CL-S is no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 12:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A RUSTANG? WHAT? Ihsn't that like trading in a vette for a camaro SS?
Old 08-01-2001, 03:43 AM
Ace rider

All I can say is, damn you guys are cold! I was laughing at all your responses cuz they are pretty damn funny, exactly what I was thinking too though. I see way more mustangs than CL's and I've been in a rental convertible and I could never purchase one. Weird that he'd post that, I wonder if Phin is right and it's a hoax? Phin, what's a mullet again?
Old 08-01-2001, 04:01 AM
I love my CL-S

Mustang are everywhere...and they are cheap..the car's value is goin to drop like shit very fast....oh well..it's ur decision
Old 08-01-2001, 04:18 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I know that the CL-S and Accord are based off of the same platform, but if someone mistakes one for the other then they don't know anything about cars. Especially from the rear I don't think the cars look similar at all. I wouldn't mind having a mustang to play around in, but only if it was my second car.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I read that Mustangs are the number one selling coupe (?) With all that demand, I'd think resale values would hold up pretty well. And don't even talk about the availability of aftermarket parts! The market is so flooded that prices are incredibly cheap. Yeah, I like Mustangs but as kuwolde said, only as my second car!
Old 08-01-2001, 04:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Dacat:
<STRONG>what's a mullet again?</STRONG>
Go to the "mullet hunts" link at this site and all will be explained: http://www.mulletsgalore.com

The site used to be the absolute funniest on the net but I don't know what's happened to it recently.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:58 AM
Unemployed BUM

Originally posted by tinman:
<STRONG>I read that Mustangs are the number one selling coupe (?) With all that demand, I'd think resale values would hold up pretty well. And don't even talk about the availability of aftermarket parts! The market is so flooded that prices are incredibly cheap. Yeah, I like Mustangs but as kuwolde said, only as my second car!</STRONG>
The Kelley Blue Book (KBB) of a 98 Mustang GT is $15380 with an original price of $19950, for a loss of 22.9%. A 1998 Acura CL 3.0 sold for approx $25300, and the current KBB is approx $18770, for a loss of 25.8% off the original price. What the hell? I thought Acura's held their value?
Old 08-01-2001, 05:04 AM
Banned

Check it again when the warranty runs out on the 'stang.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:06 AM
10th Gear

Gee, most of you guys are pretty rough. Well I wasn't asking for anyones approval, just posting since we all share personal experiences.

But anyway, I know all the pros and cons of the Stang before I bought it. It all about personal prefernece. I dont give a damn about people looking at me. What I wrote were my personal feelings. Over time, the cl just didnt appeal to me any more. I did all the research before I bought and the longer it was in it, the more I didnt want it anymore. I drove my legend more than the cl. Everybody eles's comments about what the car looked like were just their opinions. Nor did I post to thrash the CL-S. Just my personal experience once again. The cl is not the end all be all and neither is the Stang. They are all just cars in the end. If I get tired of it, then I'll get rid of it.

In terms of quality and reliability, if it has problems then i'll take it to the dealer and get it fixed. Thats what they are for. No car is perfect. My 98 cl 3.0 purchased brand new, was a lemon. From day one, till I got rid of it 60k miles later, there were quality problems. So bad that legal action had to be taken. So it doesn't matter american or foreign. Ford -vs- honda.
And you can get bad service at any dealer ship as many have posted here before.

As for the people who think this is fake, so be it. I wont respond to the other stupid responses either.

As for looks, you really cant tell the difference between a regular cl and a type s. Especially the average person. Once again the Stang aint the end all be all but at least its distinctive. Yea there are similariries between the v6 and v8 models but you can surely tell the difference between the two.

I wanted somthing fun and the cl just wasn't it. Also been there done that with the 98 cl. I can always get another, if I so desire. But i dont see it. Even if and when I do, it will be a BMW. In the mean time, I am enjoying the Stang, and thats what this is all about.

