Buying my first mod...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Buying my first mod...

Damn...you guys are a bad influence on me...
When I purchased the CL-S, I vowed not to modify it in any way since I thought it was a pretty good car to start with already...but, after reading the raving reviews and hype about performance improvements, I couldn't resist...The Comptech Ice-Box is on order...!

Let's hope I didn't get myself into a slippery slope of spending...heh.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:50 PM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phish...whatever

yer hooked...1 mod will lead to another and another and another

just accept it and go all out!!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Gee...thanks for the reassurance Scooter!

Dumb question for a noob at car modifying but, I'm assuming that the AEM CAI and Comptech Icebox are more or less comparable, right? Same basic purpose and more-or-less same results?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:12 PM
whoXwanXsum

your right ma man.

i'm about to start myself!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
good for you, sounds like the icebox is the way to go.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first one is on order, too...Cusco STB. Not exactly gonna make her faster, but it's a start. And I think headers are right around the corner, too. And an AEM CAI. And wheels and tires. And springs and sways. I'm becoming a little kid in a candy store lately...buy...buy...buy!!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter
phish...whatever

yer hooked...1 mod will lead to another and another and another

just accept it and go all out!!!!
It's so true.. when I started on the boards years ago I didn't know what an intake was. Well, I found out and installed one on my CL. Once I sold that and got my TL, there were more mods available... so I just wanted more and more!! LOL... it's so addicting.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Another mod that I want more than headers (which are supposedly the next logical choice after the CAI install) right now is better breaks...If my budget wasn't so tight, I could go for some Brembos or something equivalent.

As well, does anyone have a "RPM-controller" (not sure if I got the name right)--it's this gadget you add to your car which can adjust when VTEC kicks in?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

APEXi: VAFC: Vtec Air Fuel Controller. Minimal gains few HP if dyno tuned.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
APEXi: VAFC: Vtec Air Fuel Controller. Minimal gains few HP if dyno tuned.
So, basically it is not worth the price?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

ask Scalbert or Astroboy.. on lightly moded CLS ( bolt-ons) not worth it, on Turboed CLS yeah... helpful in addition to booster controller.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

and you’re next mod shall be: HEADERS

if your looking for HP that is
Old 02-25-2003, 04:21 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Re: Buying my first mod...

Originally posted by Yumchah
When I purchased the CL-S, I vowed not to modify it in any way since I thought it was a pretty good car to start with already...
nice try....I fell for it too.

your question regarding the differences between Comtech Ice-box and AEM CAI: I believe the Ice-Box dynoed w/ higher numbers. I'll let the owners speak up.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Buying my first mod...

Originally posted by chikai
nice try....I fell for it too.

your question regarding the differences between Comtech Ice-box and AEM CAI: I believe the Ice-Box dynoed w/ higher numbers. I'll let the owners speak up.
Woohoo! I bought the right CAI then!
Old 02-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Drifting

It's always starts with one thing...then it goes downhill from there
Old 02-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Banned

Comptech Ice box period make that your first mod and you have taken a giant step from stock believe me. Thank me later just get it and then tell me later.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:00 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

lou where in ny are u and can u see the ice box intake ...just like the AEM and can u hear it .... like the AEM or no
Old 02-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Banned

Didn't I speak to you when I was selling the the AEM what happen? You know who I am remember you never called me back to confirm Im glad you got the AEM been there done that...... Ice box is better.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

until someone can PROVE the worthy of the comptech ice box

I still think the AEM CAI is the best intake in the market!

sidemarker
Old 02-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

you should have invested in sways or springs

that will get you the most out of your money too!

sidemarker
Old 02-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by sidemarker
you should have invested in sways or springs

that will get you the most out of your money too!

sidemarker
Thanks for the input sidemarker...However, sways and springs cost a lot more than CAIs, no?

Baby steps. BABY steps, guys! I can't build a supercar over night!
Old 02-25-2003, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the input sidemarker...However, sways and springs cost a lot more than CAIs, no?

Baby steps. BABY steps, guys! I can't build a supercar over night!
true they are a little bit more then the comptech ice box you purchased but i just want you to have a good experience with your mod.

intake is great but its hard to measure the output of performance without a dyno or running at the track.

i hope it performs to your expectations

sidemarker
Old 02-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

true they are a little bit more then the comptech ice box you purchased but i just want you to have a good experience with your mod.

intake is great but its hard to measure the output of performance without a dyno or running at the track.

i hope it performs to your expectations

sidemarker
Thanks!
One question about springs...I keep getting the impression that they will make your ride VERY bumpy. Therefore, as a person living in one of the more snowy parts of Canada, wouldn't springs make winter driving kinda unpleasant? And don't springs only benefit you on turns and twisties?

BTW, another dumb noob car modifying question: What do sways do?
Old 02-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks!
One question about springs...I keep getting the impression that they will make your ride VERY bumpy. Therefore, as a person living in one of the more snowy parts of Canada, wouldn't springs make winter driving kinda unpleasant? And don't springs only benefit you on turns and twisties?

