 02-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
We don't really need an R&D car...

I am sure you have read comments about the Comptech flywheel...all those comments are going to be pretty similar here, except add the ability to hold power!

Marcus
Considering that Comptech wants $450 just for a new clutch disk, this isn't too bad of a deal.

So who's in need of a new clutch? Let's get 5 units together to get this thing going guys. Is there any additional price break if we can get more than 5 in on this?

1. Allout
Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 AM
SOLD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good bump, I wish I had 6 gears or I would do this. Definitely a good idea for anyone thinkin of F/I. Only $200 more than Comptech, for something that could actually add effectiveness and increase power capacity more than minutely. Doesn't sound too bad.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering that Comptech wants $450 just for a new clutch disk, this isn't too bad of a deal.

So who's in need of a new clutch? Let's get 5 units together to get this thing going guys. Is there any additional price break if we can get more than 5 in on this?

1. Allout
2. Paclark01
Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paclark01

1. Allout
2. Paclark01

Yay! Let's get this together

Marcus
Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Blown is Best

Come on guys. Let's get this clutch project off the ground

1. Allout
2. Paclark01
Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm a Vagiterian.

If I had a stick, my name would be on there.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by All Mine
If I had a stick, my name would be on there.
I wish you had one too so you could be #3
Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Marcus, add me to the list as i am in dire need of one right now. What kind of time frame can we expect this in?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Blown is Best

Come on guys. Let's get this clutch project off the ground

1. Allout
2. Paclark01
3. Ryan97812

Spread the word guys.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
I do need a clutch too but just questioning paying over 2k after installation on a clutch that has not been tested.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Blown is Best

I've asked around and Clutch Specialties is reputable. I'm willing to give it a shot considering our options.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RYAN97812
Marcus, add me to the list as i am in dire need of one right now. What kind of time frame can we expect this in?
It kinda depends on when we can get paid on these . Once I have the deposits it should only be a couple weeks.

Marcus
Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by JBlueCLS6
I do need a clutch too but just questioning paying over 2k after installation on a clutch that has not been tested.
I feel the same way. My car is down because I have yet to taken my car apart to install a clutch/flywheel/PP. I've been sitting back waiting for something to come up. The only thing that gets me, is the fact that it's an organic clutch.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Instructor

I was wondering the same thing about organic. Isn't that going to start slipping when it gets hot/ And is the life expectancy the same as stock assuming it's driven the same/ (sorry my question mark key is broken on this keyboard lol)
Old 02-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cocoa
I feel the same way. My car is down because I have yet to taken my car apart to install a clutch/flywheel/PP. I've been sitting back waiting for something to come up. The only thing that gets me, is the fact that it's an organic clutch.

The clutch has been tested. We measured and spec'd it on the bench to provide a significant amount of pressure over stock. We are confident that it will work and hold the way we say it will.

What is wrong with an organic clutch?

Marcus
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
2600lb CL

I just think of organic as a "street use" product. I was hoping for a ceramic clutch. But yes, organic clucthes can hold their own, and I should not in any way doubt it's capability. I was simply hoping...that's all. What's the weight of your flywheel? And if you must know, no, my car is not driven on the streets, nor is it my intention.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I just think of organic as a "street use" product. I was hoping for a ceramic clutch. But yes, organic clucthes can hold their own, and I should not in any way doubt it's capability. I was simply hoping...that's all. What's the weight of your flywheel? And if you must know, no, my car is not driven on the streets, nor is it my intention.

It really depends on what material we are specifically talking about. Chewing gum is chewing gum, right? Well, Chicklets don't have flavor crystals, and Extra won't give you cavities....

This is your typical organic disc:

This is a stock disc that a lot of companies like to call "organic." Yes, it is an organic compound, but there is no benefit of this lining over stock. Grip is pretty much stock. They don't take heat well. They can crack and break. Engagement is not strong, direct, consistent, or really all that impressive. But, it works and it is cheap. So this is what cars come with. With the lack of ability for many companies to manufacture or source anything else this is what you get from most aftermarket companies. With a stronger pressure plate, you'll hear Civic and Integra people rave about performance of this disc....that's because their cars don't make enough power to require anything else.

