Cadillc with 13.5 liters and 16 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 07:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cadillac with 13.5 liters and 16 cylinders

The current C&D reports that Caddilac is working on a 16 cylinder engine that will be at least 13.5 liters large and make at least 700 HP! Wow! The sedan will employ the latest technologies from GM including the 4 wheel steering from one of their trucks. This as an answer to VW with their extravogant future engines and cars with Bugatti, etc. Go GM! Show those Europeans
Old 07-07-2002, 07:58 PM
My Avator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heh. that kinda engine would give you what, about 2 miles per gallon. i think they are wasting there time with that one
Old 07-07-2002, 08:41 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

13.5 L ?????????????????????????????
16 Cylinders????????????????????????

REDICULOUS!

def not a production car, just a show car so GM can say "hey look at what i can do!"
Old 07-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Definitely not competition for VW. More like the exemplification of the american motto "Bigger is Better."

700hp from a 16 cylinder 13.5liter engine? Thats very laughable. No engineering innovations, just brute strength. I'll bet its even pushrod. Ha!
Old 07-07-2002, 08:58 PM
__

Gavrill, sell your CLS and go buy that Malibu you have been dreaming of! We can tell you are a GM fan.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why bother posting such a far-fetched, silly, domestic-related post here?
Old 07-07-2002, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by JRock

Ya, I saw it too.
Seems kinda outdated to bring back the V16...
But <big>BIG</big> is in
Old 07-07-2002, 09:46 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

I got soemthing BIG that's IN!!!!!!

I say if GM makes something like that, it still won't be reliable. What were you thinking, if it gets bigger it gets better? It's still a GM made auto, which means it's one step below a FORD and two steps above a DAEWOO!!!!!

Lets see. With 13.5 liters, I'd say at every stoplight, your car will drink a gallon of gas, so when you drive on the freeway, you burn a gallon every 3 miles or so. The gas tank alone woul dhave to be mounted on the side like an 18 wheelers!
Old 07-07-2002, 09:48 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

Ya, I saw it too.
Seems kinda outdated to bring back the V16...
But <big>BIG</big> is in
Havent you heard?!

BIG is the new small.
I hear hyundai is working on a V24 to put into the Accent. It'll be 20 L and put out 137 hp. no more I-4's in OUR economy cars only big awesome brute strength.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LMFAO,

1st it's GM going after BMW with the CTS, now it's their going to give Bugatti competition....

your killing me, stop man! this stuff is too funny....

If i remember you changed your mind when they released the engines specs for the CTS. Which were overstated last time... heh

More GM marketing at it's finest!

GM: "hey over here, hey, hey over here! look at me! look at me!!!!!!"

back to reality here. It would be nice to see some pics of the new vette body style. Wonder when the final design pictures will be released.

That 4 wheel steering is really cool though. I hope they do use the technology in some of their other vehicles.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by dajuice27
.... It's still a GM made auto, which means it's one step below a FORD and two steps above a DAEWOO!!!!!

Easy there... it so happens that there is a caddy AND a ford in my garage....muuuuhahahahha
Old 07-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Banned

Are they resurreacting their 80s technology where they shut off cylinders under part throttle. That was phat.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
Gavrill, sell your CLS and go buy that Malibu you have been dreaming of! We can tell you are a GM fan.
Sure. That's exactly that I had in mind.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Excuse me?
Old 07-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by dajuice27
I got soemthing BIG that's IN!!!!!!

I say if GM makes something like that, it still won't be reliable. What were you thinking, if it gets bigger it gets better? It's still a GM made auto, which means it's one step below a FORD and two steps above a DAEWOO!!!!!

Yet GM was 3rd after Toyota and Honda in the initial quality rating by JG Power and Associates for 2002. I dont know what some of you read.

GM does not equal junk any more folks.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by SiGGy
LMFAO,

1st it's GM going after BMW with the CTS, now it's their going to give Bugatti competition....

your killing me, stop man! this stuff is too funny....

If i remember you changed your mind when they released the engines specs for the CTS. Which were overstated last time... heh

More GM marketing at it's finest!

GM: "hey over here, hey, hey over here! look at me! look at me!!!!!!"

You really have a tendency to put words in my mouth Siggy. I post what I read. I changed my mind? Like it is me who comes up with these numbers and stories. When the rumor for a 400 HP CTSi came out, I posted it here. It was not my opinion. Then, more info came in about the car and it said 350 HP from a 5,7 liter V8.

Why do you talk like that? LIke I am sitting here trying to take sides. I dont care who comes with what as long as they are all fighting with each other so we get the benefit.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gavriil

You really have a tendency to put words in my mouth Siggy. I post what I read. I changed my mind? Like it is me who comes up with these numbers and stories. When the rumor for a 400 HP CTSi came out, I posted it here. It was not my opinion. Then, more info came in about the car and it said 350 HP from a 5,7 liter V8.

