Camber Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 04:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber Adjustment

I was wondering if anyone on this board has gotten a Camber kit yet on their dropped CLs. Because whenidroped my car with eibachs it needed a camber adjustment REALLY badly. I was warned about this but many people said it was ok if it was just a little messed up but mine came in really bad apparently. So now that i already wasted like 500 on just the springs and install do i really have to spend another freaking 700 just to fix the camber? Cuz the only palce i have checked out is on autocarparts and it shows the prices to be very steep. about 500 for parts and then i know install ive been quoted near 180. I thought fixing camber on regular cars was just about 200 for the entire thing with the products. Also does anyone know if camber really screws up your tires that badly because ive been needing new tires for a while; specially from cornering way too hard for way too long. BUt i really need new tires now since just 2 days ago i try and do this tiny turn right after is tarted raining and i was going about 10 mph only cuz i had to turn into arealy small space and then i just completely spun outa control and almost hit an 18 wheeler. I dunno i think those michelins jsut gotta go. But everything seems so pricey.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Diamond Nicrome Limo Mirror Tint
Undetectable K40 w/t Diffuser
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the comptech springs but the drop was only ~1 inch all the way around so my camber isn't that far off. I rotate my tires regularly and drive it hard to try and even out the wear pattern.
No camber kit for me.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Got some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car
Old 06-28-2001, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Did you get an alignment after the install?
If so, how bad is your camber problem?
My 98 prelude was like that but it never
affected driving. Tires just wore out a little sooner then usual or was it cos I had a turbo kit ^_^

------------------
David Lew
2001 CL-S
Old 06-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Yea i did the allignment afterwards and as far as the camber settings. So far all mechanics who i asked to drop my car told me i needed a camber kit afterwards but I thought didint need to since many of the people on this board didnt, but thats because mostly everyone has the comptechs, and those are not as dropped as the eibachs.
But here are there readings on the camber:
LEFT FRONT: Actual -.5 Before: -.4
Specified Range: -1 - +1
RIGHT FRONT: Actual -.3 Before -.4
Spec. Range: -1 - +1
FRONT: cross Camber: actual -.2 before -.1
spec. range is unknown
LEFT REAR: actual -1.5 before -1.5
Spec Range is -1 - 0
Right REAR: Actual: -1.5 Before -1.5
Spec Range -1 - 0
Now i really have no clue what all the readings were and how accurate they are on the specified range...Does anyone have any input on what i need to do?
All i know is that the mechanics who installed my springs told me i need a cmaber kit and the one who did my allignment said the same. Can anyone please give some input on what i need and if i really need to be spending like 700 on just camber?>

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 05:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
I have the same setup as you. A CL-P with Eibach Pro-Kit installed. I have had the springs installed since last November (about 9 months and +10,000 miles) and don't have any abnormal tirewear. I also still have stock tires and had the springs installed around 5000 miles.

I actually waited about four months before I got the alignment done. They were not able to align the car to exact factory specs, but the were able to get pretty close. Don't get me wrong, my tires seem to be wearing a little fast but nothing that I am concerned about.

Is the extreme tirewear on your car even over all four wheels, or just 1 or 2 of the tires?

I might recomend having your spring install double checked as well as maybe getting another alignment if it has been more than 6 mos.

Otherwise you'll have to spend about $300 for a camber kit.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-P
PIAA 19224
Hiper 9005
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tinted
Old 06-28-2001, 05:26 PM
Instructor

hmm well its only been about 4 months with the spring kit...maybe little less...im losing track of time hihi
the main difference i see is alot of tire wear on the edges of the tire and just because i skidded out really badly the other day im thinking i need something done soon...and i knwo ive driven this car way too hard in the past and its ben forever since the first person told me that my outside of my tires are worn like hell...which is never a good thing..so i think its probably a combination of driving my car too hard on cornering and the camber thing...but if i do end up needing a camber kit...yo uthink its 300 with install and do you have any idea where i can get the kit? thanks alot man.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Eibach's were 1" all around and the comptechs created a slight rake with 1" drop in back but a 1.5" drop up front? Oh, I like buying things for my car, but even I wouldn't be able to justify the camber kit and install.

------------------
'01 Black CL S, Spoiler, Tint,Comptech Headers, Sways, Exhaust& Springs, AEM CAI w/ Bypass,AEM Tru pulleys,Denso Iridium Plugs, aftermarket wood trim kit, V1 hardwired,PIAA Xwhites interior
Old 06-28-2001, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Actually the eibach kit drops alot more than the comptechs.
i got about over 2 inches front and rear.
or near there.
definately alot.
possibly too much but i think if i were to put 17s or 18s on there with low prof tire it will look realy clean but for now i need new tires so idont wreck the car.
does anyone know if its ok to put 225/50 on 16's...i heard it might screw things up cuz 16s are not meant to be low prof tires?

