Bad to Worse: A Ticket Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001 | 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Bad to Worse: A Ticket Story

Based on my recent rash of tickets and my rapid accumulation of 8 points on my license, it is my duty to give you guys my advice when you get pulled over. Unfortunately, I have done these things at one point or another while pulled over probably resulting in guaranteed tickets.

1. Take your sunglasses off unless you want to get a ticket.

2. Turn your radio all the way off unless you want to get a ticket. If your in NJ and you have rap music on, just ask the cop to write the ticket right there, YOUR GETTING ONE.

3. Don't answer your cell phone or make calls while waiting for a trooper to look up your plate.

4. Don't be overly nice to women cops, they get more pissed off when your staring at their tits while scalding you for speeding.

5. WHATEVER YOU DO!!!! Don't be a tool like me and have 4 warning tickets in your Acura leather holder. When I got my "Illegal Turn" ticket last week I had 4 of them piled up with my Insurance Card. The cop was like:
"Oh, what are those?" as he requested to see them. #1 95 in a 65, #2 Careless Driving #3 45 in a 35, #4 63 in a 45. It does not help your case AT ALL.

6. Cops hate it when you watch them in your rear view as they sit in your car. Just stare at all the traffic passing you laughing and look ashamed.

7. Don't try to act badass if you have a chick in the car.

8. Ask for the badge number AFTER you know your getting a ticket. Ask for it beforehand and your getting one.

9. This one is for YuppieCL. Show PBA CARDS before he writes you a ticket.

10. Only name drop people if YOUR IN THE TOWN they work for or the cop will look at you like "Who?".

It's my obligation to pass on my advice based off my utter stupidity in the face of the law.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr CAI (Temporary)
SilverKnight Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by [URL=http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura Integra GSR
No Mods yet but just wait......
Old 06-18-2001 | 02:48 PM
Team Owner

I like #4.

Shawn S

------------------
Make me an offer….It’s FOR SALE when the 6-Speed MANUAL comes out, I HATE the SLUSH SHIFT !!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 06-18-2001 | 02:52 PM
Drifting

Also:
Get a fratenal order of police License plate. It is about 70 bucks more than a normal plate. Tell them your pops is a cop in district 15 (that's ann arbor, mi) It got me off a DUI after refusing to take the breathilyzer. It got me an 70 in a 65 (that means no points) when I was clocked at 93 on a gun.
Also, as the cop is rolling up on your car (after you have stopped) ROLL DOWN all the window and open the sun roof if it is dark outside or if you have tint. Turn on all your interior lights. Put both hands on the top of the steering wheel or on the top of the door (ie where the cop can see them). Everytime I do this, the cop asks me right off the bat or shortly thereafter "what district are you in" THen I explain about my dad being a cop in District 15, Ann Arbor. Make sure the district is far enough away so the cop doesnt know anyone there.

------------------
-Phin
Voice of the Angry Chink/Gook Bastard or whatever you wanna call us.
Old 06-18-2001 | 02:53 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
you forgot

# don't wear a backwards cap
Old 06-18-2001 | 02:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phinthesky:
Also:
Get a fratenal order of police License plate. It is about 70 bucks more than a normal plate. Tell them your pops is a cop in district 15 (that's ann arbor, mi) It got me off a DUI after refusing to take the breathilyzer. It got me an 70 in a 65 (that means no points) when I was clocked at 93 on a gun.
Also, as the cop is rolling up on your car (after you have stopped) ROLL DOWN all the window and open the sun roof if it is dark outside or if you have tint. Turn on all your interior lights. Put both hands on the top of the steering wheel or on the top of the door (ie where the cop can see them). Everytime I do this, the cop asks me right off the bat or shortly thereafter "what district are you in" THen I explain about my dad being a cop in District 15, Ann Arbor. Make sure the district is far enough away so the cop doesnt know anyone there.

