best place for tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Socal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best place for tweeters?

after the holidays im goin to finally invest in my highs.... ive got the lows taken care of already.... my question is where should i put the new set of tweeters? i dont want them to kill my ears but i want to still notice them.

"no highs, no lows... must be bose"
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,321 Likes on 4,899 Posts
I've been wondering this as well. Im putting the fronts into the stock location, but the rears are what is baffling me. I dont want to cut anything in my interior or make it look shitty and out of place.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a member car that actuaally looked good and he had his installed on the door panels right beside the lilltle spks.
lots of wrk though but i think it looked noticeable and served d purpose.
Sorry I cant post pics.......(not my car/Pics/Permission)
Old 12-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Socal

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I've been wondering this as well. Im putting the fronts into the stock location, but the rears are what is baffling me. I dont want to cut anything in my interior or make it look shitty and out of place.
is it hard to replace the stock ones? i wanted to just not mess with those and put a pair in the rear somewhere... thinkin at the b pillar... sorta ointing down into the rest of the car
Old 12-21-2008, 01:56 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't think they are difficult to replace.

Mine are replaced with Infinity Kappa's...don't get those...way too bright for my tastes!

You have an aftermarket deck right?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went all Infinity Kappa's all the war around, and I absolutely love them. As the above post says, they are really bright but I was able to tune them down a little via my deck and amp and now they sound incredible, best system I have ever had in a vehicle and I'm only running one Infinity Perfect 12.1 DVC for bass so you can really hear the mids and highs in the car.

If I were you I would not really worry about trying to run a set of rear tweeters, if you get quality front ones thats really all you need
Old 12-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most cohesive sound w/ decent sound stage without time alignment and extensive EQ would come from a kick panel tweeter install. Stock location for midbass is okay as it keeps the two drivers relatively close. Aim the tweeters toward the ears of opposite front driver/passenger.
To me the stock tweeter locations lacked depth of soundstage and tended toward brightness. If I turned the treble down, detail and transparency was lost.
By far most systems aimed at SQ have no rear tweeters, or even rear speakers. Front stage and subwoofer for SQ.
If you just want volume, whatever goes.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Socal

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
I don't think they are difficult to replace.

Mine are replaced with Infinity Kappa's...don't get those...way too bright for my tastes!

You have an aftermarket deck right?
no im running the stock deck.... i know i know i cant get anything tuned right but it will come eventually... for now im just goin to replace the bose tweeters
Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Socal

Originally Posted by monkeybutt
Most cohesive sound w/ decent sound stage without time alignment and extensive EQ would come from a kick panel tweeter install. Stock location for midbass is okay as it keeps the two drivers relatively close. Aim the tweeters toward the ears of opposite front driver/passenger.
To me the stock tweeter locations lacked depth of soundstage and tended toward brightness. If I turned the treble down, detail and transparency was lost.
By far most systems aimed at SQ have no rear tweeters, or even rear speakers. Front stage and subwoofer for SQ.
exactly the response i needed... thanks man....

right now im running all stock except the 10" infinity reference series sub. ive always been more of a SQ guy.

i lack massive amounts of funds so ima just add the tweeters and be done for now... what type should i get to replace the stocks? remember i cant tune them as i dont have an aftermarket head unit.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGBOOMER77
exactly the response i needed... thanks man....

right now im running all stock except the 10" infinity reference series sub. ive always been more of a SQ guy.

i lack massive amounts of funds so ima just add the tweeters and be done for now... what type should i get to replace the stocks? remember i cant tune them as i dont have an aftermarket head unit.
Hey Bigboomer, alright SQ is the way to go, but it is really hard to integrate a pair of tweeters into a system w/o proper x-over. Since you have the sub covered you should really save for a proper set of components, a 2 channel amp and and a good install - install quality will make or break a system. I hear ya about the funds. Hmm, you know I just keep finding stuff in my garage or closet...

...So I was gonna do a NewYear's giveaway, but I see you live in North Hollywood... you got pm dude.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
I always thought it'd be sweet to put them in the seat the way the M class Infitini has em..... not sure if its possible, but cool idea none the less
Old 12-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Socal

Hey Bigboomer, alright SQ is the way to go, but it is really hard to integrate a pair of tweeters into a system w/o proper x-over. Since you have the sub covered you should really save for a proper set of components, a 2 channel amp and and a good install - install quality will make or break a system. I hear ya about the funds. Hmm, you know I just keep finding stuff in my garage or closet...

...So I was gonna do a NewYear's giveaway, but I see you live in North Hollywood... you got pm dude.
replied
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 AM

The stock tweeters are 1", and my Infinity Kappas are 1" as well. I love these components. I had Alpine Type Rs that everyone (used) to rave about, and I got rid of them in a week and went back to Infinity. With the right amp and headunit they will sound amazing.

To the OP- You are going to be running an amp right?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
umm, so your adding tweeters to the stock system? With no additional amps? How are you going to power & wire them?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Pro

In my last car i put the a set of tweeters in the headlinner above the passenger and drivers heads. This gave it that surround sound feeling. If you have the balck interror this can be pulled off easly but you'll have to paint them if you have the tan interror like me.
I had boston acc. ones and they ressed in but i still could angle them a little
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,325 Posts
I have Infinity 6.1 Perfect in the stock locations. The highs would be bright but I have the crossover dialed down to -2 and love them.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 AM
*6MT*

Someone knows his stuff No rear fill ftw.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK pics will be nice with all this talk talk talk.
Lets see pics especially if they are yours and u cud discuss the components used.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
umm, so your adding tweeters to the stock system? With no additional amps? How are you going to power & wire them?
I thought they wouldn't be compatible with the Bose amp.

BigBoomer...don't think that is going to work from what I understand about the OEM system.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
I thought they wouldn't be compatible with the Bose amp.

BigBoomer...don't think that is going to work from what I understand about the OEM system.

Werd. If I recall correctly, the stock Bose amp is 1 Ohm. Most aftermarket components are not.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 PM
8th Gear

Keep the stock locations. Forget the stock HU, it's garbage. Get something with built in TA and crossover. The Kappa's are good but a bit harsh. I would go with something from Morel on the high end. If not Morel, at least look for a textile dome. I ran stock locations with a Morel MT23 tweeter. I used the Alpine H701 processor for TA and EQ. It sounded so good, I won a world championship in sound quality along with a few other nice trophies.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned

Holey balls that's a lot of amp!!! People's eyes get big when they see my matching infinity 800's sitting side by side in my CL trunk, but damn dude
Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Pro

Nice setup, what are the subs? I don't see people using the free air flow subs around my way.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM
8th Gear

They are Image Dynamics IDQ12V3's. They give me very realistic bass and plenty of it if I want to turn them up. This is not a boomboom car. It was built to sound so realistic, you think you are hearing a live performance. It does that very well. The rear speakers were removed and the rear deck was sealed off completely. Good free air subs will have a more flat frequency response and will play very low. You also get to keep your trunk.