cls vs. g35c

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls vs. g35c

Just test drove '04 g35c [mentally comparing to my cls] - wasn't very impressed. Fuel cutoff occured before redline, so had to upshift in time [next time], also the entire dash moves with the wheel - what's up with that??? - couldn't find the best sitting position... Nice brakes though.
CLS made me 'lazy' i.e. auto switching btwn 1 and 2nd and at the redline ... Perhaps biased but I find CLS 'silkier' in power delivery...

Any previous cls vs. g35c comparison threads ? Pardon if repitition...

.A.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
The "pod" design is something that is rather nice, IHMO. The steering wheel doesn't block your dash...

I've heard the triptronic in the G sucks compared to the CLS. I wouldn't know. Never drove an auto. I would like the fact that you can control the 1-2 upshift however...

As for the redline... I have no idea on that. I can go a couple hundred rpms past my redline and not hit the cutoff..

In fact, I've never hit it in my car.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah I drove an 04 g35c 6 speed a few days ago...

much faster
better stock exhaust note
better brakes
better handling
better interior (embroidered seats are nice, accent rings around speakers, roomier back seat)
auto up/down windows are great
bigger sunroof
led tail lights are cool

I liked it better than my cl-s in just about every aspect
Old 02-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Scrib.... if only my wife would drive a stick !!! Thanks for your g2 ... With autoShift I haven't felt the 'rush' close to 280hp.. even at the limit [the dealer was friendly though in allowing..]. I'll stick with CLS for the time being... Still, a great looking machine with a nice exhaust note... i.e. best nissan's effort then anything in quite some time. Of course, rwd cannot be beat...
Old 02-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Instructor

BEETROOT... Hmm... maybe mine was a 'demo', i.e. had 73miles already. Will take your word for it and test the 6sp next time... since wife rarely drives cls now that I think about it ...
Old 02-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 6spd has been shown to be not that much quicker then the auto. That auto you drove should have felt a bit quicker then the CL.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by BEETROOT
yeah I drove an 04 g35c 6 speed a few days ago...

much faster
better stock exhaust note
better brakes
better handling
better interior (embroidered seats are nice, accent rings around speakers, roomier back seat)
auto up/down windows are great
bigger sunroof
led tail lights are cool

I liked it better than my cl-s in just about every aspect
Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Chaptorial... I KNOW what you mean.. it should have... but for some reason it didn't... G35c seemed less torquer at lo rpms and then the punch is felt... Aside from CLS I haven't found anything auto that would excite with good torque at lo rpms. Prevoius VTECHs were bad especially [owned a lemon '00 accord v6 coupe]
Maybe that's what 'confused' me... i.e. overall g35c was slightly quicker, although .3-.5secs is hardly noticiable.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vtec...

I work at Vtech. We sell phones.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a vtec phone. Worst phone I ever had. If you unplugged the base the phone would beep constantly these really loud annoying beeps. When I moved it was so annoying the box it was in kept beeping...so I had to take the battery off the phone...then I lost the battery. The replacement was half as much as the whole phone cost, and it never worked well anyway, so I smashed the thing against the dumpster in my parking lot.

/rant

I'm sure the rest of your phones are terrific though
Old 02-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

Test drove the g35 auto 2months ago and it felt alot faster than my 03 auto cls in every way its just too bad the car came out 3months after I bought my cls.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:19 PM
///M POWER

u got in the worng way around, the g feels quicker in the lower rpms, it makes more trw down low and has better geareing than a auto cl-s so u should feel the difference, add headers to a cl-s u can prolly edge em off on the top end
Old 02-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Instructor

out of curiosity I will test at another dealer.. the one I drove did not perform vs. what you guys tested. The punch was considerable in the mid, but not lo rpm.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Administrator Alumnus

The G is sneaky fast. It doesn't feel fast, but when you look down the speedo, you're like .

The engine note of the CLS just sounds better, and the rush of VTEC is just awesome. I miss that.

Honestly, when i drove a G sedan (auto) the buttdyno was telling me the auto was faster than my car. However, I know that's not the case. Perception is a bitch sometimes.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:40 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

yea its probably in your mind the g has bland engine tone, but nice exhaust your mind makes you believe our cl-s is faster, but sadly in reality we are the ones loosing the races
Old 02-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Instructor

They should up the NSX to 400hp, make TL 300hp and the derivative such as resurection of CL/S, just like they did with the original CL after a few years of production of TL... provided they move enough out the door, other then that we have Classics on our hands ... Or we could be driving 400hp Mustangs.. roughly the same cost.. but eventually with thou$$ands in incentives....
Old 02-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Instructor

cls vs. g35c

Perception.... add to that bias :o... and one doesn't know what to believe

Anyone yet 'witnessed' both stock in action, side by side?? I am dreaming of this random 'occasion'....
Old 02-20-2004, 09:53 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I drove a 6 speed G35 coupe last weekend. Hmm. I don't know if I'm just used to my CL6speed but I wasn't that impressed with the G35. I prefer the more refined smoother power of the CL. My CL feels faster, but I'll consider that it is just perception, but either way I like the speed feel of the CLs better. The G feels kind of cheaper made, from the interior, the trunk lid, the hood. I like the G35 side profile, beautiful from that angle.
I told the salesman that the car was nowhere worth the $37k they were asking. had Navi (that was cool) and was used.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Race Director

