Brake Rotors? Pads? Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Rotors? Pads? Fluid

Hey Guys,

My CL now has about 60k and it's time to replace the rotors and pads and fluid.

Where can I get rotor blanks online. I'm not looking for anything fancy like brembo/ wilwood blanks. Just plain jane rotors should be fine.

Do you know of any discount acura websites. I have been servicing my audi alot recently so I havn't been on the forums to see where it is the best place to get these parts anymore.

Also anyone have a reccomendation for fluid and pads. Just for a daily driver, I will never track this car.

Thanks
Peter
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterY
Where can I get rotor blanks online. I'm not looking for anything fancy like brembo/ wilwood blanks. Just plain jane rotors should be fine.
One year ago I got Brembo rotors (blanks) from tirerack.com for about $60 for each. They have identical specs. as OEM rotors (same size numbers and everything). The only thing is that they rust a little more than OEM, especially when it rains. I also got Akebono brake pads from rockauto.com, they are about $50 for fronts and $40 for rear....
I am very happy with this set-up, its a good replacement for OEM if you are not looking for any performance improvments or etc. Akebono are soft(fully ceramic), and supposed to be easy on rotors, so I expect to get more life out of these pads and rotors (compared to OEM - that sh*t warps too quickly and costs a lot more for rotors).
If you still want OEM, don't get it from dealer, get it online, one site is this:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/
there might be few others, do a search.

O yeah, if you don't want to install it yourself, don't go the dealer either, just have a reputable shop do it for you... its not a difficult job to do (provided mechanic is not a total idiot)

As far as brake fluid go, I'd recommend to use Honda fluid only to avoid any issues...

Akebono web site
http://www.akebonobrakes.com
Old 02-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flebay baby!!!

Look up irotor on ebay. If they don't have any listed for CLs (which I'm sure they will) you can just call them and they have them in stock. Their phone number will be on their ebay store.

They can give you Brembo crossdrilled and slotted rotors and Axis umlimited pads (all four) for $349 including shipping. They work great!

Only downfall to the pads is that since they are ceramic, they will squeal like nobody else's business in cold weather. But, I will gladly take a little squeal in exchange for some great stopping power!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Only downfall to the pads is that since they are ceramic, they will squeal like nobody else's business in cold weather. But, I will gladly take a little squeal in exchange for some great stopping power!
Axis pads squeal. That's the way they are. Most other ceramic pads do not squeal. Mine don't.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Almost everyone that posted some review of the Axxis pads say that the make a lot of noise and spit out a lot of dust. I have EBC Greenstuff pads and they are pretty quiet, and clean. And they bite down pretty good.

As for rotors, I would recommend spending the extra $60 and getting Rotora slotted rotors. They are less prone to warping. If you are goind to spend $60 a piece for Brembo blanks, why not spend about $300 and get the Rotoras?

I got my rotors from www.streetbeatcustoms.com. The prices were really good, but it took a while for them to ship the rotors to me. Free shipping though. If you choose to go this route, call them and make sure the rotors are in stock first.

I got my pads from www.thepartsbin.com. They had good prices and it got to me in 2 days.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you choose to go with ROTORA slotted rotors you could also PM me for prices with your zip code b/c I have them in stock.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Advanced

i got the rotora slotted front and back, axxis semi metalic, and castrol dot 4 fluid...everything works EXCELLENT !!!

good stopping power, mine doesnt make that much sqeeze noise neither
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 AM
3 the Hard Way

I've narrowed it down to Brembo rotors vs OEM rotors: pros/cons?
I see the Brembos on tirerack.com for $60 each, but how much do the OEM's run for (and what's the part # on them)?
And would y'all say to just use the regular Acura/Honda break fluid, or is there something better out there?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Luckiest Man on Earth.

Rotors

Who has rotors for sale through this site? I don't want to buy through eBay. There are too many people selling "Fake Brembos" or cheaply made rotors. Can someone PM me with info? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkness
I've narrowed it down to Brembo rotors vs OEM rotors: pros/cons?
I see the Brembos on tirerack.com for $60 each, but how much do the OEM's run for (and what's the part # on them)?
And would y'all say to just use the regular Acura/Honda break fluid, or is there something better out there?
I have Brembo OEM blanks. They have identical specs. as OEM, the only thing is that they rust more around the shaft.
OEMs will cost $100 each, plus the shipping could be expensive.....