Can someone please tell me what is the big deal about the NSX???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Contagious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Beltfed

Actually, Corvettes have probably one of the best resale values out there as far as sports cars are concerned....they hold real strong (due to their popularity).
Uh, you may want to check that out. I have seen lots of C5 vettes selling in the low 20's. They have a good resale value, but not great.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by moomaster_99
[Band that POS Cavalier is still built like a cavalier.. [/B]
Ah, come on, they are rock solid ... My first car was an '83 Cavalier (well second car, didn't like the first one all too well). With 250k+ miles on it woulod still destroy my wife's (girl friend at the time) Pulsar.

Just another story in American muscle whooping up on the imports. Two 11+ second 0 - 60 vehicles going at it.

But I will give credit to that Cavalier, having been driven through an empty drive-in theater at about 60 MPH and being air-bourne half the time. To driving about 20 miles with less than 1 quart oil it always managed to get me where I needed. Plus I could be heard for about a mile away with the missing back-half of an exhaust.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:15 PM
I love my CL-S

import hater
Old 04-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by CCns24
Isn't it past your bedtime sonny? I think I hear mommy calling. Now go get your warm glass of milk and go night-night.....
HAHAH, thats cute. Funny, youll attack my age but I am willing to bet you would bet your life to be 19 again?? Sucks to be an old-fart dont it???
Really good line though. Had me laughing pretty hard.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS
import hater
me?
Old 04-01-2002, 09:17 PM
I love my CL-S

Originally posted by cob3683

HAHAH, thats cute. Funny, youll attack my age but I am willing to bet you would bet your life to be 19 again?? Sucks to be an old-fart dont it???
Really good line though. Had me laughing pretty hard.
how the hell do you know hes an old fart
Old 04-01-2002, 09:17 PM
I love my CL-S

me?
are you??
Old 04-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Contagious

Well, I am not an old fart (only 26)but I do have some smelly ones tonight.....

I am not sure if it was the chicken or the macaroni and cheese...

Ooops, there goes another one.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:21 PM
Contagious

And yes, this is all in good fun. BTW.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Burn some dust here

HAHHA, no. I am not an Import Hater. Why would I be if I drove a CLS???
Old 04-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Burn some dust here

Well, I am not an old fart (only 26)but I do have some smelly ones tonight.....

I am not sure if it was the chicken or the macaroni and cheese...

Ooops, there goes another one.
I am too, just ate 18 wings watching the BBALL game and I think I am gonna be killing my toilet real bad tonight.
THOUGHT ID LET YALL KNOW
Old 04-01-2002, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by eclipse23
Take a Z06 and an NSX and put 200,000 hard miles on those cars and let's see which one holds it's value and is still in one piece. I guarantee the "honda" comes out on top.
I'll take that bet...

But we would need to clarify about being in one piece. Both cars, I would assume, would still be put together and made up of multiple pieces. So the notion of one piece is thrown out the window.

Now which would be in better shape would need to be judged on certain areas. Which has a more durable drivetrain would be one area. IMO, I would suspect the Z06 would be in better shape when it comes to things such as valve seat wear, etc. if equally maintained, due to lower revs. But may have more clutch wear due to higher torque output.

Interior quality would go to the NSX without a doubt.

Major accessory components are a toss up IMO. Every Honda I have owned has had some major component go out. But several of the GM vehicles I have owned haven't had the same items. But which costs less to fix may be a weighing factor.

But when it comes to resale value you really can't compare. The NSX is produced in smaller numbers and cost 50% more.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

but I am willing to bet you would bet your life to be 19 again?? Sucks to be an old-fart dont it???
First let me state that I do recognize and agree with some statements about the NSX being over-priced, your delivery needs serious work though.

But as many would agree 19 suxs. You are still under a shell and without a real outlet of your own. Just be level headed and work hard and in a few years your will see that 19 wasn't too great.

But IMO, I did meet my wife when I was 19 so it can't be all that bad.

Also, do you call your father an 'old fart'?? If said in jest then all is well but I assume you do not know these people well enough to insult them.

