Chrome Chip ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:33 AM
XSESIVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Chip ???

Hey Guys. I have a set of chrome Helo's in 18 on my CL (thanks Smitty). This is my daily driver and I have 2 chips in the chrome. Actually I think it happened at the dealer, but cannot prove it. Anyway, is there anything I can do to make this look better or to prevent it from peeling away further? I am not prepared to have them re-chromed until I need tires.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Don't have them rechromed. Do this instead. Life time guarantee. These are on my car. I have the black pearl, but standard shiney chrome is available also. Powder coating!

www.goodrichtechnology.com

$150 per wheel to strip your old chrome, wheel repair if necessary and a 100% completely powder coated wheel that needs no polishing.

Chrome plating is good for about two years tops if you run your wheels year around where there is salt and snow.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:03 PM
XSESIVE

I like the black pearl. Right now I am going to run them until the tires wear and then put the stockies on while I get these re-done and some new rubber. I am hoping to get another 6 mo from these SO-3s.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Pics of my rims are at:

http://www.imageevent.com/smitty/davefredericksen

I am a powder coater, but I cannot do the goodrich process.

I powder coated Smittys calipers.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:38 PM
XSESIVE

I remember your name from Smitty's posts regarding the calipers. They look great in the pictures! That black pearl is sweet.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Attorney David Rosenberg meet ITW's Technical Associate/ Master Powdercoater Dave Fredericksen.....

Yeah Rosenberg, get them done by Gary Goodrich like Fredericksen said... Powdercoating is really tuff stuff!!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:21 PM
XSESIVE

That black pearl looks nice. That would look real tight on the black car. Actually, despite my 2 chips, the wheels are holding up better than the paint on the damn car. I wonder if I could get the whole car done in black pearl...
Old 07-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Dave Rose: Doing the whole car is not possible. It will not fit in the vapor deposition chamber is sized for wheels. Plus, I don't care if you are an atourney, you don't want to know what that would cost.

My car was hit a while back, and one of my wheels was a casaulty. None of the powder coating came off, but the paint from her green car transferred to my wheel. I probably could have take rubbing coupound to the wheel, but what the hell, as I am a lazy bastard, and it was her fault, I sent the wheel back to goodrich to be recoated.

Turns out the goodrich guys had some faulty equipment controlling the atmosphere in the chamber. I am assuming you have seen the pictures of my car and wheels. Turns out my repaired wheel came back about three shades darker than my other three wheels, and I actually like it better. If I had a black car, that is what I would want.

My original four wheels were more chrome than black, my repaired wheel is more black than chrome. Although this irks me, I can live with it. I have a pic of this, and I will forward to Smitty on Monday (the shit is at work) so you can see what I mean. I would get my wheel rematched to the rest of the car, but right now I need it too much.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not saying Gary Goodrich can dial in any balance of chrome vs. black on command. Gary was unaware of the color change until I sent him a photo. They found the correction to get back on track colorwise, but they probably do not know nor documented the condition that produced the darker wheels. But Gary is a pretty sharp character, he may know.

It does suggest that a darker wheel is possible. BTW, after the colission occured, I inspected my powder coated wheel very closely. None of the coating was lost at all. Not bad for getting hit by a 3,500 pound car. Watch for a pic soon.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dave (dfreder) do you have spacers on your car or no? It seems like the rears stick out a touch further than mine does, or is that just wider tires?

$150/wheel is not a bad price for powder coating. I think my ABP would look best with the regular chrome, but I'm not sure if I like the stock wheels enough to do it. Would save me about $1500 though.