CL type-S versus Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL type-S versus Camaro

Camaro was ahead on the start by couple inches, but then ...

P.S. V8 Camaro that was ...
Old 02-22-2001, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Then what?.....

Was he even trying?

------------------
Lonely Volvo owner seeks FWD car buddies..
Old 02-22-2001, 11:56 PM
Instructor

that was my friend and we wanted to see who's better

I beat him in 1/4 mile

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Just bought it
Old 02-23-2001, 01:46 AM
Nosferatu

You better NOT say it was an LS-1 Camaro though, then i'm calling BS, older models believable. If he is an LS-1 and this is true, he has NO clue how to drive it. sorry, Stock LS-1's run low 13's, more than a second QUICKER than modded CL-S'.

------------------
Andrew S.
2000 Dark Forest Green GTP/GTX
14.413@95.03

My Mod Page

2001 San Marino Red Acura 3.2 CL Type S
* No Mods Yet, though planned *
Old 02-23-2001, 01:49 AM
Instructor

I'm not saying it was LS-1 Camaro. If I did say that - I'd be, indeed, a liar.
That guy does know how to race... maybe he wasn't in the mood?

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Wait! It's not butter!?
Old 02-23-2001, 03:48 AM
Drifting

Well, if it is true then good kill. Always like to hear about domestics losing.

------------------
True Hip-hop junkie
Old 02-23-2001, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Adding to the brag:
0 - 60 mph in 6.33 secs
Is that good or what?

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Wait! It's not butter!?
Old 02-23-2001, 10:15 AM
Advanced

prikid...0-60 in 6.33??? Any mods? Or do you weigh 60 lbs.?
Old 02-23-2001, 12:00 PM
Nosferatu

No prob prikid. Just post more details in the race topics. What year Camaro was it anyway? Just wondering. Alos, you got that 6.6 with a G-Tech right? Those are relatively close on 1/4 times, however, 60 times are usually not accurate due to various problems, including mounting, if the road is straight (any inclines or declines, even very slight, will cause it to give an erroneous error). Anyway, good kill.

SoundSpeed, how can you truly say you like hearing about domestics lose? Recall that our cars are built in Ohio and have a percentage of US made parts. So technically, the CL-S is a domestic (US) car made by an asian company. hehehe....

------------------
Andrew S.
2000 Dark Forest Green GTP/GTX
14.413@95.03

My Mod Page

2001 San Marino Red Acura 3.2 CL Type S
* No Mods Yet, though planned *
Old 02-23-2001, 04:02 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stangsrlame:
prikid...0-60 in 6.33??? Any mods? Or do you weigh 60 lbs.?</font>
ROFL
No mods Just the driving ability.
My record has been increasing every since I bought it:
6.68 -> 6.56 -> 6.33

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Wait! It's not butter!?
Old 02-23-2001, 04:07 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vampyre:
No prob prikid. Just post more details in the race topics. What year Camaro was it anyway?
</font>
I have to ask that guy, but I won't see him till next week.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Just wondering. Alos, you got that 6.6 with a G-Tech right? Those are relatively close on 1/4 times, however, 60 times are usually not accurate due to various problems, including mounting, if the road is straight (any inclines or declines, even very slight, will cause it to give an erroneous error). Anyway, good kill.
</font>
Indeed it was a G-tech. We do have a pretty neat road down here in SF (Great Highway) which is pretty steady and no inclines and declines (noticeable ones).

------------------
'01 CL type-S.
Wait! It's not butter!?
Old 02-26-2001, 12:59 AM
Acura_CL

A Camaro Z28 will kill, and I mean whoop any CL-S... You're dealing with damn near six litres. You can have any header you want, a Z28 will own you. Sorry.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...698&a=11616550
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
Old 02-26-2001, 04:37 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acura_CL:
A Camaro Z28 will kill, and I mean whoop any CL-S... You're dealing with damn near six litres. You can have any header you want, a Z28 will own you. Sorry.

</font>
It all comes down to the driver because from what I've seen it's extremely hard to control wheelspin in them. Was in an M3 this past Saturday and we walked away from a z28 just because he couldn't control his wheelspin. I myself raced one in the Type S, he only had me by a car length. But he took off first (wasn't really sure if he wanted to race until he took off). After that he was spinning and drifiting like crazy, which allowed me to catch up and also give me a heart attack cuz I thought he was gonna hit me. Sure they're powerful but what is power with out control?

Old 02-27-2001, 03:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
hehe i ran about 6.4 with 5( I MEAN 5 PPL) in my car, eventho my car wont fit 5. so i think i can do better if i m only drving by myself
Old 02-27-2001, 02:27 PM
Racer

Not really. I had a type R and raced quite a few Z28's. NONE of them pulled on me, kept up, yes. But could never pull on me. And if the type S is as fast as the type R, like it's supposed to be?

