CAI and rainy season ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI and rainy season ?'s

Hey all...

I didnt put the bypass valve back on after replacing the AEM CAI after the accident. Since its starting to rain...do I have much to worry about unless I go thru a puddle that submerges the filter? Can it take just normal driving thru rain?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I got an icebox.

I probly would put a bypass on for peace of mind though.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

I have the AEM V2 Intake and so far i've been driving in normal rain and nothing happened yet. I don't have a bypass valve btw because of the fact that it won't fit on the v2 and aem suggest not to.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:04 AM
friend of fast

i've driven in some medium to heavy rain recently and the filter got a little wet. no problems though. just think about how long your "tube" (hehe) is...and how far water has to travel to hit your engine. it will most likely evaporate due to the heat. i'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:07 AM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yea my bypass broke... and it just started raining here in LA.

i havent been driving my car too much in the rain.. i mean the consequences arent worth it.. u flood ur engine and u are fawked..

when u see a puddle !!!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
You should be fine. When I had my AEM I didn't have the valve. FL rains are VERY bad. I didn't have any problems.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
While the engine is running and you're driving you really dont have anything to worry about with a CAI. Even during heavy rain and even if the filter gets a little wet it shouldn't matter. The car has the ability to "digest" a small amount of water anyways. Its only if the filter becomes completely submerged in water or if the filter becomes so soaked that it is pulling in a lot of water. During the rain while you're moving its not likely that either will happen.

However, when you park your car for extended periods of time in the rain you need to check to make sure none of the rain is getting into the engine bay and soaking the filter. If this happens then you'd probably want to get something to protect the filter like the InJen intake heat shield, which should fit most CAI filters. http://www.cardomain.com/item/INJHS5000P

Or just find the source of how the water is getting to your filter ... Most likely in the case of the CL, you're not going to have this problem. But the easy way to check is to wash your car and spray water at the hood ... see if the filter is wet at all afterwards.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 AM

Sweet...Cool thanks guys for the heads up.

LiQice...I'll look into the heat shield...but I've wahed my car a few times already and no issues...

It would seem the location of the filter since protected by the cover on the bottom and being behind the driving lights, that I shouldnt have anything to worry about unless, like LiQice mentioned, it gets completely submerged. Just worried....haha...hopefully I can get a beater soon.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:33 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I've never had a problem and I didn't have a fender liner through 3 winters. The chances of it happening are very very slim if you use common sense.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

The people who say you’re totally safe and will never have a problem are lying.
Also, the people who say your engine will explode if you drive through a puddle don’t know what they’re talking about either.

I ran WITH a bypass for about 3-years because I was paranoid.
I’ve learned that a bypass valve can do MORE damage then water if parts are inhaled into the engine.
I have since removed the bypass valve and gone with a straight pipe on my car.
(Xephyr Intake)

The bottom line is use common sense.
Depending on how low your car is and what intake you’re running it’s gonna take 7-8 inches deep of water to cause a problem.
You shouldn’t be driving through something like that anyway.
Even if the filter gets wet and draws in a little water you’ll be OK.
It has to entirely fill one or two cylinders while the engine is running to blow.

Shawn S
Old 10-18-2004, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Also, the people who say your engine will explode if you drive through a puddle don’t know what they’re talking about either.

I’ve learned that a bypass valve can do MORE damage then water if parts are inhaled into the engine.
(Xephyr Intake)

Depending on how low your car is and what intake you’re running it’s gonna take 7-8 inches deep of water to cause a problem.
It has to entirely fill one or two cylinders while the engine is running to blow.

Shawn S

Cool...thanks Shawn
Old 10-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Blown LS6!!

I live in Seattle. It rains here...often. I had the AEM on the car for 4 years and NEVER had a problem. People frightened me into getting the bypass and I regretted buying the thing since the day I put it on. I honestly do not believe it does anything except rob you of a couple HP. You will have NO problems without it unless, like you said, you submerge the entire thing in a lake.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

(Xephyr Intake)

Shawn S
Question about the bypass parts damaging the engine, does the company (aem or whatever) cover damage done to your engine by their product, as long as it was installed correctly?

