Choice between the CLs 6-speep or accord 6speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choice between the CLs 6-speep or accord 6speed

hey guys, I can't make up my mind on which car to get. CL is defenetelly a much better car. But with all the talk about it not being made any more is making a little weiry. What do you think? If I have a choice between Accord for 25,000 or CL for 29000, which is a better deal in the long run?
Old 03-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Broke youngster :(

personally, its all about the resale value going to be later, i bet the CLS 6 speed would cost the same as a accord 6 speed later in life, CLS depreciates more coming out of the dealership.

however, its a price of luxury and minor differences between the two cars, me thinks you should get the v6 accord EX leather with 6 speed, fully loaded.

Nick out.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
ITS A no brainer ! C L S - A C U R A !!!!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Banned

With the exception of the Navi...the CL-S 6speed is better in every way.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

The Accord is a 7th generation chassis, the CL-S is a 6th genner. Drive both and decide for yourself.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

is there an lsd in the accord?
Old 03-06-2003, 06:16 PM
What, me drive fast?

First of all, you are asking in the wrong place if you want most of the people here to say Accord. Personally, I feel that the CL-S is a better looking car. The Accord is in it's first year, the CL is in it's 3rd and possible last. I do like the gauges and stearing wheel design on the Accord. The LED screens (climate control, radio) are nicer on the Accord. I think that black LCD on a green background looks dated on the CL. If I drove manual, it would be a tough choice....but I LOVE my CL too much not to say, "get the CL!!!!".
Old 03-06-2003, 06:20 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS has more power and who cares if it is getting discontiued, that would just make the resell value higher. Just think about it 2003 could be the only year for the six speed
Old 03-06-2003, 06:26 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Screw the resale. Cars are NEVER an investment. Drive both and get the one you like best (I have both). IMO the CLS6 is nicer (more 'raw' power).

I also like the discontinued factor. It means that you never have to look at the 'new' one.

Both are VERY good choices though...
Old 03-06-2003, 06:27 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,953 Likes on 2,637 Posts
Drive both and decide. The accord is newer and in my opinion better. ( But to appease all the acura snobs i will admit that if the CL were redesigned it would come out on top, but it wont be and such is the production world of cars always one upping. I think the seats in the new accord are much more comfortable and I love the interior design, my opinions only. Get a brochure the spd accord is its own trim with its own features like perforted leather, better sound system, 17" wheels etc etc.

Now the CL 6spd is a beaut of a car also, no denying it. just older technology not that there is anything wrong with that. It all really really comes down to what car feels best to you.

Good luck with whichever car you choose.

If youre picking a car based on resale value then youre buying a car for the wrong reason. Sure it can influence a desicion but cars will depreciate no matter how much bitching people do. you cant buy a car because you think youll get money of it when you go to sell it.

JakeCL: Sadly there is no LSD on the accord.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:30 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by spdy0001
CLS has more power and who cares if it is getting discontiued, that would just make the resell value higher. Just think about it 2003 could be the only year for the six speed
were arent talking about an exotic sports car here, the resale will actually get worse but nice try.

As for the power both 6spds are in same ballpark.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Sarlacc:
I'm a proud CLS SNOB ! OK.....I happen to have both an 98 V6 Accord coupe and the 01 CLS ! The new Accords are Fugly (fucking ugly). The 6th Gen Accords are better looking all the way around. I don't need a 67" monitor Navi on my Dash. The CL is way better all the way around.....
Old 03-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Banned

Flip a coin! :P
Old 03-06-2003, 07:33 PM
What, me drive fast?

Resale on a lot of cars (non-exotics) go up after they are discontinued. Examples of Hondas...the 5th gen Prelude SH and the Civic Si coupe (not the current hatchback). Book value may not show the value that people are willing to spend on them. I was called by the dealership that I bought my Prelude at asking if I wanted to sell it back to them (I had traded it for my CL-S just a month before). My former boss's husband is part owner of a dealership and he wanted to buy my Prelude off me too. A friend of mine had a (98?) Civic Si coupe and was offered almost what he paid for it when he thought about trading it in. He decide to keep it! I guess he really didn't want to part with it!
Old 03-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I was looking at both. I bought the CLS. I just couldn't get over the looks of the Accord.

Buy what you like. There have been rumors that the 6psd CLS isn't being made anymore to allow the assembly line to concentrate on pumping out the 6spd Accord, so it might be tough to get a CLS 6spd in certain colors (w/ or w/o navi).

I'm still not convinced that the CLS is dead. There was only that one post by Walter (or something like that) that said that his dad received word (email/letter) that Acura would stop making the CL in June. Maybe Acura will stop making them in June, and come out with the new version (based on the 7th gen Accord) at a later date (like the 2000 model year CL that was never made before the intorduction of the 2nd gen CL). Until I read it in an official Acura press release, I'm not convinced of anything.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Fabvsix
The new Accords are Fugly (fucking ugly).
thats uglyfast to you! :P :pfawk:
Old 03-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Banned

Re: Choice between the CLs 6-speep or accord 6speed

Originally posted by FPAEP
hey guys, I can't make up my mind on which car to get. CL is defenetelly a much better car. But with all the talk about it not being made any more is making a little weiry. What do you think? If I have a choice between Accord for 25,000 or CL for 29000, which is a better deal in the long run?
my friend your comparing apples to oranges if you excuse my honesty the Cl-S 6 speed with some slight modification can give you performance the Accord is incapable of doing.

