Can we stop shitting on Comptech?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 01:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can we stop shitting on Comptech?

Jesus H Christ people why are we fucking shitting on one of the ONLY companies that HAS invested time and money into our car. I am not saying that we should NOT be critical about comptech but let's not rake them against the coals. HOW ABOUT we stop PAPER criticizing the Supercharger and judge when we see it in person? No?
Old 07-28-2001, 01:06 AM
Retired Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eclipse23
ACURA-CL Addict

Member # 255
Rate Member
posted 07-27-2001 11:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus H Christ people why are we fucking shitting on one of the ONLY companies that HAS invested time and money into our car. I am not saying that we should NOT be critical about comptech but let's not rake them against the coals. HOW ABOUT we stop PAPER criticizing the Supercharger and judge when we see it in person? No?
I totally agree with you!
Old 07-28-2001, 01:08 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by eclipse23:
<STRONG>Jesus H Christ people why are we fucking shitting on one of the ONLY companies that HAS invested time and money into our car. I am not saying that we should NOT be critical about comptech but let's not rake them against the coals. HOW ABOUT we stop PAPER criticizing the Supercharger and judge when we see it in person? No?</STRONG>
I'm with you Eclipse. Where are the other companies jumping to supply goodies for our car, Zephyr maybe, and look what you got. I'm glad i got my headers, if i was waiting for someone else to take interest, it might be just before i trade it !! Let's wait until we get final H.P. #S and cost on the S.C. until we judge.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:20 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,181 Likes on 689 Posts
Originally posted by Infamuz:
<STRONG>

I totally agree with you!</STRONG>
Why are we posting his member name and member number?
Oh yeah i didnt realize all the negative Comptech posts tonight when i posted but everyone raves about them. Granted they are one of the only people that make stuff for the CLs but they are way over priced. They have a monopoly type thing and jacking prices because of it. What makes their headers worth $1100 when DC or whatever makes a nice one for under $500 or so? Is the quality and or performance that much better? Doubt it. And whats wrong with the paper things? They arent lying about it and they are professional drivers with such a small margin of improvement. Nothing personal but they are better drivers than almost, if not all the people on this board. It's their job, they should be good at it. So you're not going to squeeze out anymore power than they are. Just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1StGenCL:
<STRONG>

Why are we posting his member name and member number?
Oh yeah i didnt realize all the negative Comptech posts tonight when i posted but everyone raves about them. Granted they are one of the only people that make stuff for the CLs but they are way over priced. They have a monopoly type thing and jacking prices because of it. What makes their headers worth $1100 when DC or whatever makes a nice one for under $500 or so? Is the quality and or performance that much better? Doubt it. And whats wrong with the paper things? They arent lying about it and they are professional drivers with such a small margin of improvement. Nothing personal but they are better drivers than almost, if not all the people on this board. It's their job, they should be good at it. So you're not going to squeeze out anymore power than they are. Just my opinion.</STRONG>
Well there is a fundamental difference between opinions, positive and negative and outright unqualified bashing of a company. I don't think Comptech deserves that. No, comptech DOES NOT have a monopoly on parts, other companies have obviously decided not to make parts for this car. Overpriced? I could also say for every one set of headers they sell for a CLS I bet they sell 10 sets for the integras. It's all about margin and R&D paying for itself. Just my .02
Old 07-28-2001, 02:06 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,181 Likes on 689 Posts
<STRONG>

Well there is a fundamental difference between opinions, positive and negative and outright unqualified bashing of a company. I don't think Comptech deserves that. No, comptech DOES NOT have a monopoly on parts, other companies have obviously decided not to make parts for this car. Overpriced? I could also say for every one set of headers they sell for a CLS I bet they sell 10 sets for the integras. It's all about margin and R&D paying for itself. Just my .02</STRONG>
Sorry really not trying to piss anyone off. Just seems like high prices thats all. Im sorry if i ofended anyone
Old 07-28-2001, 02:12 AM
Retired Post Whore

It's all good man!
Old 07-28-2001, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Does anybody know if headers and or superchargers are available for the Lexus 300 or 400's, or the Audi S cars AND FOR HOW MUCH? Or any other car in the CL price range for that matter.

I'm not saying that Comptech isn't taking some $$$ advantage on their exclusive product line for the CL BUT!, shouldn't we be bashing the other car parts manufacturers for NOT MAKING PRODUCTS FOR THE CL?

