Cam for 03 Cl-s type s or mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam for 03 Cl-s type s or mods

Do we have after market cams? Or anything in the engine we can mod for performance ? Besides CTs suPercharger

I'm new to acurazine but have been readin up on everything and haven't really came across anything. Help?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Btw I have an MT Cl with headers and intake
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
search and you will find... theres alot of people that have "BUILD THREADS"
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

Ok will do thanks !
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

I don't think there are any cams for our cars. I think someone was going to make custom cams for himself and a few others at one point but I don't think it ever happened. I haven't looked at a whole lot of build threads so you might come across someone with aftermarket cams.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Ya I read that thread it was a while back and it jus randomly stopped? But ya I'm going to look into it. I jus keep comin across full injectors from mdx and cbrs or something not to much stuff. I also read those unichips suck? Anyone know if they work ? Jus wondering
Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
there is no performance chip for our car...unichip is fake
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
One option is comptech supercharger, or custom turbo or nitrous.

Another option is the 3.5-3.6 liter build.

A third option would be the one I am going with(i think best bang for buck). Get your runners, and manifold ported, bore the tb, p2r tb spacer, plenums or plenum spacers, custom header collectors, 2.5" exhaust.

There are options, they just aren't as easy as they are for other cars who just buy bolt ons.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Seems for years a thread will pop up about having cams made for the CL and a bunch of people will all jump in saying "YEAH I'LL TAKE SOME CAMS!" and then nothing materializes when it comes time to talking money. They all want cams (even though most have no use for them with the mods they're running) but no one wants to put down the money to have them made. Most of those that want cams are the ones that would see a drop in torque and less than a 15HP increase for the hundreds they'd cost and that'd send them running. Plenty of other mods to look at first before considering custom cams.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...Path=5_9_66_73

These aren't really aftermarket but regrinds of the stock ones
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
2003 CL-S 6MT

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Level 2 40 HP seems significant if their percentages are correct. $722 seems a little steep for $500 I would defiantly be in.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
Those prices are definitely steep because you need to send in a core. Not to mention they dont treat the regrinds properly after they are cut, so they dont last that long.

You can run TL-S cams, but you need to make a custom spacer for them to fit and the minimal gains arent worth the money.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Alright thanks guys just wanted to clear that up.

Ill probably do wat brian6 is goin to do but ill research more.

So basically without supercharging it or custom stuff done under the hood there's not much of a choice of afteRmarket for our cars?

I'm not tryin to sound ignorant just trying to learn more.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM

The aftermarket support for the CL, while it has grown over the past year or two due to J swaps, still sucks. Many companies arent willing to devote the time/effort/money to producing parts. When the community (us) try to get a company to manufacture parts, everyone is on board for it, but when it is time to put up the money, everyone backs down.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Alright fer sure I get it. Not to mention there is not a lot of Cls out there
Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Weird

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Those prices are definitely steep because you need to send in a core. Not to mention they dont treat the regrinds properly after they are cut, so they dont last that long.

You can run TL-S cams, but you need to make a custom spacer for them to fit and the minimal gains arent worth the money.
I know you know what you are talking about Civic but I have to contradict you on this one. Wouldn't dream of doing so except for that fact that I've actually Owned and used Bisimoto regrinds before. I drove 45,000 miles on my level 2 Bisimoto f22b2 regrind, and that was after getting the cam used off somebody with unknown mileage.

Most people use shitty oils and have problems with Rocker arm wear, or issues with valve clearance due to poor adjustments of the valvetrain during install.

Now after reading and the success I've had in the past with Bisi's products specifically I'm considering getting a level 1 regrind. He sells the blank core for only $220, making it $1000 for new cams, and the best bang for your buck out of any J series parts.

Almost all the online bashing that happens of the Bisimoto J cams are from people Who never owned a set. Not really very objective is it?

Use RP for your oil and I would say from experience you shouldn't have any problems. That being said each regrind is unique but Bisimoto is well known for his camshaft magic.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM

My words are directly from someone that has installed AND REPLACED worn out Bisi cams. They are iron-nitrate hardened after they are cut (only if they dont meet specs), not oil hardened O2 grade like the OEMs do. I confirmed this with Bisi after the third phone call because the previous two people that answered had no idea what hardening process was used. They also confirmed that the cams are not cut by them, but an outside company - WEB. Do a search and you'll see the issues people have with WEB regrinds.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Weird

I know they aren't re-ground in house. But Bisi uses the same service for his personal cars.

2 reasons premature camshaft wear occurs on regrinds that aren't the the fault of the regrind:

1. Rocker arms are improperly torqued.
2. Larger regrinds generally require a little shimming or grinding to ensure proper seating. Cams that "rub" will wear out in no time regardless of what oil you use.

I just don't see what you seem to have it out so bad against Bisi's stuff. He's not the most amazing guy ever or anything, I am not a gushing fan, but I always preferred NA build vs boost. That makes the cam the most important upgrade for the whole project. Guess how many reputable people put out camshafts for j32a2 or f22b2.
1: Bisi.

