CL-S, TL-S, A6 2.7T, oh my! Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL-S, TL-S, A6 2.7T, oh my! Thoughts?

Ok, I finally have to bite the bullet and get a new car. I realized the plates on my Eclipse Spyder GS-T expire next month and I'm too cheap to renew them, just to get rid of the car 2 months later (in Cali, the plates stay with the car unless they're custom). I'd planned to wait until the end of the summer, but July/August is close enough.

I've been considering the CL-S/TL-S (though leaning TL-S as I could use the extra doors). I was planning to wait until closer to the end of the model year, but Audi just started some great lease package deals for 2001 models $399/month for the A6 2.8 and $499/month for the 2.7T Quattro. (With decent equipment, it's be closer to $599/month.) I've seen around $460 lease prices on CL-S with minimal drive off. I briefly considered a 3-series, but BMW leases are too pricey, at lease on the west side of LA. I'm looking for a 36 month or 39 month lease. Anyone have any thoughts?

I hope to get this done in the next couple weeks, so anyone that has recent lease numbers on a CL-S or TL-S, I'd love to see em.

I love Acura, but am only slightly biased to Audi because my other car (that I'm keeping) is an A4 2.8 Quattro. My fiance won't let me get rid of it. She loves the car. ;-)

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:27 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

If you were in the Northeast, I would say Audi all the way but in LA? For what? Quattro for smog? I know how rainy and slick it gets out there cuz I lived there for 23 years but no need for quattro. The 2.7T is known to have a few issues with niggling little problems. Of course so is the CL-S. The TL-S is a hoot and if it had been out when I bought mine a year ago, I would probably be in it. Go forth and squander thy money!
Old 07-09-2001, 11:33 PM
Instructor

The lease on my TL-S (non nav) is $414 per month 0 out of pocket at the time of signing. This is for a 48 month 15,000 miles per year.
Hope this helps
Old 07-10-2001, 12:10 AM
Racer

the 2.7t has alot of engine problems...i would stay away from that. Audi interiors are nice....but i'd save alot of cash and go for the TL-S.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:24 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by z28typeSWRXkid:
<STRONG>the 2.7t has alot of engine problems...i would stay away from that. Audi interiors are nice....but i'd save alot of cash and go for the TL-S.</STRONG>
I haven't been a member of the Audi community for long, but I have yet to come across first-hand reports of these widespread engine problems with the 2.7T; are you familiar with them kastegir?

IMO, if you are leasing it, you should be able to get any of these cars in relative confidence that you won't be stranded anywhere. Also, as you probably know quite well, the scheduled maintenance for the Audi is paid for during the warranty period.

I have not been in an A6 of any type, but--as a previous owner--I can vouch for the Type S siblings as very nice machines. That said, if my recent vehicle change is any indication, switching between Audi and Acura makes for some strange awakenings . Good luck.
Old 07-10-2001, 03:42 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by e harmon:
<STRONG>
I have not been in an A6 of any type, but--as a previous owner--I can vouch for the Type S siblings as very nice machines. That said, if my recent vehicle change is any indication, switching between Audi and Acura makes for some strange awakenings . Good luck.</STRONG>
Having the free scheduled mainetenance has been nice, I must admit. As far as why oneneeds quattro in LA, well it just has to do with handling. The quattro system makes for an incredibly sure-footed driving experience. That said, everything I've read about the acura drivetrain in the Type S says that it's absolutely first rate.

As far as reliability on the 2.7T motor, Ive hear of a few isolated incidents on 1999 and 2000 models. They were on S4s with that motor. My friend has an 2001 S4 and has no problems. Now that Audi is using that motor in more models (S4, A6, All-Road), I'm more inclined to think they have the bugs worked out. Also several of the problems I've read about were also the result of overboosting the turbo, either hacking it or "chipping" it. I'm not inclined to do much in the way of mods if I lease...

I'd be curious to hear your comments about going from the CL-S to the Audi. What were your "strange awakenings"?

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: kastegir ]
Old 07-11-2001, 01:48 AM
Advanced

You've got e-mail. Good luck on your decision.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:21 AM
Advanced

I've got a 99.5 A4 2.8 and I love it! My wife and I got the CL Type S for a commuter car (I know that sounds crazy...we were looking at Civics and Jettas and somehow ended up test driving a CL..) I really like both the Audi and the Acura. The Acura is faster, but nothing beats an Ecru interior in a Santorian Blue Audi!
Old 07-12-2001, 01:21 AM
Advanced

I've got a 99.5 A4 2.8 and I love it! My wife and I got the CL Type S for a commuter car (I know that sounds crazy...we were looking at Civics and Jettas and somehow ended up test driving a CL..) I really like both the Audi and the Acura. The Acura is faster, but nothing beats an Ecru interior in a Santorian Blue Audi!
Old 07-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Well, I just wanted to post a follow-up. After 3 months of debating, driving and dealing, I'm picking up my new car this evening. I leased a 2001 A6 2.7T with sports package, premium lux package, Bose, and a few other options. All told, I was able to get it down to a bit more then I was being quoted for a TL-S. The Acura dealers just weren't dealing, and the Audi guys were giving me every loyalty bonus available (my other car is an A4). They were also more flexible on taking my Eclipse Spyder on trade, so it was clearly the best deal on the table.

I'll still be around, and once it's broken in, I'll be happy to go for a *friendly* runs with anyone. :-)

No hard feeling, I'm still a big Acura fan, just not an Acura driver at the moment.

Old 07-18-2001, 03:13 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Originally posted by kastegir:
<STRONG>Well, I just wanted to post a follow-up. After 3 months of debating, driving and dealing, I'm picking up my new car this evening. I leased a 2001 A6 2.7T with sports package, premium lux package, Bose, and a few other options. All told, I was able to get it down to a bit more then I was being quoted for a TL-S. The Acura dealers just weren't dealing, and the Audi guys were giving me every loyalty bonus available (my other car is an A4). They were also more flexible on taking my Eclipse Spyder on trade, so it was clearly the best deal on the table.

I'll still be around, and once it's broken in, I'll be happy to go for a *friendly* runs with anyone. :-)

No hard feeling, I'm still a big Acura fan, just not an Acura driver at the moment.

</STRONG>

Very nice. Congrats! We should go through the Angeles Crest again. I'll meet up with you to go for a run. I've got sways now, so I'll handle better than before through the twisties.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:19 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My friend just got a Black Audi 2.7T about three weeks ago, it is a kick ass car! It handles better than the CL-S, but was slower off the line than the CL-S, I beat him easily to 60. Good luck with your car, I'm sure you will love it!
Old 07-18-2001, 09:12 PM
Advanced

<STRONG>Well, I just wanted to post a follow-up. After 3 months of debating, driving and dealing, I'm picking up my new car this evening. I leased a 2001 A6 2.7T with sports package, premium lux package, Bose, and a few other options.

<snip>

</STRONG>

Sweet. Congrats, man.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:42 PM
ayu
Cruisin'

<STRONG>Well, I just wanted to post a follow-up. After 3 months of debating, driving and dealing, I'm picking up my new car this evening. I leased a 2001 A6 2.7T with sports package, premium lux package, Bose, and a few other options. All told, I was able to get it down to a bit more then I was being quoted for a TL-S. The Acura dealers just weren't dealing, and the Audi guys were giving me every loyalty bonus available (my other car is an A4). They were also more flexible on taking my Eclipse Spyder on trade, so it was clearly the best deal on the table.

</STRONG>
Congrats on your new car! I'm also thinking about getting a A6 2.7T and pass on my TL to my brother. Can you please let me know how much you pay for it? I think value pre dollar, no car on the market can touch the TL and TL-S...but I'm still looking for little more power. 2.7T + chip + downpipe + exhaust + twin K04 + intake= 400HP! yet yet yet.
Old 07-19-2001, 03:27 AM
Instructor

I'm up for some runs once I break things in a bit. I just picked it up and man is it better than my old Eclipse Spyder! A hell of a lot more power and smooth as silk!

MSRP was $46350 I got it down to $43199 (about $1500 over invoice), and got them to throw some stuff in (paint protection, interior protection, etc). The real key was the lease program that's going on now. It's no deposit, no acquisition fee and the money factor is great. 0.00122 works out to 2.9%. The residual is 55% after 39 months.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:29 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally here's how i'd rank the choices
a tie for #1 and #2 with the CL-S and TL-S
cause there on the same frame and same motor just one a two door and the TL-S is a 4-door
and last the Audi. for being a German car i think it's kinda of crappy looking. If you want a true German car concider a Mercedes or BMW. but far as good workmanship and fair price it's hard to beat the Acura(either one)