auto to MANUAL conversion, already have the tranny, from a 2006tl 6SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:41 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation auto to MANUAL conversion, already have the tranny, from a 2006tl 6SPEED

auto to manual conversion. question? whats easier

i have a complete 06 tl motor and tranny , and i want to do a manual swap on my 3.2cl-s, the car is a 2001, keep in mind i already have a comptech supercharger for the 01 cl-s(not installed yet).

basicly im gonna do this swap next week, but i dont know if it would be easier to swap the whole motor and tranny from the 06 to my 01, or would it be easier to just install a manual tranny on my original motor! and if its easier to install motor and tranny, with the mounts all be the same, since there both j32 motors, or will the supercharger fit on the new motor?

im taking the motor out this week from the tl 6speed 06, but i dont know what to do with it when its out , lol, has the harness changed much if at all from the 01-06, i have personaly done many b18-b16-h22 ect. swaps, in civics and integras, but ive never messed with the 6cyl. from honda, acura. so any advise would help!

and please no posts about selling the car and buyiung a manual, cuz its not gonna happen! lol

also, are most of the sensors the same from the two motors, and does anyone know how to convert my computer to standard if i deside to just change the tranny, and add all the likage, also, i asume that the 3.2tl uses cable shifter linkage? so i would just have to route the linkage to the interior like when you do an h22 swap in a civic or integra! right? and i could just use the shifter box from the tl, right? or do i have to buy all the stuff from the cl-s 03 manual? would anyone know what i will be able to salvage from the tl, that i could use for the swap, or prepare me for the things i will have to buy. im not intending on changing the clutch, at least untill the new one comes out from comp. cutches!

ANY GOOD INFO WOULD HELP, AND I WILL POST PICS OF THE SWAP FOR EVERYONES ENJOYMENT!

pics of my car will be up soon aswell!

mods- comptech headers
intake system cold air
19" wheels, hp evo w/235-35-19 tires
lowered with tokiko ilumina and 2.2" drop
pure "versus" body kit, with modded front lip (one of a kind)
installed camber kit front and back
performance exhausts
black housing head lights from 03
supercharger that i will run on 4-5 psi until i get the new clutch,
then i will run 10psi guaranteed on a custom pulley
the car is red in color

BTW: I APPRECIATE ANY INPUT! THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
yea....i dont think that will work.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:11 AM
B A N N E D

get in contact with fsttyms1 on the tl forums he would be a big help to u
Old 10-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Going to take a long time to complete. You need many parts. The 06TL engine is a bit different. You need that ECU also.
Search on this. It's only been done on a older TL, not on a newer CLS.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
his computer would work fine short of the manual transmission somewhere in there isis a control unit for the auto ...weather its seperate or part of the ecu...with that said ..youre better off with your engine and the TL trans as the tl has the exhaust manifold cast into it's heads...so you'd have to loose your headers i assume you have...id also PM ALLMOTOR
Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
8th Gear

thanks guys! i didnt know that the 06 had the manifold cast into the head, hmmmmm, i dont wanna loose my mani, and i think that the 01 is obd2b, right? so that means the new 06 must be a totaly diff, harness, so i would go though hell and back to put in that motor with my harness! from the way i see it, im gonna have to use the tranny from the 06, i dont see anyreason why it shouldnt work! ill keep you al informed! im also gonna try and put on the brembo brake package from the 06 tl! see if i can change the spindlesto have better brakes, cuz mine always warp! pics will be up soon! later
Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Just keep in mind it's not a simple thing. Or cheap. Don't expect it to just work. If you have the $$ & just want to do it then go ahead. If your trying to save anything by swapping the 6MT your going to have your ass handed to you.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
This is quite the ambitious project, good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:16 PM
8th Gear