</font>

That's a HUGE risk, one call and your lie is caught. Lucky for you so far but around here, you drop a cop's name and all he has to do is call that barrack or station over the air and confirm it. That's like when my friend told the cop this was his first altercation with the PD and the cop walked back to the car like "Oh so that 4 point ticket last year wasn't issued by a cop?" DOH!

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr CAI (Temporary)
SilverKnight Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by [URL=http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 06-18-2001 | 02:59 PM
Learn to swim.

#11 Don't be a Friday night.

j/k

edited for content

[This message has been edited by Astroboy (edited 06-19-2001).]
Old 06-18-2001 | 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Number 5 is so true, I had a stack of court papers and tickets on my door panel, when They impounded my car.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter w/ custom CAI. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-18-2001 | 03:16 PM
Banned

Don't be nakes or have somebody naked in your car when you get pulled over.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 06-18-2001 | 03:27 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:

5. WHATEVER YOU DO!!!! Don't be a tool like me and have 4 warning tickets in your Acura leather holder. When I got my "Illegal Turn" ticket last week I had 4 of them piled up with my Insurance Card. The cop was like:
"Oh, what are those?" as he requested to see them. #1 95 in a 65, #2 Careless Driving #3 45 in a 35, #4 63 in a 45. It does not help your case AT ALL.

</font>
Sorry to get kind of off topic but do they keep a record of all the warnings you get and what they were for? Just wondering cause everytime i get pulled they always ask if i have been pulled over before for speeding and even though i havent been ticketed i have been warned so...

------------------
No more scratches thanks to the dumbass who walked on my car and had to pay to have it repainted.
Old 06-18-2001 | 03:29 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
WHATEVER YOU DO!!!! Don't be a tool like me and have 4 warning tickets in your Acura leather holder. When I got my "Illegal Turn" ticket last week I had 4 of them piled up with my Insurance Card. The cop was like:

</font>
LOL...that has to suck. I'm soo glad I haven't gotten caught that many times. I've been VERY lucky, but I need to chill before my luck runs out.
Old 06-18-2001 | 03:36 PM
Race Director

#3 interested me. You are exactly right. Making and taking calls only indicates that you have better things to do than pay attention to or be concerned with this critical 5-8 minute situation. On the other hand, "Officer have you seen the new Sanyo phone...?"

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-18-2001 | 04:33 PM
1st Gear

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
#3 interested me. You are exactly right. Making and taking calls only indicates that you have better things to do than pay attention to or be concerned with this critical 5-8 minute situation. On the other hand, "Officer have you seen the new Sanyo phone...?"

</font>
HAHHAHAHAHHAHHA Ken!

Officer, check out this phone, it has speedial for every Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme in the entire USA. HAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-18-2001 | 04:38 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tomm2:
HAHHAHAHAHHAHHA Ken!

Officer, check out this phone, it has speedial for every Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme in the entire USA. HAHAHAHAHA
</font>
Don't they already have this system built into their radio units?
Old 06-18-2001 | 04:59 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

a couple you missed:

1) Whatever you do DON'T do this: when asked "do you know how fast you were going?" Don't respond with either: "No, I'm WAY to drunk for that!" or "The numbers were going by too fast for me to read!" or "You mean there really IS a speed limit?" or finally, "Why, are you jealous?!?"

dee

Mind you, I've tried none of these as I like my teeth right where they are!

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 06-18-2001 | 05:04 PM
Pro

or "isn't that what they pay you for??!"....you'll get this "OK, Get out of the car...think your cute, huh....."

------------------
Future "bucket": 96-99 GST/GSX or 93-99 Prelude w/ bolt on turbo
Previous ride: '01 CL-S, Black, dropped 2 in....couldn't make da payments
Old 06-18-2001 | 05:05 PM
Pro

hey, isn't there a couple of cops on this board?? sure they make sh*t money but i'm sure they could afford a cl or cl-s with all that drug money

------------------
Future "bucket": 96-99 GST/GSX or 93-99 Prelude w/ bolt on turbo
Previous ride: '01 CL-S, Black, dropped 2 in....couldn't make da payments
Old 06-18-2001 | 06:11 PM
Meat Popsicle

you guys are a riot.
really.

