Best place to buy Mobil 1 SyperSyn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best place to buy Mobil 1 SyperSyn?

I will check first Walmart, where else can I find good deals?
Old 02-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

pepboys. Although i recommend amsoil I'll be switching over my next oil change.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:06 PM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Target

Big K
Old 02-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

bj, costco,
Old 02-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Bj... I got a c case of 6 Qrts for $24!

Walmert has 1 Qrt for $4.77 and has 5 Qrts Jug of Castrol Syntec ( Full Syntetic ) for $21
Old 02-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

check out http://www.amsoil.com/performancetes..._vs_mobil1.htm

For reference my lab analysis after 10 k miles on amsoil was
TBN = 7.95 always a place to start another debate
Old 02-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by fender4

Good/bad? I"m getting ready to put in xl 7500 5w-20 into my car.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Zapata
Good/bad? I"m getting ready to put in xl 7500 5w-20 into my car.
7500 made with base stock level III very similar to Castrol,, it's petro hydrocarbons ,, not really a True synthetic, ( no law on how to use that word, just the like the term "all natural"), it's made for changes every 7500 miles,, for a few bucks more just buy the 5w30 and change every 10k.

http://www.desertsundirectsales.com/ford5w20.htm
Old 02-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Instructor

i can't find those 5 quart jugs of mobil 1 at walmart anymore. .they were 17 bucks too.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Target or Wal Mart
Old 02-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

7500 made with base stock level III very similar to Castrol,, it's petro hydrocarbons ,, not really a True synthetic, ( no law on how to use that word, just the like the term "all natural"), it's made for changes every 7500 miles,, for a few bucks more just buy the 5w30 and change every 10k.

http://www.desertsundirectsales.com/ford5w20.htm

fawk I just bought 12 bottles of that shit. Ugh. I would've went with the 5w-30 but it worried going with a higher weight. I did that once with my automatic and my MPG went down by 30miles per tank. Have you noticed anything?

Anybody want 12 bottles of 5w-20 Amsoil ?
Old 02-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

fawk I just bought 12 bottles of that shit. Ugh. I would've went with the 5w-30 but it worried going with a higher weight. I did that once with my automatic and my MPG went down by 30miles per tank. Have you noticed anything?
no difference in mpg,, I now use 0w30,, my car is on the 200k mile plan,, soooo I change filters every 5k,, You can exchange or refund any amsoil product. Just contact your area rep or warehouse..
Old 02-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

no difference in mpg,, I now use 0w30,, my car is on the 200k mile plan,, soooo I change filters every 5k,, You can exchange or refund any amsoil product. Just contact your area rep or warehouse..

Wow! How many miles on your car now? Why did you decide to go to the lower weight? i plan on keeping the car for about the same Any tips?

I just saw that i can return it. I'll call amsoil tomorrow and see if i can workout an exchange
Old 02-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow! How many miles on your car now? Why did you decide to go to the lower weight? i plan on keeping the car for about the same Any tips?

I just saw that i can return it. I'll call amsoil tomorrow and see if i can workout an exchange
I have 43k (in 2.3 years),,,, I went with the more expensive series 2000 because it's test results are a little better and I wanted the best I could find,,,, Here's a interesting tid bit,,, I have to change tires at every third oil change,,, (bridgstones re730 wear out at 30k miles) !! tips???? "have safe fun" ok ok,,, change the filters often,,, change brake pads before they wear out,, flush rad. every 30 k,,, stick to the simple details but do them often,,,,
Old 02-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I have 43k (in 2.3 years),,,, I went with the more expensive series 2000 because it's test results are a little better and I wanted the best I could find,,,, Here's a interesting tid bit,,, I have to change tires at every third oil change,,, (bridgstones re730 wear out at 30k miles) !! tips???? "have safe fun" ok ok,,, change the filters often,,, change brake pads before they wear out,, flush rad. every 30 k,,, stick to the simple details but do them often,,,,

As far as the tires go. Alignment and balance It get's expensive but you get a little extra out of the tires.

Where do you get the oil analyzed?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts

I hate the fact that Amsoil is talking sh*t about Mobil 1. Its unprofessional. I only trust indepent sources of information, their web site can have any testimony you want... does not mean its all 100% true.
I will stick with Mobil1 one.... well established name, eventhough Amsoil data looks much better....
Old 02-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

oil can be analyzed at oil analyzers inc or blackstone lab,, The kit comes with a pre addressed box for mailing it's about $20 from amsoil dealer or call blackstone and they mail you one.

Amsoil just move into 6 largest oil company,, name just not recognized because they don't have gas stations on every corner... all tests are done with a independent lab and per ASTM standards, most results compare closely to what mobil posts on their web page.. no mobil bashing here it's a very good synthetic oil,,, just not the best per their advertising and marketing dept would have you believe....
Old 02-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Safety Car

what would mobile1's tbn be after 10k miles?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I run mobil 1 for 5K miles. I pay $4/Qrts. Amsoil is like $6/Qrt.. I have to run it like 10kmiles to be worth it... and since you need to change the oil filter anyways at 5kmiles. it is more or less the same hassle...

