Buying E55 AMG from Houston -- FLOOD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 09:26 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying E55 AMG from Houston -- FLOOD?

Hey, found a 2001 E55 AMG at a Houston dealership for a relatively "EXCELLENT" price (compared to marked up and sales taxed prices here in California) ... but I recall HUGE floods during the summer there. I'm talking waters that could've been parted by Moses here.

Did the summer flood effect any of the local Houston dealerships in ANY way or form? Can anyone from the area or with knowledge about this issue reply here? I really need clarification!

I can have an appointment with a certified MB starmark but will this help? The carfax report came back clean and there's no flood damage reported ... but I'm worried that I'll be purchasing a Benz that was once submerged in 4 feet of water.

THANKS MUCH.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:29 PM
Powered By HONDA

run its vin number from carfax.com. it will show all its history.it is being flood.it will show and what is the price for the car anyway?
Old 12-09-2001, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Word of caution with Carfax...

I ran my Accord through Carfax and it came out clean with no accidents. Well, that car had 2 accidents and both had police reports on them...
Old 12-09-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro

If the price is too good to be true, then it probably is

Just think of the car like this, but with more water. This car had water in the dash, after 2+ more hours of rain. Smelled like burning electrics the next morning. It is an M5, btw.

Here is the interior of one stripped down. Look at all electrics that need to be replaced, I wouldn't want to fight potential gremlins.

this was in Houston, btw. I have uglier pics
Old 12-09-2001, 10:46 PM
Powered By HONDA

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
Word of caution with Carfax...

I ran my Accord through Carfax and it came out clean with no accidents. Well, that car had 2 accidents and both had police reports on them...
u know why it does not show in carfax.com?because it is fixed by private party which means owner...only accidents reported to the insurance company will be show in carfax.com.or it is totally loss
Old 12-09-2001, 11:23 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Damn, I was afraid of all this ...

If I take it to a certified MB dealer for a full inspection, will this suffice? What kind of direct or residual damage can occur with prolonged exposure (or rather, submersion) to flood waters?

Were car dealerships stricken by the waters? And in general, how did they deal with all this? I was just hoping that the lower price was due current economic woes and the introduction of 2002 models.

BTW, the price for the 2001 E55 AMG with under 20K miles is a tad bit over $55K ...

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro

Originally posted by PillsburyChoboy
Damn, I was afraid of all this ...

If I take it to a certified MB dealer for a full inspection, will this suffice? What kind of direct or residual damage can occur with prolonged exposure (or rather, submersion) to flood waters?

Were car dealerships stricken by the waters? And in general, how did they deal with all this? I was just hoping that the lower price was due current economic woes and the introduction of 2002 models.

BTW, the price for the 2001 E55 AMG with under 20K miles is a tad bit over $55K ...

Thanks again for all your help.
Theoretically, if it was fixed properly, there should be no problems. But I would be concerned about damage that wasn't found. I don't know if any MB dealerships went under, but I don't think so. There were some others that flooded. Advantage BMW downtown flooded, downtown was hit pretty hard. Water damage can be hard to detect and can get into every part of the car.

there are some flooded cars here for sale http://autosource-online.com/Photo_frame.htm
Old 12-10-2001, 12:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Type S : you are wrong. I reported both accidents to the police and the car was repaired by Burien Honda, WA. Both bills were over $2K and paid by my insurance company...
Old 12-10-2001, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

I would also consider if you'll ever be able to sell it; others that shop for a AMG would probably not even think about buying one that has had flood damage. Sooooo the overall cost of the car for you will be much higher. Now if the cost of the car was dirt cheap and you plan on keeping it then go for it.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
Type S : you are wrong. I reported both accidents to the police and the car was repaired by Burien Honda, WA. Both bills were over $2K and paid by my insurance company...
Like he said, reported to insurance company.. So how is he wrong?
Old 12-10-2001, 09:18 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Just ask.

Legally they have to tell you.

Don't know if they will... but they should.

If they say some shit like "not that WE KNOW of" walk away.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

If the car checks out from the inspection, & they tell you it's fine, & carfax says nothing, & you get it from a real car dealer, then your covered. I wouldn't worry about it. Hey if it has problems, that's what a warranty is for. If it turns out to be a flooded car, then you can have legal action against the selling dealer, carfax, the MB inspection etc.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Okay. I reread the post and I thought that Type S was saying that my car was fixed by a private party. I am guessing he means the Beemer and not my car....
Old 12-10-2001, 10:49 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by soopa
Just ask.

Legally they have to tell you.

Don't know if they will... but they should.

If they say some shit like "not that WE KNOW of" walk away.
What soopa said. The have to tell you. It would be on the car's title as a salvage/flood.

Salvage cars are fine, if you do your own work or have a shop you trust, and don't mind the risks involved.

I don't think there is such a thing as an "EXCELLENT" price on a MB AMG (in perfect form).
Old 12-10-2001, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Bluto

They have to tell you. It would be on the car's title as a salvage/flood.

I’ve seen reports where flood damaged cars are passed around through several states to cover the damage.
Not all states report this kind of history and it can be “lost” in the shuffle after several title transfers.

I would think a quality inspection at a certified MB dealer should know what to look for.

Shawn S
Old 12-10-2001, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you are buying from a Mercedes dealer and it is a Certified pre-owned car, I would be comfortable buying the car from them.

Mercedes and Even Acura wont sell any car that has been in any accident as a certified pre-owned car, I doubt they would try to sell a flooded car as a certified pre-owned. Their checks are pretty extensive and thorough.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:22 PM
Ain't No Other...

If the thing has 20K or over on the odometer for little over 55K, I believe that is reasonable...doesn't seem like a flood damaged car at that price, maybe if it was like 35-40K then it might, but sounds like a good deal to me...
Old 12-10-2001, 02:48 PM
10th Gear

I have had some actual hands on tech experience with floded cars from Hurricane Andrew - my advice is to walk away.

Here is what we found. The flooding gets the wiring wet - after several months to as along as a year later, the connectors in the wiring harness and at sensors corrodes. Due to the relatively low voltages these sensors operate at, the corrosion adds resistance, and throws off the sensor readings by the computer. All sorts of driveability gremlins can pop up - idele problems, too rich, too lean, etc.