Cables, Chains and Acura Care (Comment from Jens?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cables, Chains and Acura Care (Comment from Jens?)

I called Acura Care just to ask them about the installing(not installing) cables or chains in or CL Type S.

The guy at Acura Care said, "you can install cable devices on a CL... you can NOT install cables or chains on a CL-S".

So, I asked him what to do when the CHP says that you need chains. I said, "What the heck would you do if your were up in the mountains and needed to get home." He said that he had been inundated with calls from people -- due to the East coast weather and wondered what people would do as well. He finally said to check with my dealer. Go figure.

So, Acura Care says NO CABLES OR CHAINS for the CLS, but CL-P can have cables.

I don't need to head to the snow, but I had a number of people comment on how they would never buy the car because of this issue.

ISSUE 2 -- breakin oil:

Acura care *and* the Keyes dealer insist that Honda/Acura put "regular" oil in for breakin. I asked for clarification: was it non-detergent, detergent, etc. Both the dealer and Acura Care said the oil is regular multi-weight oil.

In the "old" days, doing a rebuild would require a break in with non-detergent etc.

Comments please...

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-06-2001, 10:35 PM
on bin laden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dealer told me there was special oil ... but i changed it at 500 miles a few more quick changes, and then it was synthetic....

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Acura Winter Mats
*Mudguards
*Mobile 1 Synthetic
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 03-06-2001, 11:04 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have in all honesty no idea about chains on any of our cars.I have never tried using them nor have I ever seen any of our customers try them.I suppose as long as they fit properly and do not hit any part of the car I guess you could use them ,however I would rather see you get a good set of winter tires.As far as the oil goes it is to the best of my knowledge that there is a "break in" oil installed at the factory and that per a conversation with a factory engineer that they would like to see at least 3500 miles on it before it is changed.The specifics of this "breakin" oil have never been made clear to me but in light of the fact that the gentlemen I spoke with works directly for Acura/Honda I tend to believe him.As far as synthetics go the question I have is "why bother?" the stuff is terribly expensive,assuming you change your oil every 3000 to 4000 miles you are simply throwing money away.Unless your car specifically calls for a synthetic or you have seriously modified your engine(turbos etc.)there is just no need to blow the money.I service cars all day long I never seen any difference in the way cars function that are lubricated with this stuff despite all the hype associated with it.Anyway just my ten cents.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-06-2001, 11:09 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Ericl:
I told you to read the manual: "No chains of any kind on the CL Type S !"

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-06-2001, 11:17 PM
Suzuka Master

As to the oil -- I would trust your answer over what I got.

I don't want to put chains on the car. And I would put 16" wheels and snow tires on the car if I was driving back east or even in the hills.

Here is the point... The CHP doesn't care how traction worthy or safe the car is. They have "rules" here in CA for snow conditions. In certain conditions they mandate the use of cables or chains *regardless* of the type of tire or drive system.

So, here is a scenario. I drive up to Arrowhead on a non-snowy day. Then, some snow comes down. I then want to return to the lower elevations, but there are gates with officers "demanding" to see chains or cables on the car to be able to proceed. So, that mean that I (or someone else) with a great set of Blizzacks *and* VSA (or 4 wheel drive) would be forced to turn around and be stuck until conditions cleared.

That is why I think this question bears further investigation.

Finally, I am putting on low mileage, so I want to move to Mobil-1, but want to make sure that the engine is truly "broken-in". I've always used the Mobil-1 (since they came out with it) and don't mind paying a lot for lube. (I belive in clean fluids for the car -- end of soapbox rap.)

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-06-2001, 11:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t know how the rules in California are, but in PA we have what are called “Snow Emergency Routes” which are designated with RED and WHITE signs.

When the city declares a “Snow Emergency”, if you drive on those roads you need either chains OR Snow Tires.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-07-2001, 12:07 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
Ericl:
I told you to read the manual: "No chains of any kind on the CL Type S !"

</font>
Yes, I read the manual (Thanks). That is why I called Acura Care.

I do not have attention deficit disorder.

I am simply asking what does Acura expect people to do if you need to pass between point A and point B and the POLICE say you must have cables?

I think I'll change to a new topic: CA snow folks -- what do ya do :>

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon