Cl-S vs 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 03:54 PM
Slice and dice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cl-S vs 350Z

I'm sure this topic has been discussed a billion times before, but I would like to hear some input from the various members.

I had been fairly certain that I would purchase a 2003 CL-S 6MT but I'm being inexorably drawn to the 350Z. I saw it at the NY Auto Show and in real life, it's a beautiful car. In terms of handling and performance, I think it'll beat a stock CL-S hands down and most likely have no difficulty with even a heavily modded one. The price difference isn't really that much. I know you give up certain things, namely, backseats, sunroof and Honda quality, but I keep having this bothersome feeling that the CL reminds me way too much of my mother's TL. Not that thats entirely a bad thing, but my mom's TL is almost 3 years old.

Some would say that these two cars aren't directly comparable, as one is more a true sports car, while another is more a luxury sports coupe. I agree that the competition for a CL is more along the lines of a 330 or A4 while the Z's competition is more a TT, Boxster or RX-8, but they are within the same price range and appeal to the same kind of buyers.

Anyways, let the discussion, or flaming, begin.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Advanced

If I were you, I would go with the Z or the G35coupe. The CL-S is dated and should be redone for the 2004 model, if it isn't dropped completely. Infiniti has a better reliability record than Acura or Honda. And by the way Nismo is starting the fall.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by LuxSport
If I were you, I would go with the Z or the G35coupe. The CL-S is dated and should be redone for the 2004 model, if it isn't dropped completely. Infiniti has a better reliability record than Acura or Honda. And by the way Nismo is starting the fall.
I agree. If you want a "sports car," go with the 350Z. If you want a "luxury coupe," go with the G35. G35 is nicer, but performance wise will be blown outta the water against the 350Z.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:55 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

go for the G35. backseats are a good thing. and the name is better, plus i would think the G35 would have more HP than the Z because the G35 sedan is basically an altima but has 20 more HP so wouldnt that be sweet if the coupe did the same thing? if you have the money, go for the upgrade. but i would say CLS even tho its is a great car and i love it, i would say it has nothing on the 350Z let alone the G35 coupe.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Infinity CRAP name is better than Acura ??? what are you smoking ?
Old 04-28-2002, 05:07 PM

You forgot to add S2000 to the Z competitors.

Personally, and for the $, I'd take the S2000 hands down over the Z.

Granted, its a 4 cylinder, there are many mods available, and according to the guys over at S2ki.com, someone ran a 13.8 BONE STOCK.

What kindof 1/4 miles times is the new Z capable of?
Old 04-28-2002, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by hypno999
Comments from idiots like you make Acura look bad. First of all, it is spelled Infiniti not Infinity. Nobody said Infiniti was better than Acura. People have stated that the G35 and Z are better than the CL-S and that Infiniti is more reliable than Acura.

Please show me where someone said Infiniti was better than Acura.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:17 PM
__

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
go for the G35. backseats are a good thing. and the name is better...
Well LuxSport, I don't really want to be involved in this fight but italianstallion said it (look above). maybe YOU should look a little closer before you snap! Also, IMO Acura quality is better than Infiniti's (don't get me wrong, i do love both cars) since Hondas have been know for better reliability than Nissan's have. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-28-2002, 05:21 PM

Comments from idiots like you make Acura look bad. First of all, it is spelled Infiniti not Infinity. Nobody said Infiniti was better than Acura. People have stated that the G35 and Z are better than the CL-S and that Infiniti is more reliable than Acura.

Please show me where someone said Infiniti was better than Acura.

Infiniti has gotten better in the past couple of years, with the unveiling of the new Q45, a true competitor to the LS430, and an underrated sedan in itself. Thats my favorite Infiniti.

AS far as quality goes, I believe its about even. Infiniti, in my opinion, lack the same feel that Acura's have. And Acura lacks the same feel that BMW's have.

Also, another key point is resale value, Honda-Acura, Toyota-Lexus, the main competitors to Nissan-Infiniti, have a much stronger resale value, thus making it more of a value.