Why do you talk like that? LIke I am sitting here trying to take sides. I dont care who comes with what as long as they are all fighting with each other so we get the benefit.
NO, I didn't, mabye you don't realize what you say when your so busy copy and pasting...

My point being is you were all like "Ohh it'll compete with the M5" when the rumor mill said 400hp.

Then when they said 340hp, your said it was a "M3 competitor"

yes/no?

Ya, I agree it's totally to our advante to have them make new things. Actually if you can find anything on the new vette that would be nice

In your exuberance sometimes you will find you change your tune a little bit.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Pull_T
Are they resurreacting their 80s technology where they shut off cylinders under part throttle. That was phat.
I would not be surprised if they used that tech in this engine. It would make a lot of sense.

By the way the article said that GM is going back to its roots when in 1920-1930 was making V16 engines.

Finally, I cant even start imagining how much torque would such a monster produce. I am guessing 900 lb-ft. If it did make that much say at 3K rpm, that would translate in 514 HP at 3000 rpm. Wow.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

NO, I didn't, mabye you don't realize what you say when your so busy copy and pasting...

My point being is you were all like "Ohh it'll compete with the M5" when the rumor mill said 400hp.

Then when they said 340hp, your said it was a "M3 competitor"

yes/no?

Ya, I agree it's totally to our advante to have them make new things. Actually if you can find anything on the new vette that would be nice
You know it is hopeless arguing with you. I really dont know what you are talking about. Obviously you have a unique way of reading my posts.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You know it is hopeless arguing with you. I really dont know what you are talking about. Obviously you have a unique way of reading my posts.
"GM says they are after BMW and they will beat them! THe M5 specificaly. Strong words ah? I believe them folks. "

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...t=cadillac+CTS

"Originally posted by cusdaddy

Yes, he posted it before, but it was only a rumor at that time. Now it has been confirmed.

I believe the last rumor was the Z06 engine though - I think this would be more of a M3 competitor even though it's closer in size to the 5 series.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gavrill: Correct and agreed."

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...t=cadillac+CTS

What did I misunderstand?

Ya, thats what I thought....

I remember discussing both CTS vs. M3 and M5. I understand your a GM fan, but you always put them on the top. I dunno why your denying it.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am not a GM fan, I dont know where you are getting that from. Just because there are more articles out there about GM that I post that does not mean that I am a GM fan. There is simply a lot of GM activity out there lately. Which is partially my point about GM.

What I think of GM is that it can be much better off in the next 5 years and it can go against the best from Europe.

If I had to buy a car now though, it would not have been any GM car. Including the CTS.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

I'd rather have the Saleen S7 from the current C&D
Old 07-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
My first car was a 99 malibu, don't be knockin it man

BTW i hated that car, still a good first car tho
Old 07-07-2002, 11:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am not a GM fan, I dont know where you are getting that from. Just because there are more articles out there about GM that I post that does not mean that I am a GM fan. There is simply a lot of GM activity out there lately. Which is partially my point about GM.

What I think of GM is that it can be much better off in the next 5 years and it can go against the best from Europe.

If I had to buy a car now though, it would not have been any GM car. Including the CTS.
Cool...

Since you do seem to be able to dig up some good articles for GM vehicles. Post some stuff on the C6 (next gen) corvette. I keep hearing good things about it. Like to get some more info.

Be nice to see a real pic of the final version. But I guess since it's 2 years away mabye it's not done yet. Be nice to get some non-rumor info on it. Even browsing the corvette fourms I didn't find too much.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:56 PM
An ETC Owner

I dont think Cadillac will EVER make another V16, V16 maybe like in the CIEN, with 750hp. BTW, All Northstar Cadillacs have systems to shut down cylinders, similar to the V 4-6-8. But these are not like ones from the 468, just things like that it can be driven with NO COOLANT for 50 miles, with NO ENGINE DAMAGE. Yes Cadillac, is getting into the "swing" of things, but I am an avid Cadillac fan, but GM needs to do what they do best, make their own cretions, and not try to make counters like catera and cts, unless the car can hold up! ie..CTSi (LS1 or 6 powered). Cadillac has the most powerful FWD productin cars in the world. And the trannies to back them up... I think the import vs domestic thing is dumb. Becuse impirts ARE different cars then domestics! I am not saying either is better/worse.

Just wait till Northstars go RWD..

I am talking my dad into a CLS 6spd..what is the general "feeling" of this car. I cant let him get a 330! Thanks!

alex
Old 07-07-2002, 11:59 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys remember the commercial with the guy revving his hot car and you can watch the gas gauge go down with each rev?

