Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001 | 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Autocross

I'm going to be autocrossing in my first SCCA event either 01/28 or 02/18, here in the Bay Area (California). Anyone else autocross in this area or any other? If so, how did it go, how did the car feel, etc.? Any info from locals or anyone with some general experience would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-10-2001 | 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

I did an autocross last summer. It was my first one ever. THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN!! I really enjoyed it. My times suck because this car isn't really meant for auto-X'ing and because I'm really just not a very good driver when it comes to the twisties. But it is STILL SO MUCH FUN!!!!! You'll want to make sure you brake early enough in the turns since the car is FWD. Otherwise that 3500lbs will just plow ahead in the direction it was going. Also, be aware of throttle lift oversteer. I got the rear of my car to slide out pretty far and almost did a 180 ( ) when I blasted around a left turn then let off the throttle while entering a right turn. The rear end lightened up when the weight was transferring and the tail got happy
(I think I'm explaining this correctly)

I'm looking forward to trying again with my springs and sways. My car was totally stock last summer.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Old 01-10-2001 | 11:56 AM
Advanced

PimpGold,
I have autocrossed my CL-S several times in and around the Bay Area. It is a blast. Don't worry about your times. Just use this as an opportunity to test out the limits of your driving skills and the cars limits. The only penalty is one second per cone if you get a little to crazy. Also beware, towards the end of 2000, SCCA now requires you to become a member, and receive your membership card (by mail) before participating in their events.
Good luck,
Kevin
Old 01-10-2001 | 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Sounds like a blast. Let us know how you do!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:46 PM
Racer

I've auto-x twice with my silver cl-s and it's been cool. I would suggest that you inflate your front tires to 50psi and rear to around 48 or so. You want the back to move a bit easier. Take out EVERYTHING! Spare, mats, change ect. The car is pretty quick, and holds well for the most part (new rubber would be better though). You'll find that your times are quicker when you concentrate on driving and not speed. It's an awsome way to learn and great fun. Good Luck!! Both races for me were in NY for me, aske others that are there for tips. Watch out for the Type R's they'll kill ya! BMW's easy kills.
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:34 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mercury:
I've auto-x twice with my silver cl-s and it's been cool. I would suggest that you inflate your front tires to 50psi and rear to around 48 or so. You want the back to move a bit easier. Take out EVERYTHING! Spare, mats, change ect. The car is pretty quick, and holds well for the most part (new rubber would be better though). You'll find that your times are quicker when you concentrate on driving and not speed. It's an awsome way to learn and great fun. Good Luck!! Both races for me were in NY for me, aske others that are there for tips. Watch out for the Type R's they'll kill ya! BMW's easy kills.</font>
I agree with you 150%. Tire pressure makes such a HUGE difference as well as the other suggestions. Here's another biggie...go with just enough fuel to do the event. Gas weighs about 6lbs a gallon (maybe more, I can't remember!). Have a blast!

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 01-11-2001 | 01:10 AM
Advanced

I've autocrossed my silver CL-S a few times in the Bay Area and beyond (Golden Gate Fields near Berkeley and in Monterey). It is a bit of a dissapointment after being used to my old Honda Civic with bigger wheels and sticky tires. The weight of the CL-S is a big disadvantage in the tight, twisty stuff.

If you do go to Golden Gate Fields, beware. That surface is slippery as hell. My first autocross in the CL-S was here and after that experience I couldn't believe how bad our car handled. After going to some other events, I discovered it was the slippery surface, not our car.

I would recommend autocrossing to anybody. It's the most fun you can have for $25 and very educational and possibly life saving.

The best autocross courses I've found are in Sacramento (McClellan AFB). I'm just waiting until the SCCA season starts back up. Woo Hoo.

If anybody is interested, e-mail me and I can tell you how you can drive on sears point raceway all day long for $300 on Feb 1. I will be there...looking forward to my first race track experience.
Old 01-11-2001 | 01:46 AM
Advanced

oh, by the way, PimpGold...
I may go to one or both of those events. I will keep an eye out for you. I have a Silver CL-S with 18" BBS wheels.

I have never been to a 3-Com or Oakland Colliseum autocross.

Travis
Old 01-11-2001 | 08:05 AM
Intermediate

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I'll be certain to post my experiences after my first race, for your edification Twhitted, I'm not sure about the Jan. 28th race, I will make that one if our run group is in the morning, so I can make the Super Bowl that afternoon, otherwise I'll be at the Feb. 18th race for sure! Btw, what class were you in last year, and do you know if you'll be in the same one this year? What cars are in that class? If we're in the same class as Type R's, I'd imagine we'll have our work cut out for us!
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:30 PM
Advanced

If your car is stock, the CL-S is in the GS class. That is what I've run in before...now that I've put on bigger wheels I don't know what class I'm going to run in. This class runs with Type-R's, BMW's, IS300...pretty much any V-6 sedan or powerful 4-cylinder.

One trick to running when you want (morning or afternoon) is to run in the street tire class if GS is a bad time. You can also run out of class if you don't care about your overall season score.

If you have any questions about SCCA, let me know and I might be able to help you out. It's always the first autocross that is the hardest since everything is new.
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:36 PM
Racer

I've raced Maximas, Pontiac Grand AM's/ Prix, Integra R's (will kick your ass!) ((they aren't in our class next year!)) Audi TT's (we're faster, they stick better). I go for time against BMW's of any type and have beaten all but one modified M3 (they're in a diff class). Eclipses are pretty good, and the Jetta's, well they're Jettas. That's about all, make sure you race as a novice and don't talk about our 260hp, last thing I want is to be back with the R's again. With slicks we should keep up fine, but with stock tires we're toast.
Old 01-12-2001 | 05:37 AM
Intermediate

My car is bone stock, it's a lease, so I've been hesitant to do anything to it, for fear of A. Getting bored with it (not a danger so far) B. Having to store everything I replace just so I can put it back on when the lease is up. I really wish I hadn't leased it, I'll never do that again. I'm relieved to read Mercurys post, knowing that I won't have to compete with Type R's is a big relief!! Do you run in SportShift mode? That seems to be the most likely way to me, and do you ever have an opportunity to shift into 3rd gear? Second goes all the way up to 69 mph, do the courses allow for speeds much greater than that?
Old 01-12-2001 | 12:22 PM
Advanced

I put it in SS mode to prevent it from going any higher than 2nd. I've only been on one course that required 3rd gear and that was an insanely long straight away.
Old 01-12-2001 | 03:10 PM
Racer

SS in 2nd is the way that I've been going and so far the results are good. There isn't any time to check speed on a course but I have never hit the limiter while on a course either. I'd say stay SS and just drive her through the course. I've raced VSA on and Off and definitely say OFF is advantageous. Most courses are pretty short and twisty, I prefer something with a good straight piece to flex some CL-S muscle but I've only raced one with a long strip and a slalom at the end of it.