the CL-S got 4th out of 4 on Edmunds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
the CL-S got 4th out of 4 on Edmunds...

There's a luxury coupe comparison on edmunds' site, the cl-s got 4th behind the c70, clk430 (yes, 430), and guess who got first?

it's bullshit man, it's bullshit.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:00 AM
Who's Your Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300?

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 05-18-2001, 12:03 AM
Pro

BMW ?

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 05-18-2001, 12:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
is300?! is someone drinking?!?...luxury COUPE comparison!

i was particularly amused by some of the 2nd opinions, especially liz kim's.

something saying that if the price was the same across the board, no one would choose the cl-s over the others.

if the price was the same across the board, then wouldn't the other cars have the same negative points that they applied to the cl-s that make it cheaper?
Old 05-18-2001, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrdeeno:
There's a luxury coupe comparison on edmunds' site, the cl-s got 4th behind the c70, clk430 (yes, 430), and guess who got first?

it's bullshit man, it's bullshit.
</font>
LOL..... $50 says it's because half of us ripped Liz Kim a new one for her pathetic reviews. She needs to quit and go work at QVC. They've gotten plenty of flack from us. I'm not surprised in the LEAST!!

I mean... behind the BMW and Merc I can understand... but the C70?? Puh-leez. It's more expensive, less powerful, has torque steer out the ass and handles like a Deville.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:20 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Man fuck Edmunds! This was a stupid ass comparison anyway. They compare a clk430, why not the clk320. Then to top it off, they have two 5 sp manuals in the comparison. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 05-18-2001, 12:22 AM
Team Owner

Who gives a SHIT…….it’s Edmunds.
They’re not exactly known for their reliable reviews.

Shawn S

------------------
Make me an offer….It’s FOR SALE when the 6-Speed MANUAL comes out !!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 05-18-2001, 12:26 AM
Advanced

(quote)
In the hardware department, the Type S packs a 260-horsepower VTEC V6 under the hood, making it one of the most powerful six-cylinder engines available anywhere (other than Acura's own NSX). The Type S would have easily taken the top spot in the horsepower category were it not for a scheduling snafu that lumped a hulking Mercedes V8 into the test.

(end quote)

Quick! Someone write to them and straighten them out... that 3.2L making 260hp is nothing special.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S, Comptech Springs, M-6 and other superwhite bulbs here and there
Old 05-18-2001, 12:39 AM
ACME sucks!

WTF....

"The very un-Acura-like roar of the engine was a little much for a few of our drivers, but they admitted to being a little more surprised than annoyed."

"With black leather seats, black wood trim, and black plastic dash panels, the Acura isn't the most uplifting place to spend an afternoon. Switchgear borrowed from less expensive Honda cousins didn't exactly help convey an upscale image, and more than one editor suggested that it was obvious where the cost cutting had taken place."

"The interior is functional and comfortable, but lacks the aura of upscale luxury. Driving one is always relaxing and reassuring, but never unexpectedly dynamic."

"Luxury coupe buyers be warned, the Type S rides, and, under duress, shifts, harshly."

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...6/page004.html

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-18-2001, 03:37 AM
Advanced

Ya know, I keep posting the same thing. I tested the crap out of all these cars. I had no budget to speak of. I was getting rid of GS400 company cars. My first choice, 330i, I bought one. My second choice, CLS, I bought one. C70, very clumsy, heavy, slow, expensive. CLK430, really nice, but not much fun and expensive. IS300 - junk. I have to admit that the pres just won't take the CLS for bing as good as it is.

------------------
CLS Blk/Blk, Wife ripping off
Old 05-18-2001, 10:06 AM
Banned

Granted it wasn't the most flatering review, but think of all the cars that didn't even make the cut for the review! And by the way my CLS's brakes have the very same vibration problem. I've taken it back to the dealer twice and I was told the same thing as the reviewers. The brakes are within tolerance. Well . . ... maybe so, but they still vibrate!
Old 05-18-2001, 10:23 AM
Banned

It was number four of the best of the best. It doesn't mean its the worst car by their point of view. Also, Some show on Speedivision did their one year followup segment on the CL-S and said it was good...
Does the Lincoln LS compete with the CL? Its like getting fourth out of 20 that didn't even place.
Were any domestic brand cars even reviewed?

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
http://www.farscape.com
http://www.amren.com
Old 05-18-2001, 10:55 AM
Race Director

edumunds stucks

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs
Old 05-18-2001, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

I like the competition they put us up against

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 05-18-2001, 11:30 AM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by both:
Ya know, I keep posting the same thing. I tested the crap out of all these cars. I had no budget to speak of. I was getting rid of GS400 company cars. My first choice, 330i, I bought one. My second choice, CLS, I bought one. C70, very clumsy, heavy, slow, expensive. CLK430, really nice, but not much fun and expensive. IS300 - junk. I have to admit that the pres just won't take the CLS for bing as good as it is.

