car care question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004 | 03:04 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

car care question

I'm a self proclaimed car care expert. I've been detailing for years.

One question I have is do you really think it makes any difference if you apply your wax/polish in a circular motion or if you apply it with a straight back and forth motion.

I've always done it in a circular motion. I believe it does not make a difference. If you have swirls after waxing, you'll have lines instead.

Anyway what do you think?
Old 02-15-2004 | 03:14 PM
Racer

Clay bar work-straight lines......Wax & polish - circular motion always! IMO
Old 02-15-2004 | 03:58 PM
Audi S4 driver

"Squirt a dime size dab of polish on your applicator and rub it into your paint using circular hand motions. Then, go over the same area using a straight back and forth motion on top panels and an up and down motion on side panels. Allow the polish to haze for 20 to 30 minutes. "

-off Zainostore.com
Old 02-15-2004 | 06:33 PM
Racer

Yep and drying it too- back and forth. Or PM nsxnext and ask him as I think he is a professional detailer.
Old 02-15-2004 | 06:44 PM
registered pw

circular. on inconspicuous areas i think i go back and forth
Old 02-15-2004 | 06:44 PM
Still trolling

I apply with an orbital and foam application pad. You can apply the wax on the car in minutes this way and takes all the sore arms out of it.
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:06 PM
Cars are an addiction

Straight Back and Forth.. Been detailing for dealers for a few years. Here is why:

The reason being, is that when in the sun, you see more of the "marks' when waxed in a circular motion. When I say marks, I mean the "swirl marls' and what ever minor scratches you may be adding to the car.

I tested this on a black Porsche. Old but very nice paint. When I waxed in a circular motion, buffed and then put it in the sun, I saw about a 6 inch wide glare of marks. When I did the other side, I only saw about a 1 to 2 inch section of swirl marks. Hard to explain, but the sun reflects off objects that are not in a straight line. I can try and explain better if you need me to do so.

But waxing in a straight line is hard to do, so I only do it when I am working on a dark color car. Most cars that hide swirl marks it really dosent matter..
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CLean

The reason being, is that when in the sun, you see more of the "marks' when waxed in a circular motion.
You shouldn't be waxing in the sun anyways, it should only be done in the shade.
Old 02-15-2004 | 10:07 PM
DC Cruiser

I don't thinik he's waxing in the sun, he just sees the swirl marks after waxing and buffing.

I always use a circular motion, and buff with microfiber towel that leaves very few (if any) swirl marks. Cotton towels, cotton baby diapers and other buffing clothes in my experience always left swirl marks.
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:27 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by suXor
I apply with an orbital and foam application pad. You can apply the wax on the car in minutes this way and takes all the sore arms out of it.
You can burn the pain the process too. I have one but stop using it ever since I got the CL.
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Clay and polish i use a Back and Forth motion

Wax - circular motion

Never had issues with swirls much.
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:40 PM
What, me drive fast?

I have always been a circular guy but I "correct" myself sometimes.

I just bought Zaino as well as Zaino Clay Bar and I am terrified at the idea of using a clay bar. Understand that I am in a townhouse so washing in the "yard" isn't allowed.

Circles seem old school...
Old 02-16-2004 | 11:18 AM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Originally posted by CLean
Straight Back and Forth.. Been detailing for dealers for a few years. Here is why:

The reason being, is that when in the sun, you see more of the "marks' when waxed in a circular motion. When I say marks, I mean the "swirl marls' and what ever minor scratches you may be adding to the car.

I tested this on a black Porsche. Old but very nice paint. When I waxed in a circular motion, buffed and then put it in the sun, I saw about a 6 inch wide glare of marks. When I did the other side, I only saw about a 1 to 2 inch section of swirl marks. Hard to explain, but the sun reflects off objects that are not in a straight line. I can try and explain better if you need me to do so.

But waxing in a straight line is hard to do, so I only do it when I am working on a dark color car. Most cars that hide swirl marks it really dosent matter..
That is what I was looking for.
Old 02-16-2004 | 11:19 AM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Clay and polish i use a Back and Forth motion

Wax - circular motion

Never had issues with swirls much.
Noted
Old 02-16-2004 | 11:19 AM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Originally posted by ChucksTL
Clay bar work-straight lines......Wax & polish - circular motion always! IMO
Noted
Old 02-16-2004 | 01:55 PM
Sweet as Gold

It doesn't really matter. Ive noticed on darker colored cars it's better to use a staright line due to the circular leaving swirl marks...however the circular motion allows the wax to adhere to the paint better and you'll get a better finish. So IMO it's just preference
Old 02-16-2004 | 01:58 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Originally posted by Ant7701
It doesn't really matter. Ive noticed on darker colored cars it's better to use a staright line due to the circular leaving swirl marks...however the circular motion allows the wax to adhere to the paint better and you'll get a better finish. So IMO it's just preference
That's what I was thinking too.

My car is black. I think I will try the back and forth technique when I do my car in March just to see for myself.
Old 02-16-2004 | 02:02 PM
Team Owner

I always WASH & WAX in front-to-back straight lines only.
That way it’s easier to hide the fine scratches in the clearcoat that are pretty much unavoidable on a dark colored car.
They’re easier to hide when you’re applying the polish in the same direction as the scratch.

Shawn S
Old 02-16-2004 | 02:39 PM
Homeless

Originally posted by Shawn S
I always WASH & WAX in front-to-back straight lines only.
That way it’s easier to hide the fine scratches in the clearcoat that are pretty much unavoidable on a dark colored car.
They’re easier to hide when you’re applying the polish in the same direction as the scratch.
I think the straight line application cuts down on the 'halos' or 'cob webs'...and I've got the same thought as Shawn, that this makes a bigger difference on dark cars.

BUT...the only reason you should change is if you're buying a new car, cause if those little swirlies are there, changing now won't do much.

It's the same principle behind scrubbing your windshield with double aught steel wool in an up/down motion to prevent glare.