CL-S (6-speed) VS GTP

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 12:33 PM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL-S (6-speed) VS GTP

my friend torrie (zootking) race my other friends supercharged GTP last night... zootking's CL-S has just a cold air intake but my friends GTP has full exhaust, intake, and upgraded pully letting him run (11pounds of boost).. i thought it would be close they raced 4 times and this is how it went....

1st time they went from a 40mph role. it was pretty good race but by 90mph the CL-S pulled pretty good it was about alittle less then 2 cars !!! i was very suprised..

2nd time on the highway from a 65mph role, once again the CL-S hit 90mph it was ugly they stopped about 110mph and it was 3 cars easy!!!!

3rd time from a light, the CL-S won't get traction and the GTP took off the stoped about 90mph and the GTP was about a car ahead..

last time, they went from a 20mph role this time the GTP got a good jump but the CL-S was coming back had top end again but the GTP was still ahead alittle bit when they stoped..

i was suprised i thought it would be very close but it really wasn't. the GTP ran a 14.4@97mph the last time it went to the track
Old 07-24-2002, 12:42 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

My buddy just bought a GTP. He wants to go to the track one he breaks it in a bit.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:11 PM

ttt
Old 07-24-2002, 01:24 PM
Banned

there has been a post going on in one of the racing forums about GTP's....they are very quick, straight line acceleration-wise...their extra torque kills us off the line...stock GTP's run typically run 14.5 - 14.7 with some occasional STOCK 14.3 or lower runs!! a good freind of mine has a stock 1998 GTP that runs 14.5 consistantly and modded GTPs have been proven to do 13, 12, and even high 11 second runs.....i learned my lesson about talking shit about GTPs..my CL-S is stock (engine-wise) and i ran respectable 14.8s....but i wont be talking shit about a GTP anytime soon...watch out for the modded ones!!! a smaller pulley on that supercharger and an intake puts them in the 13s!!!!
Old 07-24-2002, 01:39 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

first off there are no 11/12 sec gtp's in this world unless it is tubbed and the only thing about it that makes it a gtp is the fiberglass shell that sits on top of a tubed chassis. second there aren't even any 13 sec gtps without juice runnin through its veins. and third a low 14 sec gtp requires all the mods avail on the market w/o a bottle. stop givin props to a car that has a larger engine and is supercharged that still can't run a cls. Acura is higher class and FASTER! there is no comparison to be made period. :whocares: about a fuckin pontiac?
Old 07-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by quikcls
first off there are no 11/12 sec gtp's in this world unless it is tubbed and the only thing about it that makes it a gtp is the fiberglass shell that sits on top of a tubed chassis. second there aren't even any 13 sec gtps without juice runnin through its veins. and third a low 14 sec gtp requires all the mods avail on the market w/o a bottle. stop givin props to a car that has a larger engine and is supercharged that still can't run a cls. Acura is higher class and FASTER! there is no comparison to be made period. :whocares: about a fuckin pontiac?

dude you couldnt be any more WRONG, clearly you dont know much about GTP's and their capabilities....there are MANY MANY GTP's running in the 12s...anywhere from 12.9 to 12.111...second of all, it takes less than 1000 dollars in mods to get a GTP in the 13s....its been done many many times...and its been proven many times...third of all, STOCK gtps are known to run low 14 seconds, also, there is one member at their site that has a proven timeslip, personally wittnessed by other people showing a 13.9 second STOCK time, granted, thats the only 13 second STOCK GTP run on record, but it is a feat in an of itself....so next time you want to come back with some claims that these cars are slow, go do some research first...head over to www.clubgp.com and check out their proven timeslips....you are very wrong my freind, GTP's that are modded will beat us EVERY SINGLE TIME...unless of course this CL-S supercharger comes along
Old 07-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Banned

as far as the 11.9 second GTP, there is one member there who has done it...he had nitrous i beleive, however, he did not have any roll cage or anything like that and he was kicked off the track after the run
Old 07-24-2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by jimcol711

