Car Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Alignment

So my front right tires are always tearing up and wearing down really fast, so I figured the alignment was off.

So I get new tires and then bring it in for an alignment, and the guy hooks it up and comes back 20 min later saying that everything is within Spec within 5 degrees.

But now i don't know what to do since the car drifts left and the tires get chewed up, anyone have any ideas ?????
Old 10-29-2003, 12:50 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Could still be your alignment, could be a bent wheel, could be badly balanced tires...
Did you align it right after buying new tires or are we talking a bit of time passing between the two occurrences? And when you say 5 degrees, that sounds like a lot...
Old 10-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I brought it in right after having new tires put on, watched the guy do the balancing and saw them his 0.00 for the weights.

Bent wheel possible, but the guy said everything with the suspension looked okay..

Originally posted by r10apple
Could still be your alignment, could be a bent wheel, could be badly balanced tires...
Did you align it right after buying new tires or are we talking a bit of time passing between the two occurrences? And when you say 5 degrees, that sounds like a lot...
Old 10-29-2003, 02:01 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5 degrees ..............????? can you post your alignment results?

Jens
Old 10-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Sweet as Gold

Jens beat me to it...hahaha...take it somewhere else cause he don't know what the fu*k he's talking about!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Sweet as Gold

5 degrees is insane!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

oops.

Sorry forgot the . they said +- .5 degrees was the spec and mine was dead set on the half a degree

Originally posted by Jens H.
5 degrees ..............????? can you post your alignment results?

Jens
Old 10-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by NJ_CLS_driver
I brought it in right after having new tires put on, watched the guy do the balancing and saw them his 0.00 for the weights.

Bent wheel possible, but the guy said everything with the suspension looked okay..
Don't be fooled by the 0.00 reading. Tire machines can be set to round to the nearest 1/4 oz (so you can be + or -). The shop I go to has their machine display actual weights required in hundredths of an ounce - Trim weights to get as close as possible. When I asked them about this, they said most shops set to the rounded display to avoid customers questions and to give the appearance of absolute accuracy.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

hmm interesting, thanks for the knowledge

Originally posted by Allout
Don't be fooled by the 0.00 reading. Tire machines can be set to round to the nearest 1/4 oz (so you can be + or -). The shop I go to has their machine display actual weights required in hundredths of an ounce - Trim weights to get as close as possible. When I asked them about this, they said most shops set to the rounded display to avoid customers questions and to give the appearance of absolute accuracy.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Sweet as Gold

yeah but in hundredths of an ounce...or whatever they round to won't cause the problems he's having...And if it was a bent rim then they would'nt balance out. Most likely bad alignment...
Old 10-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's your alignment. I had mine done by Kauffman Tire when I got my new tires and the car pulled to the left. I then took it to Acura to have it re-aligned and they told me it was in spec, car still pulled to the left. I had Acura do the Alignment again and check every square inch of the suspension and stuff. Again they told me it was good, still pulled to the left. Acura then moved moved driver side wheel from the front to the back. Car drives perfect. I am assuming I have bent rim.

Try moving your wheels around and see if it still pulls, that will tell you if it still is an alignment problem or possibly something else.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Sweet as Gold

maybe a belt shift inside the tire itself...pretty common...
Old 10-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Balla on a Budget

How come u have all those mods but no springs?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

All Interior stuff, wasn't sure if the Aftermarket springs were worth it for me ? You think i should ?

Originally posted by ktgumbo
How come u have all those mods but no springs?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I have moves tires around when rotating tires, I tried moving from left side to right on the rims, and had the tires taken off and rebalanced.

But its always the Front Right that the tires wear down super quick on the inside of the wheel.

Originally posted by osclude
I don't think it's your alignment. I had mine done by Kauffman Tire when I got my new tires and the car pulled to the left. I then took it to Acura to have it re-aligned and they told me it was in spec, car still pulled to the left. I had Acura do the Alignment again and check every square inch of the suspension and stuff. Again they told me it was good, still pulled to the left. Acura then moved moved driver side wheel from the front to the back. Car drives perfect. I am assuming I have bent rim.

Try moving your wheels around and see if it still pulls, that will tell you if it still is an alignment problem or possibly something else.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If you swap front tires with each other does the car still pull left? Or does the car now pull right?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by osclude

This could mean a bad tire, too.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Racer

Whenever I go for an alignment, I ALWAYS get the before and after print out. You should learn to read the print out you can understand the numbers. It's the only proof you have whether the job is done right
Old 10-30-2003, 07:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Still pulls left either way.