BTW, another dumb noob car modifying question: What do sways do?
for example

if you get the comptech springs it will benefit it 2 ways.

first your cl-s will look 10 times better because you lose the huge wheel gap in the front.

second, your car will handle better. but the price of better performance and looks is the sacrafice in ride quality. but with the comptech springs you wont notice it too much.

the one thing i reccomend about springs is to go ahead and upgrade the struts/shocks because you will eventually have to do so. that will bring the cost up more but definetely worth it!

sway bars

getting thicker and bigger sways will reduce body roll. the car will definetely improve handling and this is one mod that you will feel right away!

sidemarker
Old 02-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

for example

if you get the comptech springs it will benefit it 2 ways.

first your cl-s will look 10 times better because you lose the huge wheel gap in the front.

second, your car will handle better. but the price of better performance and looks is the sacrafice in ride quality. but with the comptech springs you wont notice it too much.

the one thing i reccomend about springs is to go ahead and upgrade the struts/shocks because you will eventually have to do so. that will bring the cost up more but definetely worth it!

sway bars

getting thicker and bigger sways will reduce body roll. the car will definetely improve handling and this is one mod that you will feel right away!

sidemarker
Thanks sidemarker! Another question if I may then: how much did you pay for upgrading your springs, shocks, and struts?
Old 02-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

addiction

Yeap, Mods are addicting...
for me, it started with simple bulb replacement, now...CAI, Exhausts, Sparks..next is headers then teins....titanium stb on its way....duuude...

help us all
Old 02-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks sidemarker! Another question if I may then: how much did you pay for upgrading your springs, shocks, and struts?
ok this depends on several things.

sways- comptech is your best bet. they run about $300-350 but i got mine used for $200

springs- comptech has a nice drop. but some people dont like the rake look but i cant tell new is about 250 but you could get these used for 150. i paid about 120 used for mine

struts/shocks. going to cost you the most. you can spend anywhere from 300-600 bucks! the cheapest would be the tokico blues. they are not adjustable so you can not tune them to how stiff or soft you want them to be. i have the tokico illuminas which are 5 way adjustables and i paid 350 on ebay for them i believe they retail 450 for the set. Next is the koni yellows. probably the favorite for our cars. they are infinite adjustable but they run about 600 bucks for the set.

imo used springs are a good investment because they never go bad!

expect install cost for the springs/strut/shocks to be around 150-300 depending where you take your car.

i also got the neuspeed strut tower bar to complement the sway bars.

all in all i spent about $900 for a complete suspension upgrade.

i think if you were to get all new parts you are looking at about $1500 installed!

is it worth it? well i did springs/shocks/struts first and the car handled better but i felt i lost too much of the nice smooth ride. but after a while you dont feel it as much.

when i added the sways then i definteley noticed a loss of ride quality. the car drives pretty good on the highway but going over speed bumps you have to go slower. also you will feel more of the road and cabin noise will go up a little bit.

the neuspeed strut tower bar completed the whole set up!

i think bottom line it all depends on what you are looking for. i suggest you try to meet up with someone on this board with springs or sways and see if you like them. i think they are worth it!

sidemarker
Old 02-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: addiction

Originally posted by RaptorCLS
Yeap, Mods are addicting...
for me, it started with simple bulb replacement, now...CAI, Exhausts, Sparks..next is headers then teins....titanium stb on its way....duuude...

help us all
Yeah! You guys are all BAD INFLUENCES! My Mommy told me to stay away from people like you guys!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator

ok this depends on several things.

sways- comptech is your best bet. they run about $300-350 but i got mine used for $200

springs- comptech has a nice drop. but some people dont like the rake look but i cant tell new is about 250 but you could get these used for 150. i paid about 120 used for mine

struts/shocks. going to cost you the most. you can spend anywhere from 300-600 bucks! the cheapest would be the tokico blues. they are not adjustable so you can not tune them to how stiff or soft you want them to be. i have the tokico illuminas which are 5 way adjustables and i paid 350 on ebay for them i believe they retail 450 for the set. Next is the koni yellows. probably the favorite for our cars. they are infinite adjustable but they run about 600 bucks for the set.

imo used springs are a good investment because they never go bad!

expect install cost for the springs/strut/shocks to be around 150-300 depending where you take your car.

i also got the neuspeed strut tower bar to complement the sway bars.

all in all i spent about $900 for a complete suspension upgrade.

i think if you were to get all new parts you are looking at about $1500 installed!

is it worth it? well i did springs/shocks/struts first and the car handled better but i felt i lost too much of the nice smooth ride. but after a while you dont feel it as much.

when i added the sways then i definteley noticed a loss of ride quality. the car drives pretty good on the highway but going over speed bumps you have to go slower. also you will feel more of the road and cabin noise will go up a little bit.

the neuspeed strut tower bar completed the whole set up!