IMO get the CL-S 6 with navi put on the Comptech springs and sways with the Titanium strut bar. The car will drive so much nicer but you will notice that the car needs better tires so then go with some lightweight forged rims in 18 x 8 with some 235/40 light tires. So far you will have a car that is faster than most cars on the streets and will drive so precise your passengers will hold on to dear life. You haven't even touched the engine that is when you get the Comptech Ice-box and the headers for the added kick in the ass of the line. If you know how to shop for the items above they can run you about $3k to $4K but don't worry cause you will have a sick ass ride that if anybody asked you about the Accord you answer will be " Accord who ?? what is that Ive never even heard of an Accord??

Guy try to get a used CL-S 6 speed and you 'll be ahead of the game. believe the accord is nice and all but the cl-s has everything you will not anything else and after the warranty runs out you always have the Comptech s/C to fall back on.

Good Luck
Lou
Old 03-06-2003, 08:10 PM
The Third Ball

Sarlacc:
I'm a proud CLS SNOB ! OK.....I happen to have both an 98 V6 Accord coupe and the 01 CLS ! The new Accords are Fugly (fucking ugly). The 6th Gen Accords are better looking all the way around. I don't need a 67" monitor Navi on my Dash. The CL is way better all the way around.....
Ok...so you have an opinion and we read it, so what you want a cookie?

Blackmagic - true there are exceptions, the civic si and the preludes have very strong followings, Im still a prelude fan to this day. Same is the case with rx-7s and 300zs. I guess what i meant to say is that all those cars had YEARS of production and people loving them. The CL never acheived that sort of status. Granted we people here on this forum love them I dont think they have the history and the fan following of these other imports. Now in time I think yes maybe the 6spds will hold a certain value because of their rarity it all depends, but overall i think CL value will not hold as well as other honda/acuras. Hell the new civic si probably wont hold a lot of value on the secondary market. But in the end the resale will still be better then those of say...domestics.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:20 PM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by greenmonster
I was looking at both. I bought the CLS. I just couldn't get over the looks of the Accord.

Buy what you like. There have been rumors that the 6psd CLS isn't being made anymore to allow the assembly line to concentrate on pumping out the 6spd Accord, so it might be tough to get a CLS 6spd in certain colors (w/ or w/o navi).

I'm still not convinced that the CLS is dead. There was only that one post by Walter (or something like that) that said that his dad received word (email/letter) that Acura would stop making the CL in June. Maybe Acura will stop making them in June, and come out with the new version (based on the 7th gen Accord) at a later date (like the 2000 model year CL that was never made before the intorduction of the 2nd gen CL). Until I read it in an official Acura press release, I'm not convinced of anything.
Those rumors are just BS. The 6 speed i ordered is being manufactured this week.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:50 PM
Broke youngster :(

I would wait for the next gen CLS 6 speed if I was myself, or get a 6 speed SMG style like whats in the DNX

Nick out.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:27 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i just went to dealer. For what ever it's worth, hey said last build dates will probably be June or July.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Instructor

hey, thanks a lot guys for all the responces. I am pretty much convinced about getting the CLs 6speed. I don't really like the looks of an accord, and if I am spending 30,000 grand, I want to have no doubt what-so-ever.

But let me ask you this questions....

What is in your opinions a good out-the-door price for a brand new CLs 6-speed?
Old 03-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Banned

hey, thanks a lot guys for all the responces. I am pretty much convinced about getting the CLs 6speed. I don't really like the looks of an accord, and if I am spending 30,000 grand, I want to have no doubt what-so-ever.

But let me ask you this questions....

What is in your opinions a good out-the-door price for a brand new CLs 6-speed?
why don't you just test drive them both before making a decision? how can you just go on the CLS6, based on the biased opinions of a CL site? buy what would be right for you! There is much more to a car that meets the eye! for instance, the accord is a lot more nimble/tossable, because of the 300lbs weight difference. I'd go with the acura for the plush interior/space. However if you want exclusivity, then go with the accord, because each dealer is only getting 1 this year, so you will be one of the lucky few. The navi on the accord is also more advanced! Both are about the same in a straight line! 14.5 @99mph. the cls6 has more mods out for it though, even a supercharger option.