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
If you swap front tires with each other does the car still pull left? Or does the car now pull right?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah they didnt give me a print out of the results, just verbal

Originally posted by tdtsai
Whenever I go for an alignment, I ALWAYS get the before and after print out. You should learn to read the print out you can understand the numbers. It's the only proof you have whether the job is done right
Old 10-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by NJ_CLS_driver
Still pulls left either way.
Then it's something wrong with the car. You elimated the tires, & rims.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:37 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
yeah but in hundredths of an ounce...or whatever they round to won't cause the problems he's having...And if it was a bent rim then they would'nt balance out. Most likely bad alignment...
Believe it or not, I actually saw the results of my balanced tire on a bent wheel. The reading was fine, but even spinning it by hand showed an obvious wobble...
I still think you have an alignment issue--especially after enunicating it is only the inside, right from tire...
Old 10-30-2003, 09:52 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless it is a significant bend you can probably balance it out .However the real issue here is a pulling condition .I am going to have to guess here as the car is not in front of me but if swapping tires did not change anything then something is bent or the alignment report was incorrect .Have it rechecked at another facility .And get a report in writing this time ,let's have a look at that instead of guessing .

Jens
Old 10-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Racer

This will blow you guys away!

A few years ago I owned a 1987 Ford T-Bird Toubocoupe model. I got brand new high performance Ohtsu Visas 225/60/16's (all four).

The car pulled to the right as soon as I mounted the tires, so right away I limited the problem to either the tires, aligment, etc. I did everything... countless alingments, suspension checks, countless wheel balances, checked with plenty of professional people, and I could never get a clear answer.

One day, about a year and a half later, sitting in front of the car I noticed that the two front tires had the threads poinintg to the left. If fact, all tires were the same. All my tires were actually manufactured to be installed on only the right of left side of the car. The tires were not even unidirectional. This was a first for me! ! ! Actually, I have never heard of a tire manufacturing tire do this. I am pretty sure this was a manufacturing flaw. Something in the engineering diagrams fell through the cracks.

That blew my mind! Since then, I have stayed away from Ohtsus.

I ride on Pirelli Nero Zero's now
Old 10-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Ohtsu Visas
Never heard of them!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Guess i'll take it to the dealer, just hate paying them so much and they give me such a hassle on warranty items like my navi going bad. They only care if its happening at that exact moment.

Originally posted by r10apple
Believe it or not, I actually saw the results of my balanced tire on a bent wheel. The reading was fine, but even spinning it by hand showed an obvious wobble...
I still think you have an alignment issue--especially after enunicating it is only the inside, right from tire...
Old 10-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Unless it is a significant bend you can probably balance it out .However the real issue here is a pulling condition .I am going to have to guess here as the car is not in front of me but if swapping tires did not change anything then something is bent or the alignment report was incorrect .Have it rechecked at another facility .And get a report in writing this time ,let's have a look at that instead of guessing .

Jens
Take Jens advice. He gives us his advice for free and we're lucky to have him. Advice is always rock solid - especially since he's got the inside track on our Acura's.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Back to Four Doors

Jens
That was my story. I had the car aligned TWICE and the tires wore out very quickly. Tried another place (recommended by a friend) and they said the alignment was incorrect. Now the car drives fine and the tires are wearing evenly. I'd try another shop and don't look so hard at what they charge. My last alignment cost me $105 but was worth it because they did it right.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Guys, I appreciate all your Help. I will try a different dealer, and I will request the information
Old 10-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Racer

I'm not sure if this is of any value or not but I had just purchased new tires right before my transmission had to be replaced.

I had taken the car in for one of the service intervals and the tech told me that my alignment was bad because the front tires were getting chewed up. I told them to check it out and the results came back fine (no alignment needed).

But what I noticed was that when I would use the sport shift and try to pass by shifting into 2nd, (used to commute on rural 2-lane roads) that the car would pull hard to one side when I hit the gas (like I had to use both hands to keep the car straight) and a couple of times the tires would chirp (also had this hapen alot when I would pull out into traffic--right before the tranny died. That is where I think the 'chewing up' came from.

But, after the transmission was replaced i never had that problem again. I still have the same tires and they're wearing just fine.

Could it be a torque issue related to the transmission? Jens may have a better idea.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by paulff3
This could mean a bad tire, too.
Ya, that's what I was thinking but I had the tire replaced and same problem.

NJ_CLS_driver take Jens advice an have someone else do an alignment, it will help you narrow down the problem.