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments
Old 06-18-2001 | 08:08 PM
10th Gear

How about this?
Cop: Do you know what would happen if you hit a deer doing 60?
Speeding CL-S: Gee officer, I didn't know a deer could do 60!

Insta-ticket.

------------------
2001 CL-S; Red/Parchment
Old 06-18-2001 | 08:40 PM
Red X

what you got to do is:
cop: let me see your license and registration
you: my license is suspended and the car is stolen...oh wait i think i saw it when i hid my gun in the glove compartment.
cop: you have a gun?
you: thats what i used to kill the owner of the car thats in the trunk.
cop: goes to call for backup
headmaster cop: so you killed a person and stole a car and your license is suspended?
you: no officer, you then show him your license, registration open you trunk and glove compartment and say i bet he told you i was speeding too.

------------------
Not a cl-s owner just yet...but soon enough
Old 06-18-2001 | 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Some great stuff here.

One that used to be recommended by my uncle's long ago here in Jersey was to always have a $20 stuck between your license and registration. I've never had the cajones to try it but if you do, please significantly adjust this amount for the twenty years of inflation that has elapsed since Uncle Vito told me this one.

PS...what a gas, my wife, who works in a business in a town that has like one local family as the entire police dept has come home with guess what? Three spanking new PBA cards. I'm almost dying to try them out, almost.

cheerio

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
17x7.5 BBS RX Rims
K&N Dropin AF
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car
More Pics
Old 06-18-2001 | 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Some great stuff here.

One that used to be recommended by my uncle's long ago here in Jersey was to always have a $20 stuck between your license and registration. I've never had the cajones to try it but if you do, please significantly adjust this amount for the twenty years of inflation that has elapsed since Uncle Vito told me this one.

PS...what a gas, my wife, who works in a business in a town that has like one local family as the entire police dept has come home with guess what? Three spanking new PBA cards. I'm almost dying to try them out, almost.

cheerio

</font>
Buddy! Old Pal, We go WAY back! How bout a PBA card for an 8 pointer

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Park Ave Acura CAI
SilverKnight Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by <A HREF="http://www.Streeteffectz.com

01'Acura" TARGET=_blank>www.Streeteffectz.com

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-18-2001 | 10:43 PM
Adult Supervision

Also,

Don't ask if you can just jump out and take a piss while he writes you up and

Don't ask him where the other Village People are...

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, tires, sheet metal, plastic parts, lots of wires and tubes, leather seats, carpet, lots of nuts and bolts...
Old 06-18-2001 | 11:04 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gmilian:
what you got to do is:
cop: let me see your license and registration
you: my license is suspended and the car is stolen...oh wait i think i saw it when i hid my gun in the glove compartment.
cop: you have a gun?
you: thats what i used to kill the owner of the car thats in the trunk.
cop: goes to call for backup
headmaster cop: so you killed a person and stole a car and your license is suspended?
you: no officer, you then show him your license, registration open you trunk and glove compartment and say i bet he told you i was speeding too.

</font>
LMAO...I'd love to see someone try that one.
Old 06-18-2001 | 11:12 PM
Team Owner

My personal favorite: “Why are you hassling me….PIG”

Shawn S

------------------
Make me an offer….It’s FOR SALE when the 6-Speed MANUAL comes out, I HATE the SLUSH SHIFT !!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - X****r CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 06-18-2001 | 11:22 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

From dyno_cl_s:
or "isn't that what they pay you for??!"....you'll get this "OK, Get out of the car...think your cute, huh....."

----

Is the anal probe next?