^

That doesn't really surprise me. Speaking from Auto to Auto people tend to think driving a CLS and then getting into a G35c your going to be blown away by the car. Now when you break it down does RWD and 20 more horses make the G a better car? Hellz yeah. Does the better weight distribution and overall profile of the car lean more towards sport? Hellz yeah again.

But it’s still not like going from say a Solara to a G35c. The CL when modded may still get beat by the G but it narrows the gap considerably from stock.

Before i bought the CL i went to the Infiniti dealership right down the road and sat in and test-drove the G so I made my choice between the two cars before I was committed to either.

CLS, great car. G35c, great car. But i an't :wackit: ing it to the G. No way.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
///M POWER

i drove the G like a few months after i got my ride, still liked my car better,
Old 02-21-2004, 04:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by Chaptorial
^

That doesn't really surprise me. Speaking from Auto to Auto people tend to think driving a CLS and then getting into a G35c your going to be blown away by the car. Now when you break it down does RWD and 20 more horses make the G a better car? Hellz yeah. Does the better weight distribution and overall profile of the car lean more towards sport? Hellz yeah again.

But it’s still not like going from say a Solara to a G35c. The CL when modded may still get beat by the G but it narrows the gap considerably from stock.

Before i bought the CL i went to the Infiniti dealership right down the road and sat in and test-drove the G so I made my choice between the two cars before I was committed to either.

CLS, great car. G35c, great car. But i an't :wackit: ing it to the G. No way.

i would rather spend a few grands more for RWD and mod potential...

i just installed my greddy sp2 with custom piping on my g35c.. it sounds like monster compare to my CLS....and i got like 1 hp or less from my exhausts on my cls... and i think i got over 15WHP with my greddy SP2 with 3.5" piping on my g35c.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Team Owner

i dont know about you guys. the response i got when i had my cls is ohhhh nice acura... and the response i get from my G35C is damnn.... r u rich or something?

i am not saying CLS is bad.. in fact i would have MY "MY OLD" CLS over my G35C any day...
Old 02-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro

i think we all agreed on the fact that spec wise..the g35c is better. i mean cmon..the cls has been around for quite a while now. when it first came out it was one of the top in its class. for infiniti to make a luxury coupe subpar to the cls would have been a stupid move. but like i said..its better spec wise (i.e. horsepower, rwd, torque etc.) anything else such as the interior exterior is all up to the person planning on buying the car

that said, the g35c is faster, no doubt about it (stock vs stock of course). i do like the exhaust note, but the cls' exhaust note isnt too shabby itself, and the vtec roar is waaaaay better than g35 WOT
Old 02-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by oonowindoo
ur comparing a modded CLS with a stock G35C... compare a modded CLS with a modded G35C and tell me what u think..
Well i did compare stock for stock and stock for modded but not modded for modded. This is true.

Did you get that exhaust dynoed yet? I thought i heard that exhaust mods don't do much for the G.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

i dont think i can afford dyno...

but according to my BUTT... with my greddy evo on my CLS.. i am prerty sure i have gain SOME HP on the G35
Old 02-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

My 2 Cents I've Owned Both

OK Guys, I've owned both so I feel I can make a fair compairson. Last Jan I purchased a new 6spd G35 and sold it in July. Then yesterday I puchased a new 6spd CL. The main reason I sold the G is that it felt like they put a tractor engin in it. It clearly hated to rev past 3-4 grand and when pushed it felt and sounded like it was gonna blow at any minute. Even the gearshift buzzed and rocked like crazy with the engine revs.

The CL on the other hand is the picture of refinement with no loss in performance. True the styling isn't as exciting and the brake are not as good but for me smooth is where it's at when I don't have to give up performance. Plus the build and interior quality are light years ahead of the G.

UR2SLOW
Old 02-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Well, there's one opinion for you.

Unfortunately, you did give up performance, but if that's what makes you happy, that's cool with me.

Yes, the VQ motor isn't refined as much as the J-series, but it's not going to blow. j/k

The reason the gearshift vibrates is because the way the linkage is setup. The end result is an insanely strong transmission, but much more "feedback" in the stick. I personally like it.

And the "interior" quality... They're equal. Two different designs, but the quality of parts is the the same IMHO. Just wait until the rattles show up in your car. :P
Old 02-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

i can agree with everything u said cuz it s your car and it s ur opinion.. EXCEPT.. matter of fact.. the BUILD QUALITY.. dont get me started on CL's build quality... and newbie.. 99% of the ppl here have/had own CLS and about 50% of them are nissan owners now

scrib u sure learned a lot from the internet...
Old 02-21-2004, 08:18 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I dont think the CL-S has a higher quality interior, I think the design is a little friendlier though.