dude you couldnt be any more WRONG, clearly you dont know much about GTP's and their capabilities....there are MANY MANY GTP's running in the 12s...anywhere from 12.9 to 12.111...second of all, it takes less than 1000 dollars in mods to get a GTP in the 13s....its been done many many times...and its been proven many times...third of all, STOCK gtps are known to run low 14 seconds, also, there is one member at their site that has a proven timeslip, personally wittnessed by other people showing a 13.9 second STOCK time, granted, thats the only 13 second STOCK GTP run on record, but it is a feat in an of itself....so next time you want to come back with some claims that these cars are slow, go do some research first...head over to www.clubgp.com and check out their proven timeslips....you are very wrong my freind, GTP's that are modded will beat us EVERY SINGLE TIME...unless of course this CL-S supercharger comes along

yes you can make GTP'S fast like anything else.. but don't forget that a GTP is a heavy ass car and they are not as easy as you think they are to get into the 13's... !!!!!
Old 07-24-2002, 02:18 PM
Banned

they are heavy, for sure....in fact a bit heavier than the CL-S if im not mistaken...but all it takes to get to the mid-high 13s is the following:

3.25" pulley = $60
CAI = $100 (also at the track, they remove the headlight to act as a forced induction)
catback exhaust with O2 sensor mod = 500
performance PCM = 300

total for these mods = about $960 depending on supplier, new/used, etc.

typically this is enough to get them into the 13's....for another $1000-$1500 they throw on headers, 3" pulley, port and polish heads, camshaft, and sticky tires and then we are looking at high 12's. that 3" pulley gets them about 14 lbs of boost if i remember correctly....maybe even a lb or 2 higher
Old 07-24-2002, 03:29 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by jimcol711
they are heavy, for sure....in fact a bit heavier than the CL-S if im not mistaken...but all it takes to get to the mid-high 13s is the following:

3.25" pulley = $60
CAI = $100 (also at the track, they remove the headlight to act as a forced induction)
catback exhaust with O2 sensor mod = 500
performance PCM = 300

total for these mods = about $960 depending on supplier, new/used, etc.

typically this is enough to get them into the 13's....for another $1000-$1500 they throw on headers, 3" pulley, port and polish heads, camshaft, and sticky tires and then we are looking at high 12's. that 3" pulley gets them about 14 lbs of boost if i remember correctly....maybe even a lb or 2 higher
UMMMMMM Jim - I thought we discussed this. I am wondering, are you a GTP guy in a CLS ride? You sure love gtps. Why didn't you get one over the cls? I don't get it? Anyway, Good kill zootking!

Oh jim - I drove to hillbilly country this weekend Luray - Virginia (land of the pontiacs and fords), and I ran into all sorts of cars. And again, not one of them (GTPs), were modded. I got challeged so many times b/c of me being an import and I must say, I have never seen so many disappointed rednecks in one weekend. So, my theory still stands (with my girlfriend as a witness) unless they are modded they are modded or gutted, or one crazy ass driver, bring it! I still haven't lost to one. :P
Old 07-24-2002, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS

UMMMMMM Jim - I thought we discussed this. I am wondering, are you a GTP guy in a CLS ride? You sure love gtps. Why didn't you get one over the cls? I don't get it? Anyway, Good kill zootking!

Oh jim - I drove to hillbilly country this weekend Luray - Virginia (land of the pontiacs and fords), and I ran into all sorts of cars. And again, not one of them (GTPs), were modded. I got challeged so many times b/c of me being an import and I must say, I have never seen so many disappointed rednecks in one weekend. So, my theory still stands (with my girlfriend as a witness) unless they are modded they are modded or gutted, or one crazy ass driver, bring it! I still haven't lost to one. :P

hahaha, dude, actually in spite of what ive been saying im not a "GTP" guy...i absolutely loathe the interior on those cars and the whole GM build quality..the only way id ever own one is if for some reason i could no longer afford my CL-S and needed a cheaper car....but even then, id be cringing as i signed the paperwork because i have had GM cars in the past and everyone let me down and needed alot of work outside the warrenty...uuugh...i definately love my CL-S and wouldnt trade it for a GTP!! i guess i just get pissed when people are all like "oh yeah, fuck GTP its slooooow" well guess what boys, a modded GTP will kill us any day...fact is fact....and thats a FACT....sure, some stock GTPs can be beat, but some cant,....all in all GTP is a faster, and more easily moddable car than the CL-S...but we do get a much better car overall in every way imaginable....

