A CL Question for you...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A CL Question for you...

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to open this thread!

I'm in the market to buy a new car (used that is...just new to me). And I must admit the 2001 3.2 CL Type-S has really caught my eye. I just have a few questions for you who own the newer body style.

I'm very familiar with the MDX platform. And from what it looks like, the CL is very closely designed with the MDX...similar parts used etc. The MDX SUV (from what I have seen) is a very tough long lasting vehicle. The company I work for has a few for our sales reps to drive. Trust me, they drive them hard...they don't own them. These vehicles are still holding up very well with little maintenance if any (and they are 2001's). Well with all this being said. I'm really leaning towards the CL...Great looking car. To any of you who have one, what should I be looking for when I go to a dealer or person who is selling one. Something that only a CL owner would know about.

I'm just looking to keep it stock, a normal everyday driver. I also live in the Toronto area…any good dealers I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this...

Rino
Old 09-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Advanced

yeah i have an 01 cls its nice, fast, loaded for a good price...but TRUST me its not worth it...boy if someone could have told me this 8 months ago...one the auto transmission...they fail left and right and they are not safe to drive...you can figure somthing is wrong when there is a whole section in this site dedicated to the transmission(you need to check that out), another depriciation...is horrible...its nearly impossible to get anything close to what you paid for it even with average depriciation.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Instructor

To buy or not to buy, that is the question!

Before you buy, please look at this link: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152090, as well as, all the other posts in the Transmission Q&A forum.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:52 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
In 2003 a 6 speed manual was offered which does not have reliability issues and is fun to drive! If you get an 01 or 02 CL the auto tranny has an extended 100k mi warranty due to a pattern of problems with them. They replace them with rebuilt trannies. Besides that just be aware of when the factory warranty is over by checking the in-service date. Brake rotors warping is also a common issue. good luck.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:00 AM
5th Gear

I live in toronto too! I am picking up my cl type s this week from Sherway Acura....(but that's cuz i know the manager there)....however, i did check out other dealers........check out Import motors, Canadian Fine Motors, Ideal fine cars and The collection......these four dealerships all have great prices on cl's. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 12:08 AM
I NEED MONEY!

auto = NO!

manual = YES!

that sums everything up! Live by those rules they are very vital and will save you thousands....literally

welcome to the CL BOARD!!

b/w how sexy are you?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:24 AM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
auto = NO!

manual = YES!

that sums everything up! Live by those rules they are very vital and will save you thousands....literally

b/w how sexy are you?
-Agree with the auto being something you shouldn't look into. It's just not worth the headaches and stress. Not to mention the unnerving fear of a quick gear 5-2 downshift while driving 75 on the freeway.

-And go V... attaboy you online pimp.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:29 AM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
-And go V... attaboy you online pimp.

so how abt we close the thread w/...'

make ur fellow future CLers happy
Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 AM
BC
nearsighted visionary

By all means get the 6 speed if you like to row your own, and can find one, and can afford an '03.
Honestly tho, what is the actual failure rate on the auto? One in fifteen? One in twenty? I've hammered on my '01 for 22k+ with no problems. Got a few extra ponies too. How many people have actually been injured when the trans fails? Anyone here?

BTW tubeamp, what's your poison? Triodes? 6922's? 300B's? Gotta love the firebottles.

Hope you find a good CL. Sieze ya.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
If you can cough up the dough, then definitely go for an '03 with the 6-speed.

The 5-speed automatic is just not worth the possible headaches, really. I did a lot of research (apparently, it wasn't enough as it turned out) and made sure with the dealership that the batch my car came in had already received the transmission fix. They assured me that the problem was resolved, hence the reason my car does not have the extended transmission warranty ('03 TL-S, late batch).

Well, I fell for it. And now I regret it. With 28k miles, it's shifting really rough and I don't like it one bit.

As time passed by, we have witnessed '03 models without the extended warranty (supposedly with the fix from the factory) go through transmission failure. So nobody is really exempt. The on-going transmission recall even includes the '04 3rd generation TL.