Rob M.
Long Island, NY

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S. Satin silver, non-nav, #848
1997 Ford Probe (POST)
Old 06-18-2001 | 11:32 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

2 pages yet?

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi and Spoiler
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, Springs, and AEM CAI
I've got one of the CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot!
Old 06-18-2001 | 11:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

All good points....don't be like me and get picked off by the same cop, at the same stop sign, in the same weekend.......he was so F*ing pissed , he wanted to throw me in Jail (cursed his brains out for 10 minutes).

At the time, I first got pulled over in my oldman's black Caddy STS (with 35% tints), chrome wheels....then I got pulled over in my spanking new 95 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition- both rolling stop offenses.

He was like "I know you, I just pulled you over yesterday. Let me tell you something bud, do you think I like sitting in this fucking spot, pulling over fucks like you all day long, etc etc"- for the next god knows how long (started to froth at the mouth).

I subsequently, pleaded innocent .....I saw him in court and he looked at me like he wanted to take a battle Ax and chop my head off with it .

Anyway, guilty on both counts of course.

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS

[This message has been edited by Beltfed (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old 06-18-2001 | 11:44 PM
Instructor

Hey, what about any advice if you're contesting a ticket? I've been pulled over four times in the last two year, and have gotten a ticket each time Recently I got a ticket for supposedly running a red light, which was bullshit, so I contested it. I'm almost embarrased to tell this story because it shows what a chump I am, but it was a good learning experience.

So, show up for the court date and am kickin' it outside the courtroom. This guy comes up to make and asks me if I'm Dave, I say yes, and He starts talking to me about public defenders and the like. I told him I was representing myself and he's all have you ever been in court before and giving me advice on how a trial works and such. So, I'm thinking great, this guy is giving me some good advice and a heads up on what will be going on. Then he asks me what I'm here for and what my deal is, so I tell him all about what really happened at the scene of the supposed crime. He's all good luck and splits. About 10 mins pass by, my name is called, I go into the court room... and guess what, that guy is the city prosecutor! And I just told him everything about my side of the story out in the hall before the trial, and now he's had time to think of what questions to ask me and talk shit over with the officer before the trial. Needless to say, the found me guilty.

Moral of the story, don't talk to anyone about your case. I think it was really shady for the prosecutor to be approaching me before the trial trying to get some info about my defense.

------------------
'98 Black 3.0 CL Prem
Old 06-18-2001 | 11:54 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exxxciteCL:

... and guess what, that guy is the city prosecutor! And I just told him everything about my side of the story out in the hall before the trial, and now he's had time to think of what questions to ask me and talk shit over with the officer before the trial. Needless to say, the found me guilty.

Moral of the story, don't talk to anyone about your case. I think it was really shady for the prosecutor to be approaching me before the trial trying to get some info about my defense.

</font>
That's BS and borderline illegal if you ask me...the guy was misrepresenting himself...damn you just can't trust anyone these days!!

------------------
2001 Eternal Blue Pearl Cl-P
Old 06-19-2001 | 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beltfed:
He was like "I know you, I just pulled you over yesterday. Let me tell you something bud, do you think I like sitting in this fucking spot, pulling over fucks like you all day long, etc etc"- for the next god knows how long (started to froth at the mouth).
</font>
How old were you when this happened? I haven't been cussed at by a cop since I was in my teens. It's funny.... they treat you like this and then wonder why police-community relations aren't any better!
Old 06-19-2001 | 12:07 AM
Kill the Chicken heads

balls

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi and Spoiler
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, Springs, and AEM CAI
I've got one of the CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot!
Old 06-19-2001 | 12:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Around 20 at the time......I wasn't a punk by any stretch, he was having a "bad" day.

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS
Old 06-19-2001 | 12:30 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rgraser:
That's BS and borderline illegal if you ask me...the guy was misrepresenting himself...damn you just can't trust anyone these days!!