well i have alot of experience doing things like this to civic preludes and integras, as ive owned at least one of each, and alway do something different, plus ive done many swaps in my time for customers, also i am good with 9bd1, and obd2 honda computers, but i figuer if you could convert a obd2 prelude computer to manual, than you could convert a cl, just takes some knowledge about circuts and stuff, but if anyone has any quick answers for some of my questions, it would help me get through this a bit quicker! lol, but i will do this mod/swap for sure, i cant stand staying auto, and i dont want to buy an s2000 like everybody else, cuz its not for me! i think most cl owners can understand me about that! lol

thanks for the input, pics will be up tomorrow so stay tuned!!!! laterz
Old 10-16-2006, 05:20 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like someone mentioned above, a very ambitious project indeed and if you can pull it off, a very good guide for future members looking to install a manny tranny in their CL's

good luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:26 PM
B A N N E D

i was thinkin about puttin a 3rd gen tl 6 speed tranny also but the wiring isnt the same
Old 10-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Your mixing too many parts and they will not work together without way too much modification.

The Supercharge will not work with the new TL motor. You'd probably end up spending too much in parts to convert the s/c to work on the J32A3.

The motor and tranny from the new TL will not swap in like a J32A2 and 03 CL-S manual tranny will. Totally different wiring and no one knows if the mounts are the same and what not.

This project could easily be done (auto to 6 speed swap) but you need to find a transmission out of a CL Type S 6 speed and it would all work.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are the man. tranns. housings on the 06tl6 diff from the 03cl6
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
find an 03 CL-S 6 speed tranny, clutch, shifter, bezel, ecu, clutch cylinder... and that would be a bit easier to do. i think the 03 6spd bolts up to the 01 CL-S motor. hardest part is wiring but if u get the ecu it shouldnt be all that bad.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
MP90 uninstalled

get a 03 CLS6 trans. buy most of the parts fsttyms1 had to buy for his 99TLs/p6, probably all of them, and do it that way. Any other way and you may make yourself crazy. fsttyms1 's car was a 1999 TLP, pretty sure, and put a auto TL/CL type-S auto motor with 03CLS6 tranny and everything works perfect. lot of work. i think it cost him $2000 or less.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jproy
get a 03 CLS6 trans. buy most of the parts fsttyms1 had to buy for his 99TLs/p6, probably all of them, and do it that way. Any other way and you may make yourself crazy. fsttyms1 's car was a 1999 TLP, pretty sure, and put a auto TL/CL type-S auto motor with 03CLS6 tranny and everything works perfect. lot of work. i think it cost him $2000 or less.
It cost him around 6k, but he had to buy a motor. Its still not cheap, even if you took out the cost of the motor.
And there are differences between the auto motor and the manual motor. Nothing that can't be swapped out though.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

yea, but i still dont think it's that difficult to bolt a 03 cls 6spd tranny up to an 01 cls motor. the wiring i believe would be harder.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:34 PM
MP90 uninstalled

ok...so maybe I was just a little off on that price. lol
Old 10-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CleanCL
yea, but i still dont think it's that difficult to bolt a 03 cls 6spd tranny up to an 01 cls motor. the wiring i believe would be harder.
It will bolt right up, thats not a problem.

There are just some differences in the motor such as certain sensors and other parts such as cam pulleys.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

cam pulleys wont have any effect on the tranny bolting up, not sure what you mean.

if you are just talking about general differences between the motor itself, i dont think the cam pulleys are vastly different. the tdc sensors are though.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
You are going to do this next week? As in start next week and finish some time around new years? It is NOT easy and it is NOT quick.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Motor mounts are different, cam pulley is different, timing pulley is different, ECU is different, wiring harness is different, gauge cluster is different, exhaust manifolds are different, throttle body is different...

I really hope you know this isn't as simple as unbolting a transmission, installing a clutch pedal, and driving off.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 PM
MP90 uninstalled

the pics from that thread are very nice
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why do it when you can just buy a 6 spd CL? To me it does not make sense. Doing it on an older TL makes a little more sense since they never made it with a 6 speed and it is unique.

