Clutch Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002 | 02:54 PM
Old and Slow

Clutch Switch

I had to have my car towed in Saturday because it would not start. I started having problems with the igniton safety switch mounted on the clutch pedal. I would have to step on the clutch pedal a number of times before it would start. It finally died when I was at the store. TLC road side care worked fine. They hooked me to the dealer with no probs.

The only problem I have is with the dealer. Their service personnell are very arrogant and not customer friendly. When I called them Friday (before the car broke down) , to bring the car in, they told me to drop it off on Monday, and maybe if they had time they would look at it on Monday becuse they were booked through next Friday. I asked if I dropped it off if I would be able to get a loaner. The service rep told me I would have to deal with Enterprise rent a car. They have the same attitude about oil changes. You have to make an appointment at least 1 to 2 weeks in advance. I now take the car to my old Honda dealer where I can drive in and be out in a half hour and they are $8 cheaper. If I can I am going to get all of my services done at the Honda dealer because this Acura dealer is terrible.
Old 09-30-2002 | 03:13 PM
Instructor

I don't live anywhere near on Acura dealer... did buy my car from a Honda / Volvo dealer and they said that most of the repair work colud be done there because of Honda relationship. Their Volvo mechanic was top-notch (25+ years of experience) - we took our 740 turbo wagon there for repairs. It is really hard to find a combo of professionalism, caring and fair value - shop around if you don't feel comfortable.
Old 09-30-2002 | 03:39 PM
Where is my super sauce?

My clutch switch went in my 1991 Integra when it was about 8 or 9 years old. It was about $100 to fix, but I'm sure yours will be covered under warranty.

A similar switch that disengages the cruise control when the clutch pedal is depressed went out within a year of the other switch (the symptom - the cruise control would never engage). This was about $100 as well, and although I was convinced these two incidents are related, the repair guy said no. I wondered if there was some problem 'upstream' in a relay or wiring coming from the clutch switch.
Old 09-30-2002 | 04:45 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Booked till Friday

Bull ! They are probably "BOOKED UP" due to all the transmissions they are replacing on the CL's ...........LOL !!!!
Old 09-30-2002 | 08:28 PM
Instructor

Clutch Oddities

Dude, sorry to hear about your clutch switch... don't know anything about the CL switch, but I had the same problem on a manual '89 accord. There was a small sensor underneath the clutch that wasn't set properly and the cruise wouldn't engage. The dealer fixed it in literally 5 minutes w/o charge.

I hope your Acura dealership wises up. The dealership I got my CL from was awesome (Bell Acura in Phoenix, AZ--ask for "Roach"). I was told every dealer gets a 5-point rating which helps determine the allocation for vehicles they get (anything lower than 5 is BAD). Call Acura Customer Service (sounds like an oxymoron if you read this board) and complain. If you're not getting served, hurt em where it counts. :sqntfawk:

-- Nihil
Old 09-30-2002 | 08:37 PM
Instructor

Sorry to steal your thunder here, but I just remembered a wierd thing our CL is doing...

My wife complained to me yesterday the clutch resists going into 2nd. I immediately thought she wasn't leaving the clutch partially engaged and grinding it, so decided to drive it around.

Sure enough, after about 10 minutes, I went to shift into 2nd and felt the transmission mash (didn't hear it though). This car is waaayy too new to have lost 2nd considering it's been babied since day 1. We have just over 700 miles on it, 500+ of which were from the drive back from AZ. I've only nailed it once (or twice ), but that was after 600 miles and she drives conservatively. I've not felt this in any other gear but 2nd and never feel it with a double-clutch (but who the hell wants to do that every shift? :thumbsdn:

The only other thing she mentioned is that it will sometimes kick the shifter out of 1st when slowing down. I just told her to stop using the engine as a break during conservative driving and stop boggin my brand-new engine.

Any thoughts/similiar experiences?

-- Nihil
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:50 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Nihilistan
Sorry to steal your thunder here, but I just remembered a wierd thing our CL is doing...

My wife complained to me yesterday the clutch resists going into 2nd. I immediately thought she wasn't leaving the clutch partially engaged and grinding it, so decided to drive it around.

Sure enough, after about 10 minutes, I went to shift into 2nd and felt the transmission mash (didn't hear it though). This car is waaayy too new to have lost 2nd considering it's been babied since day 1. We have just over 700 miles on it, 500+ of which were from the drive back from AZ. I've only nailed it once (or twice ), but that was after 600 miles and she drives conservatively. I've not felt this in any other gear but 2nd and never feel it with a double-clutch (but who the hell wants to do that every shift? :thumbsdn:

The only other thing she mentioned is that it will sometimes kick the shifter out of 1st when slowing down. I just told her to stop using the engine as a break during conservative driving and stop boggin my brand-new engine.

Any thoughts/similiar experiences?

-- Nihil
Check out this thread in the Transmission Problem forum http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=74542 . I thought this issue spontaneously went away. I've not experienced it in my six speeder.

Grinding into second, but not with double- clutching...bad syncros? Bring it in and get it checked out.
Old 09-30-2002 | 10:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Slimey
Check out this thread in the Transmission Problem forum http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=74542 . I thought this issue spontaneously went away. I've not experienced it in my six speeder.

Grinding into second, but not with double- clutching...bad syncros? Bring it in and get it checked out.
One word: GODFUCKINGDAMNIT
Thanks for the "referral"... I browsed through those forums and only saw 5spd related threads.
-- Nihil