In the end its up to you! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. DRIVE BOTH extensively, then chose what you like.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by torqueaholic
why don't you just test drive them both before making a decision? how can you just go on the CLS6, based on the biased opinions of a CL site? buy what would be right for you! .......In the end its up to you! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. DRIVE BOTH extensively, then chose what you like.
I test drove the CLs, and loved it. I didn't get a chance to drive the Accord yet. The reason why I am asking you guys, is because I had such a difficult time deciding. My only problem is the money factor. If I didn't care about the money, I would get the CL without asking anyone. The money plays a big role in my decision.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Banned

I test drove the CLs, and loved it. I didn't get a chance to drive the Accord yet. The reason why I am asking you guys, is because I had such a difficult time deciding. My only problem is the money factor. If I didn't care about the money, I would get the CL without asking anyone. The money plays a big role in my decision.
enjoy your cl then!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

However if you want exclusivity, then go with the accord, because each dealer is only getting 1 this year, so you will be one of the lucky few.
Maybe the 6-Speed Accord will be somewhat rare, but you’re going to see THOUSANDS of "regular" Accords on the roads in the next few years and they’re all gonna look pretty much the same on the outside.

Shawn S
Old 03-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Choice between the CLs 6-speep or accord 6speed

you should be able to get the cl for mucho less then 29k

more like 27,500

do some homework and go dealer whoopin

CL OF COURSE
Old 03-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
In my opinion, it's a choice that's not even close. When you price the two cars out with similar options the prices get really close ... making the choice very easy.

The 6-speed CL-S in a landslide.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Choice between the CLs 6-speep or accord 6speed

Originally posted by BSK181
you should be able to get the cl for mucho less then 29k

more like 27,500

do some homework and go dealer whoopin

CL OF COURSE
Are you talking about the out the door price, or before the destination, taxes, and so on?
Old 03-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sarlacc23
were arent talking about an exotic sports car here, the resale will actually get worse but nice try.

As for the power both 6spds are in same ballpark.
Ummm....in your mind the power is on par....but on the street and strip the extra 20 hp and 20 lbs.of torque at 2000 lower rpms makes a big diff.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Yeah right ! So what dealer is going to let you drive that ONE a month DARLING Accord 6 speed EXTENSIVELY ???????? Talk about contradicting...............................Don't bother, get the CLS .....it's a NO brainer......

Old 03-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Banned

why don't you just test drive them both before making a decision? how can you just go on the CLS6, based on the biased opinions of a CL site? buy what would be right for you! There is much more to a car that meets the eye! for instance, the accord is a lot more nimble/tossable, because of the 300lbs weight difference. I'd go with the acura for the plush interior/space. However if you want exclusivity, then go with the accord, because each dealer is only getting 1 this year, so you will be one of the lucky few. The navi on the accord is also more advanced! Both are about the same in a straight line! 14.5 @99mph. the cls6 has more mods out for it though, even a supercharger option.

In the end its up to you! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. DRIVE BOTH extensively, then chose what you like.
You didn't use exclusivity and Accord in the same sentence. That is about as stupid a statement as has been said in a long time.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

so you cant get the LSD and HIDs plus the autodim mirror costs you extra in an accord?
Old 03-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Way Fast Whitey

The accords rocks for the money, but is fugly
Old 03-07-2003, 01:11 PM
CL 6 speeder

Re: Re: Re: Choice between the CLs 6-speep or accord 6speed

Are you talking about the out the door price, or before the destination, taxes, and so on?

That price would include destination. Taxes and tags depend on what state you live in but are not that much money
Old 03-07-2003, 01:28 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by moomaster_99
You didn't use exclusivity and Accord in the same sentence. That is about as stupid a statement as has been said in a long time.
He is talking about the 6spds and you know it. There are legends all over the place but the 6spd legends are pretty exclusive.

As for a reply to your power comment, stock for stock they are in the same ballpark deny it all you want.

quit being a schmuck for schmucks sake.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Some are going for 40K on ebay! they are going to be VERY rare! if its so easy to get one, why don't you try tracking on down?

argue all you want but the bottom line is this: You all talk about the stick accord like its everywhere and pretty easy to find, but right now, I can go to my local acura dealer and drive away with a cls6 speed at a great(haggled) price. The accord on the other hand would be VERY difficult to find in the state of illinois! Even if I find it, I probably won't be able to afford it because of the LONG ASS list of people willing to pay MARKED UP prices for the car! I mean this year, in the state of illinois, theres going to be like 4 or 5 people that will own one! THATS FUCKING RARE!

BOTTOM LINE: ONE CAR IS NEW AND RED HOT, the other is OLD, and on its last breath! SUE ME :P
Old 03-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

"why don't you try tracking on down?" Then how is one to "DRIVE IT EXTENSIVELY" iF you can't find one ? Gheezzzzzzzzzzzz

Only a MORON would pay 40K for a Honda Accord coupe !
Old 03-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Banned

"why don't you try tracking on down?" Then how is one to "DRIVE IT EXTENSIVELY" iF you can't find one ? Gheezzzzzzzzzzzz
Only a MORON would pay 40K for a Honda Accord coupe !

RICH people buy stuff all the time like that without giving it a second thought! Its not such a foolish buy! It'll hold its value! I can buy it right now for 40K, and sell it on ebay for like 35K in a few months, now hows that for holding your value? try doing that with your CLS6!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Advanced

CL-S 6 MT All the way Ditto!!!!!
looks beter
plus you get better waranty

Quick Reply: Choice between the CLs 6-speep or accord 6speed