</font>
Same here.....no budget just plain common sense. I tested just about everything out there. Then I tested them again.....and then again.

Bottom line....I thought the 3 series was simply overpriced. Flame away, but there is not an overabundance of prestige in owning a 3 series.....it's still the "Little BMW" in too many eyes. (except for that M3….my God!) As for the CLK, a sweet car....but overpriced too. It seemed to be lacking IMHO....just missing something that $45+ should have in spades. C70 felt like a licorice whip in my hands....and I'll take my power without the 3+ second delay please. IS300 is a wonderful piece, but not my taste at all.

I dunno...if the CL wasn't available at the time I might have felt differently. Yeah, everytime I look at the steering wheel, column stalks, or window switches…..I’m instantly transported into a Civic or Accord. Yeah, some of the attention to detail puzzles the shit out of me. But the overall goodness and ability made me realize the impulsiveness in buying into a pedigree. I’m not frugal one iota (Adam knows this) but I can’t justify in my mind why I should pay up for a depreciating asset that gives me little more in return.

Would I like a BMW or Merc? I’d take anyone of them in an instant (except for the old 318ti )…..but wouldn’t pay up for one when I can get most of the goodness for so much less. But....WTF are we comparing 30K to 50K for anyway? You can't compare a Seiko to a Tag even though performance and features are tit-for-tat?

BTW….watch this. All the upper-crusts are gonna come out saying, “Your only argument is price/value. It’s a contented Accord. Overpriced Honda.” Maybe, but rich people live in brick houses.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33

[This message has been edited by Satin01CL (edited 05-18-2001).]
Old 05-18-2001, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Big deal, at least I know what my car is capable, screw edmunds.

------------------
2001 CL Type S
San Marino Red/Parchment
Spoiler, wind deflector,Wheel locks, Non Nav
No mods yet
Old 05-18-2001, 11:58 AM
Old Member

forget about edmunds, the whole team of people there are biased against Japanese mades. There were stupid forums that are used to undermine CL-S, e.g. a forum on CL-S vs Pontiac Grand Prix. IS300 vs. oldsmobile or something.

There have been a lot of complaints from CL owners about those forums and there were constant voices in the forums that those comparisons are not valid, but the moderators ignored those complaints and in fact demonstrated a bias towards american mades, which are not even in the near luxury segment.

I am not surprised that they will come up with a review that is against acura.

------------------
clintoronto... CL-S in TORONTO!
2001 3.2CL-S Black w/ spoiler, Prolarg M4 Roadlamps.
1999 Acura 3.2TL Black w/ Gold Emblems (SOLD)
Old 05-18-2001, 12:00 PM
Old Member

by the way, I used to participated a lot in the edmunds town hall discussions. Then I got very fed up with them. Luckily, we have our acura-cl.com forums here. Thanks to those people who created this wonderful site.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 12:01 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their uppity asses have never driven something less than $30k in sticker price obviously, or they wouldn't have the nerve to complain about that kind of stuff.

I drove either a '97 Camaro Z28 or a '98 Grand Am GT (4 cyl) before getting the CL-S and let me tell you, I've never been in a more comfortable, decent-performing sports sedan in my life (and I test drove the Audi A4, Grand Prix GTP, Accord EX V6, and Nissan Maxima to compare.)

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:39 PM
Rod
Drifting

This is ridiculous, comparing a CL-S to a CLK430 which is almost $20K more expensive.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I actually found this comparison quite reasonable. Here's why the CLS is ranked 4th:

1. The only reason why the C70 is placed higher is because it's got a manual.

2. CLK430: V-8 powered. Are you kidding me?

3. 330ci: $6000 more expensive as tested. It better be better!! Hell, if I've got an extra $6000 I would have bought that instead.

------------------
01' CL-S, Silver/Ebony

[This message has been edited by RandyMax (edited 05-18-2001).]
Old 05-18-2001, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey guys (and girls),

My 12 year old cousin has a car review site on the Internet. He ranked his Honda Civic as 1st place. Go and flame him! Or better yet, stop wasting your breath.

Don't you realize there is no difference with Edmunds,carpoint, or my little cousins site? Except maybe the fact that my little cousin actually knows SOMETHING about cars.

Most of us here are WAAAAY more qualified than idiots like "Liz Kim" but we're not pathetic enough to have a shit job like "journalist for edmunds". Please, that's right on par with flipping burgers at McDonalds... Just ignore it, please...

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.94 seconds
V-1 Hardwired
Old 05-18-2001, 02:05 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Technique:
My 12 year old cousin has a car review site on the Internet. He ranked his Honda Civic as 1st place.
</font>
I wish I had a Civic at 12, I had a 5HP go-kart.
Old 05-18-2001, 04:54 PM
Old Member

Quoting:

My 12 year old cousin has a car review site on the Internet. He ranked his Honda Civic as 1st place. Go and flame him! Or better yet, stop wasting your breath.

Don't you realize there is no difference with Edmunds,carpoint, or my little cousins site? Except maybe the fact that my little cousin actually knows SOMETHING about cars.

