Base to Type-S suspension/wheel upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base to Type-S suspension/wheel upgrades

OK, so I should have bought a 2001 CL-S. I'm stuck with the CL-P, but I want it to handle more like a Type-S.

I figure buying the 17" wheels and changing the spring rates should get me 90% of the way there. I was hoping to do it through a dealer with Acura parts to maintain the full warranty, but the 3 dealers I've asked don't seem to know what to tell me.

What should I do?

(Questions to answer: I saw a thread on adding S wheels to the P. Seemed unsure if they would rub, but what if they adjust the spring and steering stops in the process? And would adjusting the spring rates give me the desired handling effects, or do I need to look at other suspension parts? Where can I go if the dealers are clueless?)
Old 04-28-2002, 11:12 PM
Stealth Bomber

Any shop can do it for you. If I were you I would just get Comptech Springs to lower the car, and a new set of rims and tires. Because frankly the tires that come with the S still suck.

If you are gonna upgrade, might as well use the money to the full potential.

Don't feel bad about buying the P, now if you lower it, and put a new set of rims nobody will know ... Unless they look inside so just tint it

There are no modifications that have to be done. It is a really simple job and if acura won't do it for you, go to any performance shop. I don't see why it would void your warranty, just go to a good reputable shop.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:58 AM
Instructor

seems to me that adding the Comptech springs and sways would do it; most of us have trashed some part of the Type S suspension in favor of these components. Going with 17 inch wheels (personally I'd go with an aftermarket set, and avoid the scratched rim problem) and new rubber completes it. Tire Rack guys could help you on selecting the wheel/tire combination that should work for your car...
Old 04-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

Better question...

Thanks, sounds like good advice. Which leads to a different question:

I'm new to the aftermarket modification business. Can anyone offer tips on finding a good shop to do the work?

I'm hesitant to let even the dealer work on "my baby." My understanding is that there are many more pitfalls when working aftermarket and with shops that aren't factory-affiliated. How can I determine whether a shop is technically competent to mess with my car?

Also, are there standards for how this business works? Do people usually bargain or barter with shops, or do you typically pay what they ask up front?
Old 04-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Stealth Bomber

I can't really tell you what exact shop to go to. But ask around, I am sure there is plenty of shops in MA. Best bet is not to arrange a install without going there first. Usually I go down there and tell them what I am going to order, take a look at the shop, get a quote and bring your stuff when it comes in.

Springs and Sways are both really easy installs, most performance shops with a lift can probably do it. But it might make it easier for them if you print off the directions from the FAQ and bring it down with you when you get your quote.

So have you decided by the way which rims + tires you are going to get?

I'm sure we can offer you advice on your decisions..
Old 04-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Intermediate

I'd love some guidance. Unfortunately I can't go all out on the car because my wife still drives it, so I don't think I can justify lowering or putting in very jarring springs. Also, I want to be able to handle the miserable Boston weather, so I'd need something like M+S tires.

Sounds like the Comptech sways are a real winner. What should I do for springs if I want to keep the ride smooth enough for my wife?

Any suggestions on where to start for wheels? My only preferences are for reasonable price, rims that won't protrude and scratch like the stock ones, and rubber that I can drive through slush.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Stealth Bomber

I live in toronto so I know about slush and snow.. These Dunlop SP5000 are a great high performance all season tire.

visit sites such as www.tirerack.com and go to wheels, and you will be able to see the wheels on the car.

I would recommend you go to a little bit wider tire. 235/45/17 is usually the way to go if you are gonna stay with 17s..

The ride isn't really impaired after springs.. With sways and springs, lightweight rims + tires, the car feels so much better. It is not harder to drive.. and gives you a much more stable ride and the difference is just amazing.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

So how much did your purchase and install run for your wheels and suspension upgrades? And where did you order the hardware from?
Old 04-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Stealth Bomber

Tires and rims got put on for free at a tire shop here.

You shouldn't pay over $200 U.S. for a spring install, otherwise it's just rediculous. As for sways, it took the guy 30 minutes to do it in front of me.. You might even be able to do it by yourself..
Old 04-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I heard the comptech springs will kill the cls shocks rather quickly.
Wouldn't the clp shocks go even quicker?
Should he also be looking at new ones?

And how far off will the camber be, what is the stock height of a clp?