CAI's

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 03:13 AM
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI's

New guy here. Reading about CAI's and have not found any discussion about the benefits of..... Can someone enlighten me? Maybe point me to a previous discussion?

Horsepower advantage? what? I see that many of you have added a CAI, either the Zephyr or AEM and so it must be something I just have to have.....

'Preciate it!

Silver 2001 CL-S, Comtech Headers
Old 06-13-2001, 03:23 AM
w.t.f., mate?

Not much HP increase, maybe 5-10 HP...but your engine will sound a helluvalot deeper and louder @ VTEC range.

Your only choice now essentially is AEM. Not too hard to decide eh?

------------------
_-Phil-_! (a.k.a. 'Green Box')
2K1 #10,029 Satin Silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia with Navi! Mods : XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~3M Reflective Tint(37%) tint~Hiper Hibrid Plasma "Xenon" road lamps & high-beams~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~Upgraded cupholder ~

Green Box -4- Mod!!

Post whores WILL have our revenge...
Old 06-13-2001, 03:29 AM
Race Director

umm both CAIs are good..umm, i dont hear that much complaing about the Xephyr CAI..
haha

DO NOT GET THE XEPHYR CAI!!!

Get AEM.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

"I come for the Car Talk, but stay for the Ramblings"
Old 06-13-2001, 03:45 AM
I love my CL-S

There are other brand as well, like the weapon R and the Injen's intake. I think AEM has the best intake coz i have it

------------------
01 silver cl-s
AEM CAI red
Piaa 19169
Cannon winter floor mats
35% and 5% tint
Old 06-13-2001, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Ya, get the AEM...trust me.

-=Antero=-

------------------
Silver 2001 CL Type S
stock...
Waiting for CHRIS to give me back my money so i can order a GOOD CAI.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:41 PM
Racer

AEM-CAI makes over 10 dynoed hp. on Integra GSR! Made a prototype for my sons 90' Integra and gained 6-8hp! Am designing and building my own CAI that will run even cooler than AEM!

If you want it done right,do it yourself!
Old 06-13-2001, 09:44 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blazerbob1:
AEM-CAI makes over 10 dynoed hp. on Integra GSR! Made a prototype for my sons 90' Integra and gained 6-8hp! Am designing and building my own CAI that will run even cooler than AEM!

If you want it done right,do it yourself!
</font>
where do you do the bending of the pipe?....designing a custom one is a great idea..

------------------
--&gt; RUVZ
2001 3.2CL Type S - Satin Silver - Polarg M6 roadlamps
Coming soon: Springs, AEM CAI
Old 06-13-2001, 10:17 PM
Drifting

I really like my AEM intake. When VTEC kicks in you really hear the difference. It was my first mod, and I couldnt of picked a better one for the money.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-13-2001, 11:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
I really like my AEM intake. When VTEC kicks in you really hear the difference. It was my first mod, and I couldnt of picked a better one for the money.

Spiro

</font>
Still great for "scaring" marginal drivers...

One thing that is forgotten, on hot days in traffic, there is a lot of heat soak. With the AEM, I notice that the car doesn't feel as sluggish in traffic after a "cattle chute" session. The pipe may get a little warm, but the car gets up and goes much better. The dyno figures were done in "static" conditions.

I don't think the "cold air" part of the intake has ever been properly represented by just the dyno figures; the dyno just represents the bottom-line gains of 8-10 hp. I think there is more gain in city driving. I can't prove it -- just a thought

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-13-2001, 11:16 PM
White Lightning

Definitely get the AEM CAI.....I have it and man I love it everytime I step on the gas it gives this sweet sound like racing. I always do that when someone is standing on the road and it makes them turn their head and they're like whoa. I think its worth the money. Especially for racing.

