CLS is making a popping sound when turning hard

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS is making a popping sound when turning hard

Sorry for the long post...

Ok I hope you guys can lend some good suggestions. Two days ago I was pulling out of my work parking space and I hear a noticeably loud popping noise coming from the front right of the car. Right away im thinking CV joints , so since the parking lot was empty I starting turning in a hard circle. After a few minutes of listening to the sound it started to go away. I had no way to get under the car since it lowered so I drove home. Once home I tried to duplicate the sound and it wasn't there, so im thinking its fixed. The next day it does the same thing and then goes away after you drive. I have jacked up the car since then and inspected the CV Boots and everything looks ok and there is nothing out right noticeably wrong.

Some history:
I don't drive the car in the winter so the car has only been driven about 3 times since December until this week. Although its been through this same scenario ever since new and never made this noise before.

The car is lowered with H&R sport springs and Neuspeed upper strut bar.

Car has only been driven about 400 miles since inspection by dealer in December.

When I jacked up the car on the passenger side the suspension made almost he same noise but it was not nearly as loud.

My father suspects that it is a bushing somewhere in the suspension.

Any ideas? The car is under warrenty so im going to try and take it in when I get a chance.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could you tell if there's any play in the CV joint? Is the popping repeated as you drive in a circle or is it only as you turn the wheel? If it's repetitive it's probably somewhere in the driveline and not a bushing. It could maybe be a wheel bearing too.

If you can get it to repeat when jacking it up, put it on jack stands and compress and decompress the suspension with the jack and see if you can narrow it down.

Or just let the dealer figure it out.

That's a quality sig quote too.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
samee problem

i have the same problem accept now mine pops all the time. its badd now. every turn mine pops. i think its the cv joint. Im lowered on tein basic coilovers.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM

It is repetitive when I drive in a circle and it will only happen when you have the car at about 99% full lock. The faster you go in a circle the faster it pops and then slowly goes away.

No I wasn't able to check for play in the CV joint yet.

The reason we were thinking bushing is because of how long the car sat without being driven. We thought it could be something like the sway bars torquing up and causing something to pop.

Im going to take it to the dealer for sure if it keeps doing this. Its hard to duplicate since it will only do it after it has been sitting for about 5+ hours. Im worried that they will try to blame it on my springs, but as long as they tell me what the problem is I can fix it.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Sounds like a CV
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I have the same noise. Same situations. I've ignored it since it's only on almost lock to lock turns & I don't do them often. I was told the CV joint is going. But the boot looks fine & there's no play that I can tell. I figured I'd leave it till it got worse. I mean 250hp to the wheels, hard driving & a modified suspension is going to wear things out.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though the boot isn't broken on a CV axle it can still be bad, I had the same thing happen to me on my CL-S6 and the boots were fine, replaced both CV axles and problem fixed.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup, usually when i turn it 99% to the right, thenright when i turn left, it pops.... this usually happens on my driveway trying to maneuver my way out. 3 point turn. anyways, i also get it on occasion on hard turns.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by gc86
Even though the boot isn't broken on a CV axle it can still be bad, I had the same thing happen to me on my CL-S6 and the boots were fine, replaced both CV axles and problem fixed.
Well thats shitty

I hear what your saying fuzzy about the wear and the bad part is that my car only has 43K miles. I hope they give this to me under warranty
Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, u guys have high tolerance. i wouldn't be able to stand a 'popping' sound of any kind.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM

if it was the CV joint shouldn't it do it all the time? Why would it only make the noise after sitting for several hours?

Not that I don't believe you guys because I honestly think thats what it is as well. Ive only had a CV joint go out in one car and that was over 10 years ago, so I remember all the symptoms
Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It definitely sounds like a CV joint. Lowered cars, especially extremely lowered cars, tend to wear out the joints faster since the axles are designed to be as straight as possible when the car is at it's stock height. When it's lowered it means the joint is bent all the time and obviously this is going to mean more movement and more wear.

It might only do it when cold because the tolerances are tightening as the components warm up from friction. It might not be a big enough problem to warrant replacing (they aren't cheap) just yet, especially since you don't put a lot of miles on the car. Acura should be able to tell you but they'll probably have a bias towards changing it/them out since it would mean cash in their pocket. It comes down to how you feel about it. CV joints don't tend fail catastrophically so you aren't risking a lot by continuing to drive on it.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
It might not be a big enough problem to warrant replacing (they aren't cheap) just yet, especially since you don't put a lot of miles on the car. Acura should be able to tell you but they'll probably have a bias towards changing it/them out since it would mean cash in their pocket. It comes down to how you feel about it. CV joints don't tend fail catastrophically so you aren't risking a lot by continuing to drive on it.
I agree that they will probably try to replace it and thats fine if they decide to warranty it. They might because they are a really good dealer. If they don't I will be replacing them myself because I don't pay repair charges
Old 03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Unregistered user

i'm getting mine fixed after paint...
Old 03-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Well I finally dropped the car off last night. Got in contact with the dealer this morning and they are covering an outer CV joint UNDER WARRANTY

So im gonna rockin an 08 TSX till tuesday which is fine by me
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Unregistered user

Originally Posted by spdy0001
Well I finally dropped the car off last night. Got in contact with the dealer this morning and they are covering an outer CV joint UNDER WARRANTY

So im gonna rockin an 08 TSX till tuesday which is fine by me
your car is still under warranty?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
your car is still under warranty?
7yr/75Kmile Acura Extended Warranty