Old 04-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
hye guys, dont let Luxsport get to you. Seems like all he does is try to start fights. SO let him say whatever he wants. Hes just a troll. Hes been annoying everyone on the TL site. Hes just a cocky dick with a boring RL that he didnt pay for and he thinks he knows all.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=39274
Old 04-28-2002, 05:40 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

here we go.....
Old 04-28-2002, 05:49 PM
Slice and dice

I sat in an S2000 at the NY Auto Show also. It fits like a glove, a very tight glove. When I closed the door, my elbow rubbed right against it and my right elbow had nowhere to go but against the left elbow of the stranger in the passenger seat. The footwell is tiny, I like flexing my left leg against the door on long drives, and there's no way I could do that in the S2K. Finally, there's this structural brace which runs cross-wise on the footwell that goes right where you feet should go when you try to get (crawl) in and out. And yes, I have a normal sized body.

Of course, I couldn't help but grin while sitting in the thing as I thought about myself cruising down a winding road with the top down and the engine revving at motorcycle-level RPMs.

In the end, an amazing car, but I wouldn't want one as my only car. It's a no compromise sports car, I don't think I could drive it 365 days a year.

Oh, I'm not too worried about resale value. If it's a good enough car, I'll drive it too it's death, or at least to a point where resale value is meaningless.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Comparing the CLS with the Z350 does not make as much sense as if you would compare the CLS with the G35 Coupe coming out this fall. Infiniti and Acura are direct competitors obvioulsy.

The only problem I have with the G35C is its interior. I think our interior is better than "theirs". Otherwise, we have no way of knowing how the car will drive yet. But judging from C&D and the test they did with the Sedan G35, I can tell you that the G35 will probably be a better choice. The G35 Sedan did 0-60mph in 6.2 seconds with the auto tranny. So the G35C with the manual will for sure be in the 5s. Like I am sure the Z350 will.

But apart from acceleration, the G35 sedan got a lot of kudos in other departments like in breaking performance which was excellent (I think it out-broke everyone, or maybe all but one).
Old 04-28-2002, 06:40 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

alls i meant was that as far as luxury goes i believe that infinti is a better brand than acura. not in the past but we dont live in the past, the new Q45 is amazing, the new I35 is great IMO but could use a few more horses, the G35 coupe and sedan are bad ass. what has acura done to make their name better? NOTHING. acura doesnt even have anything to compete to the Q45, we seem to agree the G coupe is better than the CLS, the G sedan is comprabale to the TLS so is the I35. so without any knowledge of reliability (cause i think Nissan Toyota and Honda all make pretty damn good cars) or resale (cause it all sucks anyway) that is how i came to that conclusion. i love the acura i just think infinti has the upper hand at this point. no i aint smokin anything. :sqntfawk: and as far as the name goes, most chicks dont know the difference anyway, all they see is leather and the money that went into it. unless you wanna go pick up guys, hey thats your thing. whatever makes you happy.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Instructor

One word InfiniCrap !!!
Old 04-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Crazy AcurA
hye guys, dont let Luxsport get to you. Seems like all he does is try to start fights. SO let him say whatever he wants. Hes just a troll. Hes been annoying everyone on the TL site. Hes just a cocky dick with a boring RL that he didnt pay for and he thinks he knows all.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=39274
I may behind the times, but what does troll mean?? I get called that alot by people that I prove wrong. They need to get a new word. I also get the phrase "U got owned" or "I own you" what does that mean? I am missing the meaning of the verb own and the meaning of the adjective troll.

Sombody explain.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:36 PM
Slice and dice

Actually, troll is a noun.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Contagious

Originally posted by hypno999
Please, let's not get into reliability issues. Remember, our cars are the one's with tranny problems.

How many topics on this board are directly related to problems with our cars?

Nuff said.......
Old 04-28-2002, 11:29 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may behind the times, but what does troll mean?? I get called that alot by people that I prove wrong. They need to get a new word. I also get the phrase "U got owned" or "I own you" what does that mean? I am missing the meaning of the verb own and the meaning of the adjective troll.

Som
body explain.

troll is someone like you who goes to different forums and has nothing good to say.........go back to freshalloy where you came from.........ive seen you on both cl and tl sites ripping acura........do everybody a favor and sell your rl "moms" gave you...you give acura owners a bad name..............nobody on either th tl or cl site want to hear from you so take a hike.....thank you