------------------
NightHawk Black CL-S
Black Interior
Clear Headlights
Nokyo Halogen Bulb Artic White
AEM Cold Air Induction
NaviLess
Now Working to Get Springs
Old 06-13-2001, 11:46 PM
Old Fella

So now we've determined that the AEM is the only game in town. Do you buy direct and self-install? or what?
Old 06-13-2001, 11:50 PM
Old Fella

And.....Are there any downsides to removal of all the OEM stuff? Hoses, lines, boxes, vacuum lines, etc? Just trying to collect all the facts!
Old 06-13-2001, 11:52 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pkane:
So now we've determined that the AEM is the only game in town. Do you buy direct and self-install? or what?</font>
1. Self-install (is possible)
2. Have dealer do it (Keyes will screw it up -- well, at least mine), but others will do a fine job for you.

Buying from a good guy:

e-mail or contact Tim (Snook) at www.autocarparts.com

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 planned
Old 06-13-2001, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

And.....Are there any downsides to removal of all the OEM stuff? Hoses, lines, boxes, vacuum lines, etc? Just trying to collect all the facts!</font>
I kept all of the stock stuff (just in case).

I can't comment one what is hardest or what is a problem or not, but...

The AEM's K&N filter gets a bit wet when the car is washed (not soaked). This has been discussed here, and a number of members have "fixes."

I was looking at the pipe the other day after a car wash, and thought that a rubber ring around the pipe near the lower bend would divert any water running down the pipe, OFF the pipe and away from the K&N filter.

The filter does get a bit wet!

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 planned
Old 06-14-2001, 12:02 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

The install is not so bad. Go to xephyrperformance.com and print out his directions (they are a bit different than ours, but they worked for me [the ones AEM give you suck]). The only hard part is removing the second resonator bolt. That alone took me 30min. with the car jacked up. Don't unhook the stock hoses--just stick them onto the AEM hoses and connect to CAI. A couple of other things to notice: you have to remove a small bracket on the side of the car that no directions mention, and (2) push the filter as far onto the tube as possible b/c it will protect the pipe from the bolt near its end.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Old Fella

Many thanks Eric! My dealer in Socal is Ball Automotive and they claim to have a high performance group. They installed my headers for me and did a good job there, so I'll see what they say about the AEM CAI.

Your wheels.....50 freakin's lbs less than stock. My gawd!

I'm trying to figure out how to get more low to mid range punch in my "S". As you know, the headers added "kapow" at the 4,000 r's and above range..... Listening and learning.....
Old 06-14-2001, 02:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

welcome. i think the aem cai is the way to go. it gives a nice roar above 3500-4000rpm.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:51 AM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

New guy here. Reading about CAI's and have not found any discussion about the benefits of..... Can someone enlighten me? Maybe point me to a previous discussion?

Horsepower advantage? what? I see that many of you have added a CAI, either the Zephyr or AEM and so it must be something I just have to have.....

'Preciate it!

Silver 2001 CL-S, Comtech Headers
</font>
Many people are against the Xephyr CAI because of the company's customer service. The Xephyr CAI is a better deal because for the same money, you get the bypass. Park Ave. Acura in New Jersey (www.parkaveacura.com) sells the Xephyr CAI (limited supply because Xephyr as a company sucks for reasons mentioned above.) If you can get it shipped to you, then you are in luck. You get a good product from a large company that will stand behind what they have sold you.

By the way, you will notice in my sig that I do not have a CAI. I'm not planning on getting one either. I am just telling you what I know based on the information I have gathered here since March.

Good luck... And welcome to the board!

------------------
SidVicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Wheel Locks | Front Plate (Mounted in the Trunk) | Mobil 1 | Polarg M6 | K&N Filter (Mounted in the Trunk 'til the old one wears out) | Comptech Sways (on the way) | Sungard Tint (30% Sides, 20% Back) | DOM 11/2000 |

1992 Ford Ranger XLT in Silver | F-150 Springs | 3" Body Lift | K&N Filter | Flowmaster Exhaust |

{insert "Green Box 4 Mod!" gif here}
Old 06-14-2001, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Especially on cold days. Im pretty sure nobody dynoed their car when it was 50 degrees inside =) I love CAI.