Lastly, geez, what part of Aurburn do you live in. Having been there numerous times on business and previously when my brother-in-law went there about 9 years ago and then I had friends go there (long story, but not well accepted to go to Auburn from my area, Tech or GA only, I went to neither) I never saw that many luxury vehicles there that were local. Some frat parties we terrorized though…

Have things changed around there??
Old 04-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Burn some dust here

Scalbert, Are you from GA? Im from ATL/ATHENS (went to HS just south of Athens and parents still live in ATL. I went to school where our lake house is) As far as my "old fart" comments go, they are all in playing. They way they were talking I knew that they were older. Plus, I had to retaliate a little for the cookies and milk statement.
As far as luxury vehicles, YES, things must have changed. I know of at least 4 or 5 different M5's being driven by kids (NOT BSING), a black 911 C4, and there are just tons of BMW's around here. Acutally there are 3 or 4 cl's here with mine being the only S (BRAGGING RIGHTS )
Old 04-01-2002, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Scalbert, Are you from GA?

As far as luxury vehicles, YES, things must have changed. I know of at least 4 or 5 different M5's being driven by kids
Yea, grew up in the NE Cobb area just NW of Atlanta. I'm over in the Athens area occasionally (moreso about 10 years ago wiith friends going to school there). Which brings up an interesting question, a guy from Athens going to Auburn????

Sounds quite a bit different in Auburn nowadays. Have fun...
Old 04-01-2002, 10:00 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure it's been covered already but while the NSX is certainly premium-priced, it has out-lasted all the other Japanese car companies' super-cars that came to America:

Supra
RX-7
300ZX
3000GT

Honestly, I'm not sure what the reason is that the NSX outlasted those cars, because I think the Supra was the nicest of them all, and the RX-7 second. But they all priced themselves out of the market.

Maybe the NSX lasts because it's the Japanese answer to Ferrari - the look, the mid/rear engine, the light weight combined with a good balance. It's main problem is that it's always been under-powered. If they would put a 4.0L V8 into that engine bay there wouldn't be any questioning of its price, or at least a lot less. Even with it's pitiful N/A V6 it still pulls 12-second quarter miles. Imagine what about twice the torque and 1.5-2.0x the horsepower would do to it. And it would be STOCK.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Burn some dust here

Well, Ive lived in 7 different states so far because my dad works for UPS so I transfered alot. My sister and cousin went to AU and I knew I was at the right place after the Florida game last year. BTW, I WAS ON THE GOALPOST (Ive heard, dont remember) Plus I hate UGA, worst fball fans besides UA, (sorry bama people, yall did beat our ass's though) and the UGA campus I think sucks. Too overcrowded and too far spread out. A friend of mine has 5 miles from one class to another, 10 min between.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Understandable, never been a UGA fan myself (not even a Tech fan for that matter)!!!

So your father works for UPS, is he off of 400 on Glen Lake Parkway at their head quaters??

We do some business with UPS with their conveyor control systems at their large hubs... I even worked for them just after HS at the P-Dale hub.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Burn some dust here

No, unfortunately he doesnt work there. He works in IN as the DM up there and comes home as often as he can. Theyre a very good company, I cant work for them because my dad works for them and even though hes retiring soon, I still cant cause I am a stock holder. Sucks, they pay real real well.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Uh, you may want to check that out. I have seen lots of C5 vettes selling in the low 20's. They have a good resale value, but not great.
Very few cars have stellar resale values these days...if its good, I'll take it. Sure there are Vettes in the low $20k's- average condition 97s and very few 98's.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Beltfed

No offense, but I had a 99 Vette and my hunk of shit CL-S has rattles that puts my Vette to shame.

My buddy has a Millenium Yellow 01 coupe and its perfect after several thousand miles...solid as they come.

Again people, we aren't comparing the USDM CLS and the vette. We are comparing the JDM NSX. READ the posts!
Old 04-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata

Again people, we aren't comparing the USDM CLS and the vette. We are comparing the JDM NSX. READ the posts!
I read the posts, just never owned an NSX to compare to the Vette.....but I have a CL, I realize its not an NSX (but still rattles more than my Vette ever did), plus I had the Z51 suspension.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Advanced

20 minute drive and you are so sure to pass judgement on a NSX? Now that's some ignorant generalization!
Old 04-02-2002, 03:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
No, unfortunately he doesnt work there. He works in IN as the DM up there and comes home as often as he can. Theyre a very good company, I cant work for them because my dad works for them and even though hes retiring soon, I still cant cause I am a stock holder. Sucks, they pay real real well.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:25 AM
Burn some dust here

Originally posted by oonowindoo

Few Reasons:
1) Everyone has a mustang
2) Ford salesman are the biggest idiots I have ever met
3) Have you been reading my posts?? QUALITY in the car, CLS is far better then the Shitstang
4) Insurance would be through the roof
5) I hate mustangs
Old 04-02-2002, 08:28 AM
Burn some dust here