------------------
Why buy a special edition car and not drive it like it was meant to be driven
Old 02-27-2001, 08:31 PM
Acura_CL

Those x28 drivers must have been doofuses. Trust me, that engine is huge. American muscle is hard (but not impossible by any means) to beat off the line.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
Old 03-01-2001, 01:50 AM
Ricky Bobby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel spin kills a Z28. Most people that drive them can not control the power unless they have a new one with traction control. My friend has a 95 Z28 and we have raced and I pull him a car to a car and half every time easy.

I don't know what it is, but I must have a faster CL-S(stock) than most or we just have slow Z28's here in NC and VA.

oonowindoo you the man!! Sound like your CL-S is strong also.

------------------
2001 Type S NO Nav
White/Parchment/spoiler
20%metalized tint all around, 50% metalized tint on winshield, built in K40 front/rear radar, 12" Excursion Sub/amp, Comptech filter/headers

2000 Corvette
2000 Silverado
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500
1997 Mercedes Benz S500
1997 Porsche 911 turbo
1996 Accord EX V6
Old 03-01-2001, 10:02 AM
Acura_CL

Hrm... Interesting. What about a good driver in a z28 with TC? Who would win then?

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:38 PM
Racer

The Type S. I can safely say this because the camaros suck with TC. My friend has a 2000 Camaro SS. When he puts on the TC, it makes such a BIG difference! It actually keeps bogging your foot back. I raced him as well when I had my ITR. Let me tell you what a HUGE difference it is from racing a Z28 to that thing! You want to see Camaro tails, race an SS. I kept up with him until about 45 or so, then he just kept getting further and further away from me. I was happy in all that my 195 hp 4 cyl kept up that good with the 330 hp 8 cyl monster!

------------------
Old 03-01-2001, 11:53 PM
Instructor

I raced several Z28's with the 'Stang (R.I.P.) and saw exactly the same thing. ASR kills their jump off the line, so best launches are without traction control. And the driver better be good, because it's all too easy to end up in a cloud of blue smoke! However, once they hook up? Gone.

Of course, I don't have to worry about that now! Hehehehehehe - maybe a 911 Turbo or fully chipped/tricked out S4 but I don't think there's anything else that can really hang tight Well, Vipers but haven't seen but 2 in Greenville so far.

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!

[This message has been edited by volsfan0911 (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 12:16 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by volsfan0911:
I raced several Z28's with the 'Stang (R.I.P.) and saw exactly the same thing. ASR kills their jump off the line, so best launches are without traction control. And the driver better be good, because it's all too easy to end up in a cloud of blue smoke! However, once they hook up? Gone.

Of course, I don't have to worry about that now! Hehehehehehe - maybe a 911 Turbo or fully chipped/tricked out S4 but I don't think there's anything else that can really hang tight Well, Vipers but haven't seen but 2 in Greenville so far.

</font>
Oh. That's right. You got the Z06 now right? You suck I was going to get that car but there was a pretty long wait and insurance would have really killed me. How do you like it? It handles sweet! (0.98g) Gotta love it! I wanted to ask someone that drives it everyday what they think of it. Although you probrobly really can't open her up yet huh?

------------------
Old 03-02-2001, 03:20 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by badazzS:
Oh. That's right. You got the Z06 now right? You suck I was going to get that car but there was a pretty long wait and insurance would have really killed me. How do you like it? It handles sweet! (0.98g) Gotta love it! I wanted to ask someone that drives it everyday what they think of it. Although you probrobly really can't open her up yet huh?

</font>
I suck? Fuuuuuuuuuck you! Yes, it was a LONG wait but worth every week (all 10 of them). As far as the break in period, I hit it tonight! Trust me, no problem in driving this baby 500 miles! The only problem is getting enough sleep between work and driving right now! See other post - got to punch through 130 mph tonight! Not even breathing hard on her part.

As far as a daily driver? Basically, it's as good (or bad) as any other C5. So far, no issues!

Insurance? Can only speak for me. I'm 36, zero points, went through my current Allstate agent (who also insures my house) and got an annual rate of $1600/year for the car! Obviously, that's really cheap..........

Problems? Well, I'm still brand new. corvetteforum reports only one or two big ones. (1) - oil consumption. apparently a ring problem GM is aware of, especially on the LS6. (2) piston slap - common problem in LS1/LS6 motors. Some folks report a 2nd gear synchro crunch but so far, don't hear anything close to that! Haven't heard any detonation yet either- Bent pushrods are not anything I've read about on Z06's - just the F-bods.

------------------
Old 03-02-2001, 10:59 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by volsfan0911:
I suck? Fuuuuuuuuuck you! Yes, it was a LONG wait but worth every week (all 10 of them). As far as the break in period, I hit it tonight! Trust me, no problem in driving this baby 500 miles! The only problem is getting enough sleep between work and driving right now! See other post - got to punch through 130 mph tonight! Not even breathing hard on her part.

