CAI vs. ram air??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI vs. ram air??

hello,..i'm new to this board...i'm picking up my cl on tues..(sleepless nights). I was wondering what experiences people have had with the cai vs the short ram air set up. i need to decide which to get...i live in vancouver so it rains alot here. which one is more protected from the rain? which sound better?. my previous car (spyder gst) had a ram and it sounded great...will i expect the same results??? thanks...
Old 02-25-2001, 05:12 PM
STi

Get the CAI with bypass, the bypass will prevent from hydrolocking. Also, CAI yeild more horsepower because it sucks cold air outside from the engine bay where as the shortie will inhale hot temp coming from the engine which we all know decrease performance.As for sound a lot of people told me that shortie is louder and i think i agree cause my 90 Si had AEM short this thing roar when it on WOT.

------------------

1990Si
2001CL-S
Old 02-25-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Weapon R short ram intake, which I did notice a decent power gain. Two things about this short ram Loud as hell in VTEC and it has a loud humming noise at idle.

------------------
01 CL-S Satin Silver
Eibach Pro-Kit, Brushed aluminum dash kit, 5%tint all round, Spoiler, Weapon R intake
Old 02-25-2001, 09:21 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Heh heh heh...another Vancouverite on the board...seems like the CL-S is gaining popularity in our fair city...all I have to say is you're gonna love this car. If you're interested in the AEM CAI with bypass valve let me know...perhaps we can get a discount if buying at the same time. Oh yeah, invest in lowering springs and ComptechUSA anti-sway bars...it'll dramatically improve handling. And, if you don't want any door dings, stay away from parking lots with side-by-side parking stalls. I've come to the realization that Vancouver/Richmond drivers are notoriously disrespectful of other people's cars...especially the CL-S...gggrrr!!! Aleady, I have 3 dings on the driver's side and 6 on the passenger side. And, those are the ones I can see!!! There are probably some more that I can't pick out(silver hides door dings really well...err...almost lol). Sorry for the long post =)
Old 02-25-2001, 09:30 PM
Advanced

hey satin slayer.....nice...where did you get your parts from? any recomendations??....also has anyone seen pics of the brushed aluminum dash kit installed? thanks....
Old 02-25-2001, 09:33 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Satin Slayer:
[B]Heh heh heh...another Vancouverite on the board...seems like the CL-S is gaining popularity in our fair city...all I have to say is you're gonna love this car. If you're interested in the AEM CAI with bypass valve let me know...perhaps we can get a discount if buying at the same time

nice...do you know of a place to get parts from?..i wanna get a cai asap...also has anyone seen pics of the aluminum dash kit installed? thanks...

Old 02-25-2001, 10:41 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

I usually go to Technik Motor Werks to get my parts and install. Now, they are a little bit more expensive than other car shops, but you do get what you pay for. They have certified technicians/mechanics that will do the job right so you don't have to worry about them screwing up your car. They can pretty much order in any part...and, they are one of the few, if not the only shop in Vancouver that can order from ComptechUSA since it's not a popular brand here. Here's an idea of their prices for my mods:

H&R sport springs + install + wheel alignment...$500 CAD
(same price for the race springs if you want your car really low)

ComptechUSA front and rear sway bars + install...$705 CAD

All the above prices final(taxes already included)

ps. they have a dyno on-site if you're ever interested in tuning, etc.

[This message has been edited by Satin Slayer (edited 02-25-2001).]
Old 02-25-2001, 10:55 PM
Advanced

how much was the cai?...
what should i get....ingen, AEM, xypher, weapon-r, cai or cai?.....thanx
Old 02-25-2001, 10:58 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

I have seen pics of the brushed aluminum dash kit installed if you're talking about that thing you glue onto your dash and center console. It looks really cheap(in my personal opinion). It doesn't completely cover the dash...it leaves a tiny 1/8" edge of your original dash uncovered...looks especially bad around the cupholder lid and stereo.
Old 02-25-2001, 11:00 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

I've been waiting all this time for the AEM CAI...I'll call them first thing Monday morning and post the price on here for you.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
look up Tim at www.autocarparts.com
Best prices and customer service in the world.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by crump:
how much was the cai?...
what should i get....ingen, AEM, xypher, weapon-r, cai or cai?.....thanx
</font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car