Clutch issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 12:35 PM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issues...

No, not problems with my clutch..the entire car is doing fine...except for that 2nd gear notchiness (minor gripe)...

I am having some issues...that is when I drive stick, my freakin' left leg gets kinda tiresome. Here is a problem I'm having: how do you adjust your seats accordingly? I mean, I'm not that tall and I need to depress the clutch all the way down to the floor, but if I move my seat up, I'm just a bit too close to the steering wheel but if I move it back further bit, I am just slightly uncomfortable when I have to depress the damn clutch all the way down to the floor.

This causes major fatigue..well, just driving stick causes that for me. This is my 1st stick car and now I realise why I want to drive automagic for ever. Perhaps now I'm thinking SMG style transmission is the best way to go...seriously.

Any tips on how to drive stick and not be so fatigued?
Old 03-19-2003, 12:37 PM
im back

when my leg gets tired i just stop using the clutch in 2,3,4,5,6..1st to 2nd is the only time i use my clutch when i'm tired. But otherwise no ideas for ya
Old 03-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
You "stop" using the clutch???

You're joking, right?
Old 03-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Jeez....what a pussy! j/k

But seriously....if you're having issues with the clutch on a CL, just be glad that you didn't buy a manual transmission PERFORMANCE car!

The CL clutch is just about the lightest clutch I've ever experienced. If you're complaining about that clutch, you'd absolutely HATE depressing the clutch on most other cars.

Perhaps SMG would be good for you, since you can't deal with a clutch pedal.....unfortunately, you're gonna have to be willing to spend some serious $$$$ to get SMG. Maybe in the future you'll see SMG on lower priced cars.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
You would hate the clutch's in 5 speed trucks. Mainly the Ford kind. You just have to play with the seat. Another hint. You will have less fatigue if you don't drive with your wallet in your back pocket. No joke. It puts pressure on your lower back.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Dude, you'll get used to it. You muscles will get stronger and that's it. You just have to learn that you don't have to keep the clutch depressed long. It should be 1 second. You press it, and let go right away. You are never supposed to hold it down. Besides, on Acura's, the way the clutch workes, you don't have to depress it all the way day, it grabs at the top. With alitlle practice you'll get a hang of it.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with Tom2: sounds like you got the wrong car - you either don't fit in it well or you need to build up your leg muscles. The CL clutch is hydraulic assisted and not hard to push on at all.

I've been driving stick for 20+ years in the heaviest of metropolitan traffic and my left leg has never been any more tired then my right.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Advanced

That's very true about not holding the clutch down. If you stop for a lite/etc put it in neutral; if you hold the clutch down for any amount of time you're going to cause the pressure plate to go bad well before it's time/NEVER hold the clutch down and wait.

I've been driving stick since '66 and I do feel the clutch on the CL is for some reason different than most and more difficult to get a smooth start from a stop with (release point? I'm not sure); seem to have gotten used to it though hopefully you will too.

Also the advice about the wallet is absolutely true (keep mine in my shirt pocket most of the time now).

Anyway GOODLUCK hope it works out for you

tommy
Old 03-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

I can’t believe you’re getting fatigued driving the 6-Speed.
I find it a complete PLEASURE to row through the gears every day.

If you want fatigue, try driving a 1980’s vintage U-Haul truck with a 3-Speed clutch around the city moving one of your CHEAP ASS friends who refuses to hire a professional….. Hi Dom

Shawn S

PS… For whatever its worth, my 1st to 2nd “grind issue” has magically gone away this past week since the thermometer has inched above the 40-degree mark.
It looks like this is a “cold weather only” issue with the 6-Speed.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
[B
For whatever its worth, my 1st to 2nd “grind issue” has magically gone away this past week since the thermometer has inched above the 40-degree mark.
It looks like this is a “cold weather only” issue with the 6-Speed. [/B]
Ditto..

Smitty
Old 03-19-2003, 04:03 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
DDT, thank god your clutch is ok and it's just your leg! j/k.
I found this to help since my legs are shorter than some. If you adjust the TILT/HEIGHT of the seat BOTTOM, this can alleviate the extra stretch your leg goes thru if the front edge of the seat is elevated too high. Know what I mean?
You can adjust the seat bottom to tilt more level or more downward. To do this you pull UP or DOWN or TILT the seat bottom adjustment, not sliding it from front to back. This helped me get my leg closer to the pedal without having to sit too close.
Just try adjusting every way till it feels better, especially the seat HEIGHT. Good luck, I think you'll find a comfortable position.
You made a good choice, love my 6 speed. Don't get a CLS auto, or if you do, I was recommended to get Onstar too so you can call them when the trans goes out!?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

my 88 mustang gt was a bitch too, 355 gears did not help either

i swore never to by a stick for my shitty daily commute again
Old 03-19-2003, 04:16 PM
6SPDCLS

thanks guys, but I'm not being a pussy and i'm not riding down the clutch all the time...

You know I have watched numerous jap videos where they show 2 cameras..one on the bottom (clutch, brake, accel. pedal) and the other on the driver. You can see that when the driver (driving the RSX-S, NSX, and WRX), they depress the clutch down for less than one second, jam on the shift lever to shift, and then release the clutch while slamming down on the accelerator!

When i saw this, I attempted to try it..but I find that the freakin' car jerks badly. I have to basically depress the clutch all the way down and then I shift into gear then slowly release the clutch back up (about only 1.x inches is required) before I apply some gas so that i can get a SMOOTH shift. It works great that way..but anytime I let the clutch go (per se the ONE SECOND gear shifting method), the car won't shift and drive smoothly.