</font>
Um, not exactly. Did he ever say he was a public defender because reading from your post it sounds like he was just explaining about public defenders and how the trial works. In any case, this is a traffic case, not a criminal case, so you'll have less rights. Also, if he did anything off color, the most that could happen is a reprimand and your case dropped. Finally, the procesutor has the right to know the facts about your side, just as you have a right to know what the prosecution has. Your strategy during the trial: you don't have to divulge this. You don't have to say I'm thinking of handling it from this angle or whatever (but in some criminal cases, you have to spell out your strategy but not the details).

The prosecutor knowing and finding out the questions you'll ask before, seeing whatever pictures or evidence you have before, knowing who you brought to court as witnesses, etc. before, all legal. How would you like it if the DA brought in a news-reporter that said he had a video tape of your running a stop sign; footage he got while out on routine assignment. After you plead not guilty, the report speaks up and the tape comes out. That's hardly fair to you, you would object to the evidence. Again, since this is traffic court, you have limited recourse (i.e. would it materially affect the outcome of the case). If not, you probably don't have anything to go on.

A lot of that probably doesn't really apply to you but I just wanted to get some of that out because a lot of folks watch too much TV about court and court case. Sounds like in your case, you were basically tricked into giving up the goods, which is not illegal, but perhaps unethical and/or sneaky. All the prosecutor would say is "he didn't tell me anything that I used to bolster my case..." or "he volunteered everything...." blah blah blah. If I were you, I would have told it to the judge that you felt as though you were treated unfairly by what the DA did and ask for a break. A judge can do pretty much whatever he wants to and does have that flexibility in a traffic case. But there's nothing illegal here; not that I read in your post. Moral is beware and learn from your experiences.

In one of my previous speeding ticket court case, the DA tried to introduce the fact that I had a bumper sticker on my car. The bumper sticker had a 55-mph speed limit sign crossed out with the Red X symbol. "I object your Honor, this information is irrelevant and have no bearing on this case. I also had no prior knowledge that the prosecution was going to introduce this information as part of their case." All they were suppose to use was the ticket and the officer's testimony and the radar info and the facts. Judge threw it out. I still lost but the courtroom (and the DA) was impressed that I had a sustained objection.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-19-2001 | 01:02 AM
Instructor

Did he ever say he was a public defender because reading from your post it sounds like he was just explaining about public defenders and how the trial works.</font>
No, he never said he was a public defender, just talking to me about them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, if he did anything off color, the most that could happen is a reprimand and your case dropped.
</font>
That sounds great!

But, I probably should have mentioned it in the trial. If I mention it now it'll be like, well, wtf? That is essentially why I lost the case, they're like, if that is what really happened, why didn't you mention it to the cop when he pulled you over? They didn't like it when I told them because no other cop had ever cared about what I had to say (which is true....)

The other thing, the cop made it sound like he was driving around and approached the intersection with the light being green on his side and me almost hitting him, which is bullshit. He was parking on the side of the road waiting to nab people, and I drove back later to take some notes and look at the intersection and he had pulled someone else over. When it came time for me to question him, I asking him were you stopped on the side of the road, not driving around like in your previous testimony when the prosecutor question him, and he said No. How am I supposed to argue that? Just say, no you weren't? I need to mount a camera on my car so I can catch the sneaky bitches in the future...

In the end they reduced the fine to make up for the court costs so the dollar amount ended up being the same... it's all about generating revenue.

The other thing, if they're entiled to my evidence, why aren't I entitled to theirs? I went to the records dept. before the trial and asked for any notes the cop may have taken, and they said he had none. Yet at trial he did....