Spiro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Still great for "scaring" marginal drivers...

One thing that is forgotten, on hot days in traffic, there is a lot of heat soak. With the AEM, I notice that the car doesn't feel as sluggish in traffic after a "cattle chute" session. The pipe may get a little warm, but the car gets up and goes much better. The dyno figures were done in "static" conditions.

I don't think the "cold air" part of the intake has ever been properly represented by just the dyno figures; the dyno just represents the bottom-line gains of 8-10 hp. I think there is more gain in city driving. I can't prove it -- just a thought

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-23-2001, 12:32 AM
Old Fella

AEM CAI ordered just now. Now the anticipation and wait..... doing my own install. Hope to H_ _ _ _ that it goes OK!

Thanks for all the advice on this board!
Old 06-23-2001, 01:33 PM
on bin laden

PKane,

Shoot me an email if you need help with the install ... i had one of the first CAI's and I've helped a few people get thru it ...

~Fotis

AEM CAI ordered just now. Now the anticipation and wait..... doing my own install. Hope to H_ _ _ _ that it goes OK!

Thanks for all the advice on this board!
</font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Neuspeed Front Lower Tie Bar (Waiting to be installed)
*Neuspeed Front Upper Tie Bar (On it's way)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Proud member of the scratched rim club---
Old 07-01-2001, 12:10 AM
Old Fella

Originally posted by fbazakos:
<STRONG>PKane,

Shoot me an email if you need help with the install ... i had one of the first CAI's and I've helped a few people get thru it ...

~Fotis

Fotis,

Many thanks for the offer of help with the install. I think I did it all by my lonesome! Man oh man, AEM's directions are so bad it is ridiculous! I just thought it through and put it together and do I feel a differnce? Hell yes!!! VTEC kicks now!

</STRONG>
:p
Old 07-01-2001, 12:15 AM
Old Fella

Originally posted by JZ:
<STRONG>The install is not so bad. Go to xephyrperformance.com and print out his directions (they are a bit different than ours, but they worked for me [the ones AEM give you suck]). The only hard part is removing the second resonator bolt. That alone took me 30min. with the car jacked up. Don't unhook the stock hoses--just stick them onto the AEM hoses and connect to CAI. A couple of other things to notice: you have to remove a small bracket on the side of the car that no directions mention, and (2) push the filter as far onto the tube as possible b/c it will protect the pipe from the bolt near its end.

</STRONG>
Well JZ, it's a done deal. CAI installed after a couple of hours of staring at it and thinkin' etc. But, It's done and it is sweet! I did download Xephyr's installation instructions and, quite frankly, without those, I would have been lost! They are far better than AEM's which are useless. Anyway, I learned a hell of a lot about my engine from doing this little job, so thanks to all who provided their advice, input and experience!!!

p
Old 07-01-2001, 12:27 AM
on bin laden

congrats ... now update your signature

Originally posted by pkane:
<STRONG>

Well JZ, it's a done deal. CAI installed after a couple of hours of staring at it and thinkin' etc. But, It's done and it is sweet! I did download Xephyr's installation instructions and, quite frankly, without those, I would have been lost! They are far better than AEM's which are useless. Anyway, I learned a hell of a lot about my engine from doing this little job, so thanks to all who provided their advice, input and experience!!!

p</STRONG>
Old 07-01-2001, 12:45 AM
do it yourself, !

I'll throw in a vote for Injen. Honestly, I don't see a need for the bypass valve with the heat shield they have on their site so I made one of my own. Works great and I even compared it to a TL-S with an AEM, and it is equivalent, if not a bit better design (the filter does not get wet because there is a "drip off" point. And that Rubber sleeve that comes with the stock box is useful too.

jeremy
Old 07-01-2001, 03:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the CAI, I think you made the right choice, but I am Biass Enjoy your new sound, just remember, keep ehr in 2nd!