Originally posted by superdx
20 minute drive and you are so sure to pass judgement on a NSX? Now that's some ignorant generalization!
If you cannot tell a cars quality in 5 MINUTES youre a fucking idiot. My 5 yr old brother can walk into a car and see if its nice or not on the inside. Step into a Focus and you know its a 15000 car. I stepped into the NSX and the quality inside felt like a 60000 car. After driving it,(yes, you can tell cars in 20 min people, y the hell do you think you take test drives), I believed it wasnt worth the money.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you cannot tell a cars quality in 5 MINUTES youre a fucking idiot. My 5 yr old brother can walk into a car and see if its nice or not on the inside. Step into a Focus and you know its a 15000 car. I stepped into the NSX and the quality inside felt like a 60000 car. After driving it,(yes, you can tell cars in 20 min people, y the hell do you think you take test drives), I believed it wasnt worth the money.
I don't know about you or anyone else but I spend hours researching a car I want to potentially buy and I take 2-3 test drives under different conditions before I buy a car. You cannot tell a car's quality in 5 minutes. What is your definition of quality?
Old 04-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Burn some dust here

Originally posted by eclipse23

I don't know about you or anyone else but I spend hours researching a car I want to potentially buy and I take 2-3 test drives under different conditions before I buy a car. You cannot tell a car's quality in 5 minutes. What is your definition of quality?
That was a bad generalization, sorry. The quality that I have been talking about in the NSX is inside. I have been lucky enough to have driven numerous 90000 automobiles and the interior of the car didnt feel like that price. For me, a car has to have the total package for the price and what the car is trying to come across with. I felt that the NSX should not be worth the 90000. Some people will argue with that and they rightfully should, which is why I am voicing my opinion on this. True, the NSX has a mid-engine, it is hand built, and can HANG with the big boys. But it cant beat them. If the price were lower like it should be, then you would have one hell of a car. I never said it drove bad people, but if I can find a sports car that will beat it for less and has more quality, (exotic or not), that will be my car.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Got BOOST????

k boys, time for me to take a shot at this. in 1991, NSX was the fastest stoping car on the market 0-60. first all aluminum car including chassie and mid mounted motor.It's like driving a front wheel drive car then driving a rear wheel drive car.Totally different car. Totally different driving styles. the mid mounted motor hands compley diffrent too.NSX is not for a flashy guy. Only says Acura in 2 spots(front and back) and NSX in 2 spots(door sill).When u drive by someone that DOESN'T know about cars, They say "what the hell was that!!!!!", "That thing looks like a Lamborgihini". It make people wonder what it is. the point of being Exotic is that there is not many around. I don't see one everyday or even once a month. People with BIG $$$$$$$$ dont show off there money. Does Bill Gates drive around in a porshe or a lamborgihini. No one knows what he drives. He could drive a 1971 pinto and does he give a fuck. NO!!!! He could buy u and ur mother. Acura doesn't need to put stickers or emblems all over the car to say what it is. if u want speed for $$$$$, buy a mustang or camaro and hook the shit out of it, but if u want an Exotic, buy an NSX.

PS, Where do u think all the 2003 six speed CLS got there linkage from(short throw between gears), that's right, NSX!!!!! you have the same shift knob too. so don't dis the NSX.

PSS, Acura hasen't change the body since 1991, I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. that body has worked for 10 years unchanged except for the targa top.

PSSS, A 2002 subauru WRX does a 0-60 faster than a 1988 ferrari. Does that make a ferrari not an exotic?????

1991 Acura silver NSX W/ 16000 miles
Old 04-02-2002, 09:42 AM
I love my CL-S

somebody show this dude BEST MOTORING VIDEOS NOW!!!

YES ....NSX COULD BEAT THE SHIT OUT THE BIG BOYS IN REAL TRACKS!!!
Old 04-02-2002, 09:55 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS
somebody show this dude BEST MOTORING VIDEOS NOW!!!

YES ....NSX COULD BEAT THE SHIT OUT THE BIG BOYS IN REAL TRACKS!!!

NSX took the ferrari 360 modena
Old 04-02-2002, 09:56 AM
Adult Supervision

You guys are really becoming a bunch of reactionary assholes. The guy says that he drove a car; thought it was nice but not as fabulous as everyone seems to make it and that in his opinion it is terribly overpriced.