That is why I am fatiguing because when i shift, I have to stretch my freakin' short left leg to press the clutch all the way down, shift into a gear (and it being notchy sometimes makes it harder to shift into a gear), and then slowly release (while my left leg is stretchin' in order to release the clutch out smoothly). I'm just wondering if you guys have a better technique cause this noob is lame!

Also, I know about the throw out bearing wearing if I sit on the clutch all day long...but I usually don't..just pop into neutral when idling. But I must also shift from second into first when I'm at a stop...cause it's hard to shift into first without some force...

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S

PS… For whatever its worth, my 1st to 2nd “grind issue” has magically gone away this past week since the thermometer has inched above the 40-degree mark.
It looks like this is a “cold weather only” issue with the 6-Speed.
Less gum'd up oil on the syncros... I noticed it too.

NICE!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

You can shift without pressing the clutch... just have to get used to it... from experience, you will know just when to notch it
down (or up) when the synchro's line up. However... mess and and get a good grind!!
Old 03-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Instructor

yup...i've been able to shift without the clutch in all three of my hondas....a civic and 2 crx's. it works easiest going from 2-3 and 3-4. 1-2 and 4-5 isnt as smooth. it usually goes in at about 2500rpm. no grinds or anything. you can also go from neutral into 1st gear if you're rolling REAL slow.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Originally posted by FPAEP
Dude, you'll get used to it. You muscles will get stronger and that's it. You just have to learn that you don't have to keep the clutch depressed long. It should be 1 second. You press it, and let go right away. You are never supposed to hold it down. Besides, on Acura's, the way the clutch workes, you don't have to depress it all the way day, it grabs at the top. With alitlle practice you'll get a hang of it.
Agree with all except that mine (and others I've spoken with) grabs at the bottom and very quickly.

RobG, I suggest you use your ball and toe to depress the clutch fully. Have the seat close enough to do this comfortably. Tilt the seat back to keep the steering wheel far enough away to be comfortable. I'm only 5-6 and find this very comfy for me.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 AM
Safety Car

I feel you man. This is my first stick too. I am 6'0" I need the seat all the way down and almost all the way back. I did have the seat all the way back on my auto, but i had to move forward more to push the clutch all the way in. then recline more so i'm not too close to the wheel.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Adivce? Go to the gym! If the CL clutch makes you ache....take it as a hint
Old 03-20-2003, 07:14 AM
im back

kalamala, what does that have to do with me? my seats comfortable and i can reach the clutch fine..i think you meant the person who started this thread..and allmotor knows what i'm talking about. If you know where your syncro's line up its the easiest thing. And also when you're watching the video of the guys shifting hard...thats when they're getting on the car not just normally driving. How long have you been driving stick anyway?
Old 03-20-2003, 08:17 AM
1 Phat CL !

i cant believe rob g stop using the clutch, C u soon with a burn clutch and damaged flywheel.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:36 AM
im back

i'm not even gonna try to explain what i said
Old 03-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Where is my super sauce?

As others have said, you can shift a manual car without the clutch.

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. This isn't something we should recommend for the inexperienced.

A lot of folks post here that are first-time users of a manual transmission. I would not recommend this technique for the new user.

I'm turning 180 and being an advocate for the newbie, for once.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
thanks guys, but I'm not being a pussy and i'm not riding down the clutch all the time...

You know I have watched numerous jap videos where they show 2 cameras..one on the bottom (clutch, brake, accel. pedal) and the other on the driver. You can see that when the driver (driving the RSX-S, NSX, and WRX), they depress the clutch down for less than one second, jam on the shift lever to shift, and then release the clutch while slamming down on the accelerator!

When i saw this, I attempted to try it..but I find that the freakin' car jerks badly. I have to basically depress the clutch all the way down and then I shift into gear then slowly release the clutch back up (about only 1.x inches is required) before I apply some gas so that i can get a SMOOTH shift. It works great that way..but anytime I let the clutch go (per se the ONE SECOND gear shifting method), the car won't shift and drive smoothly.

That is why I am fatiguing because when i shift, I have to stretch my freakin' short left leg to press the clutch all the way down, shift into a gear (and it being notchy sometimes makes it harder to shift into a gear), and then slowly release (while my left leg is stretchin' in order to release the clutch out smoothly). I'm just wondering if you guys have a better technique cause this noob is lame!

Also, I know about the throw out bearing wearing if I sit on the clutch all day long...but I usually don't..just pop into neutral when idling. But I must also shift from second into first when I'm at a stop...cause it's hard to shift into first without some force...

Thanks!
Okay, i know exactly what your problem is. you have to practice release the clutch gently. The reason you car jerks, and leg hurts is because you release too quick and too sudden. You have to release very gently. Once you get a hang of it, you'll be able to release very gently and fast at the same time. That's how those guys on TV do it, and that's how anyone who know how to drive stick does it. So practice, the key is"gently" !!!
Old 03-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey
As others have said, you can shift a manual car without the clutch.

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. This isn't something we should recommend for the inexperienced.

A lot of folks post here that are first-time users of a manual transmission. I would not recommend this technique for the new user.

I'm turning 180 and being an advocate for the newbie, for once.

I can drive a stick, but I still can't do this right. I tried, I will not try again.