Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 03:46 PM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clicking Noise

Guys. I was sitting in my car last night and I noticed a constant ticking noise. Almost the speed and consistency of a stop watch. I turned the AC off to negate the fan being a possibility. When I step on the gas the sound will dissapear for 10 seconds and then come back. I've also noticed when keeping the gas steadily pressed at a low speed I'll hear it.

Has anyone had this problem, or have an idea of what it may be?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I heard this problem over the winter when it got cold. It made the sound compared to when kids put cards inbetween the spokes of their bicycle wheels. I never found out what it was, but haven't heard it lately. Hopefully it's not too serious, since this was 6 months ago that I heard it. I haven't had any problems so far.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Flap.

um does it sound like popcorn popping? can you tell the general area its comming from?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by sonnyboyacura
Guys. I was sitting in my car last night and I noticed a constant ticking noise. Almost the speed and consistency of a stop watch. I turned the AC off to negate the fan being a possibility. When I step on the gas the sound will dissapear for 10 seconds and then come back. I've also noticed when keeping the gas steadily pressed at a low speed I'll hear it.

Has anyone had this problem, or have an idea of what it may be?
I hear the same shit!! I press the gas gently it gets faster than it goes away.... than i let go....few seconds later i hear it again...i took it to the dealer but too bad it wasnt clicking when i took it up there.....so he couldnt do anything, but it still makes the clicking noise and its been there for a few months.....someone help us find out what it is....
Old 10-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Enjoy the Ride

i thought this was the valves clicking...?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:17 PM
2010 SHAWD

I may be wrong but it sounds like its coming from behind the dash. Just in that general area. It may be somewhere in the engine bay but its in that direction though.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Instructor

sounds like it's time for a valve adjustment. i've seen several posts regarding premature valve adjustments. sounds like you're due.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:35 PM
2010 SHAWD

Is this covered by warranty? I purchased the car from carmax this past Sat. I have their 6 year warranty, and left over Acura warranty from the previous owner. Who should I have fix it?

This Fri. Im dropping it off to have some rubber trim on the door and by the wipers firmly reattached, the shifter lights dont come on when I turn the lights on, and that clicking noise. Would I be better off just taking it to Acura altogher, or just letting carmax do everything, or just the small stuff? I kinda like to take my cars to the dealer just because I know they know how to correctly fix that car in particular.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Take it to Acura. Don't mess around with Car Max if you still have the factory warrenty.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Racer

Is it your HVAC fan? I can hear mine at idle, but can't hear it over the roadnoise when I'm driving. drives me nuts, but the service guy says "normal." Before I took it in, I thought that I had traced it to the front of the engine ... there's just too much noise under the hood when it's opened.

Might be the same? Might not.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
2010 SHAWD

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Take it to Acura. Don't mess around with Car Max if you still have the factory warrenty.
I think I'll just have Car Max fix the peeling rubber peices. I'll make an appointment for Acura asap.

Originally Posted by johnny rad
Is it your HVAC fan? I can hear mine at idle, but can't hear it over the roadnoise when I'm driving. drives me nuts, but the service guy says "normal." Before I took it in, I thought that I had traced it to the front of the engine ... there's just too much noise under the hood when it's opened.

Im hoping its something simple. When I take it to Acura Im going to have them look to see if the transmission needs to be replaced as I read in some articles I searched on the boards. Also I want them to nix that annoying rattle in my sunroof.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:09 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad

I dont hear it when I'm on the road, only when i'm barely hitting the gas sometimes while in slow moving traffic....I'll ask them to fix it when i take it for my 30K mile tune up...
Old 10-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Got a Job!

this might be the same thing but...here's a shot:

I had a problem where under my hood on the passenger side, I would hear a ticking sound when I put the A/C on. As time went on, the sound became unbearable, and I could hear it ALL the time, no matter if the A/C was on or not. I finally got fed up w/ it and brought it to the dealer. It happened to be some pulley over on the left side of the engine. They didn't really go into depth of what it was, but that it was a pulley. Hope this helps
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is a vacuum valve that is part of the air intake .. there is a small valve near the brake booster and steering column in the engine compartment. It regulate vacuum to the air intake. This a common thing .. it will repeatedly open/close causing a ticking noise at idle. THere are other posts on this, including pictures of the valve. I pointed it out to my dealer and he was aware of it. There is no real solution for it . .it is what it is. The dealer relocated the valve to make it less noticable (but it still does it).
Old 10-21-2004, 04:02 PM
I NEED MONEY!

MINE DRIVES ME CRAZY
Old 10-22-2004, 01:48 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Now since someone mention it, my car does has the same ticking noise. I always thought it was the fuel rail making that noise b/c my sister's Volvo has the same sound and the dealer told her that it was normal due to the pulsing of the injectors while fuel is going thru the rail.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:39 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
May need a valve adjustment. Rondogs car sounds like a diesel sometimes.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:12 PM
2010 SHAWD

Originally Posted by DivinDude
it is a vacuum valve that is part of the air intake .. there is a small valve near the brake booster and steering column in the engine compartment. It regulate vacuum to the air intake. This a common thing .. it will repeatedly open/close causing a ticking noise at idle. THere are other posts on this, including pictures of the valve. I pointed it out to my dealer and he was aware of it. There is no real solution for it . .it is what it is. The dealer relocated the valve to make it less noticable (but it still does it).
FYI. The mechanic told me that this the problem. Hopefully this eases the hearts of a few of you.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by DivinDude
Winna!! Actually called the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. It allows any exhaust that gets by the piston rings to be pulled out of the engine. You should be able to find the vacuum line and pinch it and the noise will stop. That ticking means the valve is working.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:52 PM
2010 SHAWD

Originally Posted by ChadT
Winna!! Actually called the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. It allows any exhaust that gets by the piston rings to be pulled out of the engine. You should be able to find the vacuum line and pinch it and the noise will stop. That ticking means the valve is working.
Ironic how a lot of times ticking means something is broken. LOL.