i think bottom line it all depends on what you are looking for. i suggest you try to meet up with someone on this board with springs or sways and see if you like them. i think they are worth it!

sidemarker
Thanks again for your input, sidemarker! The ride quality is indeed an issue...however, maybe I'll take it a step at a time and work in Comptech springs first (the struts and shocks can come later, right????)...BTW, although I think dropped cars do look nice, it's just not my thing to have my car lowered to the point that it can't go over speed bumps! Is the drop with the springs going to lower my car dramatically? Because, I have noted a prominent forum member's (forget his name) car who's drop is a little too extreme for my tastes (I have nothing against his car's look, but just not my cup of tea! So, no flames please)...
Old 02-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks again for your input, sidemarker! The ride quality is indeed an issue...however, maybe I'll take it a step at a time and work in Comptech springs first (the struts and shocks can come later, right????)...BTW, although I think dropped cars do look nice, it's just not my thing to have my car lowered to the point that it can't go over speed bumps! Is the drop with the springs going to lower my car dramatically? Because, I have noted a prominent forum member's (forget his name) car who's drop is a little too extreme for my tastes (I have nothing against his car's look, but just not my cup of tea! So, no flames please)...
i didnt mean to confuse you

with the comptech springs you wont have any problems with speed bumps. its just with added struts and shocks you want to take them a little slower because it will be hard on your butt!

but you will have to be a little bit more cautious with steep drive ways!

i have not scraped the bottom of my bumper(yet) after 9 months with springs and i have drove through some really steep drive ways!

the comptech springs is a perfect drop. not too low and it get rid of the 4x4 look of the stock cl.

at first the car will feel tigher when you turn. less body roll and almost like a go kart feeling. but as time progresses it catches up and you just want to mod more and more and go stiffer and stiffer until your car eventually drives like a go kart

sidemarker
Old 02-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow...that was a fast reply! What do you do? Live on this board (joke)?!??

Anyhow, how much would the springs drop my car by (from wheel to wheel-well)? 1 inch? 0.5 inch?

As well, I've just gone through some of the posts about the Comptech Iceboxes...Hmmmm...maybe I should get AEM to be on the safe side???? Am I missing something here? My knowledge of car mechanics is definitely wanting, but I do notice what everyone is concerned about when they look at the Comptech's structure...

I'm not trying to beat a dead issue here as no one on this forum has done a dyno yet with the Icebox. However, I am wondering what are the possibilities of the Icebox outperforming the AEM BECAUSE of the potential limits in its design...? Because if everyone is just concerned that the Comptech is unlikely to BEAT the AEM but it is probably going to get the SAME result, I'll keep my order. However, if it seems doubtful for it to even come close the AEM, I DO have a problem with that...Thoughts? Sidemarker? Anyone?
Old 02-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Suzuka Master

well as far the comptech ice box goes, its still relatively new for our cars so only time will tell whether or not it will out perform the aem cai??

i may jump ships but im waiting to see if the comptech ice box does indeed outperforms aem/injens cai...

the comptech springs drop the front 1.25 and the rear 1 inch

sidemarker
Old 02-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Using AEM and Injen...the main thing sucks is cleaning the fiter. It's a big inconvience. I can see how the Comptech IB would be much easier.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by peiqinglong
Using AEM and Injen...the main thing sucks is cleaning the fiter. It's a big inconvience. I can see how the Comptech IB would be much easier.
How often do you have to clean the filter on the AEM CAI?
Old 02-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Buying my first mod...

Damn...you guys are a bad influence on me...
When I purchased the CL-S, I vowed not to modify it in any way since I thought it was a pretty good car to start with already...but, after reading the raving reviews and hype about performance improvements, I couldn't resist...The Comptech Ice-Box is on order...!

Let's hope I didn't get myself into a slippery slope of spending...heh.
Car Modification 101

A. Decide in which order you want to proceed in the three categories; straight-line speed, twisties, or appearance.
B. List every modification available in that category
C. Decide on brand name and specific parts on that list
D. Figure out a way to get them all on your car
E. Move on to the next category and repeat steps B, C, D, and E
F. When all three categories are done, find a new car and do it again!
Old 02-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Stick with the Ice Box, and don't look back.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:35 PM
Drifting

I believe Scooter and Shawn S posted pics of their filter after like 7500 or so miles and it was dirty like crazy already. I did mine at about 13,000 and it was dirty!
Old 02-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Drifting

I believe Scooter and Shawn S posted pics of their filter after like 7500 or so miles and it was dirty like crazy already. I did mine at about 13,000 and it was dirty!
Old 02-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Buying my first mod...

Originally posted by ModAddict
Car Modification 101

A. Decide in which order you want to proceed in the three categories; straight-line speed, twisties, or appearance.
B. List every modification available in that category
C. Decide on brand name and specific parts on that list
D. Figure out a way to get them all on your car
E. Move on to the next category and repeat steps B, C, D, and E
F. When all three categories are done, find a new car and do it again!
Where do brakes fall in?

Quick Reply: Buying my first mod...