Christmas time.......what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas time.......what to get?

First, I'm a Mustang guy so I have no idea about Acuras. My brother has a 2003 Acura CL Type S. Any recommendations that for anything I can get him for his car around $50 or so? It is a small budget, but I was wondering if there was a cold air kit or something in that price range. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
well no forcing cold air into the J32a2 [engine code] is gonna cost about 4 times that much at close to $200. If you're still intrested do some research on a Comptech, AEM, or even injen Cold Air Intakes. thats that for cold air...

ummm, maybe look through the black market section of the forums, you might find something interesting there. also note, yeah the mods are a little more expensive, and if you find something you want to buy, just make sure it is for the Type-s model versus the base "CL-P"

that should get you started on your christmas shopping for your bro...and if he's on here, dont ruin the surprise.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kit5pt0
First, I'm a Mustang guy so I have no idea about Acuras. My brother has a 2003 Acura CL Type S. Any recommendations that for anything I can get him for his car around $50 or so? It is a small budget, but I was wondering if there was a cold air kit or something in that price range. Thanks.
If you have around $88 bucks you could get him a set of headers (XS Power). That would definitely make him happy. Huge power added for these cars.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

he sent me this through ebay, keep in mind, he doesn't know too much about performance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...QQcmdZViewItem

is this thing legit??? will it throw any codes? looks pretty simple to install, looks like a piece of $hit to if you ask me.

also, how difficult is it to install headers on these cars?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Drive it like it's HOT!

for $50 bucks, you can get your brother some bright LEDs for the interior + more...
Old 11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site! Though you stated that you're a Mustang guy, there's other folks here at the site I'm sure that are lucky enough to have different car or 2 in their garages as well. Anyways, back to the Ebay item...FORGET IT! As someone had mentioned earlier, get the CAI intake or the XS headers. Both things can free up some hp for your bro's car. Personally, I'd say get the XS headers due to the good hp coming from it & has best bang for the back so to speak at roughly $100. There are some things that need to be bought to get the most out of that header, but it's just a matter of better bolts & an oem gasket, but just check out the thread for that & take it from there. Installation can either be performed by you & your bro, or if you're not too mechanically inclined like me, then any reputable exhaust shop can do the service for you. Just fyi, I too have a bro that's into different cars besides imports, his latest project that's almost finished is a '67 Chevelle w/a crate 350 ci engine & all the trimmings...but that's a different story....lol Best of luck with the decision on what to get, & make sure you check in again when you have time....PEACE!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kit5pt0
he sent me this through ebay, keep in mind, he doesn't know too much about performance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...QQcmdZViewItem

is this thing legit??? will it throw any codes? looks pretty simple to install, looks like a piece of $hit to if you ask me.

also, how difficult is it to install headers on these cars?
That "supercharger" is wack as hell. Your way better off with headers or intake.

I can't personally comment on installing the headers since my vehicle came with them when I bought it. I'd have to imagine its harder than the mustang since the engine is mounted sideways and its more difficult to get to the rear set of the headers than in a RWD vehicle. There are quite a few threads here dealing with installation of headers, so give that a quick search.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
would you buy this for your car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem
so yeah a big NO!
headers are not that hard to install if you are somewhat mechanically inclined but if he was serious by sending you that electric supercharger for an actual gift......might get someone else to do the header install.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You can buy all my aftermarket parts that I took off of my CL! lol

no but seriously, buy a set of XS headers...he'll thank you for it.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
if he was serious by sending you that electric supercharger for an actual gift......might get someone else to do the header install.
lol! itd only be smart.

also since your new, i just want to put it into perspective: the Comptech headers which most say have the best quality/top of the line headers go for $1,300 new, so the XS headers are one hell of a deal, havent heard any problems with them...definitely go for those...

headers were my first mod, and i officially fell in love with the CL...now what better gift could you give to a car owner than to make him love his car even more? and the super electric s/c thingy isn't the correct answer. lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
If you have around $88 bucks you could get him a set of headers (XS Power). That would definitely make him happy. Huge power added for these cars.
x2... install is a matter of unbolting the old and bolting up the new... the rear header is a little difficult to get to but do-able, and the bolts at the CAT are tough to get off. other then that just upgrade the bolts that come with the headers and you got a happy brother... plus it would be a good brother brother project. GL man
Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear

thanks for the info. i'm glad i asked because that "supercharger" thing definitely looked like a piece of $hit. it looks like the concensus is for headers. now here's another dumb and probably obvious question, how much louder would the headers make his car? i would imagine it would be pretty noticeable (even without full aftermarket exhaust)?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Instructor

if you do the install right and the headers dont have any leaks then it should sound good, not crazy loud. I have AEM CAI and headers, and when i get on it good i have to stop and look at my car b/c at high rpm's it sounds more like a muscle car. he'll like it
Old 11-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidCLs6
x2... install is a matter of unbolting the old and bolting up the new... the rear header is a little difficult to get to but do-able, and the bolts at the CAT are tough to get off. other then that just upgrade the bolts that come with the headers and you got a happy brother... plus it would be a good brother brother project. GL man
It's not that simple. The old ones could be a bitch in get off. Several members have stopped doing it in the middle & took it to a shop because they couldn't get the bolts off, or stripped them trying.

Headers while a good upgrade, require serious install. So unless your brother wants to pay to have them put on, or try himself those $88 headers may cost $300 by the time your done.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:32 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
You could let him win in a race with your Ford Mustang.

Is his a 6 speed? You could get him a better shift knob. or maybe new floormats,
or brighter white bulbs for the interior.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:31 AM

the tone is indeed different with the headers in the sense that the tone is deeper and SLIGHTlY louder...in the grand scale of things, NO, the car is not LOUDER, but only sounds better...b/c stock or not, you still hear your car...
Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
CL-Pride

I will be happy if you buy me a lot of car care products.
Last weekend, i spent $50ish on car care products at target.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If he doesnt have a set of rubber mats for the carpet thats what i would get startin off first, or maby a drop in filter for the air filter by KN would also be nice 50 wont really get you all that much of anything in the Acura world just to let you know, you need to spend at least 100 or more for hp upgrades!!