This time I am running the mobil 1 for only 3300 miles... I will also do Oil and ATF Analysis at BlackStone Lab for like $36...

One more thing, where is my Oil Filter (Purolator Pure One) ... I need to buy one...
Old 02-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

silly graphs and silly stats -- oh boy...

Originally posted by russianDude
I hate the fact that Amsoil is talking sh*t about Mobil 1. Its unprofessional. I only trust indepent sources of information, their web site can have any testimony you want... does not mean its all 100% true.
I will stick with Mobil1 one.... well established name, eventhough Amsoil data looks much better....
If you look at this graph, it says it all. They look to make good products, but the "presentation" is a real turn off to me. I end up buying stuff from people who "soft sell" stuff.

I'm waiting to see a graph showing a 1 degree difference looking like the the height difference between Death Valley and K2!

Well, at least I know what to get if and when I move to the North Pole or other locations with temps below -48 C! :P

Old 02-10-2003, 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: silly graphs and silly stats -- oh boy...

Originally posted by EricL
If you look at this graph, it says it all. They look to make good products, but the "presentation" is a real turn off to me. I end up buying stuff from people who "soft sell" stuff.

I'm waiting to see a graph showing a 1 degree difference looking like the the height difference between Death Valley and K2!

Well, at least I know what to get if and when I move to the North Pole or other locations with temps below -48 C! :P

OK, but if you live in normal climate like NJ, who cares about this 3C degree difference? Is it worse to pay extra $3 per quart to get this little advantage?
Old 02-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: silly graphs and silly stats -- oh boy...

Originally posted by russianDude
OK, but if you live in normal climate like NJ, who cares about this 3C degree difference? Is it worse to pay extra $3 per quart to get this little advantage?
I think you missed the whole point. I did mention the polar regions – hey?

The graph is like having a comparison between two CPUS (Intel vs. AMD for example) and showing a 0.01% difference on a bar graph with that 0.01 percent scaled to look like one processor is twice as good as the other with some creative offset and scaling!

In this case, there is a 3 degree difference and the Amsoil bar graph is TWICE AS TALL!!!!!

Please -- give me a break. This type of statistics manipulation makes me think the authors think the target audience are morons.

NOTE: there seems to be some advantages to the Amsoil with the longer changes (or so the anecdotal data collected by "some" people would support [emphasis on some]). IMO, the very inclusion of the bar graph is analogous to lying to a judge in traffic court. If you lie on the first question (and perjure yourself), what does that do to perception of the rest of the presentation/arguments regardless of their validity and truthfulness?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: silly graphs and silly stats -- oh boy...

Interesting that you mention this. I thought that I was the only one turned off by their advertising methods.

I, for one, will never buy an Amsoil product as long as there are other options available (and I don't think those options are going away). Their campaign methods out-and-out annoy me.

I'm sure their products are good but I am quite reluctant to support such an annoying corporation.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Acutally, one more thing.. running any good Synthetic oil like the Mobil SuperSyn or Castrol Syntec or Amsoil for only 5k miles is bit silly... we can run it at least 7500 miles or 15000 miles as Acura has 7500 mile service interval for dino oil...

The only thing I worry about the oil filter so this is why I change it at 5kmiles.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: silly graphs and silly stats -- oh boy...

I think you missed the whole point. I did mention the polar regions – hey?

The graph is like having a comparison between two CPUS (Intel vs. AMD for example) and showing a 0.01% difference on a bar graph with that 0.01 percent scaled to look like one processor is twice as good as the other with some creative offset and scaling!

In this case, there is a 3 degree difference and the Amsoil bar graph is TWICE AS TALL!!!!!

Please -- give me a break. This type of statistics manipulation makes me think the authors think the target audience are morons.

NOTE: there seems to be some advantages to the Amsoil with the longer changes (or so the anecdotal data collected by "some" people would support [emphasis on some]). IMO, the very inclusion of the bar graph is analogous to lying to a judge in traffic court. If you lie on the first question (and perjure yourself), what does that do to perception of the rest of the presentation/arguments regardless of their validity and truthfulness?
Yeah, its funny how they exaggerated 0.01% difference on the graph to make it look as if it was extreemly significunt difference. That and other marketing techniques like bad mouthing Mobil 1 make me dissapointed in Amsoil. Bad mouthing your competitor is very unprofessional.