I've owned them. 45,000 DD no issues (USED). Are you suggesting I randomly got a decent cam? Who is the guy who installed the regrind on the J series. Who says he didn't make a mistake? Great mechanics make mistakes. Tim Thomas Doesn't save every goal.

Google turns up many more success stories about Bisi than issues. That being said I'm the only one who has used one here. No issues. And trust me I TORTURED that accord every day.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:00 PM

I have nothing against Bisi himself. I love his EF D-series wagon and his Insight. He just happens to be stuck in the crossfire of my hatred towards regrinds.

Get the Bisi cams, put 100k miles on them, and inspect them. If they are still just as good as the day you bought them, Ill take back everything I said about them.

As for me - when I get cams, theyll be billet blanks milled down to my specs. Not regrinds.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:33 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Now,Now, civic.
After 100k any cams will have wear and possible flating at lobes peaks.

The people that are having problems with the regrinds I'm saying it has to do with them not correcting the valvetrain for the cams changed size.
Those who just slap them in without going the extra mile will regret their choices.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 AM

Theres a very big difference between a worn cam and stress cracks. When regrinding cams, the core becomes softer (thus requiring the hardening process). That can also lead to cracking, which has happened with WEB cams.

And I have to stress, I have nothing against Bisi. I respect the guy for the cars that he has built. From what I can tell his customer service is pretty good as well. My problem is with reground camshafts in general.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 08-04-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM

And I have to stress, I have nothing against Bisi. I respect the guy for the cars that he has built. From what I can tell his customer service is pretty good as well. My problem is with reground camshafts in general.
That's right back down before bisi comes to your house, Fro picked out like a crazy man, jumping out his four banger,to kick your skinny A$$.

I don't think re grinds are good for 100-200k in a daily driver either.
They have their place. They give the performance at a cost/reliability.
Those who buy re grinds are the guys who want more now a can not afford to spend.
I dont think anyone upgrading to re grind cams is expecting a high mileage build.
They just want to go faster.

I think I going to do some research about Web because that is who did mine.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Sometimes I really dont understand you.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Weird

Theres a very big difference between a worn cam and stress cracks. When regrinding cams, the core becomes softer (thus requiring the hardening process). That can also lead to cracking, which has happened with WEB cams.

Originally Posted by richardparker
Now,Now, civic.
After 100k any cams will have wear and possible flating at lobes peaks.

The people that are having problems with the regrinds I'm saying it has to do with them not correcting the valvetrain for the cams changed size.
I don't doubt you civic. From your posts around here I know that you know what you are talking about and aren't just some dude who thinks he knows cars. All I'm bringing to the table is a real story about my personal experience with Bisi cams. I know all your doing is the same, relaying what you've learned/experienced. Please don't think I am trying to stir the pot, just I figured my my be valuable as a personal user of the same product for a different car.

Thank you richard for backing me up that often times people installing cams can make mistakes. It is internal work, and not for everybody.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM

I dont think you're stirring the pot. I actually enjoy these debates as it gets more information out there for everyone. Its a win-win.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Weird

I dont think you're stirring the pot. I actually enjoy these debates as it gets more information out there for everyone. Its a win-win.
Good
I know you probably often see people come along who say sh*t just to contradict others. I respect your opinion and don;t want to appear like one of those guys. I guess I just really have had good success with my Bisi cam that I had to stand up and say something on the matter.

Probably by next spring I will be running Bisi's J cams in my car. That's the plan anyways. I/C/H/Ct/E and a tune should help me meet my 265whp goal.
Of course I will have to be careful as this car is my daily driver.

Civic you did a valve train upgrade when you went larger displacement didn't you?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Sometimes I really dont understand you.
My wording or me talking crap about bisi ?
Don't worry man my girl lives with me and she says the same.
I puff tweeds all day,everyday.
The good Sh!t
Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by AcuraSpook
Good
I know you probably often see people come along who say sh*t just to contradict others. I respect your opinion and don;t want to appear like one of those guys. I guess I just really have had good success with my Bisi cam that I had to stand up and say something on the matter.

Probably by next spring I will be running Bisi's J cams in my car. That's the plan anyways. I/C/H/Ct/E and a tune should help me meet my 265whp goal.
Of course I will have to be careful as this car is my daily driver.

Civic you did a valve train upgrade when you went larger displacement didn't you?
Yea, I went with KMS valve springs and retainers. Do you plan on getting the AEM EMS? I don't think the piggy-backs for our car can handle cams (especially since they can't control timing).
Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet CL-S
Do we have after market cams? Or anything in the engine we can mod for performance ? Besides CTs suPercharger

I'm new to acurazine but have been readin up on everything and haven't really came across anything. Help?
http://www.andysautosport.com/acura/...e_performance/
been looking at for a while same lift but change in duration
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Weird

Originally Posted by UA5runner
http://www.andysautosport.com/acura/...e_performance/
been looking at for a while same lift but change in duration
Gude is horrible from what other members experiences were on the accord forums I used to frequent with my old car... Bad gains for the money, a few of them shattered during use....