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 06:14 PM
ACME sucks!

I have the Comptechs. The front drop was about 1.25" and the rear was 1.00".

I have about 6000 miles on the springs and can see no uneven wear on the tires.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 06-28-2001, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

AirC,

I don't know diddly about camber problems. I got the Comptechs, but from what you've said about driving habits and taking corners hard, I'd recommend dumping your stock tires. They don't belong on our cars. All-season mush. I got Toyo Proxes T1s 225/45 x17 on stock wheels, and the handling with the springs and tires is extremely better than stock. You won't appreciate what you've accomplished with your Eibachs until you improve the rubber. Price was $182 each with 500 mile test drive, meaning you can take them back if you don't like them.

Kevin
Old 06-28-2001, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Sweet thats cool. yea im really looking into gettin gnew tires but im not sure what size i should be getting on stock rims. Becuase iwant a low profile and im thinking either 225/50 or 205/50 but im afraid it will drop my car way too much and might look really ghetto. I guess ill just have to talk to some professional and see his opinion. BUt it seems like noone has done any camber kits yet. Anyone know if those readings show that i DO really need camber adjustments or do you think the mechanices lied to me? I just really dont know since i do drive my car hard on corners; so i cant tell if its from that or alot from camber problems.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 09:30 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Low Profile you mean low profile tires or a low profile look? 225/50 will not look low profile, that's one thick ass tire

------------------
Dammit, where's my CLS??!@
Old 06-28-2001, 09:39 PM
Instructor

well 205/50 is pretty low profile.
the thickness of the tire is the same as the 225/45
The thickness of the 225/50 is 112.5 mm
while the 205/50 will be 102.5 mm
If you notice on the E36 M3s their fronts come with 225/45 and their tires are101.25 mm
So its still quite low prof.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 09:49 PM
Instructor

post a picture of your car from the front and back

------------------
David Lew
2001 CL-S
Old 06-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Sorry david id love to but no camera or any idea how peopel put pictures straight onto their posts...i know how to from putting it online and linking it but even that im not realy clear on how.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 10:08 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AirC
In looking over you posted specs I would not lose alot of sleep over those rear camber settings.Actual means the final reading the machine took, Before means the reading the machine took prior to any adjustments, Spec Range simply tells what the factory considers allowable.In your case Acura allows a negative camber setting of up to one degree.In your car's case the setting after lowering is at one and a half degrees.This will in time cause the inner edges of your rear tires to wear a bit quicker however with only a half a degree out of spec I would not concern myself.I routinely lower cars and most of them are a bit out of spec in the rear and to date we have not seen any tire wear that worries me.Spend the money on something fun you don't really need that camber kit unless you are a perfectionist and want the setting perfect.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 06-28-2001, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Thank you so much Jens. FInally i hear good news on something. I will definitely be cutting back on fixing the camber...if ever
Now incase ido worry too mcuh i heard its better to jsut rotate my tires more often. Now when you rotate the tires all you do is move the rims from one location to the next right? so all i need is a car jack and im set? IF so, does anyone know whats the order to rotate the tires? Im not sure where each tire will go next. Thanks again everyone.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Custom Front Mesh Grill
Old 06-28-2001, 10:33 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The correct method for Acuras is to rotate the tires front to rear and rears to front.Do not rotate them diagonally.I advise my customers to keep an eye on tire wear and base the rotation schedule on that.When in doubt here go for a rotation every 5000 miles and you should be in good shape.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 06-28-2001, 11:56 PM
Instructor

A friend said what he does is have the tires remounted on the rims so that the more worn out inners are now on the outside....I've never tried it, but he pays to have it done and likes it that way.

------------------
David Lew
2001 CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlew308:
A friend said what he does is have the tires remounted on the rims so that the more worn out inners are now on the outside....I've never tried it, but he pays to have it done and likes it that way.

</font>
Some tires like the Toyo T1S Proxies have a left side and a right side -- they can NOT be swapped in this fashion.

Any of the tires with rim protectors will fall into this category (99% sure).

Do check with the tire maker (I would say dealer, but I now wonder about a few...)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 14 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-29-2001, 03:38 AM
Instructor

Yea ive heard a few tires do have those things...but does our tires even have rim protectors or do all tires come with something? Im thinking of getting some Potenza RE730's on th ecar. I have a few friends who have them and it seems to be perfect...specially at the price... Now are the tires that specify that they are made for a specific side really any difference than the ones that fit all sides? Since each car's camber seems to be different, it doesnt seem like they could really focus so much on just one side...specially if you relaly need the entire tire to be good.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit