Black Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black Brembos

Hey, I need everyone's opinion on brembo's with black calipers. I know a friend who is giving me a deal for 1200 new for a a set. I really want the red calipers, but he can't get them. Would you guys still go for it even if it's not the color you want?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
most definately, u can powdercoat the caliper whatever color u want fer cheap anyways... brembos are brembos... that's a fuckin deal
Old 09-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell yeah, Screw the color paint them if you really want them red
Old 09-28-2004, 09:18 PM
El Presidente

black brembo's looks SLICK! cls6sp03 has em, and they look awesome! GO GET EM NOW!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm Cool

whoa killer price
Old 09-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Flap.

black on black with black calipers will be hawt
Old 09-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Originally Posted by briancl
Hey, I need everyone's opinion on brembo's with black calipers. I know a friend who is giving me a deal for 1200 new for a a set. I really want the red calipers, but he can't get them. Would you guys still go for it even if it's not the color you want?

Please put down your credit card..... Amazing deal.. Any chance of group buys for us... I know the answer is NO... but you never know..
Old 09-28-2004, 09:23 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Hobo
black on black with black calipers will be hawt
Old 09-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro

I'm not trying to advertise or anything, but I am pretty sure he can hook others up. Give me a holler if your interested. If this is advertising or anything let me know.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
is that for the 13" kit?? If so, let me know.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by briancl
Hi if they are 13" brembo Can you get me a set too?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:19 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

me too please, if it's the 13" full kit with calipers and pads and steal braided break lines i am in
Old 10-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

ttt
Old 10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
shoulda got a 6 speed

im in too if its the full set
Old 10-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Although Brianlin87 has the right idea, let me assure you re powder coating them to the color you want is anything but cheap! I ought to know. I powder coat calipers for the CL board, and I have a set in my living room right now.

The easy way to remove the powder coating would be to take a torch to them to remove the old paint, but you can't do that. These parts are heat treated for strength, and if you overheat them, god knows what would happen. After all, these are your BRAKES, and behind the tires, they are the second most important safety item on the car.

And you can't just remove the powder coating by sand blasting. All of the machined areas must be protected by a special, mylar based masking tape. specially the cylinder bore(s). pockmark your bores due to careless sandblasting? you will be replacing all of your calipers. And if you make this an early step, out of sequence, there is no masking tape in the world that would stick to the roughened surface. And COMPLETELY FORGET about duct tape. These calipers need to see 450 degrees or so, and the adhesive would melt and flow over the surface. Causing yet another cleaning problem.

And sandblasting does not mean the surfaces are PERFECTLY CLEAN as they must be for powder coating. Sand blasting is usually an auto parts store remedy to get really groady parts down to a manageable proposition for machining, for like, say, a valve job.

Cleaning, masking, blasting (which can do some minor damage to the previous masking), solvent cleaning again (because the sand used may be contaminated), remasking can easily eat up 10 hours of labor when I get fairly good calipers and brackets. The ones I have now have about 25 hours of labor in them, due to dirty sand. I won't make that mistake again.

Plus, these are castings, which means there is air and other gasses trapped under the surface, and the process used to relieve the gasses, which will otherwise ruin your new powder coating job, is a time consuming and temperature sensitive process. Don't kid yourself that you can drop these off at a powder coating jobshop, which usually paints only simple sheet metal, and think you are going to get a high quality job, right out of the box.

On top of this, you need to specify what KIND of powder coating you want. Epoxies are great for corrosion control, but if you pick a high gloss black epoxy, in one year your calipers will be light gray to white due to chalking. What you really want is a polyester TGIC.

I'm not trying to throw rain on your parade. I've been powder coating for 15 years and doing castings for 4. Castings are wild animals as compared to sheet metal. Just informing you that you need to go into this with your eyes wide open.

I've done Smittys calipers, did them last March. And right now, MrSteves are being worked on.

This is not easy, not easy at all. You need to understand powder coatings, cureing paramaters, out gassing, masking techniques and basic metal cleanliness.

Four calipers and four caliper holding brackets should cost $500 minimum to powder coat them. There is a TON of hand labor involved in these things.

If you want to see powder coated calipers, go to the black market section and view the sticky to see Smittys calipers.

Just trying to save you guys some money and agrivation. But powder coating is the way to go, it lasts a lifetime, compared to all the guys here who have to repaint their calipers every year.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
damn $1200!!! get em!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Racer

Ohhh group buy on BREMBOS? Let me in on that too!! Will they fit with stock TL-S rims?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:41 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dfreder370
Although Brianlin87 has the right idea, let me assure you re powder coating them to the color you want is anything but cheap! I ought to know. I powder coat calipers for the CL board, and I have a set in my living room right now.

The easy way to remove the powder coating would be to take a torch to them to remove the old paint, but you can't do that. These parts are heat treated for strength, and if you overheat them, god knows what would happen. After all, these are your BRAKES, and behind the tires, they are the second most important safety item on the car.

And you can't just remove the powder coating by sand blasting. All of the machined areas must be protected by a special, mylar based masking tape. specially the cylinder bore(s). pockmark your bores due to careless sandblasting? you will be replacing all of your calipers. And if you make this an early step, out of sequence, there is no masking tape in the world that would stick to the roughened surface. And COMPLETELY FORGET about duct tape. These calipers need to see 450 degrees or so, and the adhesive would melt and flow over the surface. Causing yet another cleaning problem.

And sandblasting does not mean the surfaces are PERFECTLY CLEAN as they must be for powder coating. Sand blasting is usually an auto parts store remedy to get really groady parts down to a manageable proposition for machining, for like, say, a valve job.

Cleaning, masking, blasting (which can do some minor damage to the previous masking), solvent cleaning again (because the sand used may be contaminated), remasking can easily eat up 10 hours of labor when I get fairly good calipers and brackets. The ones I have now have about 25 hours of labor in them, due to dirty sand. I won't make that mistake again.

Plus, these are castings, which means there is air and other gasses trapped under the surface, and the process used to relieve the gasses, which will otherwise ruin your new powder coating job, is a time consuming and temperature sensitive process. Don't kid yourself that you can drop these off at a powder coating jobshop, which usually paints only simple sheet metal, and think you are going to get a high quality job, right out of the box.

On top of this, you need to specify what KIND of powder coating you want. Epoxies are great for corrosion control, but if you pick a high gloss black epoxy, in one year your calipers will be light gray to white due to chalking. What you really want is a polyester TGIC.

I'm not trying to throw rain on your parade. I've been powder coating for 15 years and doing castings for 4. Castings are wild animals as compared to sheet metal. Just informing you that you need to go into this with your eyes wide open.

I've done Smittys calipers, did them last March. And right now, MrSteves are being worked on.

This is not easy, not easy at all. You need to understand powder coatings, cureing paramaters, out gassing, masking techniques and basic metal cleanliness.

Four calipers and four caliper holding brackets should cost $500 minimum to powder coat them. There is a TON of hand labor involved in these things.

If you want to see powder coated calipers, go to the black market section and view the sticky to see Smittys calipers.

Just trying to save you guys some money and agrivation. But powder coating is the way to go, it lasts a lifetime, compared to all the guys here who have to repaint their calipers every year.

thanks for the clarification
Old 10-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

who cares what color they are. THEY ARE BREMBO'S!