Yeah, that one.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:09 AM
An ETC Owner

oops It is a V-12 in the cien
Old 07-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Cool...

Since you do seem to be able to dig up some good articles for GM vehicles. Post some stuff on the C6 (next gen) corvette. I keep hearing good things about it. Like to get some more info.

Be nice to see a real pic of the final version. But I guess since it's 2 years away mabye it's not done yet. Be nice to get some non-rumor info on it. Even browsing the corvette fourms I didn't find too much.
GM is very tightlipped about how the C6 will look. There is some info on some of the specs like the strong possibility that the car will be shorter to be more attractive to the European market.

The HP sounds like it will go up to 400HP for the base model and then at least another 100HP for the Z06. The latest GM technology will apply in the car in all matters like the new semi-active suspension in the 50th anniversary car.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:47 AM
Safety Car

You guys remember the commercial with the guy revving his hot car and you can watch the gas gauge go down with each rev?

Yeah, that one.
I do... gas Co. commercial, right?

Hey, that was even before everyone had a gigantic SUV :P
Old 07-08-2002, 06:10 AM
Race Director

13.5 litres is a joke.

i dont like any domestic cars, none...maybe a couple of those SUV's..but thats it.

my favorite domestic car, is the Hummer/H2...thats it.

domestic cars just feel cheap to me..

anyways, 13.5 litres is a joke to the boke.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:12 AM
Casual Observer

A word in gavriil's defense:

gavriil has been taking a small amount of heat for GM posts and 'switching sides' and all kids of weird stuff, but here's my .02.

I know that there are a lot of threads from gavriil, I know most of them are not about the CL, and I know most of them are straight from auto-mags and news sources...

BUT

I LIKE getting the morning book report on what's going on in the auto industry. Most of the stuff he's bringing is deep development stuff and is at least a year or two from production, and a lot of it is stuff that relates to general ideas being kicked around by the various car manufacturers. Look, it took the 350Z years to go from basic idea, to proto, and through development and they are still not in showrooms. The process takes a long time and there are always changes mid-stream to either the target, the design, the engine, or whether the project is even going to be finished.

I don't have time to read all the mags, but I like knowing what's going on out there.

Props to gavriil
Old 07-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Keep up the good work Gav ...

If I had to wait for Motor Trend to update their "Future Watch" I'd go crazy ...
Old 07-08-2002, 12:16 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Gav, just wanted to let you know another person on this board appreciates you providing us with the scoop on what's going on in the automotive world!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks guys for the good words.

What fascinates me is what is next. If you ask the CEO of Ferrari which is the Ferrari ever, his answer will be "the next one", "the one that is on the drawing board right now".

That is how I am thinking of cars. It is mostly the technology behind automobiles that fascinates me. The technology that makes them cheaper, faster, safer, better, more efficient and effective on what they do.

I am also fascinated by the economics and financial matters of the industry. Which is a relevant point about my personal opinions about GM and the fact that I think that they can give the Europeans a run for their money, etc.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
13.5 L ?????????????????????????????
16 Cylinders????????????????????????

REDICULOUS!

def not a production car, just a show car so GM can say "hey look at what i can do!"
Per C&D Mag, this car will be production. I just read the article myself. The car may weigh 5000 lb, its as long as a Surburban as well.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by SilverBullet

The car may weigh 5000 lb, its as long as a Surburban as well.
Imagine
Old 07-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally posted by BNut
Gav, just wanted to let you know another person on this board appreciates you providing us with the scoop on what's going on in the automotive world!
Yah me too gav. I really appreciated the news flash you posted everytime. Whether its the european car news flash or domestic news flash, its all informative. I don't know why these guys get all so offended or angry about your post. I somehow feel your post is pretty open minded, not leaning towards any side. The comments you make about competiting with Bugatti or whatever are just adjective that would describe and put this information into perspective.

good job !
Old 07-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by SilverBullet

its as long as a Surburban as well.
I think it said that it will be 7 inches shorter than the Suburban.

By the way, there was a photo with the article and what I saw I liked. It looked pretty good.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by skyline

Yah me too gav. I really appreciated the news flash you posted everytime. Whether its the european car news flash or domestic news flash, its all informative. I don't know why these guys get all so offended or angry about your post. I somehow feel your post is pretty open minded, not leaning towards any side. The comments you make about competiting with Bugatti or whatever are just adjective that would describe and put this information into perspective.

good job !
Thanks skyline.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

I was looking at the photo again, did anyone notice the door handles on it? How would those work. Caddy is coming up with some bold designs, gotta give 'em that!

I see the Eldorado is going away... one of my personal fav's too...
I used to think about getting one in Triple Black because that looks so tight... then I realized I'm still in my 20's...

Quick Reply: Cadillc with 13.5 liters and 16 cylinders