That being said the G35 is a very nice car. Remember though, you're not gonna get a G35C 6 speed with all the nice shit for close to what the CL-S6 was going for. If I only could afford one car I would be in a G35X right now. However, up here in Michigan rwd (IMO) isnt the best choice if its your daily driver. I prefer having the luxury & good snow handling of the CL-S & having my rwd Mustang that has alot more potential than a G35, and is just as fun to drive even if it's not as classy looking.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro

Re: My 2 Cents I've Owned Both

Originally posted by UR2SLOW
OK Guys, I've owned both so I feel I can make a fair compairson. Last Jan I purchased a new 6spd G35 and sold it in July. Then yesterday I puchased a new 6spd CL. The main reason I sold the G is that it felt like they put a tractor engin in it. It clearly hated to rev past 3-4 grand and when pushed it felt and sounded like it was gonna blow at any minute. Even the gearshift buzzed and rocked like crazy with the engine revs.

The CL on the other hand is the picture of refinement with no loss in performance. True the styling isn't as exciting and the brake are not as good but for me smooth is where it's at when I don't have to give up performance. Plus the build and interior quality are light years ahead of the G.

UR2SLOW
I guess its just a persons opinion for which car is better. I have a g35 6 speed, and my brother has a cls 6 speed. The sound in the G35 is just beautiful..it sounds the way a sports coupe is supposed to sound. I don't know what you talking about when you say it sounds like its gonna blow up. Most people i encounter love the way my g sounds. I like the CL, but the engine is so damn quiet. My brother put a cai which made it better now but i still prefer the sound of my g. Now build quality is not even that great in the CL. My brother has rattles, squeaks, and premature leather wear. I used to have a TL-S and it had the same problems. I have yet to experience any bad interior build quality in my G. It feels really solid and the materials inside seem better than my TL-S was. Just my opinion. I really like the CL/TL's but i'd still take my g anyday
Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 AM
I'm late.

Long as everyone's happy with what they've got, who cares?

For a -real- objective discussion, maybe some BMW and mustang owners should be discussing this.

I dig my 2001 CL-S 5AT. It's all the car I need, f'serious.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Fight On SC!

i will be purchasing a six speed g35 at the end of march. really looking forward to the performance and esthetics of the g. but i will definitely miss the sound and feel of vtec kicking in. but that's about it. i've had my fair share of tranny problems( 2nd tranny at 15k), rattles, fuel regulator replacement, etc. i won't miss that. i believe everyone has made very good points on this topic. for those of you that are happy with your cls, great. i'm glad you guys were lucky enough to get a cl without all the problems. for you guys with the g, i'll be joining you soon. best of luck.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As much as I love my 02 TLS...I would of purchased a G35C if it was out @ the same time. Now, if you bring in a 04 TLS A-Spec, then it might be different. But if you bring in a newly redesigned CL, then its no contest.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:48 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by edgalang
As much as I love my 02 TLS...I would of purchased a G35C if it was out @ the same time. Now, if you bring in a 04 TLS A-Spec, then it might be different. But if you bring in a newly redesigned CL, then its no contest.
I agree 100%. If the G coupe was out when I was looking I'd be driving a black or dark silver 6-speed right now.

True, the interior of the G coupe was much less than I had expected (although the bar was set so low with the Z even a small improvement was still an improvement), the car overall is tight. There is no question that the G is a much classier car that commands much more respect as a luxury car/coupe.

As for a new CL coupe beating the G hands down, I agree that if a new CL soupe was based on the new TL it would be sweet--BUT, it would absolutely, positively have to be rear wheel drive or AWD to compete in my mind. Plus, if Acura does go AWD, expecially in a sports coupe, it better not be primarliy FWD with AWD when necessary!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Drifting

i almost bought a g35instead bought a 04 tl and iam so happy with my decision....I saw a g35 a couple of days ago up close then sat in the tl ....not even close...
Old 02-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Race Director

Received 940 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally posted by Chaptorial
^

Chap

I did the exact same thing when I bought mine. and for the 7 grand price difference it wasn't worth it for the rear wheel drive and the extra few hp.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Drifting

cant go wrong with acura...
Old 02-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: My 2 Cents I've Owned Both

Originally posted by oonowindoo
99% of the ppl here have/had own CLS and about 50% of them are nissan owners now
Maybe 5% of the people who post a lot. But maybe you were being facetious.

Originally posted by 03TL-S
I like the CL, but the engine is so damn quiet.
I actually found the G's engine to be much quieter then a stock CL's. Now the exhaust note is a different story.

Seems like everyone can agree they're both great cars, which is a good thing.