Eclipse, you go get them boy!
Old 07-28-2001, 12:24 PM
Instructor

<STRONG>

Well there is a fundamental difference between opinions, positive and negative and outright unqualified bashing of a company. I don't think Comptech deserves that. No, comptech DOES NOT have a monopoly on parts, other companies have obviously decided not to make parts for this car. Overpriced? I could also say for every one set of headers they sell for a CLS I bet they sell 10 sets for the integras. It's all about margin and R&D paying for itself. Just my .02</STRONG>

Agreed. Why would they want to sell headers for the CL-s for $500 also, when the demand is no way near the amount as integra headers. Yeah, maybe they would sell 10 more headers in a 6 month period if they DID drop the price to 500, But.. They do need to pay for the SPECIFIC R&D that went into those CUSTOME MADE HEADERS..

But, I do agree they are too much, and I'll not buy them. But I am not gonna bash them.,,
Old 07-28-2001, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Jayru2:
<STRONG>

They do need to pay for the SPECIFIC R&D that went into those CUSTOME MADE HEADERS..

</STRONG>
My questions is.. how do you know there was specific R&D for the CL? And if you know that there was, then how much was it? As far as I know, the headers for the CL are the IDENTICAL part to the headers for the Accord. As soon as the CL was released, headers were available. It seems like the only R&D involved was taking the Accord headers and seeing if they fit on the TL/CL. Yippee... they did fit! Now let's recoup that R&D cost!!! So, that's what.... 3-4 hours of work?? My point is, I'm not about to "praise" Comptech for making parts for our car. I honestly do appreciate that there are parts available... really, I do. But the ONLY reason they are available is because they fit the Accord as well which is something Comptech can actually make money off of. Believe me guys, if Comptech was going to have any major trouble at all fitting the Accord's SC onto the CL then we would be left high and dry... I guarantee you. And don't mistake my words here as criticism. Comptech is doing what any business should be doing and that's trying to be as profitable as possible. But we have Honda to thank for basing the TL/CL off the Accord. THAT is the reason why we have the limited aftermarket we have - it's not out of the goodness of Comptech's heart.

just my .02
Old 07-28-2001, 01:54 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I guess a lot of us are frustrated with the lack of aftermarketj support our car has got compared to similar models. No matter how much we try to push the aftermarket tuners, they still don't see too much of a market in the "not-so-well" selling CL.

It's easy to do the math here...take the amount of CL's sold in NA, subtract all the folks that are not even planning to tune and you've got a very limited market which might not even cover R&D costs (and nevermind the marketing...)

Simple forumlas, that's all...Even Acura itself does not support us!

Old 07-28-2001, 02:57 PM
Learn to swim.

Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
<STRONG>

My questions is.. how do you know there was specific R&D for the CL? And if you know that there was, then how much was it? As far as I know, the headers for the CL are the IDENTICAL part to the headers for the Accord. As soon as the CL was released, headers were available. It seems like the only R&D involved was taking the Accord headers and seeing if they fit on the TL/CL. Yippee... they did fit! Now let's recoup that R&D cost!!! So, that's what.... 3-4 hours of work?? My point is, I'm not about to "praise" Comptech for making parts for our car. I honestly do appreciate that there are parts available... really, I do. But the ONLY reason they are available is because they fit the Accord as well which is something Comptech can actually make money off of. Believe me guys, if Comptech was going to have any major trouble at all fitting the Accord's SC onto the CL then we would be left high and dry... I guarantee you. And don't mistake my words here as criticism. Comptech is doing what any business should be doing and that's trying to be as profitable as possible. But we have Honda to thank for basing the TL/CL off the Accord. THAT is the reason why we have the limited aftermarket we have - it's not out of the goodness of Comptech's heart.

just my .02</STRONG>
excellent...
Old 07-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 1StGenCL:
<STRONG>
Sorry really not trying to piss anyone off. Just seems like high prices thats all. Im sorry if i ofended anyone</STRONG>
1StGenCL,

Just using your last line for a point.

The gripe about pricing. Fair enough I think if your looking at parts for civics, integras and cars in that price category.

Thanks to DteW and davo-cls I checked out the Millen Motorsports link. Of course you mostly know that there is some tasty stuff on the Rod Millen Motorsport site. Mostly if your a Lexus or Toyota owner that is. But Mazda and Acura stuff (links) can also be found along with Mitsub.

The point is pricing on the cars that compare to ours. Most of the comparable cars to the CL's like the IS300 or slightly older Supra's have lots of goodies like intakes, headers, suspension,....etc, but definitely priced mostly the same or more expensive.. Not to much that is less pricey. Probably due to some of the manufacturers being overseas but not all. What I'm saying is that purchasing mods for cars of comparable values seems to leave the pockets equally empty. Except of course for those Accord/Cl/Tl headers.

ehh?
http://www.rodmillenstore.com/trd/price.htm

And for anybody who is auto-catalogue crazy you might try this:
http://www.roadcatalogs.com/

Rob