Now, this is a Clutch Specialties organic disc:

There is a steel backing on the friction material. It is very strong and not prone to breaking up, even under heavy loads. The copper lining on the inside of the material makes heat-capacity and dissipation highly increased over stock. The fact that copper is a relatively soft metal means that excess wear is avoided. The organic compound actually feels different in your hand. It is not tacky, but you can feel that is provides a much higher friction coefficient than a standard disc. Wear is generally very good on the disc itself. Slipping is possible with this disc making driving very smooth.

When combined with a rigid hub, fast and aggressive driving is very rewarding. Power goes right into the trans and into the wheels. The pedal is more touchy with the rigid hub, but with a sensitive clutch foot you can get the best of both worlds out of this disc. I love the rigid hub and recommend it to the enthusiast driver. A spring hub is better for general smooth driving and no desire to drive hard.

Marcus
Old 02-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Blown is Best

We need 5 people to commit with deposits in order to make this happen. I'm willing to be the test mule as I'm in need of a clutch.

If MrHeeltoe is willing, are you guys willing to plunk down a deposit that will be held until the setup is installed in mine and tested? Joes05TL has proven that the CL flywheel will work in the TL.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:54 PM
THE J35A2...

1. Allout
2. Paclark01
3. Ryan97812
4. SIRSIG (Rigid hub option)

ITR will be coming in few more days from now, and i'm tired of waiting on ACT so, i might be able to grab one

Mrheeltoe, do you mind posting pictures of the flywheel and PP? also for those SoCal'ers who lives around LA/Riverside/Fullerton area, i know a place who can install this (Cocoa know's) and they're one of the best shop, maybe a group "install day" (well, it will not be installed a day but maybe we can get a good deal) can save us $$$ also, i'm local, can i pick this up? dont wanna pay $20 for shipping and yeah, don't forget the Stainless Braided Clutch Line from Fastline Performance

one more Q, will this application fit on 7th gen Accords?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

1. Allout
2. Paclark01
3. Ryan97812

ITR will be coming in few more days from now, and i'm tired of waiting on ACT so, i might be able to grab one

Mrheeltoe, do you mind posting pictures of the flywheel and PP? also for those SoCal'ers who lives around LA/Riverside/Fullerton area, i know a place who can install this (Cocoa know's) and they're one of the best shop, maybe a group "install day" (well, it will not be installed a day but maybe we can get a good deal) can save us $$$ also, i'm local, can i pick this up? dont wanna pay $20 for shipping and yeah, don't forget the Stainless Braided Clutch Line from Fastline Performance

one more Q, will this application fit on 7th gen Accords?

Pics will come when I get some product to take pics of! That will happen after I get the deposits needed to order the parts!

I have a guy who will install as well. You can pick up as well.

Should be able to fit the 7th gen accords....and most likely the 5th gen ones as well.

Marcus
Old 02-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by Nitrotiger
i will be in if i have a gurantee this will work
Deposit will be held until a proven working version is done. If a working version does not happen, MrHeeltoe will refund deposits.

Deposit is to show commitment to this project to hold one of the first 5 produced.

Here's the list of people so far. We need one more to kick this project off and then collect the deposits. Someone please jump in as #5

1. Allout
2. Paclark01
3. Ryan97812
Old 02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
2600lb CL

I'll think about it.

What's the weight of the flywheel you intend on using?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor

I'll think about it.

What's the weight of the flywheel you intend on using?

Hard to say right now, but should be in the 9-10 lb range.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Blown is Best

And we can choose which disk we want?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:40 PM
THE J35A2...

sorry if i missed it, but how much's the deposit?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Blown is Best

sorry if i missed it, but how much's the deposit?
50% = $750. I'm sending mine over tonight.

Quick Reply: Clutches. Want a clutch that will hold power and drive nice?