And you jump down his throat because he: 1) didn't investigate the car for months; 2) drive it 200,000 miles and 3) he is too young to have an opinion. Well fuck you. I'm older than most of you so I guess I'm right and you're wrong. Jesus! Lighten up!

Are there irrational NSX lovers? Yep. There are irrational Mustang lovers, Corvette lovers, IS300 lovers, fukin 1971 Pinto lovers. WHO CARES! If I had 90,000 to spend on a car - I wouldn't buy a NSX either and our own poll certainly didn't rate it at the top.

SO quit being a bunch of gasholes and lighten up!

PS: I make a decision about a car in 15 minutes of sitting in a car and 15 minutes of driving. I read all about it; but don't spend a week getting to know it...
Old 04-02-2002, 10:02 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by MikeS 18
You guys are really becoming a bunch of reactionary assholes. The guy says that he drove a car; thought it was nice but not as fabulous as everyone seems to make it and that in his opinion it is terribly overpriced.

And you jump down his throat because he: 1) didn't investigate the car for months; 2) drive it 200,000 miles and 3) he is too young to have an opinion. Well fuck you. I'm older than most of you so I guess I'm right and you're wrong. Jesus! Lighten up!

Thanks for the tip grandpa
Old 04-02-2002, 10:11 AM
I love my CL-S

YO DUDE...they are just playing and making fun of each other..thats all...read their previous posts if you can
Old 04-02-2002, 10:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are there irrational NSX lovers? Yep. There are irrational Mustang lovers, Corvette lovers, IS300 lovers, fukin 1971 Pinto lovers. WHO CARES! If I had 90,000 to spend on a car - I wouldn't buy a NSX either and our own poll certainly didn't rate it at the top.

PS: I make a decision about a car in 15 minutes of sitting in a car and 15 minutes of driving. I read all about it; but don't spend a week getting to know it...
Don't forget your cane Moses. The "Holier than thou" posts don't look as effective if you don't raise it up above your head and have thunder and lightning go off in the distance.

I don't dislike this guy at all I just want to hear what makes him form his opinion and after some back and forth I now see why he has come to his conclusions.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with ya... But the 1st argument was if it was "exotic" or not. Which it is an exotic. This cannot be argued. But one may choose to argue that they consider it to be "exotic" to themselfs. I personally to not find it to be exotic. But it is a nice car. Not worth the $90k to me until they thow 400hp in it

And after my experience with my CLS your damb straight I'm going on a few test drives before I purchase my next car. This vehicle has been a big learning experience for me. So fine if you can tell a cars fit and finish in 15m. But that doesn't apply to me. I would think a few test drives would be a good idea. In different cars, and at different dealerships.

I have never driven a NSX, but from what I hear its considered to be one of the best handling cars ever made. Not everything is about straight line acceleration. Heh, at least in other countrys besides the US.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Adult Supervision

Originally posted by Zapata

Thanks for the tip grandpa
drive up here and I'll beat the crap out of you with my cane you little shit@!
Old 04-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Oookay, I guess since it's not your money, you don't have to think twice before dropping tens of thousands of dollars on a brand new car Gimme a break, 5 minutes?
Old 04-02-2002, 10:15 AM
I love my CL-S

I am not mad at him at all..but this is just WORNG AND BIASED

quote:

[Bbut come on, it is an Accord compared to any Ferrari or Porsche Turbo (it can hold its own with a normal 911). examples. [/B]
Old 04-02-2002, 10:25 AM
CH1
8th Gear

I heard that when they first came out....selling for 40k.....?

Honda is actually loosing alot of money when they just came out........ They want to try sell them cheaper, and make it affordable.

I remember Dodge Viper was pretty cheap during those days.
like 40k?

and NSX right now is limited production, just like Ferrari, need to wait a bit to get new one. and Yes, I think the reason they boost up their pricing is strictly for economy issues with depreciation.
I have seen those 92-93 NSX, sold out right now around the same price they bought them for.

Is it worth it to buy a new NSX? no of course, but I wouldn't mind buying a 91-94 used......... and probably after 2years.....you can still sell it for around the price you bought it for.

I heard the NEW NSX would be cheaper, no more all alluminum body. and I was told, If you damage any part of the alluminum in your NSX, it will cost alot to get it repair, and your car probably worth like 10k less.

Quick Reply: Can someone please tell me what is the big deal about the NSX???