Most of us here are WAAAAY more qualified than idiots like "Liz Kim" but we're not pathetic enough to have a shit job like "journalist for edmunds". Please, that's right on par with flipping burgers at McDonalds... Just ignore it, please...

Well said, technique. I agree with every words you said.

It is funny how Edmunds always compare cars of totally different price ranges and class.

I won't be surprise that the next Edmunds review is comparing a Rolls Royce with a Hyundai Accent and the Hyundai Accent wins the comparison.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 06:15 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod:
I wish I had a Civic at 12, I had a 5HP go-kart.</font>
I wish I had a 5hp go-kart at 12, i had a hotwheel from k-mart

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

[This message has been edited by amirsafdari (edited 05-18-2001).]
Old 05-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
I wish I had a 5hp go-kart at 12, i had a hotwheel from k-mart

</font>
I had a 0.378 mp (MANPOWER) BMX bike when I was 12.

I am better than you are...

------------------
01' CL-S, Silver/Ebony
Old 05-18-2001, 07:51 PM
Red X

what the hell is imho? and imo? i'm only half asian so i only know half the acronyms

------------------
Not a cl-s owner just yet...but soon enough
Old 05-18-2001, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gmilian:
what the hell is imho? and imo? i'm only half asian so i only know half the acronyms

</font>
im(h)o = in my (humble) opinion

you are welcome.

------------------
01' CL-S, Silver/Ebony
Old 05-18-2001, 10:02 PM
Advanced

All,

The Edmunds CL-S review was accurate in most respects.

Only two real problems I saw with the article. The issue raised concerning the brakes was a problem that I have not experienced. Also don't agree with the description of the seat bolsters. The criticism could have been harsher in one respect. These particular reviewers didn't allow for a discussion of lousy dealer support on a warranty that is clearly a pure marketing gimmick.

There are several aspects of the article that were right on target. The description of the quality of the interior materials, fit, finish, transmission, and overall refinement were right on target. Loved the stereo review focusing on features that do not translate to performance. Suspect that the harsh shifting described in the review, which does occur, was triggered by the overrated VSA system.

Looking at the CL-S review by itself, excluding the comparison results, the writers would seem to have produced a balanced review.

The choice of comparison vehicles was poor, however. One wonders how the CL-S would have faired against comparably priced vehicles in the same class instead of a $50,000 8 cylinder Mercedes and a BMW 330Ci with a $5000 delta in sticker price. Even the Volvo stickers at $5k more than a similarly equipped CL-S!

Edmunds chose not to gloss over weaknesses that so many other car mags overlook. Kudos go to Edmunds for writing one of the few honest reviews of the CL.

5,000-20,000 demerits go to Edmunds for exercising such poor judgment in selecting high $ vehicles guaranteed to bury the CL in most categories. Hard to believe that the editors could not have foreseen the blatantly unfair outcome, particularly after swapping a V6 Mercedes for a V8 Mercedes in the comparison.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)

Old 05-19-2001, 12:33 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it funny the CL-S got top mention in cup holders and storage space...wooo hoo edmunds! (dinks)

------------------
2001 CL-S red, spoiler, mud guards, moon visor
Old 05-19-2001, 02:01 AM
Instructor

I wrote a long rebuttal to their opinions. But who is Edmunds anyway ? Are they even a company ? Why is anyone giving them any credibility in the first place ?

Old 05-23-2001, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

</font>
Hey Tech, is it your little cousin Daz???

------------------
Bone Stock (except for the scratched rims:-)) CL-S
Silver/Ebony
Navi
De-badged
Old 05-23-2001, 08:18 PM
Darth Chocolate

[/B]</font>
LMAO! I like that site for bare facts lists, but I never could get into their silly forums. Actually, the fact sheets on their site were one of the main reasons I chose my CL-S.

And don't let them kid you with the $6000 difference as tested between the BMW and the CL-S. If you actually add on all of the features for the 330ci that the CL-S comes with, the price difference is at least 10k. A friend of mine bought a 330ci, then just about messed his pants when he heard how much I paid for the CL-S with the same equipment.

------------------
Sypher (www.sypher.com)
'01 Black CL Type-S
Valentine-1
Old 05-23-2001, 08:22 PM
Banned

My friend bought a 325...after being loaded up...38K!!! The whole article is looking at parts and not at a whole..A GS400 would have been a more fair comparison, if they needed a Jap scapegoat..oh, but wait...that car would probably outdo all of the other cars.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sypher:
LMAO! I like that site for bare facts lists, but I never could get into their silly forums. Actually, the fact sheets on their site were one of the main reasons I chose my CL-S.

And don't let them kid you with the $6000 difference as tested between the BMW and the CL-S. If you actually add on all of the features for the 330ci that the CL-S comes with, the price difference is at least 10k. A friend of mine bought a 330ci, then just about messed his pants when he heard how much I paid for the CL-S with the same equipment.

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....