if for some reason i can no longer afford my CL-S, i think ill just have to trade it in, get a 1999 GTP for like 16 grand and spend about 4 grand modding and pimping it out and it will be running low 12's and ill smoke anyone of you guys with a CL-S hehehehe, as long as the engine doesnt blow or the tranny dies or some other typical GM bullshit that likes to happen... but like i said, as long as i can keep up with my CL-S payments (and as long as my insurance doesnt skyrocket from my recent run-in with the law) im keeping it, the CL-S is a much more attractive car. so dont think im a GTP guy just cause im not letting everyone talk down on em!

i think it would do all of you GTP-haters a good service to just go over to their site and take a look at the time slips and the lists of mods, its really so clear and evident, these are simply faster cars.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:44 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jump off the GTP's dick already.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by darrinb
Jump off the GTP's dick already.
eat a hamburger already...if you have nothing informative or helpful to say, dont waste space here...
Old 07-24-2002, 04:30 PM
An ETC Owner

GM's 3.8 and 3.8 Spupercharged Series II engines, never have a problem ,they are bulletproof, alnog with the trannies. In my 97 ETC, I am outting 300hp, and 295 torque stock to the front wheels via 4T80-E auto. GM makes the best trannies (stock automatic) and evnen BMW and aston martin uses them! A stovk GTP runs 6.8-6.6 0-60. That is beacuse it only had low-end grunt, while the Acurs CLS (inmprts) tend to have MUCH more in the higher RPMs. Built quality is Shit-t on GMs, but hey I own them and have never had any problems!

I think normally aspirated is better than blown, but whatever u want to drive..
Old 07-24-2002, 04:39 PM
Banned

my experience with GM trannies hasnt been to good...my 2nd car was a 1991 buick lesabre with the 3800 series I engine and that tranny died at 67,000 miles, then again at about 90,000...the second one was replaced free because of such a short amount of mileage between tranny failures...then i had a 96 camaro that ran well, but started to slip a bit....then i totalled that car and didnt have to worry about the tranny anymore next up was a 1997 chevy blazer LT with the 4.3 liter motor..that tranny was DYING badddly..it would literally SLAM into 2nd gear and then it would slip constantly, misshifts..it had 49,000 miles on it!!!! i traded that sucker in for the Acura CL-S...so i guess as you can see i have a little bit if hesitation when it comes to GM trannies...maybe i just got some bad apples
Old 07-24-2002, 08:09 PM
An ETC Owner

Well, the problem is that most people dont use parking brakes. A lot of people will say, you dont need it, but it does help with tranny life. If at 49k miles, I'd make chevy replace the tranny, cuz that just aint right. There are so many variables out there, but hey, as long as you are happy with your car!
Old 07-24-2002, 11:23 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by caddyman
Well, the problem is that most people dont use parking brakes. A lot of people will say, you dont need it, but it does help with tranny life. If at 49k miles, I'd make chevy replace the tranny, cuz that just aint right. There are so many variables out there, but hey, as long as you are happy with your car!
So when you park your car you should put the park brake on???
Old 07-25-2002, 12:45 AM
An ETC Owner

YES, definately. Think of it as having a manual tranny, and parked on a hill, (I have tried it) and leave it in gear, and dpnt use the brake, and let go, the care rools, and all that it taken by the gears. The oarking pawl is meant to hold you car, but most time, the car isnt flat, is at a slight angle, and you tranny takes that "abuse". Ever wonder why tractor trailer, buses, dont have PARK on their trannies? Because even if they did 99.999% of the drivers wouldnt use them, and the tranny would fail prematurely. In your owners manual it will say, place gear slector in park, and firmly apply parking brake. Here is good thig to show you.. go find a slight incline.. park the car. open the hood get in the car, take out of park, then place back in park (no brake) and while you let go of the bake, look at your engine it will "rock" well, that is the transmission and its mounting points. IT will also cause your engine and tranny mounts to fail prematurely. I know it is an extra 5 secinds of hassle for someome to use the parking brake, but in the long run it does lotsa good! ALSO, while on an incline, shifting out of park without the parking brake is a lot harded than with it, not the 5spd, are elcetronically shifted (i think) and you will not "feel" it, but it requires a great deal more energy to "pull"that cable, from park to gear. Also on FWD cars, by having your tranny in park and parking brake on, you will effectively "lock" all 4 wheels, which essentially helps to stop theft by tow. There are lots of reasons to USE the parking brake, and only 1 not to..lazyness. But hey, its your car!

noth tidbit, it is reffered to as a parking brake, so hence the name, use it for parking!

ok enough rambling