Big problem, related to Comptech Springs, inside...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Big problem, related to Comptech Springs, inside...

I can't believe it

I had my coilovers and BBK installed today

and the car has a nasty shimmy when accelerating, but not when rolling
left it at the shop. they looked at it and everything looks fine
now...
a comptech spring had collapsed and I had the same shimmy when accelerating, but not as severe
but it should have been fixed when the coiloevers were installed, since it replaced the broken spring
unless something else got damaged before I went to the coilovers
what do you think?

I'm guessing since the shimmy/ vibration (from side to side) is in the floor and seat, not the steering wheel, the problem is in the rear, and also since the accelerating distributes the weight to the rear, this causes the vibration rather than when rolling. Its not the tires or wheels, I tested it with two different wheel setups, and same thing.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks Ron.

Something could be bent where the the shock meets the body. I hope that's not the case 'cause problems like that are very hard to find. Godd luck in figuring/finding it out.

Comptech has me ready to take my damn springs off now and mine aren't even rusted yet.

This shit is scary.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please explain shim a little better... I have a noise that I'm not sure what it is form the wheel well and my alignment is off but I expected that...
Old 10-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
DO you feel it when you turn?

SOunds lke something is bent, or maybe not tightened properly.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

they tightend everyhting once over, and I had this problem from before the install, when i had those pieces of shit collapsed comptech springs. I figured that when they get replaced by the coilovers, the problem would go away, but it is more dramatic now. Shimmy is like a vibration that is heavy, from side to side, through the seat and floor. no noise tho. I can only feel it when I get on the gas pedal, and the weight transfers to mthe rear of the car, liek when the car is squatting under acceleration. there is no problem when rolling, even if I am going fast, its when I give it gas and the car squats.
I hope its not a bent part.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wait, you were getting it before they snapped, or after they snapped? Could it be an alignment problem?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Wait, you were getting it before they snapped, or after they snapped? Could it be an alignment problem?
Doubt its an alignment problem, but the car was having this problem before and after the comptech gods struck me
Old 10-26-2004, 10:13 PM
///M POWER

u think there could be somethin still stuck there from the ct's
Old 10-27-2004, 09:19 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
if u switched to coilovers it cant be the springs unless u used the compthech ones. were the drop height all set to the same levels??i ownder if u have a really bad blown strut so when the car squaits when given it gas it takes longer for the one side to rebound. witch might give u a shimmy. but im not sure. your best bet is to take it back to the place that put them on and see if the can figure out the prob. i wonder if they forgot to put a bumpstop on or a wrong size one.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evilone
if u switched to coilovers it cant be the springs unless u used the compthech ones. were the drop height all set to the same levels??i ownder if u have a really bad blown strut so when the car squaits when given it gas it takes longer for the one side to rebound. witch might give u a shimmy. but im not sure. your best bet is to take it back to the place that put them on and see if the can figure out the prob. i wonder if they forgot to put a bumpstop on or a wrong size one.
i got Brand new Tein SS and this is the same problem I had with the compotechs when the rear left one broke. and thats where the problem is comeiing from. But visuall, it is fine. just trying to figure out if this happened to anybody else. I hope its nothing like the shaft or arm being bent. thanks for the help guys, but still no similar problems, huh.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Something that rotates would have to be bent to cause a side-to-side motion. Maybe a motor mount or the toe is way of in the front causing the car to pull when you give it gas.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Sound like a real pain in the arse there Ron...if all else fails maybe you can take it to an acura dealer (if yours is a good one) and have them take a look at it. I hit a curb and did some bad bending under the car and from looking you couldnt tell anything was out of place but the car drove very very bad so you know something was out. Acura was able to take measurements and figure out what was bent and what was not....maybe they can do the same for you
Old 10-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

just got my car back, and they had raised it to a 2 finger gap all around. They said that initially, the car was at a half a finger gap all around and that there was too much stress on an allready bad axle in the front. I drove the car and it was alot better but not perfectly smooth. I can drive it now without any worries, but it looks like a comptech drop. I'm gonna let the rotors break in, and then I'm gonna replace the front axle. Maybe then I can be rest assured the car is in prime condition. Modding your car this much is a friggin headache.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Racer

rear anti sway bar link or connections at the sway bushings are loose and most likely sways missaligned from before. sways must be centered sway links properly aligned and torqued to spec
Old 10-27-2004, 12:19 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

put the front of your car on jackstands and then accelerate with the wheels off the ground. See if the problem is still there.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by evilone

You may have a blown strut, you also might want to check all mounting points for stress cracking. I had a similar problem with a 91 talon tsi body to frame mount was stress cracked causing the car to shimmy down the road. Problem showed up after I blew a rear strut hitting a pot hole on hwy, lovely wi roads.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your CV joint is a bit wonky after reading all this. I sent you a PM. Lots of things it could be. When you lower you car a lot it puts different stress on the CV joint.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

did you decide to chnge to coilovers when the comptech spring broke on you? or before it broke?

also was yours rusted or did they just break on you?

man i have comptech and it seems like i should change over to teins b4 the piece of shit comptechs break on me.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Whoa ...

That's not cool ... I am so looking forward to the end of the month when I'm gonna get my CT springs changed to Teins ... (High Tech springs... not coilovers)
Old 10-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

how is the drop on those tein springs? how about ride quality?
Old 10-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Pro

On a related issue...anyone have the "new" CT springs installed?? and can can you comment on ride quality and lowering/drop compared to the original CT "rusties" . I am having them put on in a few weeks with new Tokico Blues...so I'm getting curious now

Old 10-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by 6speedctrlfreak
On a related issue...anyone have the "new" CT springs installed?? and can can you comment on ride quality and lowering/drop compared to the original CT "rusties" . I am having them put on in a few weeks with new Tokico Blues...so I'm getting curious now

The black ones are Eibachs. THey sit a lot lower in the back than the old Comptechs. I think the ride is better. Firmer but not harsh and the front doesn't feel so soft.