Check Engine WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine WTF???

ok so i got my system installed yesterday and last nite i was putting back the back seats and i was working with the radio on but the car wasnt on now i know your not supposed to do that with a system but i was like w/e i was workin on the car for about an hour or so then pulled the car back into the garage this morning im gonna go fill the car up with gas and the battery is dead so i jump it then i notice the check engine light is on and i was like wtf what the hell is that on for? whats the problem here cause it wasnt on yesterday or last nite it jus came on this morning i need input cause i dunno what the hell caused this
Old 05-25-2002, 03:09 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

How many miles do you have???

are you sure it's coming on to let you know it's time for your scheduled maint. 7,500, 15,000, etc......??

DOM
Old 05-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

You jumped the car right? Maybe the computer goes nuts and issues some error codes, have the dealer check it out.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Drifting

cant be mileage i only have like 5100 miles but i think kavex's idea sounds logical

i think service is closed on monday so tues i'll go to the dealer
Old 05-26-2002, 12:17 AM
Ain't No Other...

i remember streeteffectz said that it was normal for the light to come on after you take out the seats because of the srs airbags on the side of the seats....you gotta go to the dealer and tell them that the light came on and act like you dont know nothing about it, then they will just turn it off for you...
Old 05-26-2002, 01:21 AM
I LOVE MY CAR

Originally posted by SinnedTL
i remember streeteffectz said that it was normal for the light to come on after you take out the seats because of the srs airbags on the side of the seats....you gotta go to the dealer and tell them that the light came on and act like you dont know nothing about it, then they will just turn it off for you...
To the best of my knowledge, there's no airbags connected to the BACK seats...

Maybe TL's are different....:P

DOM
Old 05-26-2002, 02:27 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's just an error code, remove the negative wire at the battery, leave it out for a while then put it back in. You will need your radio code.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by SilverKnight
If it's just an error code, remove the negative wire at the battery, leave it out for a while then put it back in. You will need your radio code.
error code??? nuthin is wrong with the radio the check engine light is just on but yea there are no airbags in the back seats
Old 05-26-2002, 12:09 PM
Red X

when i got my nav conversion done, the check engine light was on. i just disconnected the neg. wire to the battery for ten minutes and it was fine. just be sure to re-set your memory seats and radio stations.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:19 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by SinnedTL

Speaking of which, I just had a huge problem with this exact same SRS light situation. I got an inverter installed underneath the front passenger seat but when the seat was put back into place, the SRS light came on. So I took it to the dealer and they told me the passenger side airbag system had been fried because of the power source underneath the seat. They told me it'd be about $1200 to repair everything and said it was not under warranty because of the work that had been done. As I was driving away, I noticed that the SRS light never came back on again. Anyways, I took it to another Acura dealer and they ran the diagnostics and said everything was perfectly fine.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:21 PM
Drifting

ok so check it out the battery is dead when the power line for the system is connected to the battery but when i took the power to the system out the battery worked perfectly fine my dad thinks something must have shorted out could it be that the bar in the trunk touching the magnet of my 6x9 be causing this problem?
Old 05-27-2002, 07:30 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally posted by liquid_x
ok so check it out the battery is dead when the power line for the system is connected to the battery but when i took the power to the system out the battery worked perfectly fine my dad thinks something must have shorted out could it be that the bar in the trunk touching the magnet of my 6x9 be causing this problem?

eh...no...how many damn 1000 watt amps have you got going to that battery?

just hold on to the "Select" + "Reset" buttons til the engine light goes off if you're lazy

You've got a short but it's not because of the tension bar touching your 6x9. Have you got a secure ground? If you grounded your system in the trunk on one of the bolts on that silver cylinder lid, I'd remove it and ground somewhere else. That silver disc-looking thing is the PCM cover. You do not want to ground that puppy out.

btw, if you disconnect your batter, you'll need your radio code because the head unit will forget where it is (meaning, it will think that it's been stolen because the low-voltage current that keeps the memory and where your cd last stopped (that also knows when your CL was built) has been disconnected.)
Old 05-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Drifting

by the way i forgot to mention that when the power source to the system is not connected to the battery the check engine light is gone

im gonna go back to the place i got it installed at and complain like a muthaf**ka
Old 05-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Retired. Not available.

error code??? nuthin is wrong with the radio the check engine light is just on but yea there are no airbags in the back seats

dude, I talked about the error code stored in the ECU, not the radio code Try to disconnect the battery for a while then plug it back in. Maybe you'd save yourself a trip to the stereo shop or the dealer.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:46 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by momentum3.2

just hold on to the "Select" + "Reset" buttons til the engine light goes off if you're lazy

Ummm .... I think that is how you reset the "maintainance required" light, not "check engine" light.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:58 AM
War Eagle!!!

Ummm .... I think that is how you reset the "maintainance required" light, not "check engine" light.

oh yeah...whoops....It's all the same, man! It's all the same!!! :P
Old 05-28-2002, 08:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Check Engine WTF???

ok so i got my system installed yesterday and last nite i was putting back the back seats and i was working with the radio on but the car wasnt on now i know your not supposed to do that with a system but i was like w/e i was workin on the car for about an hour or so then pulled the car back into the garage this morning im gonna go fill the car up with gas and the battery is dead so i jump it then i notice the check engine light is on and i was like wtf what the hell is that on for? whats the problem here cause it wasnt on yesterday or last nite it jus came on this morning i need input cause i dunno what the hell caused this
It's always a good idea to fully charge the battery before using if it's heavily discharged. As you put an enormous strain on the electrical system (alternator/voltage regulator) for the next few days/weeks.

To recharge the battery fully with your alternator from the current state it sounds yours was in, you would have to drive 5+ hours down the highway without stopping.

If it is an emergency, then do it. Otherwise it's always a good idea to recharge with a charger if possible....