Peace
Old 08-01-2001, 05:17 AM
Unemployed BUM

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: friendlydacat ]
Old 08-01-2001, 06:46 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by friendlydacat:
<STRONG>

The Kelley Blue Book (KBB) of a 98 Mustang GT is $15380 with an original price of $19950, for a loss of 22.9%. A 1998 Acura CL 3.0 sold for approx $25300, and the current KBB is approx $18770, for a loss of 25.8% off the original price. What the hell? I thought Acura's held their value?</STRONG>
The last generation didn't hold their value well, largely due to slow sales. The used car values are tied to how well the car sells in the used market (demand) and that's tied to how well the car sold new. If no one buys a car new, who's going to rush out to buy a used one? As a rule (with many exceptions) jJapanese coupe models that are based on sedans (CL, camry solara, etc.) tend to lose more value than their sedan counterparts because sedans have a broader audience. Not that they're not great cars, they just have a narrower following, so less demand in the used market. Yet another reason to lease. If you really like it after 3 years, you can buy it out. If not, turn it in and get something else. Let Honda Motors try to sell it.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by OLSKOOLAC88:
<STRONG>I wanted somthing fun and the cl just wasn't it.</STRONG>
Hey man, more power to ya!! I can actually empathize with you to certain degree. I thought I would grow accustom the automatic but I really do miss the manual on occasion (and no, I won't be trading-in for an '02 6-speed). As far as the quality of Mustang's, I've mentioned before that I've put all 182k hard miles on my 5.0 and it's been a rock-solid, fun car. That's why I've kept it for so fricken long.

It's interesting to see the huge difference in people's reactions when driving the cars. The CL-S pretty much blends in with most of the other cars on the road with not much response (at least in a negative manner) from other drivers. I can merge into traffic with no problems in the Acura. When I drive the Mustang though, people are constantly cutting me off, pulling up next to me trying to race, revving their engines and it's always more challenging to merge into traffic. I think it's all hilarious since it is purely people's seemingly negative connotations regarding Mustangs. It's a very similar situation to the difference in people's perceptions/reactions when I'm dressed in a suit in public compared to my preferred shorts and t-shirts. People respond differently to you just based on perception. Some of the negative connotations and feelings regarding the Mustang are showing in a couple posts above. The bottom line is that the Mustang and the CL are both just cars (as you said) and you’ve gotta drive what makes *you* happy. Obviously, you've found your nirvana in your new choice for the time being... Good luck with it and don't look back!
Old 08-01-2001, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey, someone has to buy the UAW built trash.
BTW the HONDA/ACURA plant is NON UAW by employee choice...
I am sure you will know your service advisor on a first name basis. He will also know your spouse , Mom and friends when they have to pick you up at the dealer on a regular basis.
You don't list your age, my guess is < 25, as you grow older you will learn to appreciate the finer things in life.....
PS Dont forget to get a dash cover to prevent the dash from cracking in the UV sunlight. Black undercoating would be a nice addition-more pleasing to the eyes....
Old 08-01-2001, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Also take a look a SIDVISCIOUS pics on topic SOCAL meet. There is a pic of a nice mod (the only mod)to make your stang MORE UNIQUE
Old 08-01-2001, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Good luck with your new Ford.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:29 AM
Banned

I can't get enough of this.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:44 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

As I used to say to the two-strokers before the gate dropped, SIEZE YA.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Holy crap Scorpius... that's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while (since the "friends don't let friends buy Altezza's"..... that's some good stuff
Old 08-01-2001, 02:04 PM
Masshole

Later...what a terrible choice you made. I'd rather die in a fire than drive a Ford.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:23 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Sounds as though you bought your rustang for others to approve. Hmmm, too bad, just like personalities, it's all about what you like, who cares what others think. Mustangs are far more common than a CL/CL-S, I guess you just like to conform to everyone else.

Have fun with your new boat.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Good for you! Each to his own.
I got to drive my buddy's 2000 GT with same
mods as cobra which turns 4.5
Talk about a fast car. When I see people talking about 6.4 or even 5.7 I think slow.
null4.5, now that is what I call fast!

Have fun!