Just my thought. If you have a CL auto now, sell it and buy a 6 spd.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by 4ank
Why do it when you can just buy a 6 spd CL? To me it does not make sense. Doing it on an older TL makes a little more sense since they never made it with a 6 speed and it is unique.

Just my thought. If you have a CL auto now, sell it and buy a 6 spd.

smartest answer in this thread.

to swap in a manual you would have to get a manual ecu since VSA is not available to be used with a manual and you will lose that functionality and you may lose abs as well since it is tied in to that system.

sure trans will bolt up and you will need the manual TB as well, drive shafts...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

If you are really going to do this, i would highly suggest using the j32a2 motor w/ cl 6 speed transmissions. The transmissions are different also to a degree. One of the guys on that had the cl-s 6 speed swap on his accord changed to the newer tl transmission and and to modify something(not sure what).
Old 10-16-2006, 11:49 PM
MP90 uninstalled

why do some of you call it THAT? I am missing something.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Damn you guys really love this shit. go online clean, someone post links of the motors and the TL Tranny. I wanna think about this, seems like it would be cool if completed
Old 10-17-2006, 08:52 AM
8th Gear

i dont see why the tranny wouldnt bolt up, that not my worrie, i was more wondering what things i would loose, like VSA or ABS, but i personaly hate ABS "Absolute Bull Shit Brakes" and vsa, i dont see the use for it in a manual car, doesnt bother me, at all!

i figure if honda/acura motors and trannys have been always changable winthin generations. why not the j32

b series works with trannys from the ls, rs, gs, gsr, typer, sir, civic typer ect.

h series works with trannys from the h22a1, h22a, h22a4, h22a8, f22a, f23, ect.

k series works with trannys from the k20a, k18, k24, civic sir, rsx type s, ect.

ive personaly played with all these motors, and the only thing i could posibly see running into, is maybe vss, reverse light, i dunno, but i never played with anything i had to wire vsa, and abs is usualy on the spindles, not in the tranny! if i would have abs axels, it shouldnt cause a problem with my abs!, and as for the computer, there is a way to trick it like we do with integras, but i just dont know if it will work! i will have to try it out!

and yes down time might be a while, but i live in quebec, canada, and i dont drive the car in the winter, so, down time is not a problem, im already driving my winter car now, a little civic beater!

also i did not know very much about the j32a3, and from what ive heared ive already ruled out the idea of putting that motor, plus i would have to do more custom stuff to put the charger in later! so forget it, but i dont see why i would have to change the throtle body on my motor, just because im putting a manual tranny, there shouldnt be any conflict with the throttle body! i dont need to replicate the manual version 03, i just want to have 6 speeds! lol, anyways, ill keep you all posted! ill be checking in later today with pics! thanks for all the input!!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

your throttle body should work, just need to yank out the vsa. you dont need it, i pulled mine already. so you will need a tube to fill that space. the rear header needs to be the 6 speed design, so your current ones may not fit.

the pulleys have nothing to do with this swap, i dont know why people are bringing them up. they are on the other side of the motor and should not conflict with the transmission in any way.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

You are going to need to swap the ECU and wiring harnesses. No question about it.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

i think out of all the parts, the only thing you might not be able to get from a junkyard in 1 piece is the wireharness, but if you are going that far it isn't too bad to just order it from the dealership

edit: i see you are in canada, good luck finding a 6spd tranny in a junkyard up there.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 AM
8th Gear

bringing the thread back from the dead\!!!!!!

ok, well

IT RUNS, BOOSTS AND WILL BE ON THE DYNO NEXT WEEK!!!!

basicly the car was supercharged on an automatic tranny for a while, and then blew up becuase the car leaned out from a dead pump!

so i found a motor and trany out of a 06tl 6speed
and i ended up selling the car to my brother. he had the motor installed by one of my friends since at the time i wasnt that experienced with anyting other tha basic 4cyl hondas. since then, i have been working fulltime in this busness, and concetrating on tuning and dyno. i have since opened my own shop, and i dont work out of the house anymore...lol, but i have been realy trying to learn as much as possible about anything, and everything, allthough honda is the roots of my work. i build alot of different builds, things you dont see often, and alot of custom fabrication. welding ect.