Also I think i passed you on schoenersville rd this morning Shawn. Unless there is someone else around with a blue CL with chrome rims and gold emblems.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Registered Big Dog

Originally Posted by CLpower
I've never had a problem and I didn't have a fender liner through 3 winters. The chances of it happening are very very slim if you use common sense.
winter in Huntington Beach (lol its 75 degrees)
Old 10-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Banned

Why risk killing your engine by using a CAI?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Registered Big Dog

Originally Posted by chabanais
Why risk killing your engine by using a CAI?
ur not risking as much w/ a bypass ...

and for people that live in southern california, how often does it rain (rarely)
Old 10-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Drifting

yeah i really do not see it as a risk to the engine, as long as it is a quality cai and that it is installed properly.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CLean B
ur not risking as much w/ a bypass ...

and for people that live in southern california, how often does it rain (rarely)
The problem with a bypass is that if you don't remove the bypass fairly often (like once a month to be really safe) and oil it up/check for rot, there's a chance that the bypass will rot and fall apart. If this happens, there is no filter or anything to protect the engine from inhaling whatever pieces fall off of the bypass. This happened to a member here at Acura-CL and forced the throttle body to stay in the open position, effectively creating a car that wouldn't stop. Extremely dangerous, and definitely not worthwhile to protect you from the chance of hydrolock. I hope those of you that have a bypass are properly maintaining it.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Registered Big Dog

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
The problem with a bypass is that if you don't remove the bypass fairly often (like once a month to be really safe) and oil it up/check for rot, there's a chance that the bypass will rot and fall apart. If this happens, there is no filter or anything to protect the engine from inhaling whatever pieces fall off of the bypass. This happened to a member here at Acura-CL and forced the throttle body to stay in the open position, effectively creating a car that wouldn't stop. Extremely dangerous, and definitely not worthwhile to protect you from the chance of hydrolock. I hope those of you that have a bypass are properly maintaining it.

funny you should say that... my bypass just broke!!! and i had to eliminate the entire thing... now i just have CAI w/o bypass.... but the bypass broke @ the rubber sealer portion that connected to the piping. and the bypass was only 3 months old, so i dont see it as me not maintaining it
Old 10-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rock2534
Also I think i passed you on schoenersville rd this morning Shawn. Unless there is someone else around with a blue CL with chrome rims and gold emblems.
Yes, that was me. I saw you…
About 7:15AM right ???
Old 10-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Drifting

Yes, that was me. I saw you…
About 7:15AM right ???
Yeah thats it. i didn't see you til i was almost passed you though. i was already in a bad mood cuz i had to go pick this fool up i work with, all out of my way.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Drifting

your ride looked nice and clean
Old 10-18-2004, 04:09 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Hearing that AEM VTEC roar makes that TINY chance of having a problem (usually due to carelessness) all the worthwhile!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:05 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
My friend was the head of R&D at AEM for awhile, he said the bypass is worthless
Old 10-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
My other car has a CAI that is nearly 4 inches off the ground, it has been through Texas, Seattle, and California rain, if you drive carefully and don't ford through rivers, you'll be fine. Heck, in Seattle I went through nearly 8 inch deep roads with no problem. Just don't WOT.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:35 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i had my injen cai for 3 years on a dropped car, no probs
Old 10-20-2004, 06:33 PM

hmmm. i have a cai with the bypass cause when it rains here, we have easily 1-2 foot of water at some locations where I have to drive through. Now that im reading this post, how do i "take care" of the bypass value? I had the dealer put it on so i dont really know a thing about it. I actually never even understood how the bypass works...
Old 10-20-2004, 07:24 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by CLean B
winter in Huntington Beach (lol its 75 degrees)
Its not Hawaii..it gets PLENTY Chilly ...