As far as a daily driver? Basically, it's as good (or bad) as any other C5. So far, no issues!

Insurance? Can only speak for me. I'm 36, zero points, went through my current Allstate agent (who also insures my house) and got an annual rate of $1600/year for the car! Obviously, that's really cheap..........

Problems? Well, I'm still brand new. corvetteforum reports only one or two big ones. (1) - oil consumption. apparently a ring problem GM is aware of, especially on the LS6. (2) piston slap - common problem in LS1/LS6 motors. Some folks report a 2nd gear synchro crunch but so far, don't hear anything close to that! Haven't heard any detonation yet either- Bent pushrods are not anything I've read about on Z06's - just the F-bods.

</font>
Yes. That's right. My friend with the SS has the LS1. He was driving along side of me when his car just stalled and he drifted all the way across 3 lanes and almost hit the median. I guess that it was good that he wasn't going 135 like he was 20 mins before this happened! He was only doing about 45, and it's a good thing otherwise he would have definately hit the wall! He tok it back to Chevy and they found... that's right, bent pushrods. The engine also recorded over 500 misfires before it stalled. I don't think that the thing still runs right, but he loves it. The best was when we raced a ZR1... Oh look, corvette tails. He didn't do too bad though, but the Z06 on the other hand... I am the kind of guy where, ok I may get mad if I lose, but if you have a very noteable car, I don't care! For instance, I am the guy that will try to race a Z06 just to see how fast he blows my door off! Me and my friend with a Cavalier Z24 tried to race a Viper GTS. LOL. Well, needless to say I heard a wining noise and then nothing was next to, or in front of us anymore! We also watched a Lamborghini Diablo take off along side of us too. It was some old dude and he didn't want to, but we kept telling him to take off. That was the damn fastest car I have ever seen take off! I really want to see a Z06 take off, let alone drive in 1! Feel the 0-60 in 3.9 has gotta be a rush, if your not looking at the ceiling the whole time. But you have to tell me tonight if it just takes off, or if you spin a lot like the Camaro's. I am also sure that you will have no problem chirping the tires over 100 mph BTW, I am only 21, and I live in the armpit of NJ, so insurance is way too high. 1600!!!!! DAMN... I was going to pay 6800! Well let us know how it goes tonight...

------------------
Old 03-02-2001, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Haven't really experimented with lauching techniques yet - in fact, the only burnout so far was accidental (was determined not to stall it on a hill, so dropped the clutch at 2500 rpm).

Haven't been to Jersey personally, but I'm assured that by many that it does indeed suck And has astronomical insurance rates .

Gotta admit I'm envious of 20 something year olds that can afford toys. Man, at that age, I was doing good to afford gas AND beer simultaneously . But, kind of glad it took this long because at 21, I would have killed myself in this beast already. Sorry - that was a geezer comment wasn't it! . Damn...........

------------------
Old 03-02-2001, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

come to think of it you are right, at 19-21 i could not even dream of owning the cars i do. every day was spent scheming to buy grass and gas.
older geezer thoughts.
woodstock was great though.(1969)

------------------
01 BLK/BLK CL-S SPOILER
98 INFINITI I30T
99 MAXIMA SE
Old 03-02-2001, 02:00 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BSK181:

woodstock was great though.(1969)

</font>

LMAO! My headhunter was actually at Woodstock too. When you ask her about what it was like, her answer is "damned if I know - don't remember that whole month!" I'm not quite that senior - born in '64. Still dreading 40 coming up here in a few years though .

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 02:50 PM
Race Director

great story!

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 03-12-2001, 12:33 AM
Ricky Bobby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
volsfan0911,
why do you hate to hear of 20-21 year olds being able to have cars like this at that age. Just to let you know, I am 21 almost 22, and I have a few high end toys. Some are from my money and some were gifts.

------------------
2001 Type S NO Nav
White/Parchment/spoiler
20%metalized tint all around, 50% metalized tint on winshield, built in K40 front/rear radar, 12" Excursion Sub/amp, Comptech filter/headers

2000 Corvette
2000 Silverado
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500
1997 Mercedes Benz S500
1997 Porsche 911 turbo
1996 Accord EX V6
Old 03-12-2001, 04:29 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rp_carbiz:
volsfan0911,
why do you hate to hear of 20-21 year olds being able to have cars like this at that age. Just to let you know, I am 21 almost 22, and I have a few high end toys. Some are from my money and some were gifts.

</font>
Because I'm jealous Sorry to be so base and petty, but that's my problem! Don't take it personally - it's a free country and if you've got some money at a young age, enjoy it!

------------------
Old 03-12-2001, 04:55 PM
Racer

So, volsfan. How was the car when you opened her up?! You never said what happend that night! Was it everything you expected?

------------------