cl supercharger gurus

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl supercharger gurus

Hey everyone,
I have decided to keep my CL-S and buy a condo, I was planning on just getting a new car, but decided to invest in realestate instead. Anyway, I have been looking over the comptech supercharger quite a bit, and wanted to buy and install next summer. I had a few questions for the guys that have em already. I have previously done a lot of turbo installs and tunes for Nissans, but after I sold mine, I haven't anymore. I bought my Acura after I sold my Nissan and now am wanting boost again. First off, I have never dealt with SC, just turbo's so I'm wondering first what kind of RPM range is this thing going to be active in. It appears that they come ready to run @ 5 psi, but has anyone gone higher than this. Do they have a bypass valve, like a wastegate on a turbo so if you don't want to drive around boosting it won't. The only reason I ask this is for gas mileage. If not what kind of gas mileage difference are you guys seeing? The install directions I got from comptech don't say a whole lot about the link up to the ECU. How difficult is that, or are you guys running a piggy back system. If so which one? I think that's it for now, I'm sure I'll have more once I get some responses.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 AM
SOLD

Well, I believe standard boost for the CT SC is 3.5-5psi (somewhere in there). The kit comes with an electronic signal modifier to basically hide boost from the ecu. You can/people have run high boost pulleys with 6-8 psi. Gas mileage I do not know. The most common piggyback used by FI guys is Greddy Emanage. Now the comptech website is acting up so I cannot tell you more.....
Old 07-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Drinking Beer In

Std Boost is 3.5 lbs, and doesn't require any kind of piggyback ECU - All tuning is done via the ESM and the fuel pressure regulator. ESM hookup is a snap- tap into 4 wires, turn the screw to dial in the proper voltage.

Hi Boost (5 psi) pulley takes a little more futzing around, and emanage needed to get the most out of that set up, although still not too bad.

Some have made higher boost pulleys (7+ psi), but then you will def. need e-manage, aftercooler, extra injector, etc. etc.

The Eaton blower has an internal bypass valve (vacuum operated) so that there is little boost during low engine speeds.

My gas mileage dropped significantly after the install, but I also did some dyno runs and lots of stomping the gas because it feels so cool. I'm trying to drive more sensibly on my current tankful to try and get a better feel for the mileage.

The CT kit is well thought out and fairly straightforward. Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

Does the CT kit come with everything, but the battery, guages, and pods. According to the website, and previous installs, i'm assuming that's everything. BTW if I was going to run higher pressure, what injectors are people going with, and how is the engine handling everything.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Drinking Beer In

Search under threads started by "Scalbert"... Also, "Allmotor2000"
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
also look under threads by smitty and mrsteve, neither of them have superchargers anymore (smitty no longer has his CL) but they both know a lot about these cars, the toys for them, and their capabilities.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Yeah, make sure to read their stuff. Smitty's car could burn off in all 6 gears.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The SC gives you power gains all across the board. Take a look at the dyno on Comptech's site and you'll see broad gains all the way from the bottom. Very usable power and linear. I'm running the standard pulley and my max boost is 4lbs.

Mileage is pretty close to stock if you drive it reasonably. Mileage can drop significanly if you get into sustained boost. On the open road, I can still get 28mpg.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 AM
10th Gear

Comptech says they recommend switching to redline tranny fluid, and buying the tranny cooler. Have any of you guys switched to redline fluid?