Save yourself the pain and look into the G35 coupe or something. Forget Acura. Just walk away. (Unless you go for the 6-speed)
Old 09-13-2004, 01:39 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by BC
By all means get the 6 speed if you like to row your own, and can find one, and can afford an '03.
Honestly tho, what is the actual failure rate on the auto? One in fifteen? One in twenty? I've hammered on my '01 for 22k+ with no problems. Got a few extra ponies too. How many people have actually been injured when the trans fails? Anyone here?

BTW tubeamp, what's your poison? Triodes? 6922's? 300B's? Gotta love the firebottles.

Hope you find a good CL. Sieze ya.

I can't remember his name right now, but there was a member on A-TL with a UA4 whose transmission locked up on the highway and ended up in a crash. The car was totalled -- he posted pictures and it was a miracle that he wasn't hurt. But he was still shaken up pretty badly. And if I remember correctly, there was at least one more case of the same nature.

But the point is not how many people have actually gotten injured. Rather, it's how many people could possibly get hurt by this serious defect. And the answer should be a big fat zero. Nobody should fork over their hard-earned money for a car they want, and potentially get hurt by the same damn thing that had driven their desire to buy it in the first place. That's just bullshit.

There was a talk about my mom taking over my car and I getting a new one. I said no way in hell because I know she won't be able to control the situation in case the transmission fails. Then she was going to get an MDX, but I said hell no to that one, too. Now she's looking into the X5. Nobody I know, my family, my relatives, my friends, will never ever be recommended a Honda or an Acura vehicle from me. This is my first Honda ever, and you can be damned sure that it'll be my last ever -- it's a love/hate relationship, which I really hate.

I love my car to death and I'll keep it as long as I possibly can, but I'm definitely going for the transmission reinforcement as soon as I get the money together.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:46 AM
That's Racist

Very well put Ad. Oddly enough... my situation is 90% exactly like yours.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Instructor

the CL quality & reliabilty are less than stellar. trans issues aside. the CL in question (2nd gen) have various problems. lots of squeeks, rattles, & klunks. paint quality is terrible. warped rotors seem a widespread problem. very extreme wind noise w/ windows open at highway speeds. poor audio sound quality - also jammed CD mechanism seems a widespread problem. very low resale.

if you want a reliable car acura's the wrong place to look. but i have no other suggestions for a reliable coupe except maybe the accord. i can't speak for the new accord. the 5th gens (98 - 02) were very good (except for the auto trans).

good luck.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've had two 2003 CL 6 speeds, one for a year with 15k miles, and had this one for 6 months at 13k miles. I had the brake rotor problem with the first one, and sunroof squeak with the 2nd one. Both were fixed under warranty. The radio is not the greatest but it's better than most. Not had any other problems with mine., no CD problems. I would avoid the automatic tranny.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

My 01 3.2cls has 70k miles on it. If the transmission were to get screwed up, is there a certain time it usually happens. I guess I am wondering am I safe or should I be getting worried? I bought it used and don't know if anything went wrong before me.

I have noticed a very annoying rattle in the back seat area. I keep meaning to investigate it further but haven't gotten around to it. Did anyone else have this same noise so maybe I get it to shut the heck up.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Drifting

i love my cl, so i say get it! People on this board are just haters.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:57 AM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by evilstorm
i love my cl, so i say get it! People on this board are just haters.

Yeah I am very inlove w/ mine also! But every car has its problems....nothing out there is a perfect build.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by andy1
My 01 3.2cls has 70k miles on it. If the transmission were to get screwed up, is there a certain time it usually happens. I guess I am wondering am I safe or should I be getting worried? I bought it used and don't know if anything went wrong before me.

I have noticed a very annoying rattle in the back seat area. I keep meaning to investigate it further but haven't gotten around to it. Did anyone else have this same noise so maybe I get it to shut the heck up.
My rear deck and rear seat area is the rattle zone in the car. It rattles with the stereo off, and it rattles even worse when the stereo is turned on. It's driving me insane. I have 3 sheets of Dynamat left over and I've been meaning to dynamat the hell out of the rear deck, but I haven't found time.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
auto = NO!

manual = YES!

b/w how sexy are you?
Veeral...

seriously man, you need some booty.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Yeah I am very inlove w/ mine also! But every car has its problems....nothing out there is a perfect build.
True, and VERY FEW are as badly built either!
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I love my 6spd, and with the prices of the used ones out there, you really can't find too many cars that can compete (at the same price).