so back to the story... the supercharger was put back on and a custom pully was made for the alternator for the charger because it didnt line up on the new motor, but it did bolt up!

then we realized that we overshot for the size of the pully, we were aiming for about 8-9 psi but wound up with the pully at like 12-13psi

anyways....

i then was about to finish of the car, finalize some of the things it needed for it to run on the charger, we were talking about putting an intercooler, and doing some clean piping. and while talking to my brother about his setup, we randomly desided to ditch the supercharger, and go turbo!!!!!

SO....

basicly the following 4 days was spend stripping off the charger and all its components. and building a cutom made manifold for the new motor, and running a single turbo setup, with a 60-1 t4 turbo form the 350z turbonetics kit.

i had some parts laying around that i pretty much gave away to my brother, and we basicly built a complete turbo kit out of some random material at the shop. i welded up his manifold in the forst two days, and the rest was just patience and time. i wanted it to be clean, without any heat problems or anything, so heat wrapped the whole thing, brackets all over the manifold for support, and overall, were happy with the way it turned out.

i converted the intercoolder to single sided like i do with the k20 turbo setups, and i passed on pipe directly by the rad support. and the other on the side where the piping always does.

you could see from the pics what i mean..

there are already 550cc injectors on the car, and a new pump to go with that, so it worked out well!

pics are comming up...

ok... so, i brought the car for a bit of street tuning before we hit the dyno. and all i have to say is WOW. first of all... im very impressed. and my brother is so happy hes bouncing off the walls (i ALMOST feel bad i sold it to him for my s2000 turbo).

now all i am waiting for is my dyno to be installed. i am moving into a new shop and will have my dyno in the first week of next month(basicly in two weeks), and well see how she pulls.

i will upload some pictures and videos for you pleasure!

and dyno vids will be up soon, for now the only pics i have is from a few hours before i got the car running, but more will be up soon.

from now until the dyno day, the car is getting painted after all the hard work, it needs a freshen up.

and for the pics...

Last edited by mtlmotorsport; 03-27-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Wow, definitely an update...3 years later!

Welcome back and thanks for sharing!

Keep us posted of your ambitious project...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 AM
8th Gear

sorry about all the spelling mistakes, i wrote the post realy fast, and i have my wire to my mouse passing on top of the keyboard, lol so i keep tapping the wrong keys... anyways, 3 years later you would think i would know how to spell, lol jks

btw, the way the car is now, i pulled on a vortec supercharged s2000 at 7psi, only shifting at about 5000rpm and boosting like 5psi. hehe, this thing is gonna be crazy at 8-9 pounds. cant wait for the dyno day!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:53 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!

No kidding...thread from the dead!

Thanks for thinking of us!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
This sounds amazing! I wish i could see pics at work I can't wait to see dyno #s.

You're in Quebec?! What did you do with the S/C off the CL?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mtlmotorsport
sorry about all the spelling mistakes, i wrote the post realy fast, and i have my wire to my mouse passing on top of the keyboard, lol so i keep tapping the wrong keys... anyways, 3 years later you would think i would know how to spell, lol jks

btw, the way the car is now, i pulled on a vortec supercharged s2000 at 7psi, only shifting at about 5000rpm and boosting like 5psi. hehe, this thing is gonna be crazy at 8-9 pounds. cant wait for the dyno day!!!
5k rpm? sounds like you are runing in limp mode.
is that the case?

and what is your location. would you be willing to sell me the dimensions of the piping? eg, length, girth, and length before bends, bend angles? the wholse she-bang? i need a turbo and this seems like a pretty solid build
Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
B A N N E D

Oh yeah bro that's sick..........
Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah man you can just buy a 03 6 speed for what your gona spend on that auto

Quick Reply: auto to MANUAL conversion, already have the tranny, from a 2006tl 6SPEED