------------------
'98 Black 3.0 CL Prem
Old 06-19-2001 | 02:30 AM
Instructor

OK, I feel the need to respond to exxxciteCL and Kensteele--there are a few things that should be cleared up.... (Why is she qualified to do this, you may ask? Because I'm a lawyer, albeit not practicing right now. I work as a consultant, in the interest of full disclosure.)

exxciteCL: What the prosecutor did violates the ethics code all lawyers are held to. This is statutory, and violations are treated seriously. We are all required to take this oath before we become members of any state's bar. Sanctions can range from a reprimand to disbarment, meaning the attorney can't practice law anymore. Granted, your violation did not involve jail time, which changes things a bit, but the prosecutor is still prohibited from doing something like that without revealing who he is. You should have asked to speak to the judge as soon as you found out. It's quite possible the ticket would have been dismissed. In addition, you could have filed a complaint with your state's bar association, alleging a violation of the code of professional responsibility. Depending on how long ago this was, you may still be able to. Another reason to take a lawyer to court with you for even the most trivial traffic ticket. Unfortunately, not every attorney takes the code of professional responsibility as seriously as most.

Kensteele: I am impressed by your grasp of this kind of information, but there are some mistakes in your statement. A defendant (or his attorney) is under no obligation in this kind of case to disclose how he is going to conduct his defense--not the details or the strategy--that's defined as work product and never subject to discovery. (The exception is in murder cases if a defendant intends to use the insanity defense. Then they are required to notify the prosecution before the trial even begins.) So a prosecutor finding out what questions are going to be asked, etc. is a violation of the ethical code and the rules of criminal courts. The only thing each side is entitled to is a list of witnesses and some of the evidence i.e. results of scientific tests, psychiatric evaluations, photos, drawings or electronic recordings. That's it. Witness statements do not have to be shown to the other side, but that doesn't prohibit interviewing opposition witnesses independently.

Your hypothetical of the TV reporter is somewhat accurate, with a few exceptions. If the defense doesn't know this is coming, they can object (because this is an electronic recording and subject to pretrial discovery) and have the video supressed. The prosecutor could never surprise a defendant like that. And yes, this evidence does materially affect the outcome of the case.

There is not that much difference in the rules of procedure and evidence for traffic cases. For the sake of simplicity they are considered criminal cases. Where the difference comes in is when there is the likelihood of a year or more of jail time...then the prosecution is held to an even higher standard. Remember, the burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the defense, and it must be beyond a reasonable doubt even if the trial is in front of a judge.

What the prosecutor did in exxxciteCL's case was not only unfair but also unethical, in addition to violating the rules of procedure and evidence. The judge would have been compelled to dismiss the case and in a perfect world,the prosecutor would be sanctioned by his state's bar association.

Now, so you don't feel like I've been brutal your objection in your case was perfect--right on point and in line with the rules. That bumper sticker (or photo) was a tangible piece of evidence that the DA was required to give to you beforehand. Way to go! You shoulda been a lawyer. :-D

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be thorough.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver 3.2 CL (no S because of the lead foot)
Old 06-19-2001 | 03:03 AM
Race Director

Hehe, I tried, but I'm not lawyer. Can't argue with a real lawyer from inside the beltway. That's why it's always best to consult with a [good] lawyer first.

In times when I don't have an attorney, I believe I can hold my own. Thanks, mfnlaw.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 06-19-2001).]
Old 06-19-2001 | 03:42 AM
Instructor

Hehe, I tried, but I'm not lawyer. Can't argue with a real lawyer from inside the beltway. That's why it's always best to consult with a [good] lawyer first.

In times when I don't have an attorney, I believe I can hold my own. Thanks, mfnlaw.

</font>
Not a problem Ken. I just wanted everyone to know that prosecutors have limits too; ones that are often more stringent than defense attorneys. Knowing how things are supposed to go is your best defense in a courtroom. And I'm glad you're not upset at my reply...

For everyone else, his advice is good. Get an attorney if you can. It will save you time, money and grief in the long run. There are a bunch of us out there that are decent, hardworking, and non-bloodsucking. I don't say this to line my pockets, remember I don't practice law. (I decided I wanted a life outside of work.)

------------------
2001 Satin Silver 3.2 CL (no S because of the lead foot)