If all the statistics is true, I do agree that Amsoil is a LITTLE better, but its hell lot more expensive.... plus you got to pay for shipping since its not sold anywhere locally.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

These last few comments on advertising and marketing are very very good,, when Mobil1 started it's advertising campain stating it is the best other companies (amsoil) will say we have test data stating otherwise,,, about the bashing,, I believe Mobil1 started the "Pendillum Swinging",, Still the one degree chart is werd,, I think the true issue should be the starting TBN number. True
PAO synthetics have TBN's in the 9-13 range, class III's (refined Petro oil) are in the 6-9 range. Not that Mobil1 isn't PAO base stock. I don't know.

Again this debate is like which diamond is the best,, it's a very fine line, pun intended,,
Old 02-10-2003, 10:30 AM
TRELOS

About the 5 quart jugs from Wal-Mart. Did u guys ever notice that those jugs contained Mobil 1 "Try-Syn" . Its not even a pure syn.

The reason why u guys can't find the jugs anymore is because Mobil was able to develop the "NEW" Fully Syn before its deadline and needed to liqudate all of their Try-Syn oil. That's why u could get them at Wal-Mart back then but not anymore.

I have yet to check out BJ or Cosco but will one of these days. I would assume that one of the two woudl be the best bet in terms of cheapness. And if u really think about it after ur sixth oil change u get a free one after that. That is if u are purchaseing 6 quart chases and adding 5 quarts every oild change .

Juker008
Old 02-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

You need only 4.66 Qrts for each Oil Change including the Oil Filter.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:32 PM
TRELOS

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
You need only 4.66 Qrts for each Oil Change including the Oil Filter.

True. But don't tell me u sit there and measure 4.6 quarts . Just dump 5 quarts and be done with it .

Juker008
Old 02-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

One more thing... I saw once the the 5 Qrts Jug of the new SuperSyn Formula! And for the same price of $17-$18!
Old 02-11-2003, 08:43 AM
TRELOS

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
One more thing... I saw once the the 5 Qrts Jug of the new SuperSyn Formula! And for the same price of $17-$18!

U know I SWEAR I did to but kept being told by MANY others that I was wrong and that it was just the Tri-Syn.

Juker008
Old 02-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

oil can be analyzed at oil analyzers inc or blackstone lab,, The kit comes with a pre addressed box for mailing it's about $20 from amsoil dealer or call blackstone and they mail you one.

Amsoil just move into 6 largest oil company,, name just not recognized because they don't have gas stations on every corner... all tests are done with a independent lab and per ASTM standards, most results compare closely to what mobil posts on their web page.. no mobil bashing here it's a very good synthetic oil,,, just not the best per their advertising and marketing dept would have you believe....

Fender,
How about the oil filter? Should i go with the HOnda filter?
Old 02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Fender,
How about the oil filter? Should i go with the HOnda filter?
no not really read

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Honda is playing around with filter quality,,

I went 10k on a Amsoil sdf20, The oil tested fine but I had 100 ppm iron content,,The lab said to change the filter and monitor the iron. I now use a sdf44 (oversize filter, fits fine) and change it every 5k,, I will have the oil analyzed next change in about four months from now. Amsoil oil filters ($11.00) are tested by them and are suppose to be good for 13.5k or one year. As you can see from the attached web page mobil1 ($12.00) filters are good also. But note, they are almost the same as the Bosh -sp- ($5.00) and STP($2.75) and are made at the same factory. So If filter economics are importent use the STP and change at 3.5k miles. This process will also be a good oil filtration method.

Old 02-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Ah... this time I bough the Ovesized Purelator PureOne PL 24458 insted of regular PL 14459.. They are the same price anyways.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

no not really read

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Honda is playing around with filter quality,,

I went 10k on a Amsoil sdf20, The oil tested fine but I had 100 ppm iron content,,The lab said to change the filter and monitor the iron. I now use a sdf44 (oversize filter, fits fine) and change it every 5k,, I will have the oil analyzed next change in about four months from now. Amsoil oil filters ($11.00) are tested by them and are suppose to be good for 13.5k or one year. As you can see from the attached web page mobil1 ($12.00) filters are good also. But note, they are almost the same as the Bosh -sp- ($5.00) and STP($2.75) and are made at the same factory. So If filter economics are importent use the STP and change at 3.5k miles. This process will also be a good oil filtration method.

Why did you switch filters?
Old 02-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Went with the over size,,, my perception is that it filters with more area therefore the material will last longer and possible more volume get filtered. I don't know I haven't discussed this with the engineers soooo tomorrow at work I'll find out.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Went with the over size,,, my perception is that it filters with more area therefore the material will last longer and possible more volume get filtered. I don't know I haven't discussed this with the engineers soooo tomorrow at work I'll find out.
Wouldn't larger surface area have an effect on pressure? I'm sure it couldn't be HUGE but nonetheless....
Old 02-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

according to this info here: http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart6.htm

They imply an oversized filter would delay the opening of the bypass valve and hence keep the fitler working at a higher rpm.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

that price sound about right. I buy it at costco, but the filters are still expensive